Options For Watching Olympic Events In Pattaya At Home (Sophon, Etc.)

Jingthing

Starting this thread so people can share the ways they will be watching Olympic events here at home.

Personally, I have Sophon but don't use it much.

What channels on Sophon, Thai and otherwise, will be showing these events?

The more details the better, including times shown, Thailand time.

Of course most of us know about torrents, etc. but looking for ways of watching the events real time.

However, open to hearing about most any methods here.

Started this in the Pattaya forum for obvious reasons ... broadcasts will be localized in Thailand

If its on Sophon it will probably have Thai commentary Think BBC3 or perhaps BBC radio 5 live commentary in English that can be picked up on the computer will be covering the Olympics,perhaps out of sync though with Sophon TV broadcast

If its on Sophon it will probably have Thai commentary Think BBC3 or perhaps BBC radio 5 live commentary in English that can be picked up on the computer will be covering the Olympics,perhaps out of sync though with Sophon TV broadcast

Well the Thai channels will understandably be focused on events with Thai athletes. Is BBC radio streamed in Thailand? UK video content is blocked here.

So what time Thailand time do the OPENING ceremonies start? I'm sure that must be covered somewhere even on Sophon ...

Edited by Jingthing

Well the Thai channels will understandably be focused on events with Thai athletes. Is BBC radio streamed in Thailand? UK video content is blocked here.

So what time Thailand time do the OPENING ceremonies start? I'm sure that must be covered somewhere even on Sophon ...

Sure BBC radio not blocked on computer,put in webwarper or something to unblock UK video

i got an email from thai expat tv today they are giving free trial for the opening through to sunday worth a look.

opening starts at 9pm uk so 3 am here dont think i will wait up for that one even though i will miss the 70 sheep performing !!

Edited by dazk

just got todays bangkok post and true have a full page ad on the olympics "catch the games live exclusively to true visions to subscribe call bla bla bla"

so looks like only available on true visions unbelievable, so only the rich get to watch there countrymen perform, if the thais are interested in the olympics that is

I noticed today that ESPN7 is now availaible on channel 72 on Sophon. Hopefully that will be covering the opening ceremony and other events. I want to see the ceremony, but won't be watching it live. I've got a HDD recorder so will be setting that.

Amazingly, BBC have already started blocking their daytime internet Radio internet streams as all their programmes are 'Olympic related'. So there is absolutely no chance of even hearing any sport from the BBC for the next 2 weeks unless you have a VPN.

I do feel it is rather sad that all their devoted radio 5 listeners in the far corners of the earth are suddenly cut off for 2 weeks or more without so much as a 'by your leave'.

Same goes for TV (BBC and ITV) which is always blocked unless you have a VPN.

Fortunately, these days my internet BTV speed is so good that even though the VPN cuts the speed to less than 50%, it is still sufficient to watch live, or time delayed TV from the UK, and also listen to Radio 5.

That's my solution - get a VPN. I am looking forward to a real feast of sport, BTV connection permitting.

Amazingly, BBC have already started blocking their daytime internet Radio internet streams as all their programmes are 'Olympic related'. So there is absolutely no chance of even hearing any sport from the BBC for the next 2 weeks unless you have a VPN.

I do feel it is rather sad that all their devoted radio 5 listeners in the far corners of the earth are suddenly cut off for 2 weeks or more without so much as a 'by your leave'.

Same goes for TV (BBC and ITV) which is always blocked unless you have a VPN.

Fortunately, these days my internet BTV speed is so good that even though the VPN cuts the speed to less than 50%, it is still sufficient to watch live, or time delayed TV from the UK, and also listen to Radio 5.

That's my solution - get a VPN. I am looking forward to a real feast of sport, BTV connection permitting.

This doesn't surprise me at all i'm afraid. The measures being taken by the Olympic organizers, (LOCOG), to protect companies sponsoring the games wouldn't be out of place in the old Soviet Union. 800 businesses in towns where events are being held have been banned from selling chips, to protect McDonalds. There is even a list of banned words that cannot be used by businesses. 300 uniformed Olympic police have been sent out around the country to enforce this, with a 20,000 pound fine for any transgressors. A family butchers in Weymouth, where the yachting events are being held, put a display of raw sausages in his window in the form of the Olympic rings, they came steaming in and ordered him to remove them! People wearing T shirts etc displaying a logo of a non sponsor will not be allowed into games venues even if they have tickets. The UK tax payers have stumped up nearly 12 billion pounds for these games, the sponsors, McDonalds, Pepsi etc have even been given tax free status so none of their profits will come back to the UK. So much for 'The People's Games', and all the rhetoric about local businesses reaping the benefits of having the Olympics in their area. I believe Lord Sebastian Coe has done very well out of it though!
  • Like 2

What a waste of taxpayers money ,they cant afford to give pensioners living out here the yearly rises ,but they can afford all this dross, also i see before the games have even started one African has claimed asylum ,and they reckon at least 2% of the other athletes will and thats not counting the visitors who will stay when its over.

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

The UK tax payers have stumped up nearly 12 billion pounds for these games, the sponsors, McDonalds, Pepsi etc have even been given tax free status so none of their profits will come back to the UK.

The major sponsors - McD, Coke (Pepsi are not a sponsor), GE, and Visa have all turned down the tax-exemption offer, which now applies primarily only to individual foreign athletes. It was part of the original bid for the games, and is normal practice for any bids - that it was offered and subsequently turned down has given them far better publicity than the relatively small tax break would have brought them.

• Like 1

looks like channel 3 for free to air, just been watching highlights of the opening ceremony

listing for today from the bangkok post

14.00 ESPN

14.30 NBT

15.00 True sport 5/6/ HD

16.00/21.30 Channel 3

looks like channel 3 for free to air, just been watching highlights of the opening ceremony

listing for today from the bangkok post

14.00 ESPN

14.30 NBT

15.00 True sport 5/6/ HD

16.00/21.30 Channel 3

I watched the Opening Ceromony expecting dross - but I thought it was fantastic - the dance just before the athletes came in to Abide With Me was the highlight.

What a waste of taxpayers money ,they cant afford to give pensioners living out here the yearly rises ,but they can afford all this dross, also i see before the games have even started one African has claimed asylum ,and they reckon at least 2% of the other athletes will and thats not counting the visitors who will stay when its over.

Might be better airing your prejuidices elsewhere.

Might be better airing your prejuidices elsewhere.

Its Prejuidced to care that all and sundry come from the four corners of the globe to claim free handouts?

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed

just tuned in to channel 3 and there is a message in thai asked the wife basically they apologise but they are not allowed to show the olympics, suppose its to do with true owning the rights to broadcast

also see that euro sports can not show in thailand but are showing in europe

Edited by dazk

I watched the opening ceremony all night long last night on Sophon. Channel 21. Thai commentary of course but the English from the ceremony was clear. Swimming race happening now on the same channel.

Edited by Jingthing

I watched the opening ceremony all night long last night on Sophon. Channel 21. Thai commentary of course but the English from the ceremony was clear. Swimming race happening now on the same channel.

what is channel 21 dont have sophon we have JC jomtien cable

ok found it on JC channel 24 thats thai channel 9

Edited by dazk

just tuned in to channel 3 and there is a message in thai asked the wife basically they apologise but they are not allowed to show the olympics, suppose its to do with true owning the rights to broadcast

also see that euro sports can not show in thailand but are showing in europe

I'm staying in a hotel outside BKK now with some cable system, not sure the provider, and got the same blackout notice when Channel 3 went to Olympics coverage starting about 4 pm this afternoon... See my post and screen cap of the blackout notice in this related thread...

for premium package holders True are offering eight HD channels to cover the events

dont true own the rights so not sure if it will be on other channels

They definitely won't be on GMMZ then w00t.gif

I'm assuming True has the exclusive local CABLE rights....

I don't have over the air reception via antenna... But I'm assuming the local station coverage will get thru there, to whatever extent the local channels decide to air it.

I'm watching the 400m men's freestyle swimming heats on Sophon right now (ESPN 7 live). It's very unusual as there is absolutely no commentary whatsoever. You can just hear the water and the crowd.

the best way to watch the olympics in thai is online. the IOC has an official youtube channel and you can watch all the events (with english commentry) live. here. opening was great last night, stayed up till 7am to watch it. everyone loves mr bean! cycling atm...

• Like 2

the best way to watch the olympics in thai is online. the IOC has an official youtube channel and you can watch all the events (with english commentry) live. here. opening was great last night, stayed up till 7am to watch it. everyone loves mr bean! cycling atm...

I've found the ESPN 7 on Sophon very good so far. Opening ceremony and repeat were great. I'm enjoying the swimming without any commentary

I watched the Opening Ceromony expecting dross - but I thought it was fantastic - the dance just before the athletes came in to Abide With Me was the highlight.

Rowan Atkinson,s contribution was the highlight for me, very funny!biggrin.png

• Like 1