Thai Eating Habits

coolhandjoe

I've found after many years of routine, there is still no ryhme or reason to it.

In the west it's breakfast at 7.30 am, Lunch at mid day and dinner at 6 pm.

In Thailand people seem to eat anytime!

Also eating habits as in noise and talking during meals, it's all still mystifing.

eg: One of my partners fiends smashes the spoon on her front teeth with every mouthful

Please feel free to share your observations and experiences....

Thais eat when they're hungry. They don't need a clock to tell them when that is.

Nothing wrong with that, just carn't understand frying food at all hours of day and night.

Neither can I but I can't understand having curry for breakfast either biggrin.png

• Like 2

What puzzles me is that for a country with a justifiably world famous cuisine

I wish that I could see why it is justifiably famous. To me it is OK and nothing more (and some of it is bordering on revolting). I rather live here than anywhere else, but the food is not one of the reasons.

I wish that I could see why it is justifiably famous. To me it is OK and nothing more (and some of it is bordering on revolting). I rather live here than anywhere else, but the food is not one of the reasons.

i also think its extremely overrated...

when tourists come here, they might be thrilled by a different taste, preparation, but in the long term, you cant live on that limited nutritional values... its not a diet for a physically working population...

its imo the most simple "cooking" possible... everything is cut into tiny pieces, so you just pull it for a few seconds through the pan or the boiling water, and thats it...

the more "complicated" things like bakery are here entirely unheard of...

Edited by ddpffft
  • Like 1

Thais eat when they're hungry. They don't need a clock to tell them when that is.

Nothing wrong with that, just carn't understand frying food at all hours of day and night.

Neither can I but I can't understand having curry for breakfast either biggrin.png

i do understand because for many years i had and still have anything for breakfast if i feel like tongue.png

when tourists come here, they might be thrilled by a different taste, preparation, but in the long term, you cant live on that...

there are millions of Thais who live on that "long term" and i want my Thai food five times a week... at least.

when tourists come here, they might be thrilled by a different taste, preparation, but in the long term, you cant live on that...

there are millions of Thais who live on that "long term" and i want my Thai food five times a week... at least.

I love my Thai food as well, as long as it's cooked by my Thai lady. The Thai food in most restaurants is fried in old oil, and liberally dosed with MSG, salt and sugar. It's just not healthy at all. As for food from the carts, absolute rubbish most of it.

• Like 1

I always find it strange when people generalize about Thai food as it is so diverse, it really takes a bit of exploring and trial and error to find what you like. If you are "set in your ways" as to meal time and "proper" foods for each meal, you will need to adapt. Not health food?, try a meal of grilled fish, nam prik with steamed veggies, (norhthern style) ..... If you only go to the same types of restos, it can seem limiting. I am amazed at the variety of food here, to really get a taste, go to the fresh markets at various times of day and night and sample, there are about 50 items that are wrapped in leaves, then steamed or grilled. Some are good, others not good. The first Thai language you should learn is food talk, how to ask, what is this made from? If you know how to tell the cook, don't add this or not so much oil, not salty , you can get it how you like it.

• Like 1

grilled fish, nam prik with steamed veggies, (norhthern style)

call it "nam prik", at the end of the day its fish with veggies, you will get in every country bordering to the sea...

though, the "steamed veggies" i find interesting, in the street kitchens around bangkok i also thought they steam the veggies, but in fact they pull them through boiling water... this is also the technique at MK - or did i miss the steaming there?

grilled fish, nam prik with steamed veggies, (norhthern style)

call it "nam prik", at the end of the day its fish with veggies, you will get in every country bordering to the sea...

though, the "steamed veggies" i find interesting, in the street kitchens around bangkok i also thought they steam the veggies, but in fact they pull them through boiling water... this is also the technique at MK - or did i miss the steaming there?

Nam prik has many varieties, most I don't eat because they contain fermented fish, in the north there is nam prik noom and nam prik ong, not fishy. I avoid aged or fermented fish or meat, no sour pork and no nasty old crabs in my somtam.

Is it really possible to simply categorise food habits of people around the world as good and bad?

I feel that people's food/eating habits generally depends on many factors, including but not limited to geographical location, climate, variety of food available locally, affordability etc.

Hence you can see a variety of eating patterns in the same country in different provinces. Also, some people are more adventurous in trying out and adapting to new food while others are not.

Just thinking...

the eating hours in the west stem from the work (on the fields)... where things were mostly done in teamwork...

when you are working (employed) you cant eat when you like...

Actually one suspects the actual timing of meals in the west stems from the industrial revolution rather than working in the fields.

As far as I am aware the Great British "Full Monty" breakfast came about with British miners because of the number of calories the job required ie 3000 to 4000, so they loaded up before their shifts to keep them going during the day

Being a Lanna girl, Wifey makes Nam prik noom and nam prik ong, both which I consume in large amounts.

When I first arrived to live here I found the Thai's eating habits rather odd but I've got used to it and regard everything I see as normal. I made a Birthday Cake for our Niece yesterday, a Chocolate Marble Cake covered in dark chocolate coating and suitably decorated, candles etc. After consuming this with gusto three family members turned their attention to the highly spiced Somtam and devoured large amounts of that. We would never dream of eating the way they do but hey; it's their country and their way.

When it comes to (most) food courts, street food and such, I agree: it's OK but nothing special.

But there is a lot of great food at more expensive restaurants outside the tourist belts. There you won't get away with much less than 1000 Baht for 2 people, but it is worth.

Compared to upper class Chinese, Japanese, French or Italian food, Thailand cannot compete IMHO.

But Thailand is still one of the few countries where i can tolerate the food over a longer period. For example, Indian food is great. But after 4 weeks nonstop I get sick of it. While Thai food is always quite eatable for me .

The reason why Thais eat so much trash food is simple: they like it. The common person is not sophisticated, nowhere in the world. That's why trash food is so famous world wide. Trash food fulfills a market demand.

Personally i think it's great that food times are not regimented, why should they be unless required to fit in with a schedule, ie kids school day meals or working hours.

I love the fact that my wife thinks nothing of starting to cook up a few quick dishes at midnight if we are both a bit hungry.

Regarding table manners, i think thai youngsters are a lot more polite and refined around the table than western kids who won't even sit at the table, can't use a knife and fork and only eat pizza and burgers.

All generalisations obviously but on the whole thats my experience of it.

Generally speaking, the physiology of a Thai person is that of a slim, lean, shortish person. Their eating habits have developed over centuries accordingly, and also because of what food resources are abundant in their countryside.

I think most farang can't sustain themselves on this sort of food because of our larger physiques. I try to stick to a Thai diet, but once in a while I know I need a fix of steak and chips to get my blood supplies balanced.

I must say that I am noticing more and more fat Thais over recent years. Take a peek in any BKK McDonalds restaurant, and you will see plenty of porkers sitting at the tables chewing away on a Big Machlestorol and large coke. I guess with a developing economy and higher standards of living, the Western curse of obesity has found its way to the Land of Smiles.

Generally speaking, the physiology of a Thai person is that of a slim, lean, shortish person. Their eating habits have developed over centuries accordingly, and also because of what food resources are abundant in their countryside.

I think most farang can't sustain themselves on this sort of food because of our larger physiques. I try to stick to a Thai diet, but once in a while I know I need a fix of steak and chips to get my blood supplies balanced.

I must say that I am noticing more and more fat Thais over recent years. Take a peek in any BKK McDonalds restaurant, and you will see plenty of porkers sitting at the tables chewing away on a Big Machlestorol and large coke. I guess with a developing economy and higher standards of living, the Western curse of obesity has found its way to the Land of Smiles.

How much cholestoral in that yummy deep fried chicken on the street or that deep-fried dough? that they eat every morning? Don't forget those deep-fried but tasty chicken skins. I also like that deep fried pork skin / fat and the spicy dip that goes with it from the north.

• Like 1

How much cholestoral in that yummy deep fried chicken on the street or that deep-fried dough? that they eat every morning? Don't forget those deep-fried but tasty chicken skins. I also like that deep fried pork skin / fat and the spicy dip that goes with it from the north.

Before living in Thailand I was under the misconception that Thai food was healthy, lot's of stir fries and plenty of vegetables. That can be the case if you cook it at home or eat in the more up-market restaurants, but for the average Thai it's plenty of deep-fried (in oil the colour and consistency of motor oil) everything laced with abundant quantities of sugar, salt and MSG. Does taste good though.

Edited by giddyup

the eating hours in the west stem from the work (on the fields)... where things were mostly done in teamwork...

when you are working (employed) you cant eat when you like...

Right: With the industry....as well with the church....you go at a given time to the church and after eating....When you work night shift, of course you eat at different times.

Being a Lanna girl, Wifey makes Nam prik noom and nam prik ong, both which I consume in large amounts.

When I first arrived to live here I found the Thai's eating habits rather odd but I've got used to it and regard everything I see as normal. I made a Birthday Cake for our Niece yesterday, a Chocolate Marble Cake covered in dark chocolate coating and suitably decorated, candles etc. After consuming this with gusto three family members turned their attention to the highly spiced Somtam and devoured large amounts of that. We would never dream of eating the way they do but hey; it's their country and their way.

nam prik ong, - is that the one made with tomatoes? Had it in the market in Chiang rai and went back for seconds. One of the best meals I have enjioyed in Thailand.

Thai food is generally health usually, a lot of the stuff you buy or is popular in the street is Thai junk food.

I mean Thailand rate of heart disease is no even bad, compared to the west. So they are generally eating healthier than most of us you would think.

Its not like Thai's eat crap all day, you see them snacking on fruit, veggies and junk food.

In the west a lot snack on fried crap and sweet stuff.