Bangkok Photos From 1967-1968 Period

z9999

I lived in Bangkok 1967 and 1968 on Soi 8, Sukhumvit Rd, and Soi 11, Paholyothin Rd, but have lost all my photos from that time period. Does anyone have any photos or know of where some might be found on the Internet from that time period. I didn't return to Bangkok until the early 90's and was totally depressed by the changes that had taken place, and couldn't find hardly anything at all that I recognized. Does anyone remember the Silver Star bar on Silom Rd, or the Rome bar? I managed a Thai band called the Zoniks at that time which was covered in the English language newspaper as the best Thai vocal group in Bangkok, and spent much time trying to track the members down to no avail also. They were students at Thommasat University, and the lead guitar player claimed he could play anything after listening to it one time, and proved it when I bought a new Beatle album which they performed that night after listening to it at the drummers house.

45 years later I still have fond memories of that time period.

Mama Noi who is the mamasan at Checkinn99 (between Sukhumvit 5&7) has worked here for 47 years and has her albums are at Checkinn (originally called the Copacabana) working then at the Starlight Club .Guests at the time included Bob Hope / Bing Crosby who sang there during their USO tours. She was invited back to both NewYork and Geneva by them. She has numerous photos of her times from 1965 / 1966 in both the early Sukhumvit days - New Road (Silom) - then via Utapoa where she ran a night club then back to Checkinn for the last 30 years.

Nice photo. I can see an Aussie 'Holden' car in the pic

'66 Hr? I had the 65 HD, loved it. An HR sits up the road from me looking rather pathetic as the paint peels off, heavily modified which has done nothing for it.
  • Like 1