Advice On Swimming Routine

MaxwellsDemon

So now that I've moved into a new apartment that comes with a pool, I thought I'd get into swimming as my exercise of choice. I've been pretty much living a very sedentary lifestyle for (at least) the last year... I'm not fat, but I just don't do much physical activity.

Yesterday evening I did some stretches, and swam a couple of laps (four lengths in a 25m pool) breast stroke, and then came up gasping for air. Heart racing, need more air, but not tired. God, I thought, I'm out of shape. Pushed myself into another lap of front crawl, then had to stop and take a breather for a couple of mins. Tried another lap, and could feel my strokes getting sloppy, until the fifth (or sixth) lap I could not finish in one go. I waited to catch my breath but my triceps also got a sudden pang and so I left the pool.

How bad am I?

Anyone with experience have any suggestions on a good swimmming routine? Mostly just to get back into shape (no need to look sexy but it'd be nice to feel like not dying after a couple flights of stairs).

Is it okay to swim everyday, or should there be rest in between days, etc? Any strokes/techniques to avoid? Any other exercises to do in the water?

I would suggest every other day to give your body a chance to recover.

Regarding being out of breath with freestyle. Your being out of breath is most likely because you're not getting enough air rather than being really out of condition... which gives the illusion freestyle is a lot harder than it really is.

I found this out when I started swimming with a snorkel. I could swim freestyle forever without getting out of breath whereas I'd soon be puffed when breathing the standard way.

Perhaps stick with breaststroke and backstroke or get a swimmer's snorkel. I don't think they'd have them in the sports stores here, but you could order one online.

You're just out of shape and your swimming skills have probably slipped a little. There's no reason you can't swim every day. I do. It's not like weight training.

Build up gradually and your swimming will be much better in a month. You'll feel better, too.

You're just out of shape and your swimming skills have probably slipped a little. There's no reason you can't swim every day. I do. It's not like weight training.

Build up gradually and your swimming will be much better in a month. You'll feel better, too.

Of course its like weight lifting, if you go to your limits you will always need time to recovers. Swimming.. walking... whatever. If you stay well under those limits it does not matter.

• Like 1

Of course its like weight lifting, if you go to your limits you will always need time to recovers. Swimming.. walking... whatever. If you stay well under those limits it does not matter.

Give me 2 out of shape swimmers. Put them on different programs. One swimming every day, the other one ever other day. I'll place bets the latter will keep it up longer, enjoy it more and end up fitter.

One part of taking days off is about physical recovery, but even more important is giving the mind a break.

If a person must train everyday, then do something entirely different on the in between days - such as walking.

Edited by tropo

Give me 2 out of shape swimmers. Put them on different programs. One swimming every day, the other one ever other day. I'll place bets the latter will keep it up longer, enjoy it more and end up fitter.

One part of taking days off is about physical recovery, but even more important is giving the mind a break.

If a person must train everyday, then do something entirely different on the in between days - such as walking.

Marathon runners train nearly every day. I'll bet that competitive swimmers do, too. Weight training involves working the muscles to the point of failure. Swimmers don't do that. That's not to say that taking a break is not a good thing to do.

Marathon runners train nearly every day. I'll bet that competitive swimmers do, too. Weight training involves working the muscles to the point of failure. Swimmers don't do that. That's not to say that taking a break is not a good thing to do.

I have to disagree, swimmers that are building up their routine (like in this case) do go to faillure. If you just swim 2 labs every day (i know its almost nothing) you can do that for ages. But in this case the OP is pushing himself everyday to do more (going to his limits)

I'm glad you brought it up as I knew someone would.

Most marathon runners look like death warmed up or walking skeletons. That daily training extracts a heavy toll on their health and they're usually messed up by the time they're in their 30's.

Competitive swimmers are usually done by their mid-20's. I don't believe they need to train everyday, but it has become conventional practice which most trainers follow because there is a lot of money involved and they don't want to take any chances by experimenting. I seem to remember one very successful competitive swimmer who bucked the system and didn't train everyday.

Even so, these athletes cycle what they do. They don't do the same thing everyday and they certainly don't push themselves to their limit everyday.

@MD, you will find a rapid improvement in your cardiovascular strength.....and you will find a rapid improvenent in your desire to do more 'exercise'.

The trick is, don't sicken yourself with an unrealistic programme, and don't make the pool your enemy. The pool is a leisure facility, so treat it as such. It has the additional benefit of helping you exercise, so use it for that too.

It doesn't take a lot to improve your CV strength, so I suggest you do 5 or 6 lengths at high output then chill out for 5 minutes, then do it again. As you get fitter add in more segments rather than swimming 30 or 40 lengths continuously. As you get fitter reduce the recovery time by one minute segments.

Interval training is more enjoyable and more effective for rapid CV strength gain than endurance. Endurance training is a big commitment, and it's on days when you feel demotivated and you've committed to a 100 length programme that things go to pot and you slide down the slippery slope.

Remember that for the vast majority of the population, myself included, it's not an inability to exercise which is the issue, it's regarding it as a chore. When that happens then the exercise regimen falls by the wayside, so make sure you enjoy what you do, don't take on too much, and you'll find yourself doing it all the time.

You'll also find yourself climbing the stairs rather than waiting on elevators, and find yourself walking to the shops rather than making tuk tuks richer.

Small things are a big difference, but fundamentally, enjoy what you do.

Good luck.

Ps, I'm at my low ebb exercise-wise. I haven't trained for ages due to various excellent but ultimately self defeating excuses so I'm going out to buy a cycle tomorrow to try and get the benefit of the fresh air before winter sets in, then I'll be compelled to rejoin the gym.

Scottish winter days are often not conducive to outdoor exercise. As a rule of thumb Thailand is, when I come back I'll be taking up Muay Thai training again as I love the CV workout I get from that.

nothing wrong with swimming everyday, but dont push yourself everyday.

Pick a baseline distance that you can swim comfortably and every second day push yourself past this distance. As your fitness improves raise the baseline, say every week.

Dont swim past the point where you lose control of your stroke and focus on making your stroke as technically perfect as you can.

25 meters is an annoying distance to train in, if the pool is deep enough try to learn tumble turns.

One of the problems with swimming is that it can be incredibly boring, especially as you build up the distance. Have a varied routine (strokes/distances) to combat this.

I would recommend that you buy a float board and hand paddles and add some kick only or hand only laps to build up your strength. Hand only laps are done by holding the float between your knees and are a great workout for your shoulders, especially if you use hand paddles.

@MD, you will find a rapid improvement in your cardiovascular strength.....and you will find a rapid improvenent in your desire to do more 'exercise'.

The trick is, don't sicken yourself with an unrealistic programme, and don't make the pool your enemy. The pool is a leisure facility, so treat it as such. It has the additional benefit of helping you exercise, so use it for that too.

It doesn't take a lot to improve your CV strength, so I suggest you do 5 or 6 lengths at high output then chill out for 5 minutes, then do it again. As you get fitter add in more segments rather than swimming 30 or 40 lengths continuously. As you get fitter reduce the recovery time by one minute segments.

Interval training is more enjoyable and more effective for rapid CV strength gain than endurance. Endurance training is a big commitment, and it's on days when you feel demotivated and you've committed to a 100 length programme that things go to pot and you slide down the slippery slope.

Remember that for the vast majority of the population, myself included, it's not an inability to exercise which is the issue, it's regarding it as a chore. When that happens then the exercise regimen falls by the wayside, so make sure you enjoy what you do, don't take on too much, and you'll find yourself doing it all the time.

You'll also find yourself climbing the stairs rather than waiting on elevators, and find yourself walking to the shops rather than making tuk tuks richer.

Small things are a big difference, but fundamentally, enjoy what you do.

Good luck.

I have a different view on this. It's better to treat exercise as a job than tie it in with enjoyment. If you do that, you're more likely to quit because sooner or later it will become a chore. If it's a job, you treat it as such and get on with it - just as you always go to work although you don't always enjoy it. You need to work to make money. You need to exercise to stay healthy.

Who enjoys brushing their teeth, washing dishes etc.... but most of us keep doing it.

If I only went to the gym when I was enjoying it I would never go but I always go - never miss a workout. Develop the work commitment and keep motivated by setting goals.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

nothing wrong with swimming everyday, but dont push yourself everyday.

Yes there is. It's incredibly boring, as you stated in your post. Having a break and doing different exercise (walking, bike, gym) on the off days is the best way. Swimming doesn't keep the skeleton strong and should be accompanied by some form of land based exercise - especially in older people who's bones are prone to decalcification. Alternate days, swim - land exercise - swim is the best way by far.

A person cannot develop a technically perfect stroke without coaching, but it is not really all that important when a person is only interested in improving their fitness.

I have to disagree, swimmers that are building up their routine (like in this case) do go to faillure. If you just swim 2 labs every day (i know its almost nothing) you can do that for ages. But in this case the OP is pushing himself everyday to do more (going to his limits)

He hasn't exhausted his muscles on his first time out in years. He's just reached his current aerobic capacity limit. He probably doesn't have enough aerobic capacity TO exhaust his muscles. Aerobic capacity develops quickly, quicker than muscles, and doesn't require a day of recover after every workout. If he wants to swim every day, he'll be fine. If he wants to swim every other day, he'll be fine then, too.

I've been using swimming as a way to keep fit for the last 8 yrs here in Thailand.

I started off with breaststroke as this is one of the easiest for breathing technique.

OP, remember that getting the breathing right is the key to achieving longer distances.

Even if you stick with breaststroke only, you will still get fitter and stronger over time.

My routine is to swim every other day for one hour continuous just before my evening meal.

The other days i jog for one hour again continuous just before my evening meal 6-7pm.

This way i exercise 6 days a week, 3 swim, 3 jog,and give myself one day off a week.

My suggestion to you would be to start with 20-30mins each day and as you get fitter

gradually build it up to one hour.

It might become boring, or a chore to you, but think of it as sacrificing only an hour a day

to reap the rewards of a heathy and fit body.

I'm glad you brought it up as I knew someone would.

Most marathon runners look like death warmed up or walking skeletons. That daily training extracts a heavy toll on their health and they're usually messed up by the time they're in their 30's.

Competitive swimmers are usually done by their mid-20's. I don't believe they need to train everyday, but it has become conventional practice which most trainers follow because there is a lot of money involved and they don't want to take any chances by experimenting. I seem to remember one very successful competitive swimmer who bucked the system and didn't train everyday.

Even so, these athletes cycle what they do. They don't do the same thing everyday and they certainly don't push themselves to their limit everyday.

This all sounds like hearsay from someone who never trained hard. I trained for marathons for some years in my forties, running 70 to 90 miles per week during peak training periods, felt great and had a resting heart beat of 35. Ran a 2 hour 53 min marathon at age 40. The marathoners I knew were all in much better shape than the general population, except that impact injuries mount up over the years for many of them, including me (which is why I now swim every day and have a resting heart beat of 39 at age 63.) Competitive swimmers, like all competitive athletes, reach a peak age that probably depends on the relative importance of fast-twitch muscle in their sport. So, competitive swimmers can't remain competitive as long as baseball players, for example. It doesn't mean that 35 year old swimmers have worn-out their bodies, just that they can't expect to beat 20 year olds.

In any case, I didn't have the impression that the OP was going to train for the Olympics. The guy just wants to get in shape.

I swim in the condo pool every other day. Like the OP, it was very difficult the first month since I hadn't done lap swimming for years. The only thing that kept me going at first was not wanting to waste the big baht I'd spent on a western-size ladies swim suit, googles, cap, ear plugs, etc at Central. That stuff can be expensive here.

My big problem was in being out-of-breath. Overtime, I developed an efficient stoke that was kind of a combination of the sidestroke and freestyle. Someone pointed out that I was doing the Navy Seal Combat Sidestroke. Wow, I had no idea it had a name and is considered the most efficient long-distance swim stroke:

I don't think I'll ever be able to do 500 meters in less than 10 minutes like those guys! My pace is more like 500 meters in 20 minutes. (I usually do at least 1 km each time)

To fight boredom, I download podcasts on an underwater MP3 player (google "underwater MP3 player" for sources). Not surprisingly, I find I make better time when I'm not listening to podcasts, but enjoy my swim more when I do have the podcasts.

Since I'm a woman of a "certain age", I think I should do weight-bearing exercises, too. So, I walk and/or use free weights on days I don't swim.

Both my cardiologist and chiropractor say there's nothing the matter with swimming every day with the pace and routine I have, I just don't often have the time to do both swimming and free weights.

Edited by NancyL

I guess I must be alone in enjoying a 100 lap swim.

I do break it into 10 lap segments and if I feel a twinge anywhere I tend to stop.

Partly agree with tropo in that following his advice I am now swimming 5 days in 7 with no difference in fitness level...and I look forward even more to the swim after a day off.

He hasn't exhausted his muscles on his first time out in years. He's just reached his current aerobic capacity limit. He probably doesn't have enough aerobic capacity TO exhaust his muscles. Aerobic capacity develops quickly, quicker than muscles, and doesn't require a day of recover after every workout. If he wants to swim every day, he'll be fine. If he wants to swim every other day, he'll be fine then, too.

That's true, he won't be doing too much to overstress his muscles at the start, but I was thinking long term.

Also, as I said in an earlier post, most of the out-of-breathness experienced in freestyle is due to lack of air rather than overstepping one's aerobic ability. Unlike in land based exercises where you can breath whenever you need air, in swimming (freestyle) you have to wait until your head can come up, which may not be often enough or could just be a gasp due to lack of balance in the water because when the head comes up the body sinks.

Edited by tropo

This all sounds like hearsay from someone who never trained hard.

What you say is hearsay too - from you. So what? We're all saying stuff, I hear you and you hear me.

I've been training hard for 36 years. I've done a lot of swimming over that time too... however there is no way I'd want to look like a marathon runner, which to me look like walking skeletons. When they stop they have absolutely nothing left besides impact injuries with no muscle to speak of.

Irrespective of your resting heart rate, you wouldn't have a hope of keeping up with me in the gym, just as I wouldn't be able to keep up with you in the pool or on the road. It's all about the SAID principle. You get better at what you train for.

Any competitive sports are counter-productive to health because anyone who competes will overdo it. There's no other way when you compete. Running marathons is at the extreme end of over-training.

My big problem was in being out-of-breath. Overtime, I developed an efficient stoke that was kind of a combination of the sidestroke and freestyle. Someone pointed out that I was doing the Navy Seal Combat Sidestroke. Wow, I had no idea it had a name and is considered the most efficient long-distance swim stroke:

Very interesting video. I never heard of these strokes.

I didn't hear the instructor claim that the CSS was the most efficient long-distance stroke, only that it is more efficient, but slower, than the Sprinter Side Stroke. Wikipedia has this:

Combat side stroke or CSS is a variation of the side stroke that was developed and taught to the United States Navy SEALs. It uses a mixture of techniques used in breaststroke, side stroke and front crawl. The combat side stroke allows the swimmer to swim more efficiently and reduce the body's profile in the water in order to be less likely to be seen during combat operations if surface swimming is required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_sidestroke

Thanks for the info, Nancy.

Thanks, Captain, for adding the wiki info about the CSS to what I found with that video. You're right, the instructor in the video doesn't make claims about the stroke's efficiency, but I picked up that info someplace else. That video was the best thing I found to actually teach the stroke to someone, rather than trying to read about it or look at pictures.

All this discussion of swimming got me motivated and I did 1.5 hr yesterday. Once you "get into the groove" with this stroke you develop the feeling that you can do it all day without getting tired. This must be what the runners mean when they talk about "runner's high". Incidentally, I never get that feeling when I'm listening to news podcasts while swimming. The element of sensory deprivation when swimming, must add to the feeling of almost being in a trance -- yes a very active trance, but still a trance.

Thanks, Captain, for adding the wiki info about the CSS to what I found with that video. You're right, the instructor in the video doesn't make claims about the stroke's efficiency, but I picked up that info someplace else. That video was the best thing I found to actually teach the stroke to someone, rather than trying to read about it or look at pictures.

All this discussion of swimming got me motivated and I did 1.5 hr yesterday. Once you "get into the groove" with this stroke you develop the feeling that you can do it all day without getting tired. This must be what the runners mean when they talk about "runner's high". Incidentally, I never get that feeling when I'm listening to news podcasts while swimming. The element of sensory deprivation when swimming, must add to the feeling of almost being in a trance -- yes a very active trance, but still a trance.

Yes Nancy, I also notice the trance. Problem can be though when in that zone remembering how many laps you have done, but when in it you can knock off the laps and not even feel them. Thanks for everyones comments on this thread, it has been interesting, think I will step up my swimming as really haven't been pushing myself enough. Also use a 25 metre pool here in CM, think though when I finally get my big bike sorted I'll make the much longer trip over to the 50 meter, they are much better.

Instead of counting laps when swimming just swim for a specific length of time and work from that.

A waterproof stopwatch is all you need.

I do the same. For me it's too easy to lose track of how many laps you've swum, plus I find checking my watch occasionally much less tedious than counting every lap. I just swim nonstop for a set interval of time, usually 30 min on weekdays, 40 min on weekends and holidays.

I used to jog but Bangkok is not so well suited for it, and by the time I hit 40 I started having joint pain from the impact. I walk a lot every day instead, any distance under 4km or so I will walk, plus I avoid escalators and lifts when I can. Check out www.urbanranger.com for inspiration on big city walking.

Looking forward to trying the Seals sidestrokes smile.png

Alright. I was avoiding this thread since it spun out of control in the usual TV way, but I'm back to report, I guess.

Anyway, I decided to heed the every-other-day advice for now, lest I become too demotivated too quickly. Unfortunately, due to a hectic work and eating schedule I could really only fit in three other sessions since last week, but I have seen slight (but noticeable) improvement in my struggles.

I don't bring any clock of any sort with me to the pool, and I don't set lap goals or anything, but just swim until I get tired enough, which has gone up ever so slightly. Add in some gasping for air breaks and it usually ends up being around 20-30 mins currently.

I tried some of the funky side stroke stuff but I think I'll stick to my front crawl and breaststroke for now.

Alright. I was avoiding this thread since it spun out of control in the usual TV way, but I'm back to report, I guess.

It's not the TV - it's universal...I have never read any thread on exercise on any forum where everyone just agrees. It can be extremely confusing, but unfortunately there will never be universal agreement on exercise.

... however there is a logical consideration - the body does need rest.