Cheese

kerryk

Thanks.. We were trying to find Dacheso (spelling?) the other day and couldn't find it. We were looking for yogurt.

Art Cafe at Thapae Gate is owned by Decheeso and they sell some of the products like yogurt there.

They can give you good directions to the retail store too. :o

I've never been very fond of the Dacheeso produce. I used to buy their whipping cream now and again - and it was always hit or miss. I have bought their stuff from Rimping - who tend to keep most things on the shelve longer than they should - and I wonder if the quality rises if you buy direct from Dacheeso?

A friend of mine made some non-generic "strong-tasting cheese". He even melted a couple of candles so that he could have it wrapped in wax - it was so gross - I still feel like spitting when I remember the taste now - it was just wrong!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks.. We were trying to find Dacheso (spelling?) the other day and couldn't find it. We were looking for yogurt.

Art Cafe at Thapae Gate is owned by Decheeso and they sell some of the products like yogurt there.

They can give you good directions to the retail store too. :o

I've never been very fond of the Dacheeso produce.

IMHO, some of their cheeses are not very good, but many products are fine.

Cream cheese, feta cheese, sour cream are all good and there are others that I can't remember off the top of my head. :D

• 11 months later...

I picked up a package of cheese that said Premium Mainland quality "Vintage" an extra sharp mature cheddar with a crumbly texture. It says it is aged 18 months.

It is without a doubt the best cheese I have tasted in Thailand and a very reputable product in any country.

My personal favourite too kerryk. :o

In Pattaya you can buy it at Carrefour, Foodland, Friendship, and Tops.

Mainland Cheddar was available most everywhere in BKK until recently - however, seems to have disappeared. Anyone seen it lately?

Hmmm English Stilton. now I'll have to pop off to Rimping tomorrow to get some. The bad thing is that the wife likes it too.The good thing is that she's away. :D

I am not in Chiangmai..........or even Thailand! But I saw this thread and being a Cheese lover also (and being near France is a good thing for this!) I thought I would also declare my particuler LOVE of Blue Cheeses. The smellier and riper the better!! :D

One quick cheese related story. I was in a Farang bar in Bangkok (forget the name, but serves "real" western food)............I ordered a Cheddar Cheese and Pickle sandwich. The waitress came back and said "no have pickle". So with me seeing they also had Tuna and Mayonaise sandwiches on the menu, just ordered a "Cheese and Mayonaise" (a la carte!).

The waitress seemed unsure, then went off to check and came back to double check this is what I really wanted.

I just put this down to me having ordered something not on the Menu, but when the food arrived the waitress and other staff came over to have a look at me eating this strange concoction. I already knew that Farang are keener on dairy products than the Thais, but I found it so very strange and amusing that this could be viewed as something new and very strange to them - given that they worked in a Farang Bar / Restaurant ...............on Soi 4!!

Crapaud! :o

JxP ('ex'-donkey!)

Edited by JuniorExPat

I picked up a package of cheese that said Premium Mainland quality "Vintage" an extra sharp mature cheddar with a crumbly texture. It says it is aged 18 months.

It is without a doubt the best cheese I have tasted in Thailand and a very reputable product in any country.

Mainland Cheddar was available most everywhere in BKK until recently - however, seems to have disappeared. Anyone seen it lately?

Actually no... not in Pattaya anyway.

I went looking yesterday and could not find any in town.

:D

I must admit...I didn't try Tesco Lotus though.

:o

And what about the great tasty french "CAMEMBERT"?..

I'm an addict! Yum, yum...

So, if you like, run to Carrefour... Import dairy products, there you will find a REAL Camembert from Normandie "AU LAIT CRU" from the Carrefour brand. Wooden white/beige round box of 250 g for about 190 B.

Very great taste! Even if quite twice the price we can buy in France... :D

For the best way to taste it, try their "french country bread" just cooked every day in their bakery... and a bottle of red wine (Bolero, about 350 :D!

Go back home quickly, put out in the garden everybody here, lock doors and windows, open the AC and enjoy a good time on a corner of the table of the kitchen...

I cannot resist!..

Cheese...

Ooops, no,cheers!

So, if you like, run to Carrefour... Import dairy products, there you will find a REAL Camembert from Normandie "AU LAIT CRU" from the Carrefour brand. Wooden white/beige round box of 250 g for about 190 B.

Very great taste!

Make sure you check the "Use By" date on the packaging. :o

What an uplifting story, quite a nailbiter.

I am the same with beans, baked beans. Just can't find any that really taste like Heinz original. Been everywhere in my search.

Depressed.

After living in Thailand for almost a year I have found most things to my liking and I think have adapted quite well.

There was however one area that I just couldn't adjust to. The lack of a decent cheddar cheese.

I like English cheddars or Vermont cheddar or a whole variety of cheddar if it is sharp and crumbly.

And I surly love them with a pint at the end of the day.

I tried and tried but to no avail. I read all the posts about cheese and tried most of the suggestions but there was never a happy ending to my quest.

As the weather has gotten cooler here my system was crying out for a good cheddar cheese. My system did not seem so imbalanced in the hot season.

Yesterday, as is my daily routine I went to the Tops grocery store in the Central department store mall more commonly known as Sentan. I picked up a package of cheese that said Premium Mainland quality "Vintage" an extra sharp mature cheddar with a crumbly texture. It says it is aged 18 months.

I feel whole again. I have found cheese.

strangely enough, ive just had some swiss holes sent to me but i have far too many. I could let you have some for say...100bt a kilo? they are delicous! And i have a never ending supplly! I also sell imported Polo mint holes.The ones you get in the mints in uk , not the cheap tasteless ones here! they are 25bt a tube of 12 holes if you are intereted :o

Edited by BossHogg

strangely enough, ive just had some swiss holes sent to me but i have far too many. I could let you have some for say...100bt a kilo? they are delicous! And i have a never ending supplly! I also sell imported Polo mint holes.The ones you get in the mints in uk , not the cheap tasteless ones here! they are 25bt a tube of 12 holes if you are intereted :o

You seem to be a hole dealer. I have a few that I am interested in. Can you sort me out?

Phil

Actually no... not in Pattaya anyway.

I went looking yesterday and could not find any in town.

:D

I must admit...I didn't try Tesco Lotus though.

Lotus (Rama IV) has a supply; however, it was 'packed in December - expires Sept.' It is quite old. I suspect this is just the remainder quantity and it too will not be replenished. Perhaps the distributor has stopped importing it as Tops, Villa, etc. formerly stocked large quantities and none can be found there now.

Yeah, the Mainland "Vintage" was one of the best packaged cheeses, ever. I haven't seen it the last few times I went to New Rimping- thought it was just out of stock? I hope they bring more in, as the "Tasty" though good is a slightly less aged cheddar. I do like the "Edam" as well of this brand. :o

Yeah, the Mainland "Vintage" was one of the best packaged cheeses, ever. I haven't seen it the last few times I went to New Rimping- thought it was just out of stock? I hope they bring more in, as the "Tasty" though good is a slightly less aged cheddar. I do like the "Edam" as well of this brand. :o

Bought some in Hangdong Road Lotus last week.

Yeah, the Mainland "Vintage" was one of the best packaged cheeses, ever. I haven't seen it the last few times I went to New Rimping- thought it was just out of stock? I hope they bring more in, as the "Tasty" though good is a slightly less aged cheddar. I do like the "Edam" as well of this brand. :D

Bought some in Hangdong Road Lotus last week.

My 2kgs of it arrives next week.... :o

Owner: Good morning, Sir. Welcome to the National Cheese Emporium!

Customer: Ah, thank you, my good man.

Owner: What can I do for you, Sir?

Customer: Well, I was, uh, sitting in the public library on Thurmon Street just now, skimming through Rogue Herrys by Hugh Walpole, and I suddenly came over all peckish.

Owner: Peckish, sir?

Customer: Esuriant.

Owner: Eh?

Customer: 'Ee, ah wor 'ungry-loike!

Owner: Ah, hungry!

Customer: In a nutshell. And I thought to myself, "a little fermented curd will do the trick," so, I curtailed my Walpoling activites, sallied forth, and infiltrated your place of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles!

Owner: Come again?

Customer: I want to buy some cheese.

continues here... http://www.minderella.com/words/cheeseshop.htm :D

Rimping (Riverside branch) have it in stock now.

Still,nothing like some English Stilton sprinkeled on a green salad..... :D

aroy mak mak...also highly recommended- sardines stuffed with stilton, pan fried in light bread crumbs and a bottle or two of Old Peculiar :o

Those are my choices also. Vintage (Tasty if Vintage is unavailable) when I feel like something with a sharper taste (like with a wine). Works really well in Macaroni and Cheese. Edam, when I want a lighter taste such as with crackers and cheese. Glad a couple of posters indicate that Vintage is back, this is my last pack and had to get Tasty last time due to no stock.

post-566-1181366096_thumb.jpg