Progress

robblok

I like the idea of being able to eat more as a result of doing more exercise. It's win-win. You get fitter, stronger and you can eat more without putting on fat. An increased metabolic rate helps too, so it's not only a calorie equation. You have to consider that a more muscular, fit person can burn more calories while doing nothing at all.

You've hit the nail on the head here. I am (until 3 weeks ago) an active person, combining lots of weight training with cardio, and while I'm not 'ripped' I am certainly not fat. Anyways, 3 weeks ago I broke my foot while running and went from a very active level to zero overnight. I was worried that this would cause me to put on a lot of fat but this hasn't been the case at all. My weight has changed slightly (got about 2 kgs lighter, for some reason) but there's no been no noticeable increase in fat. Is this because of my high base metabolic rate (due to lots of lifting etc) ?

LOL, that's an old quote from another thread.

I like the idea of being able to eat more as a result of doing more exercise. It's win-win. You get fitter, stronger and you can eat more without putting on fat. An increased metabolic rate helps too, so it's not only a calorie equation. You have to consider that a more muscular, fit person can burn more calories while doing nothing at all.

You've hit the nail on the head here. I am (until 3 weeks ago) an active person, combining lots of weight training with cardio, and while I'm not 'ripped' I am certainly not fat. Anyways, 3 weeks ago I broke my foot while running and went from a very active level to zero overnight. I was worried that this would cause me to put on a lot of fat but this hasn't been the case at all. My weight has changed slightly (got about 2 kgs lighter, for some reason) but there's no been no noticeable increase in fat. Is this because of my high base metabolic rate (due to lots of lifting etc) ?

LOL, that's an old quote from another thread.

You're right about it being a while ago, but it was post number #14 from this thread. (scroll back to page 1).

You also mentioned about keeping your postprandial blood sugar readings below 110 if possible. I'm curious, is this for fat control or are you insulin resistant ? (or maybe both) and what do you do to control this ? (i.e. low carbs, higher protein etc ?)

Edited by Kalbo

You're right about it being a while ago, but it was post number #14 from this thread. (scroll back to page 1).

You also mentioned about keeping your postprandial blood sugar readings below 110 if possible. I'm curious, is this for fat control or are you insulin resistant ? (or maybe both) and what do you do to control this ? (i.e. low carbs, higher protein etc ?)

(Sorry, I completely forgot that I said that in this thread)

Low carb and high protein meals. I shoot for about 60 - 70 grams of protein per meal. I'm not overly concerned about fat as long as it is good fat.

Yes, I have insulin resistance if I let my diet deteriorate.... but right now I'm able to handle carbs quite well.

My subcutaneous fat level is low but I want to lose visceral fat. That's the fat you accumulate by eating too many carbs while insulin resistant. That's part of the reason why so many middle aged men look pregnant.

I believe that for good health blood sugar should remain under 100mg/dl at all times. Under 90 would be even better.

Edited by tropo

(Sorry, I completely forgot that I said that in this thread)

Low carb and high protein meals. I shoot for about 60 - 70 grams of protein per meal. I'm not overly concerned about fat as long as it is good fat.

Yes, I have insulin resistance if I let my diet deteriorate.... but right now I'm able to handle carbs quite well.

My subcutaneous fat level is low but I want to lose visceral fat. That's the fat you accumulate by eating too many carbs while insulin resistant. That's part of the reason why so many middle aged men look pregnant.

I believe that for good health blood sugar should remain under 100mg/dl at all times. Under 90 would be even better.

Very informative, thanks for that. It more or less correlates to my own opinions or ideas in that in order not to put on 'fat' you'd need to control the carbs a hell of a lot more than the fats. (I don't mean you can stuff your face with ice cream and butter waffles, but such fats as peanut butter, olive oils etc)

Very informative, thanks for that. It more or less correlates to my own opinions or ideas in that in order not to put on 'fat' you'd need to control the carbs a hell of a lot more than the fats. (I don't mean you can stuff your face with ice cream and butter waffles, but such fats as peanut butter, olive oils etc)

The best idea would be to get a glucometer and test your response to different foods. Anything else is just stabbing in the dark. People think that glucometers are only for diabetics, but they're a very useful tool for all people, especially people with a tendency to get fat. I wish I'd invested in one many years before I did. It's usually not until people have a real problem that they make the purchase, many years after they started to go south. It's astonishing to hear from people on this forum who are well and truly diabetic who don't yet own glucometers.

I believe everyone should own a glucometer, blood pressure meter (sphygmomanometer), tape measure and digital bathroom scales and keep records... along with some regular basic blood tests... and a heart rate monitor if doing regular exercise.