Tv Members

kennedy

OK you got me - not just one.

You're just jealous though with your 50% LIKES to post ratio.

BUT, your likes ''could'' relate to the weirdo member factor eh. whistling.gif ..................laugh.png

Very true. Would have clicked LIKE on your post but I have run out lol. Would have been a drop into to 8% full, mostly empty bucket that is 1000 Likes for 13,000 posts though matey. Anyway, if the majority are liking something, then surely the minority are the weirdos?

cheesy.gif

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha......a common misconception.

Remember the like system only started in January so members such as Transam have a huge volume of posts that were in place before the like system was introduced....which leads me to me favourite saying.....

" There are three kinds of lies, lies, damned lies and statistics".

Now a lot of people don't know the following interesting thing........

During WW2 the US lost approx 10 million men to assist in the war effort........they were replaced in the business and factory settings primarily by women. The amazing thing was that US Industrial production soared by approx 400% even though it had lost it's most experienced workers to uniform.

After the war, the Japanese wondered how that was possible, and after a bit of investigation they discovered that the US had turned to a statistician called WE Deming for assistance in improving output.

This guy was a genius.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

he knew that statistics could tell you the bare facts, but he asked the next logical question.......why? Why are these statistics as they are?

He knew that the analysis of the stats was the most important thing........and managers in Japan were taught the benefit of such analysis. here's the example that stuck in my mind.

10 truck drivers do 10 drops every day, and they each drive 100 miles.

The fastest driver did it on average in 4 hours........the median was 5 hours......the slowest was 8 hours.

So what do you do?......sack the slowest driver? Or ask him why he is the slowest?

So they asked him why he was the slowest......and found out that by the time he got to his first stop the factory were downing tools for tea. he would have to wait for 30 minutes to be unloaded. This would cause a knock on effect where by the time he got to his 6th drop the factory would be closed for an hour for lunch, and on a bad day he would be truck number 5 waiting to be unloaded. So he wasted time waiting about on people who were having breaks.

Solution?......go to the factories and tell them this story, persuade the management to keep their loading bays open all day, and allow the productivity of the drivers to soar.

If you ever wonder why Japanese production soared after the war, it was due primarily to the teachings of WE Deming.

So as you were saying about likes???? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

It depends on the forum. Some of the guys in the General Forum are just evil.

On the farming forum, even though I myself have occasionally spouted guff, people have stayed polite.

Using words like BS, ignorant, etc, or phrases like, if you don't like it, go home, do tend to lower the level of the discussion.

They have the ability to live a fantastic life all on 30k a month.

On the farming forum, even though I myself have occasionally spouted guff, people have stayed polite.

Using words like BS, ignorant, etc, or phrases like, if you don't like it, go home, do tend to lower the level of the discussion.

Like me eh. thumbsup.gif ..........................laugh.png

Quid I assume?

Remember the like system only started in January so members such as Transam have a huge volume of posts that were in place before the like system was introduced....which leads me to me favourite saying.....

During WW2 the US lost approx 10 million men to assist in the war effort........they were replaced in the business and factory settings primarily by women. The amazing thing was that US Industrial production soared by approx 400% even though it had lost it's most experienced workers to uniform.

After the war, the Japanese wondered how that was possible, and after a bit of investigation they discovered that the US had turned to a statistician called WE Deming for assistance in improving output.

http://en.wikipedia...._Edwards_Deming

he knew that statistics could tell you the bare facts, but he asked the next logical question.......why? Why are these statistics as they are?

He knew that the analysis of the stats was the most important thing........and managers in Japan were taught the benefit of such analysis. here's the example that stuck in my mind.

The fastest driver did it on average in 4 hours........the median was 5 hours......the slowest was 8 hours.

So what do you do?......sack the slowest driver? Or ask him why he is the slowest?

So they asked him why he was the slowest......and found out that by the time he got to his first stop the factory were downing tools for tea. he would have to wait for 30 minutes to be unloaded. This would cause a knock on effect where by the time he got to his 6th drop the factory would be closed for an hour for lunch, and on a bad day he would be truck number 5 waiting to be unloaded. So he wasted time waiting about on people who were having breaks.

Solution?......go to the factories and tell them this story, persuade the management to keep their loading bays open all day, and allow the productivity of the drivers to soar.

If you ever wonder why Japanese production soared after the war, it was due primarily to the teachings of WE Deming.

You had me at Hello

wub.png

• Like 2

and the "likes" or greens or whatever they were called from the previous system were carried over.

otherwise how would you explain that TA is carrying over likes from 2010?

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3733167

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

Quid I assume?

I wish. sad.png
  • Like 1

and the "likes" or greens or whatever they were called from the previous system were carried over.

Yes I'm aware of that, just as you are aware of the controversy surrounding the green system, I have no doubt you vented your opinion on the matter under one of your previous incarnations on Thaivisa.

Anyway, do you intend to ever add positive content to the forum or are you content to miserably snipe from the sidelines? smile.png

You know I like you blether but this is just overselling it... Jeez just mentioning the word statistics and I was half asleep...

Oh I forgot TV members don't like too many words, sorry crying.gif

If you inject words like bar girl and hi-so Chinese and bad Thai people, we might just wake up again.

Seriously though using many words ain't as bad as overselling an idea by explaining statistics.

This is how you put an economy class to sleep... seriously... w00t.gif

If you inject words like bar girl and hi-so Chinese and bad Thai people, we might just wake up again.

Seriously though using many words ain't as bad as overselling an idea by explaining statistics.

This a statistic you can bet on , come on raise your hands .

In 1977 There Were 37 Elvis Impersonators In The World. In 1993, There Were 48,000. At This Rate, By The Year 2013 One Out Of Every Three People Will Be An Elvis Impersonator.

This a statistic you can bet on , come on raise your hands .

In 1977 There Were 37 Elvis Impersonators In The World. In 1993, There Were 48,000. At This Rate, By The Year 2013 One Out Of Every Three People Will Be An Elvis Impersonator.

saai.gifclosedeyes.gif

You know I like you blether but this is just overselling it... Jeez just mentioning the word statistics and I was half asleep...

Don't knock it.... I seem to remember that some of the best sleep I ever had was in statistics lectures.... 2nd best was definitely reading theblether's l o o o o n g post. lol

An enjoyable thread, with people playing nicely.... thumbsup.gif ..... I even caught myself liking two of Pseudolus's posts whistling.gif

Yes I'm aware of that, just as you are aware of the controversy surrounding the green system, I have no doubt you vented your opinion on the matter under one of your previous incarnations on Thaivisa.

Anyway, do you intend to ever add positive content to the forum or are you content to miserably snipe from the sidelines? smile.png

But then, how are you aware of that controversy of the previous rating system and the incarnations of other members, since it was also looong before you signed up ? ( under your current username that is) Edited by JanKlaasen
  • Like 1

Remember "the like system only started in January" so members such as Transam have a huge volume of posts that were in place before the like system was introduced....which leads me to me favourite saying.....

im not certain why pointing out a hole in one of your blanket statements is negative. the like system did not only start in January. it started almost 2 years ago. you omitted to mention that.

• Like 1

But then, how are you aware of that controversy of the previous rating system and the incarnations of other members, since it was also looong before you signed up ? ( under your current username that is)

one could only wonder.

BUT, your likes ''could'' relate to the weirdo member factor eh. whistling.gif ..................laugh.png

Very true. Would have clicked LIKE on your post but I have run out lol. Would have been a drop into to 8% full, mostly empty bucket that is 1000 Likes for 13,000 posts though matey. Anyway, if the majority are liking something, then surely the minority are the weirdos?

cheesy.gif

Speak for yourself.............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

Speak for yourself.............coffee1.gif

Don't fret - I clicked like for you - your ratio just went up to 32.4. Means you are moving towards the majority now lol

Don't knock it.... I seem to remember that some of the best sleep I ever had was in statistics lectures.... 2nd best was definitely reading theblether's l o o o o n g post. lol

An enjoyable thread, with people playing nicely.... thumbsup.gif ..... I even caught myself liking two of Pseudolus's posts whistling.gif

Nothing wrong with that old chap - something in the air today obviously. Firstly, I put up a list that included Samaramadingdong or what ever his name is and subnuromantic saying they get my goat, and Nek Minit, they are clicking like on things I say, and post their agreement, and low and behold, I find a post or two from them which is passable as well. I can't see any nastiness in this thread at all. Love is in the air I guess.

Edited by Pseudolus