Forum Top Five "pet Hates". What're Yours?

KarenBravo

One thing that gets my goat is ignorant foreigners who complain bitterly about service and berate staff for not speaking English perfectly - usually they are semi-educated chimps who haven't so much as bothered to learn how to say "Please" or even "Thank You" in Thai.

How hard is it?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People trying to convince others that Pattaya is a family resort.321 go

People who have never wandered away from Walking Street or Beach Road, or even worse never been to Pattaya at all, who insist that it isn't.

• Like 2

English is not my first l language. Sometimes when I want to make a little bit longer comment I pass because I just don't want to take the risk to be corrected all the time. So for me " the teachers" on the board are not my favorites..

you will probably find they were at the bottom of the heap in their working life. This is their way of feeling like a somebody." look at me, I can spell".

I,d love to expand on my like this but I would fall foul of the no commenting on moderating judgements.

Respect is seemingly going downhill fast for certain members of our forum if certain repetative references on the various threads are anything to go by.

They are certainly not isolated.

By the way there is a very good modern word now referenced in the English dictionary ....

Kidult meaning " an adult behaving like a child." whistling.gif

marshbags rolleyes.gif

Edited by marshbags

People who, having now "moved on" from the bar scene, see themselves as pillars of society all of a sudden and get outraged at the mere mention of the word "beer"...

People (often the same as above) who seem to see themselves as some sort of moral flagbearer to which all others should adhere to or "go home"....

Retired middle aged men suddenly becoming "Bikers"...

Instant "experts" on all things Thai who lecture/preach at you (usually in a bar) without even stopping to ask or consider your own experience or knowledge of Thailand...

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 2

I don't have any pet hates - the only thing I used to hate when I joined this forum in 2008 was people starting threads with questions that they could have answered for themselves using Google, but this is now addressed by replying with a 'Let me Google that for you' link. Ironically, these links could now be other peoples' pet-hates.

Looks like a Great Dane; the guy is pulling huge splinters out of his dog but they keep growing back. So the emoticon is about repeated actions that are pointless. What's the saying? Stop pulling eternally reoccurring splinters from your dead dog.

I thought it was a labrador and a midget vertically challenged person. Labs do tend to sleep a lot and I thought he was waking it up. Must be a saying for that as well: If the dog doesn't wake after a beating it is likely just ignoring you. Confusing emoticon!

It would be like flogging a dead horse trying to explain it to a sane person!

Inane topics which continue for 6 pages. beatdeadhorse.gif

You nearly got it onto the seventh, and you should let that dog alone, by the way

SC

People who post without wearing their glasses.

It's a horse by the way. biggrin.png

Horses have longer necks. I agree with the bloke that says its a great Dane.

If you want to flog a dead horse, by the way, a raffle may be the best option

SC

• Like 1

People who use apostrophes on plural words e.g. condo's, girl's

Hate really? Do you really hate people who make a grammer mistake even though you completely understand the meaning communicated?

grammer?

i do not hate people who make such mistakes, i pity them though.

Hate really? Do you really hate people who make a grammer mistake even though you completely understand the meaning communicated?

My guess his is an English teacher bringing his work home...

grammer?

Pity, really. I know a lady who speaks 6 languages fluently. She calls me occasionallyfor grammar help. Pity her? I have nothing but admiration for her. I pity you.smile.png

grammer?

I hate grammers who measure everything out with unnecessary precision

SC

• Like 1

People who write "bath" instead of 'Baht"

The spell checker does that and if you don't read it again before you paste it comes out as bath. Since I switched to Ubuntu the TV spell checker does not work. And I have all sorts of other quirks too. But I like Ubuntu so I put up with it. Plus people who use Ubuntu are a lot brighter than the luddites who still use windows.biggrin.png

This is exactly WHY i hate it. People who think illiteracy is OK "so long as you understand the meaning".

This is exactly WHY i hate it. People who think illiteracy is OK "so long as you understand the meaning".

So what you are saying is that you are not allowed to communicate in a language that might not be your native language until your fluent in it and don't make any grammar mistakes. I wonder how people will ever learn an other language then.

• Like 1