Decent Low Budget Place To Stay Near Bangkok Airport?

Mikeanywhere

Hi everyone, off to Thailand for the first time in January and arriving in Bangkok.

Having been to Mumbai before I've learned one lesson which is to at least know where you're staying on the first night, long enough to get your bearings and close enough to the airport so that you get to experience travel into the city on daylight (I arrive in the evening).

I'll be over there for 3 months and this is on a budget so ideally looking for somewhere close to the airport, half decent, and cheap (ish). Hopefully within tuk-tuk distance (favourite way to travel).

Been lurking here a couple of days now and it's a pleasure to meet you all.

All the best,

Mike.

mike......go on line and look at agoda.com i use them on a regular basis....you can book on line but you will need a printer to print off your voucher....i stay at the great residence suvarnabhumi hotel....approx 2 miles from the airport....they will pick up at the airport and one nights stay is approx 600 bht...its a basic hotel ideal for one night, it has a restaurant, swimming pool and bar service................so collected at the airport and room with a/c, hot shower , tv....all for 600 bht................plus the guy who meets you at the airport always asks how many ladies you would like in your room ......iam not sure the cost of this service as i always travel with my wife............thats thailand for you.....enjoy your first trip......

Thanks for the advice! Agoda looks good, usually prices get upped by so much online it's nice to see something decently advertised. Your last comment about the girls cracked me up! Something about "how many girls" rather than whether company was requested or not :P gave me a chuckle. Thanks for the input NongSangCity and Artamus!

Edited by Mikeanywhere

Try the Orchid Resort. My wife and I just stayed there. Brand new. Rooms between 450 and 650 Baht. 10 Minutes from the airport with free pick up. We couldn't believe how beautiful the rooms were. Has a pool, outside bar and the usual. Very friendly staff. www.orchidresort.net 02-7391020 / 02-7391022

Soi Latkrabang, 48 Latkrabang Road. Bangkok. You will not be disappointed.

All of these look great! Certainly better than I was looking to settle for and great prices for what they are. For the first couple of days I think this will be the type of place to stay, then unfortunately it'll have to be the drop down into backpacker territory but wow! These all look great!

Thanks for the suggestions guys :)

The Nasa-Vegas Hotel is an older business hotel, a bit dated but clean and comfortable. B690 a night. It is situated directly across the street from the Rhamkhamheng Airport Rail link station, only 4 stops from the airport. Very convenient if you are landing between 6am and 10:30 pm operational hours. The Rail Link also links to the BTS Skytrain and MRT Subway.

www.nasavegashotel.com

I frequently recommend NASA-VEGAS because it is inexpensive, clean, comfortable and close to the Airport Rail Link, however I do not recommend anybody pay any more than one or two days in advance, especially if there is a possibility plans might change. Nasa-Vegas absolutely hates giving money back. A friend stayed there last year. He paid 2 weeks up front but after three or four days decided it was to inconvenient to downtown and decided to change hotels. It took him six hours of standing at the front desk and refusing to relent before he got even a partial refund.

Edited by dddave

Try the Orchid Resort. My wife and I just stayed there. Brand new. Rooms between 450 and 650 Baht. 10 Minutes from the airport with free pick up. We couldn't believe how beautiful the rooms were. Has a pool, outside bar and the usual. Very friendly staff. www.orchidresort.net 02-7391020 / 02-7391022

Soi Latkrabang, 48 Latkrabang Road. Bangkok. You will not be disappointed.

I have used the Orchid Resort twice and would recommend it every time. Best thing I can say is that I will go back there when passing through Swampy....friendly, helpful staff and superb rooms.

Slight change to the address above, if I may... Soi Latkrabang 48, Latkranag Road. and the email is [email protected]. Two other phone numbers are 0860578705 and 0803302462

I have just booked a night at Nasa Vegas through Agoda. Cost 380 baht.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

You will see a set of Railroad tracks near the front door. Cross those tracks to FAMILY MART for a couple of bottles of water (Nasa charges B20 each) and snacks. That said, NASA's room service is surprisingly inexpensive for decent quality food. I had the steamed fish sent to the room once and it was delicious.

Oh, BTW, try to get them to give you a room facing away from the tracks as both the Rail link and surface trains are pretty noisy. I have a feeling that with your very low discount rate, you will be on the track side.

Thanks ddave - actually I've stayed at Nasa Vegas a dozen times before, but those are certainly good tips for first timers.

Additional tips: for more substantial grocery/shopping requirements there is a 24 hour Foodland supermarket about a mile up Ramkamhaeng on the left.

There is also a Big C further up past The Mall, also on the left (so heading North roughly)

Motorcycle taxis can take you there & back.

Some excellent cheap street food options opposite the uni on Ramkamhaeng 24, around 5 minutes by taxi

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that guys,

I ended up plumping for the Nasa Vegas. Looks nice. Anything I should do before arrival? (request a certain floor, side of building etc. etc. ) also what is the deal with smoking in these places? I'm not usually a smoker but on occasion I do like a cigarette.

Thanks for all the advice!

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers! Looking around the net it's starting to look as though everywhere is going to be booked up in the beginning of January... Am I being paranoid or do I need to start booking hotels now? I have absolutely no problem with seriously sluming it, but street sleeping is possibly pushing things a little far... Is it really so busy in Bangkok that time of year?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I frequently recommend NASA-VEGAS because it is inexpensive, clean, comfortable and close to the Airport Rail Link, however I do not recommend anybody pay any more than one or two days in advance, especially if there is a possibility plans might change. Nasa-Vegas absolutely hates giving money back. A friend stayed there last year. He paid 2 weeks up front but after three or four days decided it was to inconvenient to downtown and decided to change hotels. It took him six hours of standing at the front desk and refusing to relent before he got even a partial refund.

Isn't that true with most guesthouses in thailand? most people pay by the day or no more than 3 days at a time, especially if there is no discount. Then you leave when you want.

Cheers! Looking around the net it's starting to look as though everywhere is going to be booked up in the beginning of January... Am I being paranoid or do I need to start booking hotels now? I have absolutely no problem with seriously sluming it, but street sleeping is possibly pushing things a little far... Is it really so busy in Bangkok that time of year?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

New Years? It's busy just about everywhere in the world. I would advise booking for at least 2 days. You can extend, switch hotels, or take the rail link into town