Chalerm: Government's Drug Suppression Campaign Exceeds Target

webfact

Government's drug suppression campaign exceeds target: Deputy PM Chalerm

image_20120912171303B9F7B955-ED9D-E87A-C17464391896F789.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 12 - The government's one-year performance on drug suppression has surpassed its target, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said Wednesday.

The deputy premier made his remarks as director of the National Command Centre for Drugs Elimination (NCCDE) as the Yingluck government completed its first year with a high-profile policy to suppress illicit drugs.

Mr Chalerm said drug suppression operation between September 11, 2011 and September 8, 2012 was smooth, with good cooperation from all concerned agencies.

He said the drug suppression which the government made a national agenda has now become a regional agenda with cooperation from neighbouring countries, as well as China, leading to the arrest of the notorious drug lord Naw Kham.

The deputy Thai premier, however, said the drugs problem cannot be totally eliminated as the illicit drugs are made in a neighbouring country and smuggled to Thailand via the eight northern provinces.

Mr Chalerm reasserted he will push ahead with two drug-related bills including moving the execution of drug convicts from within 60 days to 15 days, and taking no legal action against drug addicts as they will be classified as patients.

The deputy premier said he has asked the interior ministry to instruct governors nationwide to identify drug addicts in local communities and take them to rehabilitation programmes, as well as welcome them back into society once they complete the treatment.

Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew, secretary-general of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), reported that the ONCB one-year performance also exceeded its targets.

Gen Adul said that 508,850 drug addicts entered the ONCB drug rehabilitaion programme, higher than its target of 400,000.

He said there were 369,841 drug-related cases with 361,767 persons arrested, resulting in 4,700 assets seizure cases, with total assets frozen at Bt1.6 billion.

He said the agency impounded 76 million methamphetamine pills, 1.4 tonnes of crystal methamphetamine, and 256 kilogrammes of heroine. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-09-12

Mr Chalerm said drug suppression operation between September 11, 2011 and September 8, 2012 was smooth, with good cooperation from all concerned agencies.

Gen Adul said that 508,850 drug addicts entered the ONCB drug rehabilitaion programme, higher than its target of 400,000.

He said there were 369,841 drug-related cases with 361,767 persons arrested, resulting in 4,700 assets seizure cases, with total assets frozen at Bt1.6 billion.

He said the agency impounded 76 million methamphetamine pills, 1.4 tonnes of crystal methamphetamine, and 256 kilogrammes of heroine. (MCOT online news)

Smooth operation, more cases, more people arrested, more pills etc. impounded. More important minimal number of deaths. So far, good!

Now a few questions:

- how much has the 'drugs problem' decreased?

- how many 'drugs barons' have been caught?

- wasn't NorthEast declared drugs free a few months ago?

- if illegal drugs are made outside Thailand are a problem, why not improve border control and decrease the demand of drugs by Thai through education?

• Like 1

BANGKOK, Sept 12 - The government's one-year performance on drug suppression has surpassed its target, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung said Wednesday.

Very impressive.

In 12 months, the government has "surpassed its target" which means that more than 80 % of drugs have been eradicated from Thailand.

From a year ago yesterday....

Posted 2011-09-11

image_2011091116562557EA9CF2-E716-D7B6-CC71294EBAC93155.jpg

Yingluck Pledges To Eradicate 80% Of Drugs Within One Year

http://www.thaivisa....ithin-one-year/

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 2

508K+ entered drug rehab. That's a good number. I don't know what the success rate is, but if 25% can stay clean for at least a year, that's 100K people with improved lives. Whatever the nattering ninninies of negativity plaster about on this thread, at least there is some success and that in itself merits some recognitiion.

Yea, yea, I know, it is hard for the usual group to see anything in a positive light. In any case, The PM is still there, the PTP government is still there, abd Thailand has not erupted in flames and civil war as the clique of catastrophe claimed would occur.

• Like 2

508K+ entered drug rehab. That's a good number. I don't know what the success rate is, but if 25% can stay clean for at least a year, that's 100K people with improved lives. Whatever the nattering ninninies of negativity plaster about on this thread, at least there is some success and that in itself merits some recognitiion.

Yea, yea, I know, it is hard for the usual group to see anything in a positive light. In any case, The PM is still there, the PTP government is still there, abd Thailand has not erupted in flames and civil war as the clique of catastrophe claimed would occur.

You are right, these 500k would be a real success, and I very much hope they are correct. I would also like to know how these rehabilitation centers look like and what approach they are taking.

Unfortunately in our area (Samui), the scores of consumers arrested in the last few months were in most cases (all of the about 20 cases I know of) heavily fined and/or sentenced to half a year/one year jail on probation. A positive pipi test is enough for such a sentence.

So I strongly hope Mr Chalerms plan to decriminalize consumers will take effect soon everywhere in Thailand. Can't say the same for his other bloodthirsty idea.

People entering drugs rehab is good, Thailand seems to be even a bit of a "drugs rehab" hub some searching revealed me. What I do find somewhat disturbing is this 508+k number. Does Thailand have so many drugs users? The 361k arrests are probably not included in this number. How does this relate to te numbers in the 2003 'War on drugs', how many arrested, how many in rehab?

Sorry for asking, but this is a topic I have no experience / knowledge of. I'm from the Netherlands remember. Numbers back home are much less even percentage wise.

It's hard to believe what gov't heads proclaim, particularly Mr. Chalerm, when everything he mentions in public is embossed with political saliva. Often he will claim to know law breakers, but won't reveal more than their first initial, thinking (and he's said this) that just by alluding to them in a press release will compel them to change their bad ways. Put another way: he claims to know some of the top baddies in Thailand, but won't arrest them because they're fellow VIP's. Instead, he'll go after the mules and little guys.

People entering drugs rehab is good, Thailand seems to be even a bit of a "drugs rehab" hub some searching revealed me. What I do find somewhat disturbing is this 508+k number. Does Thailand have so many drugs users? The 361k arrests are probably not included in this number. How does this relate to te numbers in the 2003 'War on drugs', how many arrested, how many in rehab?

Sorry for asking, but this is a topic I have no experience / knowledge of. I'm from the Netherlands remember. Numbers back home are much less even percentage wise.

I have always heard it is about ten percent of the population who had addiction problems. Remember Thailand recently declared alcohol to be a drug. 10 % would be over 6,000,000 addicts in Thailand.

508,000 people sent to treatment. I remember a few years back there was a Englishman sent to the treatment center in Mai Rim he asked for food. Apparently breakfast consisted of chicken heads. I had several friends who were trying to help as much as they could the government would OK a plan and then make it so they could not enact it. For the most part the government rehabilitation centers are being used by clients to gain their strength and then go back to the same life they had before.

Rehabilitation requires a life style change. The Governments idea is just take drugs away from them for a while and then let them go back to the same life style.

Out of 508,000 I would be greatly surprised if 4,000 of them got rehabilitated. The Government does not know any thing about rehabilitation. The client must want it. But that in it self is not enough. They must be wiling to do the work that is involved. Even if they don't like it. Then they must be given a reasonable plan. Not just a warning to not do it again. Talk about educating the people. Weather it is right or wrong to give a first grader a pad is not the issue they are going to do it now there would be a golden opportunity to educate the young on the dark side of drug abuse. Don't any one hold there breath for that to happen.

Ruby

Now a few questions:

- how much has the 'drugs problem' decreased? Who knows if it has it is not noticeable

- how many 'drugs barons' have been caught? Apparently one in China

- wasn't NorthEast declared drugs free a few months ago? Can't say as though I remember maybe it was and if any one believes it I just happen to own a very famous bridge in San Francisco I could let go cheap

- if illegal drugs are made outside Thailand are a problem, why not improve border control and decrease the demand of drugs by Thai through education?

Well now there is a problem there are lots of trails across the border and a soldier would be safer posted in the deep south than the middle of a jungle. Especially one bordering on a drug barons factory and route of delivery.

Mr Chalerm reasserted he will push ahead with two drug-related bills including moving the execution of drug convicts from within 60 days to 15 days, and taking no legal action against drug addicts as they will be classified as patients.

Well good then. Those in the the drug trade will be happy to know that all they have to do when caught is claim to be drug addicts: and no legal action will be taken against drug addict as they will be classified as patients. dam_n convenient Thank you Chalerm giggle.gif

• Like 1

You must be joking if you believe that 500,000 people entered drug rehab programmes in the last year.

If you think that the population of Thailand is 66 million, there must be around 25 million under the age of 16. Not many of them would enter drug rehab.

Probably around 25 million over 40 years old, how many of them entered rehab? I never met any and I live upcountry and in Pattaya.

Which leaves 16 million potential drug rehab patients. One out of every 32 people in Thailand entered drug rehab last year?

You are crazy if you go along with these figures. Same as the figures regularly thrown around by TAT, pure crap

coffee1.gif I would agree that something is better than nothing, but drug trafficing is an unreslolve worldwide problem. There are sellers and the users.

The Users are the important part just like the acoholics are the users of alcoholic beverages but cannot admit.

x

Thats where the real help should begin always unequivically without exception.

The difficult part most often is telling the difference between the 2

Edited by jerrysteve

I second that the figures produced by this paragon of honesty - are crap.

Most of the so-called rehabilitation 'programs' are nothing more than boot camps. There are a few, it must be said, that try to teach the inmates some skills that may be useful when they are released.

Blaming other countries like Burma is a stupid attitude. Stick to your patch, Mr C, and you might gain some credibility when you start arresting some of the big fish.

I second that the figures produced by this paragon of honesty - are crap.

Most of the so-called rehabilitation 'programs' are nothing more than boot camps. There are a few, it must be said, that try to teach the inmates some skills that may be useful when they are released.

Blaming other countries like Burma is a stupid attitude. Stick to your patch, Mr C, and you might gain some credibility when you start arresting some of the big fish.

The crap figures began last year when the virtuous lady boss of the paragon of honesty said they were going to eradicate 80% of drugs by this month.

That fantasy was also shared shortly later by the ear medicine consumer.

Chalerm: Isaan set to become drug-free region

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1