Thai House Sewage Treatment - How Does It Work?

Mine isnt quite like that, I just have two septic tanks, one either side of the house.

They are supposed to be pretty maintenance free, but I find I have to call City Hall to come and empty them every 2 years.

Try this link..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank

These are one of the main reasons you shouldn't put paper down the toilet.

It is not a septic system just a dry well. You will need to pump this at some point and the smaller it is the more often. Just get a reg plastic septic tank and run the output of that to the rings or drain field. A proper drain field is harder to make. The separated water from the septic tank will make its way to the rings the heavy will set in the tank and brake down.

Start the septic tank with a simple small bag of yeast. We run a split system and only the toilets go to the septic tank and the gray water goes to its own set of rings or dry wells. A proper running septic tank almost never needs pumping - mine has run near 15 years already and has three bath rooms connected to it. Removed the cover a few years ago and sounded the tank and was near nothing in it but water and we use paper. At this rate I estimate it may need pumping around 20 years after I die.

In our part of Thailand there are lorries that do the pumping out for you. I presume its the same all over Thailand. The lorries are painted all blue around here and have a long black vacuum like pipe that they put into the tank and pump out the muck. They patrol around the area looking for customers and you just flag them down when you need them, which is not very often and very cheap when you do.

As for paper most Thai families dont use it, they use the hand held bidet-shower. I actuallly prefer this to paper, does a better job.

You can get septic tanks pumped out for about 3-400 baht here in HuaHin. Every 2-3 years depending on toilet use.

Make sure they are not just pumping the water out. The tank always looks full even when it is working. Sound the tank and check the level of solids because they are what needs pumping not the water. That applies to a septic tank - if it is just the dry well rings it will fill and need pumping at some point so it might be a good idea to just schedule doing it every few years as part of the assumed cost of not using a real septic tank - rather then waiting for the back up to tell you that you have a problem.

I have a friend who owns a honey wagon business in Northern Canada- he's told me 100 times don't waste your money on pumping out even with the frost line (meaning the bacteria is slow to grow) add 1 or 2 golf ball size of rancid minced/ground beef or pork every 2-3 months. (Leave it in a ziplock bag for 3-4 days or longer at room temperature-smells awful) the bacteria boost will eat the solids. Septic tanks are built to expel the water the trick is breaking down the solids and tissue paper.

I've asked him about Thailand and how often, as RKASA correctly states it is the solids you want removed not the water, my friend said maybe 3-5 years but he thinks even longer if you follow the bacteria regime. When he drains a tank they will add 6-8 golf balls rancid minced meat to kick start the empty tank.

• Like 1

I have a friend who owns a honey wagon business in Northern Canada- he's told me 100 times don't waste your money on pumping out even with the frost line (meaning the bacteria is slow to grow) add 1 or 2 golf ball size of rancid minced/ground beef or pork every 2-3 months. (Leave it in a ziplock bag for 3-4 days or longer at room temperature-smells awful) the bacteria boost will eat the solids. Septic tanks are built to expel the water the trick is breaking down the solids and tissue paper.

I've asked him about Thailand and how often, as RKASA correctly states it is the solids you want removed not the water, my friend said maybe 3-5 years but he thinks even longer if you follow the bacteria regime. When he drains a tank they will add 6-8 golf balls rancid minced meat to kick start the empty tank.

A dead rabbit has the same effect!thumbsup.gif Although they are a bit scarce here!

• Like 1

A dead rabbit has the same effect!thumbsup.gif Although they are a bit scarce here!

A dead Chicken also and they aren't scarce