Getting Refused Entry To Thailand - Help Needed!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still like to know what got the guy in trouble to begin with. There has to be more to this story.

I think it was particularly bad because the Koreans knew perfectly that the he would have been detained in Thailand, but preferred to bounce him off by paying a cheap ticket rather than send him back home.

Upon entry denial the airline would be responsible to return him to the country of origin and in this case it was Thailand.

I'd still like to know what got the guy in trouble to begin with. There has to be more to this story.

I think it was particularly bad because the Koreans knew perfectly that the he would have been detained in Thailand, but preferred to bounce him off by paying a cheap ticket rather than send him back home.

Upon entry denial the airline would be responsible to return him to the country of origin and in this case it was Thailand.

Sure, and that creates a perfect loop considering that as explained before, Other Asian (ASEAN ?) countries will refuse entry to those that have been refused by others. Just another demonstration why movies (and documentaries) about these stories exists.

Not that anybody gives a dam_n of course.

If he was refused entry to Korea that would mean he would not have a visa stamp FROM Korea in his passport. You say they just "gave" him a letter refusing entry so why would he even show that to immigration when arriving in Bkk?

Secondly, I don't think contacting newspapers in Argentina is going to help however contacting certain English newspapers here would help.

Thirdly, You say all the numbers on the Argentinian website don't work. Maybe they have changes. Try calling 1113 (directory assistance) and asking for the current embassy number.

Fourthly, call the tourist police because as stated already it is the police's responsibility to contact the embassy's of any foreigners they are detaining.

Keep us posted as to what happens please

PS; NewlymintedThai does have a valid point. we all want to know all of the details that happen in situations like this in order for all of our future knowledge. I don't think he was just being nosey by asking.

• Like 1

I have no "problem". I simply would like to know so that other people can benefit from his experience and not make the same mistake.

Surely that's not a difficult concept to grasp?

Once again: it has been explained in opening post, backpacker, no hotel reservation, no return ticket (this last is a supposition of mine).

Is that difficult to grasp ?

In all this cases international police can reject the entrance without any reason it's a risk all the time, this happend a lot to people not enoght handsome for the international police as somebody say, maybe only looks poor, homeless or simple get nervous with some questions.

If he not have an ensurance he must pay the fly to Argentina, if he have a fly ticket with transit to another country he need to contact to the embassy of Argentina ASAP this is a diplomacy thing, Argentina can do the same with thai travelers and these things can close international agreements if they are controversial or public.

I think if he not have money the Argentina government can give a fast loan to him and later he need to pay in Argentina or discount directly from salary.

He can contact with the New Zealand embassy or Chilean embassy the may be able to help with advices flights or what he need to do, wherever place is better than jail.

I have no "problem". I simply would like to know so that other people can benefit from his experience and not make the same mistake.

Once again: it has been explained in opening post, backpacker, no hotel reservation, no return ticket (this last is a supposition of mine).

What's difficult to grasp is why you expect us to accept your "supposition" as fact instead of trying to learn the true facts, so that others can benefit from the poor guy's mistake.

Hi!!! I get information from the embassy of Argentina

he need to call directly to the "la consul"

I will send you the number by PM since is the directly mobile phone of she

these are the Embassy numbers

Argentina embassy

Embassy of Argentina in Bangkok, Thailand

Suite 1601, Glas Haus Bldg., No. 1 Sukhumvit 25, Sukhumvit Road

Bangkok

Thailand

Phone:

+66-2-259-0401

+66-2-259-9198

Fax:

+66-2-259-0402

E-mail:

[email protected]

Emergency numbers

085 221 9398

083 778 7000

I still fail to see why he was locked up here by immigration when he flew in from Korea unless Argentinians require a visa before arrival ? Something just doesn't sound right in all this.

Because, as you would learn by reading this thread in full:

There is an Asian agreement that if someone is refused entry into an Asian country all other Asian countries will refuse entry as well.

He did not fly voluntarily to BKK, He was being sent back from Korea with a big stamp in his passport. Then "if ain't good enough for Korea, ain't good enough for Thailand"

No need to second guess even the simplest things.

Edited by paz

What's difficult to grasp is why you expect us to accept your "supposition" as fact instead of trying to learn the true facts, so that others can benefit from the poor guy's mistake.

And how we could learn the true fact? With the guy posting here supporting evidence from his comfortable room at the detention center? You are just being pedantic in an attempt to defend your initial attitude of incredulity.

Edited by paz

Citizens of Argentina do not require a visa for South Korea for a stay of up to 30 days for tourism purposes only, also can receive visa on arrival in Thailand. I was once denied entry to Denmark (insufficient funds) and was bounced back to Germany, then Holland, Belgium until I arrived back in the UK. Don't know if it is still the protocol, but upon being denied entry my passport was stamped with entry refused & this triggered the whole process.

It sounds like this is what has happened to the OP's friend. Border control is now a lot tougher & I would assume that he will have to obtain the funds/co-operation of his embassy to get a flight home. Letter is probably a formal notification, but likely will also have a stamp in passport equivalent to denied entry & will need to obtain a replacement passport for future travel once back in Argentina.

• Like 1

And how we could learn the true fact? With the guy posting here supporting evidence from his comfortable room at the detention center? You are just being pedantic in an attempt to defend your initial attitude of incredulity.

Get off my back. Everyone here (but you, it seems) wants to know what really happened.

You show up here a dozen or more posts ago and are already telling people to shut up, accept your "suppositions", and "move on nothing to see here"?

Do you have some sort of stake in this matter? Or are you just incredibly self-righteous and self-important?

• Like 2

Get off my back. Everyone here (but you, it seems) wants to know what really happened.

You show up here a dozen or more posts ago and are already telling people to shut up, accept your "suppositions", and "move on nothing to see here"?

Do you have some sort of stake in this matter? Or are you just incredibly self-righteous and self-important?

Please excuse me Mr. Forum Seniority for disturbing while on a just battle for knowing the facts. Let us know when you have them, in the meanwhile try to knock off some attitude.

• Like 1

The world has changed. Sadly the reality is some countries may think your friends visit could be more trouble than it's worth. Without money to spend your friends presence may offer little of appeal to many countries

• Like 1

Please excuse me Mr. Forum Seniority for disturbing while on a just battle for knowing the facts. Let us know when you have them, in the meanwhile try to knock off some attitude.

Maybe your "friend" has a similar attitude which might explain his entry refusal to Korea.

• Like 1

Of course while totally innocent he may have been flagged for same inadmissble reason on the Thai and South Korean computers.

Common name eg Francisco Franco could have led to confusion with a famil member of the AIMA Argentine terrorists etc ,cock up or perhaps wealthy countries are tired of overstayers like the 150,000 failed asylum seekers in Uk or the millions of illegals here.

Perhas of course he was the guy in the disgusting tasteless ad stepping on the war memorial of dead servicemen for profit in which case may he rot in hell with all the other fascists who killed thousands of Falklanders Britons Gurkhas and mainly their own citizens during that countries dirty war

I still fail to see why he was locked up here by immigration when he flew in from Korea unless Argentinians require a visa before arrival ? Something just doesn't sound right in all this.

He's in the immigration system. Was leaving Thailand, a day before, but didn't 'go anywhere', cause no stamp in the passport, from any country.

That can be the reason, for showing the immigration that letter from Korea.

Or the airline staff informed the airport, and the got 'picked up' in the plane. What I assume, anyway!

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1

whistling.gif I wonder why the Koreans didn't allow him into Korea originally also.

But that's not really relevant to the story.

But it brings up the possibility of it happening to someone else and illustrates the following:

If you travel to another country ALWAYS have a return ticket to your home country with you.

And, frankly, if you can't afford that return ticket....don't go.

No country in the world has an obligation to help it's citizens that are in trouble in another country.

Now some countries do more than others to help their nationals in another country.

Where Argentina stands in rhat regard I don't know.

But anyone, from any country, who has the expectation of being helped by his or her embessy if they get in trouble in a foriegn country is sadly mistaken about that expectation.

That's exactly why you need at least the funds available to purchase the ticket....but an actual ticket is better.

When I worked in Saudi Arabia the project I worked on was a special project for the Royal Saudi Air Force and directly connected through them to the king of Saudi Arabia.

For that reason we had to sign an agreement that if we violated any of the laws of Saudi Arabia we were subject to immediate termination....we would be fired.

One of our employees was arrested for public drunkedness...and that's a serious crime in Saudi Arabia.

I had to take his work shift with short notice....because he was deported from Saudi for that episode of public drunkedness.

To get him deported the Saudi government asked for him, by name, to be removed from Saudi in a request to the U.S. embessy in riyadh.

The U.S. gave him 24 hours to exit Saudi Arabia. The actual letter was from the personal secretary of the Crown Prince....and was at the specific request of the king.

He tried to complain to the U.S. embessy....they didn't have the right to do that (he thought ).

They just laughed at him.

Two Saudi policemen accompanied him to the airplane and watched him leave.

He was an idiot anyhow.

I had/still have no sympathy for that guy....I had to work an unexpected 12 hour shift because of him. That made me work two 12 hour shits back-to-back to cover for him.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

I gotta say I feel sorry for the guy, the only thing I can suggest is contact his embassy failing that if he has a good friend then the friend should go visit him and do what is necessary to help.

One thing I will say is KEEP AWAY from lawyers they will bleed him dry and not help.

Good luck.

I read a lot about immigration problems for countries of south america or latin america, some of this news are very popular, I remembered a news about two Argentinians that were send back to Argentina from NZ, without a clear reason at all from the international police or the NZ authorities, the Argentinians complain about they were discriminated for they aspect, racist issue, they really had not good looking but they had already approved a working holiday visa for one year, with flight tickets to back, money, ensurance, and hotel reservation and having everything, they were rejected to entrance to NZ.

This was very popular they were interviewed many times. I think is a kind of understanding or solidarity about people from latin america. another similar situation are the Teleton or that 2010 Copiapó mining accident I remembered that in NZ something similar happened but the people were announced dead and nobody complain, in Copiapo the mine company announced that the workers were dead but the family and friends complain to the authorities, went to the news and make noise, the company change the statement, at the end was a world wide news and people from every where follow the news, including here in Thailand so in this subject authorities or general the people are different in South america, not so selfish or distant, think that it's normal to give a kiss or a hug to men or girls when you say hello.

Really I get a very good feedback from the Argentina Embassy

BTW I love NZ nothing bad about the people or the country I only were surprised about the reaction.

• Like 1

He's in the immigration system. Was leaving Thailand, a day before, but didn't 'go anywhere', cause no stamp in the passport, from any country.

Or the airline staff informed the airport, and the got 'picked up' in the plane. What I assume, anyway!

So if I fly to the UK where I do not need nor require any stamp and then fly back to Thailand the next day I would find myself in the same situation ?

I rather doubt it.

What if he had gone home and come back ?

Something more is going on here than is being stated. it has to be for this to be happening.

• Like 1

So if I fly to the UK where I do not need nor require any stamp and then fly back to Thailand the next day I would find myself in the same situation ?

No, you wouldn't!

First, you're in the system, flying to Europe, that day before.

Second, even if not, there is always a Chance, to have a direct flight to Bangkok, for a european, from Europe.

Not so many from Argentina, and 'mostly' not done in that timeslot.

Third: The Crew does not HAVE to board you, cause the UK wasn't deporting you. You bought a ticket, no pick up in the plane ;-)

Edited by noob7

I rather doubt it.

Something more is going on here than is being stated. it has to be for this to be happening.

Just to clear this up for some of you that don't fully understand.

The deal is you go back to the country of your passport and then get a new passport and then you can enter any country; provided that you meet the requirements of entry to that country.

You have to go back to the country of origin because no other country will accept you, unless you pull the refugee card and then it is detention until approved. This takes about 3 years.

If the guy can't afford a ticket he stays where he is until he can.

As he has been signed out of Thailand he is in limbo ie he is not in any country not even Thailand he is in detention until he can afford to go home. It is the same as going to Poipet to do a visa run and sign out of Thailand but are not allowed into Cambodia. You are stuck in that piece of land between the immigration offices in limbo forever. Of course in that situation it is easy to enter either country but then you are illegal and can never be stamped out because you have not been stamped in. It's a bit like the Ground Hog Day situation.

This whole deal is standard procedure and has been in operation for years.

He doesn't have to fly Thai airways but Immigration and TA are tied up somehow and they are probably trying to boost the airline's pockets.

No more post from the OP after the first page, troll. The problem with many young travellers is a lack of adaquate funds to take care of themselves if something befalls them. I was in a hospital in Chiang Mai a few years ago and a girl there had a foot infection that they where treating. After talking to her a few mins. money was going to be an issue as she didn't have much. This was an infection she got by scratching a insect bite so it doesn't take much to wind up in trouble.

So show up at a airport or land border crossing with out proof of support, on ward travel ticket, hotel reservation, or a contact number you may be out of luck. China just changed there requirements visa to a hotel reservation and a letter of invitation from someone. this is to keep the really low budget people out.

Even a visa doesn.t guarantee entry to a country.

Edited by moe666

I rather doubt it.

Just to clear this up for some of you that don't fully understand.

The deal is you go back to the country of your passport and then get a new passport and then you can enter any country; provided that you meet the requirements of entry to that country.

You have to go back to the country of origin because no other country will accept you, unless you pull the refugee card and then it is detention until approved. This takes about 3 years.

If the guy can't afford a ticket he stays where he is until he can.

As he has been signed out of Thailand he is in limbo ie he is not in any country not even Thailand he is in detention until he can afford to go home. It is the same as going to Poipet to do a visa run and sign out of Thailand but are not allowed into Cambodia. You are stuck in that piece of land between the immigration offices in limbo forever. Of course in that situation it is easy to enter either country but then you are illegal and can never be stamped out because you have not been stamped in. It's a bit like the Ground Hog Day situation.

This whole deal is standard procedure and has been in operation for years.

He doesn't have to fly Thai airways but Immigration and TA are tied up somehow and they are probably trying to boost the airline's pockets.

First of all, my farang neighbour (Belgian) got deported because her visa was some how doggy.

Back in Bruxelles she got new passport and was back with in the month.

Secondly, I know immigration laws changed and if you get deported it's on a direct flight only.

But I thought it was either to you home country or one who can't refuse you entry. e.g australia

for brits, or any EU county for EU citizens?

So could it be that if this guy has Argentinian Passport that Spain could be an altenative?