Building A Small Village Shop - Cost

Richie1971

Op, how about we take a different tact on the subject, How much do you want your in laws to generate [profit ] from the business. How much are you willing to give, money wise.

Thailand is not some sort of magic utopia, where everything is cheap and when you sell you make a fortune. Businesses here run the same as in the west. 10% is a good return, here or anywhere.

Just like in the west most small unprepared businesses fail, if there is an opportunity Thais with money are not slow to take it.

So if we say you want them to earn say 300,000 a year, you are looking at an investment of 3 mil. ball park numbers.

Before anyone jumps up and says you can do it on less, yes Bill Gates started with nothing and a few others, but most have to pay for the job.

OP have a look a bahtandsold. People would not be paying that kind of money if they could just set up on the cheap and make the same profits.

If you find an opening that makes money in a village please tell me.

On the fertilizer side, I have a factory and was approached by a fertilizer company about setting up a sales point. The amount of money I would have needed for trucks forklifts, warehouse etc was not that much different than it would have cost [owing the land ] in the west and no local store could compete on cost. Jim

Cheers Jim - been here since i was 34 and know the ropes regarding business - something that could turn over 4-5k Baht profit per month would be ideal - just pocket money or enough to contribute to their costs - Forklifts? I don't live there, I'm in Hua Hin - How you guys can actually live up there is amazing - I might have been a bad bloke and I might deserve to got to hell but I sure don't deserve village life in Issan - More comfortable and not so hot in hell!wacko.png

Edited by Richie1971

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can earn anything over 20.000 baht a month you are doing very well.

did you mean 2000 baht? lol at making 20 000 baht a month with a little village shop selling veggies. do these "veggies" make you see funny colors?

Maybe 20.000 Baht turnover?giggle.gif

Working? Doing anything without a workpermit.

The involvement with a sometime helping hand in a small Thai village, in the country side, is,

as far as I see and saw it, not so dangerous and must not be in steady fear to be soon facing legal proceedings. (Different in cities and Tourist towns)

My German neighbor in a Chayaphum rural village, tried all kind of different farming, with and without animals and did even the heavy labor himself.

Over years, no problem.

Another buddy from the Netherlands, in a Udon Thani rural village, modified his Pick Up and drives with 2 dozens of school children to and from school,

for a small amount of money, paid from the school children, since long time. Sometimes he and his Pick Up, is also rented out as a Taxi.

No official complains! He is part of the community, but lives alone, his Ex GF is in Sweden with the 'new' guy from the Internet.wink.png

All what he invested in land and the house he built and lives in, is in his Ex GF name.

Until now that is accepted.rolleyes.gif

To the -OP-

-Skyanimal- and some others said it well and all already.

Our turnover on the Thai food.... Noodles,Somtam and rice dishes(3 tables and takeaway)we sell is around 20.000 a month on its own wink.png my there are a lot of jealous farangs on here also i see wai.gif

The fridges where free years ago CTO and they also supplied around 200 free bottles of coke to start you off with! i don't know if they do it now?

Op, how about we take a different tact on the subject, How much do you want your in laws to generate [profit ] from the business. How much are you willing to give, money wise.

Thailand is not some sort of magic utopia, where everything is cheap and when you sell you make a fortune. Businesses here run the same as in the west. 10% is a good return, here or anywhere.

Just like in the west most small unprepared businesses fail, if there is an opportunity Thais with money are not slow to take it.

So if we say you want them to earn say 300,000 a year, you are looking at an investment of 3 mil. ball park numbers.

Before anyone jumps up and says you can do it on less, yes Bill Gates started with nothing and a few others, but most have to pay for the job.

OP have a look a bahtandsold. People would not be paying that kind of money if they could just set up on the cheap and make the same profits.

If you find an opening that makes money in a village please tell me.

On the fertilizer side, I have a factory and was approached by a fertilizer company about setting up a sales point. The amount of money I would have needed for trucks forklifts, warehouse etc was not that much different than it would have cost [owing the land ] in the west and no local store could compete on cost. Jim

Cheers Jim - been here since i was 34 and know the ropes regarding business - something that could turn over 4-5k Baht profit per month would be ideal - just pocket money or enough to contribute to their costs - Forklifts? I don't live there, I'm in Hua Hin - How you guys can actually live up there is amazing - I might have been a bad bloke and I might deserve to got to hell but I sure don't deserve village life in Issan - More comfortable and not so hot in hell!wacko.png

On that I can speak from experience, wife was bored and kids were off school, so she set up a milk shake shop in front of the house. Now we have little stalls that sell ice drinks etc around, now wife has lived in OZ for awhile and brought back a big solid blender, sunbeam I think. Anyway she set up using powder milk and powdered cream, sprinkles. jelly and chocolate sticks. Not just some flavoring mixed with crushed ice. Drinks wre 10, 15, and 20 Baht. Kids were coming from miles around to get these starnge milk shakes. On a good day she would turn a 1000 Baht, 500 profit.

When the kids returned to school turn over dropped off, but weekends were good. At a guess she made 4,000 Baht a month profit while it was going.

That's not how we make our money and she got bored with it and it interfered with going shopping. None of the family could be bothered and it was closed up, no doubt to be resurrected again next school hols, when my kids are stuck at home.

Total cost except for the blender was 3000 Baht.

Thailand is a land of free enterprise and if you are willing to put the effort in and have something a bit different you can succeed or at least make a living. JIm

"Thailand is a land of free enterprise and if you are willing to put the effort in and have something a bit different you can succeed or at least make a living. JIm

You are so right. You'd be arrested for selling drinks outside your home back in the UK. No licence, no health certificate, no planning permission - deep shit time. Here as long as it tastes good then never mind smile.png

That's way I live here in the out-lands. freedom, there is no one to tell me I can't do this or that. YET, but it is coming. Jim

To me appearances can make a big difference to how many customers you have and therefore the profit you make.

A shop underneath the house would not be as appealing (though initial outlay much less) than a stand alone shop with decent frontage and decor. Think you need to stand out from the rest. Also a shop underneath the house would mean people coming all hours especially the local drunks who feel can just bang on the door for more beer.

Some good replies - However the family are neither drinkers or layabouts - I have a feeling some of the posters have had bad experiences in the past (or more likely living the dream nightmare with a Leo and a keyboard for company) and are feeling bitter - I merely asked about the set up costs for a shop in a village, nothing more nothing less

I understand your question but let's be honest it is an impossible question to answer as there are so many things to take into account.

Such as how much floor space you have, What new structures you need to put in place to make it a 'shop'.and what the cost is to make it secure when one goes to sleep. What fittings you need to buy and their cost.What you plan on selling, how easy and how far you have to travel for stock and build in that cost foe each thing you sell. How much stock can you hold as the more bulk purchases the cheaper you can buy therefore more profit you make. That is only a few things to consider.

I had my own business in UK for 22 years so have some understanding of what is required to have a profitable business. Believe me it is hard work and as I said in previous posts looked into the same thing in my wife's village but after a lot of though decided it was a no brainer.

Anyway if you decide in the end to go for it, the best of luck. (keep the paracetamol handy)

• Like 1

My question is 'what do the inlaws want?' Was this their idea? Any small business will be hard work and will fail if they are not prepared to put in the effort. 2nd question what businesses are there already and are there enough customers. you want to set up something (independend of of you are there or not) for which there are enough customers. So no 3rd small village shop, but its ok if there is none and now people have to go to town to buy basics.

I set up a pig feed shop on an area with a lot of pig-farmers which had to get their feed from 10km away an pay 10bath a bag for transportation. We buy wholesale and deliver and in the end we make a profit and the farmers are not paying more then before but get the feed delivered free.

Regarding helping to set something up while you are away:

I also helped some family and friends set up some things when I still lived in the netherlands.

I always asked for some kind of business plan (verbal) and guarantee. They would give me their deeds to land or owmership documents from their car as colleteral. I would give it back as soon as they had paid me back.

I loaned an uncle the money to buy a cheap 2nd hand truck and convert it to a bus to drive kids to school. the kids pay him once a semester. He paid me back in two years and has now been driving the schoolbus for 7 years.

Loaned money to another uncle to buy pump and irrigation equipment. Resulting in much better yields from farming. Money returned after the first crops.

I loaned some friendsthe money for setting up a noodle shop (first one in the village, 10years ago). Money returned in a year.

Other examples include lending money to raise a couple of cows, pigs, and chicken.

All this I did while not being present and only on one occasion did I have trouble with getting my money back.

I never give money, only loan it out (first time to family without interest). And always ask for some collateral so you have a leaver if they don't want to work and just lay around and drink.

Btw all this was sequential. We had some money reserved to help our thai family/friends and when it was paid back we loaned it to the next one.

When me and my wife finaly moved to live in our village permanently after 12years in the netherlands this stopped of course. Here we have a 'thai' income from shop and our pigfarm so money is tight.

But as a result of these 12 years we are well liked and respected and if i am a bit short I can buy/ eat/drink on credit if I need , people sometimes work for free to help out or I pay them when I have money and friends/family haved loaned me money on occasion.

So it works both ways.

So help your inlaws if THEY are serious about setting something up. Since they were farmers they are used to hard work and don't need that much income. Helping them with a loan (may be a 50 year one) will be more effective then a gift. It will also save them face(they are businessmen not beggars) and you will be seen as a farang who wants to help the family instead of a dumb farang to be fleeced.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

Also I have never been asked for any type of loan from anyone, I am simply researching options that may or may not be able to turn 4/5k baht per month profit. It really is as simple as that. What people send back from overseas for whatever reason is simply not relevant to my question.

Richie, I understand. I just wanted to react to all those comments which say that an enterprise will fail if there is no farang to oversee it. Simply not true.

Regarding village shop costs. Since you have been here so long you probably know that costs would be the costs for walling up the area underneath the house, some kind of gate/door, some shelves a.d the stuff to sell. Easy to calculate if you get some quotes from a builder in the village and building material shops. And if it should fail you have build a nice new ground floor which you/they can use for other purposes.

But in my opinion you will only make your sales target if its the first shop in the village. So look whats lacking.

But in my opinion you will only make your sales target if its the first shop in the village. So look whats lacking.

Very true until someone else notices you look like your succeeding and then a further 15 will spring up!

Please note that i said 'look like' and not 'are succeeding.

• Like 1

Richie, I understand. I just wanted to react to all those comments which say that an enterprise will fail if there is no farang to oversee it. Simply not true.

Regarding village shop costs. Since you have been here so long you probably know that costs would be the costs for walling up the area underneath the house, some kind of gate/door, some shelves a.d the stuff to sell. Easy to calculate if you get some quotes from a builder in the village and building material shops. And if it should fail you have build a nice new ground floor which you/they can use for other purposes.

You do mean you will only make your sales target if you are the biggest shop(best stocked) in the village yes?

Very true until someone else notices you look like your succeeding and then a further 15 will spring up!

True, but it depends on the village and the wealth of people on it. Setting up a shop with a good selection of stuff is not something a villager or farmer who occasionaly earns250 bath as a day labourer can do easily.

So try tp set up something which cannot be easily copied because of financial considerations, specific expertice required or contacts needed.

You do mean you will only make your sales target if you are the biggest shop(best stocked) in the village yes?

Yes,

in a small isaan village with farmers and day laborers earning around 200 bath a day most village shops make only about 3000 bath a month from their normal sales. If you need 5000+ you need tobe the best or have that reputation or supplement income with other services. Around here some of the better shops also sell food or repair bikes, sell gas etc

I agree with the above.

You only have to look at the market at Kap Choeng on the Cambodian border to see the Thai mentality.

There are 100's of shops but the majority (I would guess over 70%) sell the same things, bags or shoes.

!n one soi I counted 5 shops next to each other selling shoes and the stock was the same in each, this was followed by 3 shops selling bags then another 2 shoe shops etc etc.

On the other side of the soi it wa almost identical.

Now to me this is insane because in a business like that, competion is not good because all one does is play one shop against the other to get the best price, consequently the profit margin is lowered and naturally there is less customers per shop.

I also noticed a similar thing in Pattaya with the Thai Massage shops. Too many of them in the same area in certain places 3 or 4 next to each other. When one had a 'promotion' then the rest had to follow or lose out on customers.

The same will happen in a small village IF you do ok.

Why not try something different like a bicycle shop that not only sells but repairs them. Most children need a bicycle to go to school or meet up with friends.

Good idea. I stated the above not because I am a negative type of person (pint glass half empty) but I have been there,done that and got the divorce papers to prove it. wub.png

Personal responsibility and liaibility is the key. If you set anyone,anywhere up in business without adequate prior training and input into the business and it all starts on 'hand outs', those same hands will come begging for more when the nest-egg has vanished.

Look around your location and see who is making the money and why.

I've never lived in such a village, just passed through so I know little, but I'd appreciate a chance to learn. I'm loving this thread. Random thoughts:

In the US busineeses love to bunch together to draw to their type of business. Thus food courts, shopping centers with several major jewelers in them... Lots of major chain restaurants in the same area... The idea is that if people are thinking of going to eat or to shop for jewelry, they go to that spot and sometimes only then decide where to eat or shop around different jewelers or shoe stores in that mall, etc. Just a thought...

Someone made a comment about kids liking farang food. Is that true? In the US food from other cultures is incredibly popular ie Chinese, Thai, Mexican, E. Indian, etc. Seems like half of the successful restaurants fall into that category. Ramble continues....

I used to be an investor in a restaurant - ordinary American restaurant. By far the most profitable meal was breakfast based on food cost as a percentage of gross. McDonald's most profitable meals are breakfast considering gross profit. How many egg McMuffins have they sold? How many of those lousy deep fried "hash brown" potatoes have they sold? You make a killing on pancakes and even more on waffles.

What if a person had an electric skillet, a small electic pancake grill, a waffle maker, some bread makers... If he cranked out egg McMuffins, skillet fried hash brown, pancakes and waffles, would they sell? Would they sell at a profit?

Does anyone sell the kids chocolate milk and hot cocoa, or is that too expensive? Do the kids have that anyway?

I have no clue. Just curious.

• Like 1

Rant continues as thoughts come...

Soft ice cream is almost all profit. There's no cream in it. It's a skim milk product with sugar and flavor, and the machine makes the texture. Milk shakes from soft Ice cream are very high profit. Soft drinks made on site with a machine are so cheap the paper products cost more than the drink which is half ice... (Plastic straws and lids are called "paper.")

This is how McDonalds makes money. They can't make money on a hamburger because the food cost is too high and the competition too great. Beef is expensive. They make the money on the site-made soft drinks, the fries, the ice cream etc. They make money on breakfast.

I have to wonder about a soft ice cream machine that would at the flip of a switch turn out either ice cream or milk shake in a choice of two flavors.

Could the people afford that? Are paper and plastic affordable, or do you need to wash dishes?

Would people passing through the village stop?

Ever see a shop that even today makes its own cones for ice cream? It's like a waffle iron with a high sugar batter. When the cone is done the round "waffle" is pliable and formed around a cone mold, but when it cools it's hard and crispy and tasty.

I'm asking, not telling... smile.png

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Two basic issues involved . Business sense and sustainable loss. I'm sure that OP's in laws are hard working . The issue is whether they have the capability to run a business. If 6 months after making a heavy investment, you discover that they dont have a head for business, then the loss will be big.

So I'd say start them up with some tables under the house, stocked up with with general merchandise which can sell. Then after 6 months you'll have a fair idea of how it's going. They will get a feedback from their marketplace as to what sells and what is profitable. Then expand along those items and possibly make a more permanent structure with a bigger investment.

However, if after 6 months it turns out that this is not what they want to do or it's not profitable, then it's easy to close shop , sell of all the assets and cut losses. Wishing to help the in-laws is an honorable thing but it has to be tempered with the reality of life.

• Like 2

Two basic issues involved . Business sense and sustainable loss. I'm sure that OP's in laws are hard working . The issue is whether they have the capability to run a business. If 6 months after making a heavy investment, you discover that they dont have a head for business, then the loss will be big.

So I'd say start them up with some tables under the house, stocked up with with general merchandise which can sell. Then after 6 months you'll have a fair idea of how it's going. They will get a feedback from their marketplace as to what sells and what is profitable. Then expand along those items and possibly make a more permanent structure with a bigger investment.

However, if after 6 months it turns out that this is not what they want to do or it's not profitable, then it's easy to close shop , sell of all the assets and cut losses. Wishing to help the in-laws is an honorable thing but it has to be tempered with the reality of life.

My brother is hard working, however he couldnt run a bath.

There are two types of people in the world, the ones who give orders and the ones who follow orders, all the hard work in the world cant compensate for the lack of a business brain.

For those who think its easy, theres more to it than going to Tesco/Lotus and stocking up on Mama noodles and Leo then driving back to some one buffalo town and jacking the price of everything you just bought up by 5 baht per item.

Selling 3 cigarettes for 10 baht may return 30+% profits, but the locals prefer the rolling tobacco, same with 50 baht Leos, the locals prefer 40 baht whisky.

Many times in these shops I see written in Thai, cash only, that may keep the locals off your back, but wait until worthless family members start helping themselves.

Lazy <deleted> sons who would rather play games than serve customers, lazy daughters more concerned with some pimply faced punk with zits on a motorbike than take orders.

Best of luck to you guys.

• Like 1

There are two types of people in the world, the ones who give orders and the ones who follow orders, all the hard work in the world cant compensate for the lack of a business brain.

For those who think its easy, theres more to it than going to Tesco/Lotus and stocking up on Mama noodles and Leo then driving back to some one buffalo town and jacking the price of everything you just bought up by 5 baht per item.

Selling 3 cigarettes for 10 baht may return 30+% profits, but the locals prefer the rolling tobacco, same with 50 baht Leos, the locals prefer 40 baht whisky.

Many times in these shops I see written in Thai, cash only, that may keep the locals off your back, but wait until worthless family members start helping themselves.

Lazy <deleted> sons who would rather play games than serve customers, lazy daughters more concerned with some pimply faced punk with zits on a motorbike than take orders.

Another rank generalization from you..... two types really? What experience have you had of running a shop here,i am intrigued?

I think we all know the difficulties involved especially those that have dealt with this business idea hands on......from all your posts on this very helpful thread your negativity and generalization about anything Thai shines through,lazy this lazy that!!! we all do not have lazy members of our families as you must of experienced sometimes... if you think like this...why stay here?

Good luck to you and your lot.

• Like 1

I've never lived in such a village, just passed through so I know little, but I'd appreciate a chance to learn. I'm loving this thread. Random thoughts:

In the US busineeses love to bunch together to draw to their type of business. Thus food courts, shopping centers with several major jewelers in them... Lots of major chain restaurants in the same area... The idea is that if people are thinking of going to eat or to shop for jewelry, they go to that spot and sometimes only then decide where to eat or shop around different jewelers or shoe stores in that mall, etc. Just a thought...

Someone made a comment about kids liking farang food. Is that true? In the US food from other cultures is incredibly popular ie Chinese, Thai, Mexican, E. Indian, etc. Seems like half of the successful restaurants fall into that category. Ramble continues....

I used to be an investor in a restaurant - ordinary American restaurant. By far the most profitable meal was breakfast based on food cost as a percentage of gross. McDonald's most profitable meals are breakfast considering gross profit. How many egg McMuffins have they sold? How many of those lousy deep fried "hash brown" potatoes have they sold? You make a killing on pancakes and even more on waffles.

What if a person had an electric skillet, a small electic pancake grill, a waffle maker, some bread makers... If he cranked out egg McMuffins, skillet fried hash brown, pancakes and waffles, would they sell? Would they sell at a profit?

Does anyone sell the kids chocolate milk and hot cocoa, or is that too expensive? Do the kids have that anyway?

Burgers go down really well and you will have kids coming on bikes from other villages and we now do two sizes 2 days a week and temple days and big holidays 10 baht and 20 baht then they buy a drink or as you say the ice cream,kids have more money now than say 2/3 years ago and spend there pocket money on things like this.

Have also tried the waffles and pancakes but they are not as popular and the shop is busy enough to let others do these items.

Banana shakes are very profitable when you have a garden full of them mixed with ice and a little milk,as is nam keng si and the various fruit cordials.

I make somtam burgars which the older kids seem to enjoy as well as the ordinary ones which they smother in sweet sickly mayo thumbsup.gif always good at the weekends.

• Like 1

Another rank generalization from you..... two types really? What experience have you had of running a shop here,i am intrigued?

I think we all know the difficulties involved especially those that have dealt with this business idea hands on......from all your posts on this very helpful thread your negativity and generalization about anything Thai shines through,lazy this lazy that!!! we all do not have lazy members of our families as you must of experienced sometimes... if you think like this...why stay here?

Good luck to you and your lot.

"Another rank generalization from you..... two types really? What experience have you had of running a shop here,i am intrigued?"

So what do you do, follow or give orders?

No experience whatsoever, and no intention of ever getting involved or funding one, I am not a socialist, I have no intention of funding anything that doesnt cut it.

Already replied on a previous thread about what I have observed, guys working overseas and pouring their money into some black hole here in Thailand to buy "face" for the family.

"from all your posts on this very helpful thread your negativity and generalization about anything Thai shines through,lazy this lazy that!!! "

Read some of the other posts, not only I have observed.

"we all do not have lazy members of our families as you must of experienced sometimes"

Agreed.

"if you think like this...why stay here?"

You know nothing of me or my circumstances, however I will indulge you, I stay here for tax reasons.

We aint all skint pensioners or piss poor TEFLrs.

As for how long I will stay, I dont know, however I can walk away from here tomorrow without so much as a backward glance, personally, the mrs cant wait to leave here, but thats another story for another time.

We aint all , why bother.

Burgers go down really well and you will have kids coming on bikes from other villages and we now do two sizes 2 days a week and temple days and big holidays 10 baht and 20 baht then they buy a drink or as you say the ice cream,kids have more money now than say 2/3 years ago and spend there pocket money on things like this.

Have also tried the waffles and pancakes but they are not as popular and the shop is busy enough to let others do these items.

Banana shakes are very profitable when you have a garden full of them mixed with ice and a little milk,as is nam keng si and the various fruit cordials.

I make somtam burgars which the older kids seem to enjoy as well as the ordinary ones which they smother in sweet sickly mayo thumbsup.gif always good at the weekends.

Thanks. :)

Isn't a hamburger expensive to make with the meat? Is it a high profit item, or does it just draw people so they'll buy a high profit item?

Do you think you could get an actual soft drink machine that used the bottled syrups and carbinator so you could make soft drinks really cheap? Would the Coke distributor sell you the bottled syrups, and exchange the containers?

Do you think you could get a soft ice cream/milkshake machine?

Those two things are incredibly profitable items as the ingredients are very, very cheap even in the US.