Monthly Income Question For Retirement Visa For A Married Couple

I have heard conflicting information on the internet (imagine that) about the amount of monthly income my wife and I would be required to show to get a retirement visa.

We are US residents and are planning to retire in two years, both of us over 50 years old, married 38 years.

My retirement income will be over the $65,000 baht necessary for the retirement visa. The question is whether or not we will need to show $130,000 baht monthly income to meet the requirement for both of us. If so, can we show a combined retirement income of $130,000 baht to meet the requirements.

We would like to avoid having to tie up money in a bank account if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,

Duck Duck

You need to show a monthly income of 65,000 Baht.

Your Wife can then get the same 12 month extension as your dependent with no monthly income needed.

If she wants to get it in her own right you would both need 65,000 a month.

All correct information, but do not forget that BOTH of you needs to have a valid Non Immigrant-VISA at the time you apply...

GLEGOLO

Am sure that she can only piggy back (use your extension) when you are in Thailand and have had an extension, therefore she would need her own visas until that point, am sure one of the mods will correct me if I am wrong.

Have a friends whose wife has piggy backed on his multiple non-B for 12 years, no extensions.

A dependent remains in Thailand on extensions of stay the same as anyone else. A new TM.7 and 1,900 baht fee each year. Full information is in Police Order 777/2551 section

2.20 In the case of a family

member of an alien who has

been permitted temporary

stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2,

2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12,

2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17,

2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this

Order (applicable only to

parents, spouse, child,

adopted child or child of

his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a

time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Proof of family relationship;

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto; or

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her

spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with

the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, the said person shall be 50 years of

age or over.

When Hubby and I applied for O-A "retirement" visas in the U.S., we made the mistake of including a copy of our marriage license and putting our applications and supporting documents in the same envelop, along info about joint savingings accounts well in excess of 2X the requirement. We each applied for O-A visas, but our passports were returned with Hubby getting an O-A and me getting a multi-entry O. At Swampy he was stamped in for 12 months, but I got only 90 days. I was suppose to do either visa runs every 90 days or piggyback on my husband's permission and not have a visa of my own.

So, we had to scurry around and transfer 800,000 baht into Thailand to support my own retirement extension. We hadn't planned to move money to Thailand for nearly 2 years -- thinking we could work the benefits of a multi-entry O-A, doing a visa run just before our visas expired and thus getting another 12 month stamp.

Why didn't I just piggyback on Hubby's visa. Well, if something happens to the marriage then I'd have 7 days to leave Thailand, re-enter and start the process again for my own retirement visa. I figured I'd have plenty to do if he died in Thailand and a border run wouldn't be high on my list.

In general, unless it's a financial burden, it's best for husband and wife to maintain their own visas, rather than one piggybacking on the other's visa.

In general, unless it's a financial burden, it's best for husband and wife to maintain their own visas, rather than one piggybacking on the other's visa.

Both will be separate O-Visas by ".piggybacking" too.

No they will not - they will be extensions of stay after the initial entry non immigrant visa and if sponsor dies or changes status (d-i-v-o-r-c-e) the extension ends immediately. Although I would not be too concerned with immigration taking immediate action in such a case but at some point you would have to leave or change status.

No they will not - they will be extensions of stay after the initial entry non immigrant visa and if sponsor dies or changes status (d-i-v-o-r-c-e) the extension ends immediately. Although I would not be too concerned with immigration taking immediate action in such a case but at some point you would have to leave or change status.

Or if the "sponsor" runs off with a new-found Thai sweetie 1/3 his age and 1/2 his BMI, moving to another province (never to be seen again) without bothering to get a d-i-v-o-r-c-e. It's happened to a 3 or 4 women I know.

Thanks lopburi3

To clarify.

We are a married couple of retirement age.

We could each apply in Thailand for a Non-im "O" based on retirement with our own independent funds - just like two individuals.

or: We could each apply for a Non-imm "O" based on retirement but with only funds in my name but listing my wife.

The later would leave the wife vulnerable if I were to die - as stated in previous posts. Is it hard to get immigration to action a change of status for the wife to be able to remain in Thailand on a retirement visa. Would she need to exit and retirn on 60day extension and start retirement visa from scratch?

Thanks

It really is not a big issue (in my mind) as retirement is extremely easy extension of stay and can be started with even a visa exempt entry (you first change to non immigrant visa at immigration for 2,000 baht) and then extend normally after 60 days. Only age and proof of having the required funds (does not have to be seasoned) required for the conversion stage.

If you both want retirement extensions of stay that is fine and maybe twice the required amount in one account would be accepted (it used to be - but recently it seems to have become less likely from reports here). I would ask the specific immigration office to be sure before counting on it. To be sure you would both have accounts in your name only. I have seen someone say there is a pay on death provision available - but likely most people would just have ATM card available to both.