Don't Believe It: Rice Scheme Is A Major Worry

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

Don't believe it: Rice scheme is a major worry

The Nation September 30, 2012 1:00 am

BANGKOK: -- Thaksin's defence of costly price pledging policy ignores facts

In what superficially and briefly seemed like a good democratic exercise, that of a political leader defending his initiative, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra rebuffed critics of the Yingluck government's rice price-pledging scheme.

Speaking in Singapore, he shrugged off widespread domestic concern that the price guarantee policy would cause long-term damage to farmers, that it was already hurting Thai rice exports, and plagued with corruption.

The timing was conspicuous. His sister, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, was again on the global stage, with spotlight not just on her political problems but also economic performance. Her government's rating, though still relatively satisfactory, was beset by a number of issues. The last report by the Truth for Reconciliation Commission of Thailand tainted what Thaksin always proclaimed was a peaceful grass-root uprising in 2010 that paved the way for Yingluck to rise to power.

Political and ethical questions aside, Thaksin did not do a good job defending the rice price pledging policy. His claims that the programme, under which the government buys rice from farmers at well above market rates, was reaping economic gains that are about three times the scheme's cost, was vague, if not unproven.

Thaksin did not dwell on the serious issue of suspected rampant corruption. His attempt to counter criticism that the rice programme was glutting government storage and undermining Thailand's export status was also ambiguous. According to Thaksin, sales to Indonesia, Iraq and Ivory Coast, as well as other countries in the Middle East and Africa, would help keep reserves down. He added that with some "manipulation" in the next two to three years, things should "move naturally", benefiting Thai farmers and providing good economic cushion for the whole country amid global uncertainties.

Real figures, though, can hardly be disputed, and most, if not all, are not promising. Even Thaksin had to quote the worrisome records of 17 million tonnes of paddy in government hands apart from an estimated 4 million tonnes of milled rice. Thaksin was pinning hope on world rice prices continuing to climb, in his insistence that the programme would in fact benefit state coffers.

Such hope flies in the face of some massive figures that do not inspire confidence. The government has spent more than Bt280 billion since October buying about 18 million metric tonnes of un-milled rice from 2.45 million farmers at above-market rates, according to the Ministry of Commerce. Spending may even increase by a further Bt405 billion in the fiscal year starting October 1, as the government wants to buy as much as 34 million tonnes, Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom said last Friday.

Thaksin insisted Thai farmers were happy with the programme. The question is, what farmer wouldn't? A subsidy is the one thing that people on the "receiving end" do not complain about. And Thaksin did not mention the fact that the rice price-pledging scheme is not the only policy that requires a staggering state subsidy. This raises big questions, when he suggested that the government budget was unlikely to be seriously affected by what critics deem a populist approach.

Critics have estimated that the government could lose more than Bt100 billion from the first round of the price-pledging programme. And although the government tried to cite benefits for grassroots farmers, charges of corruption abound and concerns have grown over the competitiveness of the largest sector of the Thai population.

The critics view the rice price programme as a huge threat to the country's long-term fiscal discipline. With the farmers themselves likely to be affected in the long run by subsidies and handouts - which could wreak havoc on productivity, competitiveness or self-reliance - the scheme deserves to be thoroughly rethought. The need for a review is glaring, and Thaksin's attempt to repaint the programme with bright colours has done little to hide any of this.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-30

Maybe just maybe the initial idea of some sort of rice pledging scheme was a good one.. however the original forecast price & what is now the actual cost

is about as far apart as Red & Yellow..

He forgot one crucial factor: While the cat's away the mice will play !!

His minders back home are running amok on some sort of free for all roller coaster ride & have their noses deep in the trough!!

His dear Sister seems to have dropped the reins, and doesn't seem to be able to get her little piggies back into line.

• Like 1

Again - who is running Thailand? And all this press about Thaksin, his decisions, his opinions? Thailand you are the laughing stock of international politics. What (if any other) country would allow it's government to be run by a convicted criminal in exile? Will someone please step up to the plate and throw these corrupt puppets out and instill decent tangible governance?

• Like 2

Again - who is running Thailand? And all this press about Thaksin, his decisions, his opinions? Thailand you are the laughing stock of international politics. What (if any other) country would allow it's government to be run by a convicted criminal in exile? Will someone please step up to the plate and throw these corrupt puppets out and instill decent tangible governance?

Thailand you are the laughing stock of international politics.Yes,Europe is doing a lot better.No problems at all.Only Spain unemployment 26%,Greece even higher.USA:The National Debt has continued to increase an average of

$3.84 billion per day.Yes a shame Thailand with an unemployment rate from only 1.6%

Can I suggest this scheme is just to buy PT loyalty from the farmers? To me its fiscal irresponsibly to garner support from the majority of the population in this way?

Be a good chap and try to keep up with the rest of the class.

Speaking in Singapore, he shrugged off widespread domestic concern that the price guarantee policy would cause long-term damage to farmers, that it was already hurting Thai rice exports, and plagued with corruption.

He is well qualified to comment on corruption!

Thaksin did not dwell on the serious issue of suspected rampant corruption

He can't really can he?

"His claims that the programme, under which the government buys rice from farmers at well above market rates, was reaping economic gains that are about three times the scheme's cost, was vague, if not unproven."

Vague if not unproven? How about an insult to any measurable intelligence. The press here is so pathetic.

• Like 2

He is well qualified to comment on corruption!

Thaksin did not dwell on the serious issue of suspected rampant corruption

He can't really can he?

Well yes he could he is the master. He is the God Father.

Will he? Not in this life time.

This rice pledging scheme was a disaster from the begining, all it will do is drain money out of the economy as corrupt middlemen and politicians stuff thier pockets at the expense of the farmer. How long till the rural poor say enough is enough.

About the same time as the rural poor get a real education.

When hell freezes over then. :(

• Like 1

But only for 500b a day, Thaksin doesn't pay for protest against his failed ideas, I am sorry to say your village will have to wait till next election or riots to be paid of their next golden shower.

Edited by Rimmer
Wierd colour fonts removed, maybe a quote.

The small farmer hardly ever gets the 15,000 baht / tonne. Moisture content of 15% max is difficult to achieve when it comes out of the paddy at 20 - 25%. With no storage / drying facilities, they just sell it out of the field and get 10,000 baht. The middle man dries it and reaps the benefit. Great scheme!

Everyone knows the ol' saying of "Don't Mess with the Rice Bowl." Well, the PTP's messing with the rice bowl, making it an intoxicating meal for rice farmers and millers, may end up breaking the rice bowl. It's already showed up in greatly reduced Thai rice exports and it appears opposition is growing daily as the general population is figuring out the scheme hurts the nation as a whole especially in tax payer costs.

I see commentators here throwing in the corruption card (this is a problem in its' own, dealt with in a different card game), playing with the numbers that suit your opinions, and a lot of other unsubstantiated information. How many times do I need to hear "Thailand is the laughing stock of the whole world". You have one of the strongest economies in the world that has a growth rate greater than most. That comment is the height of stupidity spat out by the idiots with the biggest egos. I love this country because most people do not have big egos here. I find it extremely dissapointing to see you dorks spreading your poison.

Here are a couple of facts: Yingluck and her brother have had considerably more success in business than any of us so if I was going to trust the business acumen of anyone it certainly would be none of you.

I am happy the farmers are getting enough money for their products. You whinners probably are eating better than most people on this planet.

"Don't speak with your mouth full!"

I see commentators here throwing in the corruption card (this is a problem in its' own, dealt with in a different card game), playing with the numbers that suit your opinions, and a lot of other unsubstantiated information. How many times do I need to hear "Thailand is the laughing stock of the whole world". You have one of the strongest economies in the world that has a growth rate greater than most. That comment is the height of stupidity spat out by the idiots with the biggest egos. I love this country because most people do not have big egos here. I find it extremely dissapointing to see you dorks spreading your poison.

Here are a couple of facts: Yingluck and her brother have had considerably more success in business than any of us so if I was going to trust the business acumen of anyone it certainly would be none of you.

I am happy the farmers are getting enough money for their products. You whinners probably are eating better than most people on this planet.

Well done. I haven't heard (seen) the word "dork" used since my schooldays. You must be one of these well educated red supporters Jayboy tells us about.

• Like 1

thaksin was not successful because he was smart. he was successful because he had the right connections!

Thailand you are the laughing stock of international politics.Yes,Europe is doing a lot better.No problems at all.Only Spain unemployment 26%,Greece even higher.USA:The National Debt has continued to increase an average of

$3.84 billion per day.Yes a shame Thailand with an unemployment rate from only 1.6%

Thailand doesn’t have a reliable unemployment register the same as western countries my friend.

If you get laid off back home to the farm you go, no signing on the unemployment register, no unemployment payment.

That is the only saving grace Thailand has over western countries, they don’t have to pay the unemployed so can keep gov’t costs down, unlike western countries where it is a major drain on gov’t funds.

• Like 1

And just how do they come up with this number?

Like most other number from this Gov't, they just pick any number and go with it

Then again you can look at most people who are employed, factory workers

making 7-10K a month, office people making 10K, at teh end of the month they

have no money left, no savings no possessions ... nada .. yes they have jobs ..

but they are no better of than slaves working for the man ...

Those with better paying jobs are in debt up to there elbows, they have to borrow

so much money from Gov't and backs to pay for educations ... now they will spend

their working lives paying it back, so they too have nada ... great system ...

1.6 unemployment sure .... but all the money and savings still belongs to the

1.6& rich hiso ...

You should learn about "the World's Greatest Businessman" who had a string of failures before securing "free" a monopoly on mobile phone communications in Thailand which allowed him to steal billions of dollars from the Thai people by rampant overcharging.

As for Yingluk, she has only ever worked in the family business, and I see nothing in the way of success in either her current or previous attempts.

• Like 1

Faranguy, remember this quote you made in reference to Thaksin and his puppets concerning Myanmar and business opportunities ?

Ferengi rule of acquisition number 261 "A wealthy man can afford anything except a conscience"

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

blink.png Are you for real?
  • Like 1