Foreigner Shot Dead In Saraburi

coma

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just signed up to thaiVisa, Oswald was a kind and generous fellow, things are beign followed up by his friends here. In the meantime perhaps it is best if we focus on RIP for him and his family instead of ametuer sleuthing and off topic discussions of tourist deaths in thailand.

There is a man and family behind this story and he will be greatly missed.

Yes Sir.

Once again you are comparing mainly visitors in Thailand, (you quoted 1 million) to full time residents in the UK. Most of these people are here for less than a month so multiply your 4.25 by 10 (to make it easy) to compensate for a full year of exposure; and you see the number is 4 times as high in Thailand then the odds of Brits being murdered in their own country.

Yes, perhaps -- but as another poster pointed out, many of the "visitors" are actual full-time residents.

In any case, Thailand doesn't appear to be any more dangerous for farangs as it is for Thais.

I would tend to agree with you. Murder rates for the whole of Thailand are very high. It's dangerous for Thai's and for foreigners and is relatively high in comparison for a country that markets itself as a family tourist destination. I think the issue sadly is that murder isn't a rare occurence here for what appear to be minor issues. If this was over custody of a child, why would one assume that the chances of getting caught up in such a horrendous story would be likely?

There was a story yesterday in Chiangmai of a thai who killed his wife with a shovel. Hardly an every day story is it.

All in all, very very sad.

Agreed. Very sad.

The saddest part is that Thailand's homicide rates can't even really be considered "high" by world standards.

They are pretty much median, between a rate of zero for Monaco and Palau (0.2 for Hong Kong) and 91.6 per 100,000 population for Honduras.

In fact, they are almost exactly median: there are 99 countries with higher homicide rates than Thailand's and and 104 with lower rates.

The world is a dangerous place.

Edited by NewlyMintedThai

I'd have to say that Indonesia felt the safest/calmest and most pleasant.

Possibly not quite the case anymore...

Why do you say that? I was there for quite some time earlier this year as well and it felt the same.

I do read Thai papers..... But is it "farangs" fault again if you tolerate such things in Thailand...

We're talking about a man who was on work assignment here..... Trying to bring a better life to his kid..... and got punished for it..... and apparently a good man.

But Im sure with your high standart its normal...... After all, mai pen rai.....

So, When a "minted Thai" can kill a police officer on Sukhumuvit then Im sure all is acceptable...

Oh and before u ask... Yeah Im off.... tired of dealing with such.......

wai.gif

None of it is "acceptable", whether here or back home (yes, plenty of murders happen there, too).

The kid on Sukhumvit is facing criminal charges, or hadn't you heard (even though that case is not murder)?

There is also a doctor being held without bail on murder charges. So?

What makes you think murder is any more "acceptable" here than back home? Thai jails are full of murderers who have been caught and punished (as will the one in this case).

Wish you right....... Time will tell....

the victim's Facebook page

372756_1062013125_711010444_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/oswald.duvel

why you put these photos up ?

To humanize that Foreigner Shot Dead In Saraburi involved an actual human being.

Similar to the newspaper that, after my post, used the same photo for their article:

Thai police hunt for South African man's killers

News24 ‎

http://ewn.co.za/201...ead-in-Thailand

and as is similarly done in the vast majority of all news stories.

Edited by Buchholz

ok Buch, fair enough

given that you are a poster, not newspaper, I reject the comparison

I thought the posters who knew Oswald "humanized" him and that your post simply showed off you copy paste skills

No big deal though mate, just thought it unnecessary to trawl over facebook and linkedin to add nothing.

no foul no har bucholz

o foul no harm

seriously a lot of you blokes that are posting here really need to have a long hard look at yourselves, The complete insensitivity and lack of empathy displayed by many symbolises a complete disconnect with the real world. I doubt many of you have any tangible real world relationships with family or friends. Oswald was a much loved man and you are tarnishing his reputation. I suggest you set up your own thread somewhere and compare how empty your lives are.

Hey, all of us are sorry about Oswald. I'm sure he was a lovely bloke.

Don't be offended, though, if the discussion moves beyond memorializing and into an examination of violence in Thailand in general. This is, after all, a discussion board.

I am still pissed off at the photo. sad.png

Your lucky. Some of the cricket fraternity & a work colleague had to identify the body.

I just signed up to thaiVisa, Oswald was a kind and generous fellow, things are beign followed up by his friends here. In the meantime perhaps it is best if we focus on RIP for him and his family instead of ametuer sleuthing and off topic discussions of tourist deaths in thailand.

As is the case with most people that are killed or die in such ways.

Has it been 6 years since u got that award.??? I got Hot Lips to update the Home Page on the clubs website with a picture tribute. Feel free to view it at www.siamcc.org

ok Buch, fair enough

I thought the posters who knew Oswald "humanized" him and that your post simply showed off you copy paste skills

No big deal though mate, just thought it unnecessary to trawl over facebook and linkedin to add nothing.

no foul no har bucholz

o foul no harm

If I wasn't interested in humanizing the deceased, I could have "showed off my copy paste skills" with any number of Thai photos of the murder scene that didn't do that. wink.png

You can reject the comparison, I'm just saying the newspaper used the photo after I did.

Anyway, just thought your question a bit odd to ask on news thread, but that's ok. No foul.

Edited by Buchholz

seriously a lot of you blokes that are posting here really need to have a long hard look at yourselves, The complete insensitivity and lack of empathy displayed by many symbolises a complete disconnect with the real world. I doubt many of you have any tangible real world relationships with family or friends. Oswald was a much loved man and you are tarnishing his reputation. I suggest you set up your own thread somewhere and compare how empty your lives are.

Hey, all of us are sorry about Oswald. I'm sure he was a lovely bloke.

Don't be offended, though, if the discussion moves beyond memorializing and into an examination of violence in Thailand in general. This is, after all, a discussion board.

I am still pissed off at the photo. sad.png

Your lucky. Some of the cricket fraternity & a work colleague had to identify the body.

Not pissed off from my point of view, seen a few, pissed off that the guys mum might have seen it. sad.png

I have just heard that his ex wife, mother of his son, and her army boyfriend have been arrested and confessed to the murder.

Thanks to the BIB for speedy work and let's hope that the somewhat erratic judges give them everything they deserve with no parole.

RIP Oswald and I hope the pitches up there aren't too green on top!

• Like 2

ok Buch, fair enough

no foul no har bucholz

o foul no harm

If I wasn't interested in humanizing the deceased, I could have "showed off my copy paste skills" with any number of Thai photos of the murder scene that didn't do that. wink.png

You can reject the comparison, I'm just saying the newspaper used the photo after I did.

Anyway, just thought your question a bit odd to ask on news thread, but that's ok. No foul.

We're good Bucholz - I appreciate your contributions on this site

Forgive me a bit mate, i aint' slept much since Coma's original post on this thread

• Like 1

It's clear to everyone that the photo was inappropriate, it is well and often stated on TV that we should remember that friends and family of the deceased could be reading the thread. It's up to all of us to self censor and in future leave these images out of threads.

This thread has seen several friends and associates of Oswald join TV and put forward their views of the kind of man he was, and pass on their condolences. I say to them that you will find the vast vast majority of TV members are 100% supportive of you at this time, they don't feel the need to enter into idle speculation, and they don't feel the need to make inflammatory remarks and judgements.

Also make yourselves clearly known as being a friend or family member of the deceased and you may find members with local and pertinent knowledge prepared to private message you. Many members read the threads but don't comment, in fact that is the majority situation.

However I must also point out to you that in among some of the rough stuff you are reading you are also reading the truth, there have been several notorious murders in Thailand over the years and to the great frustration of many ex-pats a lot of the perpetrators have been either let off completely or have received pathetic sentences. Lower your expectations, this is not the West, Thai justice moves in mysterious ways, so don't discount all of the cynical posts that you read, many of them are from people who have been on the sharp end of justice, Thai style.

To my fellow members, this is one occasion when it is clear that friends and family of Oswald are reading the thread, please modify your posts to reflect that, and to the friends and family of Oswald my condolences.

• Like 2

Everyone can imagine how something like this effects those who actually know the people concerned. Anyone who's been here for any period of time and reads this and other media has a fair idea about how things often turn out. Hence everyone is often sceptical of just outcomes. In this case even though all of us who knew Oswald are hurting there is a certain sense of relief that at least it seems Ossies family don't have to go through an ongoing horror story that any thai watcher could rattle of a dozen in under 20 seconds. That being said, I think in the future when posts concerning things like expat deaths and given this is an expat forum Queensbury rules should apply. Of course at some point the victims family and friends are going to find their way here. As someone said pages ago, imagine if it was your kith and kin. As has been noted this site helped immensely in identifying Oswald. The next time, we know it will happen, something similar happens lets try to be helpful and supportive during peoples worst moments and not degenerate things. Come on there are so many other links here to get your rocks off on! I mean NASA using a weather thingy to spy on the Kingdom is comedy gold! Not even Mel Brooks could come up with such a thing. Cheers.

• Like 1

can someone please sumarise what is going on with this poor mans murder, it is simply rediculous the amount of off topic unrelated posts from the garbage of this forum who refuse to move somewhere else to discuss their keyboard hypercrap unrelated nonesense somewhere else

thx in advance

can someone please sumarise what is going on with this poor mans murder, it is simply rediculous the amount of off topic unrelated posts from the garbage of this forum who refuse to move somewhere else to discuss their keyboard hypercrap unrelated nonesense somewhere else

thx in advance

It appears that his ex-wife and new Thai army boyfriend have been arrested and confessed to the murder, look back to post 327 and you will see the info coming through from a friend of the victim, Oswald.

Edited by theblether

yes thx and sorry for missing the recent posts, very tragic and depressing

I hope they both hang but unlikely as Thai justice system stops and can often just disolve to nothing, the courts should be public, cases should be public not hidden away, my one biggest critisism of Thailand - public accountability

RIP