Best Motorbike For A Sidecar (Saleng)

kaizoku

I'm looking to buy a second hand motorbike and to add a sidecar.

What motorbike would you advice to do so ?

I'm thinking about a 125cc manual model do you think this is good ?

Talking about sidecar, have you ever seen (easily) removable sidecar ?

I want to use the side just for my dog but I would like also to use only the motorbike so it will save me the expence for a second motorbike for the moment, and will give me the time to find a good second hand phantom.

Hello DerekAbroad,

Yes I'll try to explain what I want to the man who will build it, but this is difficult as I just start to learn Thai and it's hard to find someone speaking english. Also I don't have a Thaï wife to help.

I'll buy a prefabricated piece, the guy asked me 6500 baht for a simple model with light and 10000 for the one with the roof.

Thank for advice about the motorbike I was also thinking about the Honda Waves.

At the honda shop next door, I found second hand Honda Waves 110 32500bath with more than 10000km I don't understand this price as this is almost the price of a new one ...

Ever noticed how side cars hog the road like a car (at very low speed), and yet ride them like a motorcycle. like when all the bikes go up the inside some retard in a side car is also trying to squeeze through without a hope in hell? He is stuck there still wondering why he won't fit with a trail of stuck motorbikes behind him. They are the worst of both worlds.

Any bike is ok for sidecar, you will make bad biz if you are hell bent on a particular model.

The sidecar connect on 3 places and it takes around 10 minute to do it if you are alone,

it would help if you can find screw with wings, so you dont need tool.

Conveniently you dont need helmet when driving with sidecar.

BE ADVICED that it is difficult to brake with a sidecar, drive slowly !!!!!!!

Edited by poanoi

The Honda Dream is better as the Wave! It's a Mule by construction, the wave isn't!

Removable sidecar, so the thing with the lights is not no. 1. priority, right?

Don't think, any 'guy' will be able, to figure out a relay based auto indicator switch.

And two 'left' is not a good thing. this looks more like hazard flasher. No blinker/brake light/light on the side car is stupid (imho)!

Try to go for LED lights on the sidecar. The generator isn't that strong, anyway.

I found second hand Honda Waves 110 32500bath with more than 10000km I don't understand this price as this is almost the price of a new one ...

Amazing Thai prices

bad down payment conditions, still has to pay 30k to the lender!

saw a Yamaha Mio auto with a sidecar and 3 people in the other day...the bike slowed to a crawl to negotiate a speed bump but couldnt get over it and the bike spun around 90 degrees....one of the passengers had to get out and assist the bike over the hump..manual gears are the ticket when pulling a sidecar

saw a Yamaha Mio auto with a sidecar and 3 people in the other day...the bike slowed to a crawl to negotiate a speed bump but couldnt get over it and the bike spun around 90 degrees....one of the passengers had to get out and assist the bike over the hump..manual gears are the ticket when pulling a sidecar

That's the sort of mentality your dealing with. Buy a bl00dy automatic and expect it to do the job a manual can bearly do!

I have the feeling that the best for a sidecar will be a manual motorbike (probably with clutch as I don't feel confortable on the model without clutch but maybe this is just a question of time). In the end it all depends on how you are comfortable with the manual and the clutch.

But we all agree that sidecar are good at nothing except caring stuff and even in this area they are less efficient than a car but this is not the topic.

I'm now seriously thinking about buying a honda phantom and set up a sidecar on it. I will take a particular care that it is quickly and easily. removable. I'll use the phantom everyday, and put the sidecar on only when I want to make big shoping or to out with the dog.

That's the sort of mentality your dealing with. Buy a bl00dy automatic and expect it to do the job a manual can bearly do!

actually it was a farang driving it LOL

I have the feeling that the best for a sidecar will be a manual motorbike (probably with clutch as I don't feel confortable on the model without clutch but maybe this is just a question of time). In the end it all depends on how you are comfortable with the manual and the clutch.

But we all agree that sidecar are good at nothing except caring stuff and even in this area they are less efficient than a car but this is not the topic.

I'm now seriously thinking about buying a honda phantom and set up a sidecar on it. I will take a particular care that it is quickly and easily. removable. I'll use the phantom everyday, and put the sidecar on only when I want to make big shoping or to out with the dog.

If I was you I would stick with your initial plan and buy a Wave/Dream only for the sidecar, and then have a Phantom as solo bike. I think you will be fed up with the bolt on/off sidecar option.

I used to have a Tiger Retro with sidecar and never took the sidecar off.

As far as the lights go they are needed to make the vehicle semi acceptible to drive. Police now require them and turn a blind eye to them regarding modified vehicle if they have lights.

Any person who makes them knows how to wqire the lights.

Dreams have more low torque power than Waves so are prefered.

Mine is removeable with 3 bolts and a connector for the lights.

Another option is a tow behind trailer as in the pix. Unhitch and hitch up in seconds. Make a stake side extension on top to secure the dog and have storage underneath. Of course, if your having a conversation with the dog you will have to talk a bit louder!

post-63954-0-88111400-1349957918_thumb.j

Edited by BSJ
  • Like 1

As far as the lights go they are needed to make the vehicle semi acceptible to drive. Police now require them and turn a blind eye to them regarding modified vehicle if they have lights.

Indicators on the sidecar?

And the side of the indicator on the motorcycle is switched of, or double indicating with the lights on the sidecar?giggle.gif

And the side of the indicator on the motorcycle is switched of, or double indicating with the lights on the sidecar?giggle.gif

Headlight both bike and sidecar...............light on left side of sidecar

Tailight both bike and left side of sidecar.

RIght indicator bike

Left indicator sidecar.

Headlight both bike and sidecar...............light on left side of sidecar

Tailight both bike and left side of sidecar.

RIght indicator bike

Left indicator sidecar.

Ok, mostly it's anyway a black 'hole', the sidecar, in the night! So any light is better as non!

Solution for this, looking for the left indicator???

"Mine is removable with 3 bolts and a connector for the lights."

Lamps changing needed?

It's not so difficult, easy done with a switch relay, but I always see either indicators only at the bike, no lamps in the motorcycle side of the sidecar, or double blinking, if removable!

Mostly it's a black 'hole' in the night, till now. so any light is much appreciated!whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

Another option is a tow behind trailer as in the pix. Unhitch and hitch up in seconds. Make a stake side extension on top to secure the dog and have storage underneath. Of course, if your having a conversation with the dog you will have to talk a bit louder!

Hello BSJ, where did you find this and how much it cost ? Also I don't really understand on the picture how do you tie it up to the motorbike.

Now considering the price of a second hand wave/dream (20/25k) + the sidecar (6.5k - 10k /w roof) this is more or less 26.5 to 35k

If to take the 35k option for 15k more you can get a new retro 110 + side that is an approved sidecar this is little bit more expensive but this is an option.

retroxsidecar.jpg

Hello BSJ, where did you find this and how much it cost ? Also I don't really understand on the picture how do you tie it up to the motorbike.

Now considering the price of a second hand wave/dream (20/25k) + the sidecar (6.5k - 10k /w roof) this is more or less 26.5 to 35k

If to take the 35k option for 15k more you can get a new retro 110 + side that is an approved sidecar this is little bit more expensive but this is an option.

looks cute! And would be legal,nice!

For the roof thing, and instead of towing a trailer behind, I would like this, better:

4318d1253096648-motorcycle-tow-bar-trailer-vfrcamping.jpg

Edited by noob7

Thank you guzzi for the information. I was not aware about it but it doesn't change anything, you can see so many of them on the road and I just need it for short trip.

Ask your local police first.

They are illegal but accepted because people have them for supporting their families.

If you build it without asking first, it could be a source for tea money.

I had the same Tiger/W side car and even in same color. Yes its road legal, the sidecar is in the green book, but I had a lot of problems with it. 1st, the brakes was crap (I think the brakes are slightly bigger now but are not sure). 2nd, conically electric problems, this not working and then this. In the end I was so feed up with it that we sold it.

If you live on the country side the brake problem is not a big issue, but we were driving around Pattaya on it and you really had to "read" the traffic in front of you so you can start braking, or boom. If I was riding alone the brakes was okay'ish as I could lock up the rear wheel and stop fairly quickly, but with my wife in the sidecar, a nightmare. Front brake useless.

That been said, I never owned a bike that got so much attention as the Tiger/w sidecar, everywhere we went people was commenting on it, both Thais and foreigners.

I had the same Tiger/W side car and even in same color. Yes its road legal, the sidecar is in the green book, but I had a lot of problems with it. 1st, the brakes was crap (I think the brakes are slightly bigger now but are not sure). 2nd, conically electric problems, this not working and then this. In the end I was so feed up with it that we sold it.

If you live on the country side the brake problem is not a big issue, but we were driving around Pattaya on it and you really had to "read" the traffic in front of you so you can start braking, or boom. If I was riding alone the brakes was okay'ish as I could lock up the rear wheel and stop fairly quickly, but with my wife in the sidecar, a nightmare. Front brake useless.

That been said, I never owned a bike that got so much attention as the Tiger/w sidecar, everywhere we went people was commenting on it, both Thais and foreigners.

Is Tiger selling the sidecar alone?

Should be possible,to attach it to a Honda Dream 125.

And with the brakes, I think, Honda brakes would work, to!

Anyway, the side car has brakes! Most 'home made' haven't!

You will have to contact Tiger and ask them. Mine was bought as a whole.

Yes it should be quite easy to mount the sidecar to a Dream.

I've read on this forum that the sidecar is legal only is it's sell with the retro. You cant put the sidecar on another motorbike. When I'll have time I'll try to find the post.

I've read on this forum that the sidecar is legal only is it's sell with the retro. You cant put the sidecar on another motorbike. When I'll have time I'll try to find the post.

Don't worry, I'm not going to drive with a sidecar. The advantage of sneaking past the lined up cars would go with it. If I don't wanna be quick, I take my car! giggle.gif

Probably you're right, with 'only if sold with it' legal thing. They don't like to change registrations, here.

That's why almost all sidecars at dreams are totally illegal.

But because I know, that they do change sometimes registrations, minimum for cars, it would be needed, to find out.

And showing the Tiger 'original', as reference, could make things go smooth the way, it should be.