Really, Why Did You Come To Live In Thailand ?

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another topic disscussed here houndreds of times ! post-114464-13495304118169_thumb.jpg

so you have read these posts hundreds of times ,yet only made 41 posts on these boards ,dont contribute much to the forum do you ?

Well, i do read, learn and listen more then talking, after all, silence is gold isn't it ? ;-)

BTW, living here since 2002, so if you have any kinda disscussion to open i'm all ears d-_-b

The chips were down and then the chips were up . I don't get to Thailand much at these days , 'mon the snakes !

Wire, not snakes

Taking a longer view , I hope to see in the rabbits .

We'll have less of that antipodean talk on this forum, thank you very much, for this weekend at least

I was more or less forced into an earlier than planned retirement and staying in the USA didn't seem viable. I had been traveling to Thailand for several years and of course as a tourist I had lots of fun in the expected and usual ways. Looking deeply into visas all over, Thailand was one of the few countries on the planet that I could swing long stay visa-wise, I knew it and liked it, so the decision was super easy. I would have strongly considered a number of other countries if they had bank account retirement visa methods similar Thailand. I did consider the Philippines but I just don't find that joint fun and the food is a problem. Living here is nothing like being on holiday here in my experience. Different. Not saying bad.

Edited by Jingthing

Made some mistakes, difficult when self employed, broken long term marriage, too many rules, too many taxes, never left in peace by the Ex or Tax Office, every week forms to fill in for something or other. The rising cost of everything. The area I was in started to feel more Polish than British. Felt the need to break free and escape, had been here a few times on holiday, liked the different approach and attitude of Thai women, the quiet "live and let live" attitude and relaxed way of life without authorities of some description breathing down your neck looking for an opportunity to extract more cash or watching you on camera everywhere you go.So, when my Mother passed and I had no ties, couldnt see a reason stopping me anymore, so I left.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

I rather die than freeze any more

I don't know what part of the country you come from, but I found the weather in England to be generally pleasantly mild, so long as your windows and doors were properly sealed and double-glazed, and you wore a good woolen coat when going out in winter,

You can't all have lived in Stornaway, surely?

SC

The lazy north easterlies in winter in Yorkshire. I hated the winter weather. When I could I came here for a month every Feb.

I couldn't get my wife a visa, I'd taken redundancy at 48. Rather have mozzies than wet snow, and I was sick of seeing Blair and Bush on the news every time I turned the TV on. Last trip home the year after the London bomb, the atmosphere in my home town, Dewsbury was terrible. There's nothing worth going back for.

• Like 2

Came here for a company, liked the place, decided to stay after job was done(3years). Quickly found though not as inexpensive as it is portrayed to be unless you want to live like a peasant. Also found you cannot find a job very easily as an expat. All seems so easy on the surface then reality sets in. smile.png . The visa junk makes you feel like a prisoner in a way but is manageable

However the weather is great, the food is excellent, the people nice. Doubt I can live here full time.

• Like 1

Can I ask, honestly please, a couple of chaps from UK gave said they moved to Thai as fed up etc etc with UK.

I'd love to do it, got a Thai wife and child and work in UK. Just 40 and mortgage free, not a mansion but all paid, no other debts.

What work is available as I can never find anything for expats?

Cheers

There is nothing available from within that will provide you a comparable quality of life (car, international holidays, etc.)

I was a software engineer before coming here (still am). I have been able to work successfully remotely on a freelance basis.

I also have a friend who is a video editor. He does very well.

I think the key here is to find something you can do on a freelance basis and earn your money from the U.S./U.K.