Nukes Must Be Part Of Thailand's Energy Policy

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has nuclear power been a low cost option? Surely the building, running, maintaining and de-commissioning cost must run into the billions or trillions of baht over the lifetime of the plant.

Wonder how many solar panels can be bought for a similar price. probably enough to cover the entire country several times over

This is Thailand. Do you think they would have looked that far ahead to even contemplate the de-commissioning ?

• Like 1

The day they install a nuclear reactor in Thailand is the day I say farewell to this fine land and move as far away from it as possible. If they can't build a runway and airport correctly due to back handers and fingers in the pie, I don't feel they could be trusted to harness nuclear energy safely.

OK...good bye then...as there is already one in Bangkok..do send a post card..whistling.gif

http://www.tint.or.th/en/

Since when has nuclear power been a low cost option? Surely the building, running, maintaining and de-commissioning cost must run into the billions or trillions of baht over the lifetime of the plant.

Wonder how many solar panels can be bought for a similar price. probably enough to cover the entire country several times over

It aint a cheap option

What's the output of that reactor compared to any reactor in an industrialized country? I believe I remember reading that Thailand's nuclear reactor is more an about-face than a practical solution (Thailand's nuclear reactor is relatively expensive to operate but generates a tiny, tiny percentage of the country's electricity).

Its not a power reactor, Thailand doesnt generate power commerically via nuclear power...but none the less its still a nuclear reactor

Thailand with nuclear energy would be like Homer Simpson running a nuke plant, hell they can't even lay a decent pavement or install safe electrical systems.

They are already running a nuclear reactor..rolleyes.gif and manage to run chemical plants, oil refineries, car manufacturing plants, natural gas etc without too many problems,,,but I understand what your saying Thai's are only good for picking rice in the paddies...whistling.gif

mmmmmm..... Over the past few years there have been numerous examples in Thailand of accidents and disasters with industrial plants. various explosions in chemical plants, flooding of factories (imagine what would happen if nuke plants get flooded like in Japan). The idea and/or reality of nuke plants in Thailand scares the shit out of me.

• Like 1

Thailand with nuclear energy would be like Homer Simpson running a nuke plant, hell they can't even lay a decent pavement or install safe electrical systems.

They are already running a nuclear reactor..rolleyes.gif and manage to run chemical plants, oil refineries, car manufacturing plants, natural gas etc without too many problems,,,but I understand what your saying Thai's are only good for picking rice in the paddies...whistling.gif

mmmmmm..... Over the past few years there have been numerous examples in Thailand of accidents and disasters with industrial plants. various explosions in chemical plants,

like which for example ?

Oh come down from your high horse Soutpeel

rolleyes.gif . I think what SMS is implying is that there is no room for error regarding running nuclear plants. You have to be extremely disciplined which lets face it the Thais are not!

just Google the words ' Accidents at chemical plants in Thailand ' and the same with oil refineries and you will see quite an extensive list of accidents in these kinds of facilities in the past

here is commentary regarding a gas pipeline at Rojana Industrial Park in Uthai district in Ayutthaya leaked in August, prompting the evacuation of people in the vicinity.

• Like 1

Oh come down from your high horse Soutpeel

rolleyes.gif . I think what SMS is implying is that there is no room for error regarding running nuclear plants. You have to be extremely disciplined which lets face it the Thais are not!

just Google the words ' Accidents at chemical plants in Thailand ' and the same with oil refineries and you will see quite an extensive list of accidents in these kinds of facilities in the past

here is commentary regarding a gas pipeline at Rojana Industrial Park in Uthai district in Ayutthaya leaked in August, prompting the evacuation of people in the vicinity.

OK..I take your point...but go and google the same the thing...like Accidents at Chemical plants in the UK or US or any other 1st world country and think you will find Thailand is no better or worse in this regard, based on the logic shown in some of the comment, as regards accidents then one can only conclude the same posters have petioned their own countries to shut down all nuclear PS and chemical plants in the their own countries then ?..

.ie massive oil leak in the gulf of Mexico not so long ago so the US goverment must shut down all the refineries, chemical plants and nuclears then ?

An airplane falls out the sky and kills 300+ people so lets ban all air travel then ?

Edited by Soutpeel

The title, "Nukes Must Be Part of Thailand's Energy Policy" is a bit misleading. I have only heard of "nukes" being used when it referenced nuclear weapons and not nuclear energy. However, I'm sure the Thai authorities studying nuclear energy are aware of this even if the Thai reporters are not.

The day they install a nuclear reactor in Thailand is the day I say farewell to this fine land and move as far away from it as possible. If they can't build a runway and airport correctly due to back handers and fingers in the pie, I don't feel they could be trusted to harness nuclear energy safely.

OK...good bye then...as there is already one in Bangkok..do send a post card..whistling.gif

I think we are not talking about that car battery here. Quite a difference between a 2 megawatt reactor and something that will provide power for all of bangkok. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

mmmmmm..... Over the past few years there have been numerous examples in Thailand of accidents and disasters with industrial plants. various explosions in chemical plants, flooding of factories (imagine what would happen if nuke plants get flooded like in Japan). The idea and/or reality of nuke plants in Thailand scares the shit out of me.

Agreed.

When even low tech trains derail on a regular basis, how can a local nuclear project strictly abide to the minimum safety requirements? I keep riding the trains (see avatar) since consequences of failures are acceptable - most of the time.

But a nuclear plant is definitely something else and doesn't combine AT ALL with rampant corruption, lack of accountability, cover-up culture and in-existing enforcement of rules of any kind.

The simple existence of a mock-up model that no bad news have leaked from so far doesn't convince me much.

Please no. Doesn't fit here.

This article is unbelievably stupid.

1. Nuclear energy to be studied - then

2. Tax rebate and first car buyers - then

3. Flood last year - then

4. Global warming - then

5. The haze in CM - then

6. The lost coast line - then

7. Development outstripping the eco system.

Phew. Glad Khun Panyawai, the journalist - has his thoughts all sorted - now what was the article about? blink.png

So how will things ever get solved???????

I wonder the same......

How about we do not have a plan.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I think we are not talking about that car battery here. Quite a difference between a 2 megawatt reactor and something that will provide power for all of bangkok. thumbsup.gif

Are we really ?....A nuclear reactor is a nuclear reactor ?...go back and read what you wrote starting with "The day they install a nuclear reactor in Thailand

So in your vast nuclear experience please give us the key differences between a 2MW reactor and say a 900MW PWR...only real difference is the size...A 2MW nuclear reactor is not very different from a 900MW both contain fuel and the hazards of operation are virtually the same.

.whistling.gif

So have you booked your tickets out the country yet ?

I suppose I could give some comfort to the vast majority if TV's finest....by the time they get round to building these commerical plant most of you will be long gone and eating somtam in the sky..whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

When you go into this type of industry you need plenty of nuclear savvy people, you can talk to the cows come home, but you need lots of very highly educated personal , even the issue of safety takes on a new meaning , the whole article sorta reminded me of a wish list.

Are we really ?....A nuclear reactor is a nuclear reactor ?...go back and read what you wrote starting with "The day they install a nuclear reactor in Thailand

So in your vast nuclear experience please give us the key differences between a 2MW reactor and say a 900MW PWR...only real difference is the size...A 2MW nuclear reactor is not very different from a 900MW both contain fuel and the hazards of operation are virtually the same.

.whistling.gif

I suppose I could give some comfort to the vast majority if TV's finest....by the time they get round to building these commerical plant most of you will be long gone and eating somtam in the sky..whistling.gif

And considering where it is placed (right in the middle of Bangkok) - should there be any kind of significant accident, i would imagine a whole lot of people are gunna be affected - quite badly

• Like 1

mmmmmm..... Over the past few years there have been numerous examples in Thailand of accidents and disasters with industrial plants. various explosions in chemical plants,

like which for example ?

OMG - just do a Google search for 'factory blaze in Thailand' and 'industrial explosions in Thailand' - also what about all the factories under water last year when they could have foreseen it all. Get back to me in a couple of weeks when you have done proper research.

Well the prices are 50 euro cents a watt from 3 euro a few years ago. There is no better financial investment than a solar farm in Thailand at the moment. roi is as good as ever, particularly with lpg prices rising.

But why they aren't integrating more into new builds and selling excess back to the grid i don't know.

50snt/Wp? Where I can bye and what type of panels are that cheap?

Refreshiing to see at least some sort of sensible argument against nuclear that goes beyond 'the locals are too stupid to build and maintain one'.

Your points are valid, and they'll obviously be well considered by NEPO and the MOE, who, probably to the shock of most of the people who have responded to this thread, do indeed know a thing or two about energy policy and would wipe the floor intellectually with most here.

As much as i am not a greenie, with solar costs at an all time and land not exactly costly in Thailand, the should be investing massively in solar first.

Thailand doesn't need energy for residential heating at all, so in a country like this solar is of enormous benefit. As far as i know though they don't have a way for households to sell excess power they produce back to the grid.

Thousands of moobhans being built and i haven't yet seen over with solar integrated. Why is this?

There is a solar farm near "pattaya 2" the big lake near ubon.

Would like too see more of this in the world.

And in my village there is solar panels for sale. one panel the size of half a door was 6500bath.will run a fane all day and night or aircon.maybe.

So there is some movement towards it.smile.png

Nuclear is cheaper than wind, natural gas, coal and solar, even when you throw in the decommissioning of the nuke plant.

Only hydro power is cheaper.

The cost of solar power is astronomical and by far the most expensive option.

Edited by pauljones

Well the prices are 50 euro cents a watt from 3 euro a few years ago. There is no better financial investment than a solar farm in Thailand at the moment. roi is as good as ever, particularly with lpg prices rising.

But why they aren't integrating more into new builds and selling excess back to the grid i don't know.

Suntech would be a start.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/18/us-solar-tariffs-idUSBRE86H1I320120718

That's production cost. A friend just did a "direct" import deal in Europe and saved himself over 60% of the quoted price from installers in Europe.

As much as i am not a greenie, with solar costs at an all time and land not exactly costly in Thailand, the should be investing massively in solar first.

Thailand doesn't need energy for residential heating at all, so in a country like this solar is of enormous benefit. As far as i know though they don't have a way for households to sell excess power they produce back to the grid.

Thousands of moobhans being built and i haven't yet seen over with solar integrated. Why is this?

There is a solar farm near "pattaya 2" the big lake near ubon.

Would like too see more of this in the world.

And in my village there is solar panels for sale. one panel the size of half a door was 6500bath.will run a fane all day and night or aircon.maybe.

So there is some movement towards it.smile.png

There are solar farms popping up all over because the subsidy being offered by the Thai government is too high at the moment as the prices for the panels have plummeted in the last year or so. What I don't get, is thousands of new houses going up day by day, which are largely empty, which could be selling power back to the grid in the day and consuming in the night. It isn't a one stop panacea though, because there are enormous transmission problems, and of course, you get gluts in the day, and paucity at night, but still, it can provide a huge amount of power in a sunny country like thailand.

Suntech would be a start.

http://www.reuters.c...E86H1I320120718

That's production cost. A friend just did a "direct" import deal in Europe and saved himself over 60% of the quoted price from installers in Europe.

Thanks for this. The lowest prices on the shelf in Thailand I have seen were on Amorn. About 100B/Wp.

nuclear in thailand, wow ... i did not see that one comming...

other countries are banning it, thailand will introduce it...

thailand has plenty of SUN for free

why not invest in a durable CLEAN(er) energy source ?

12 hours per day....

I guess toooooooooo easy

OK, I will take a deep breath and plunge in with an alternate idea. Why not nuclear energy plant? It is relatively cheap in the long term, relatively safe if it is installed with the NEW technology/design and is relatively easy to maintain. It provides new technological opportunities in science and education and promotes the region as a go-ahead nation of can do citizens.

Most of the arguments in here come from an antiquated hippy mentality and don't take consideration of the very real advances which have been made.especially with regards to safety. I say go for it (cautiously and with lots of assistance from the right people)

• Like 1

OK, I will take a deep breath and plunge in with an alternate idea. Why not nuclear energy plant? It is relatively cheap in the long term, relatively safe if it is installed with the NEW technology/design and is relatively easy to maintain. It provides new technological opportunities in science and education and promotes the region as a go-ahead nation of can do citizens.

Most of the arguments in here come from an antiquated hippy mentality and don't take consideration of the very real advances which have been made.especially with regards to safety. I say go for it (cautiously and with lots of assistance from the right people)

To be perfectly frank, they could simply give the management and maintenance contract to GE for 30 years and it should be job done. having 100 expats imported to build and run the thing is hardly beyond the realms of reality is it.

Are special qualifications and licenses required to operate these facilities? In which case where would they find them in Thailand anyway? this way if it goes wrong they can blame the farangs if anything goes wrong.

• Like 2

.whistling.gif

I see... cheesy.gif