What Are The Most Dangerous Animals In Thailand?

Cheesekraft

Alligators, Pit vipers and cobras often get in the Village, mosquito's of course, and some thing the Town Hall catcher guys, say is not good, have had 2 in my garden in 9 years,,,,,,,,,, looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast.

I would love to know more about this 1.4m long thing, never heard of it.

Sounds scary.

Also no idea of name, so call it a fast moving snake with legs, very like this

post-42643-0-56479700-1349956237_thumb.j

Cheers ignis I have never seen one of those before.

Anyone know It's name ?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a couple of pix, both taken in my garden in a Moo Baan near Pattaya. The snake is actually in another garden but I heard my wife scream so I went so investigate and there it was, lol. I knocked the snake on the head with a broom stick and it quickly disappeared. I don't know if it's poisonous or not but the green color looks pretty hmmm.

I don't know about the "wizard" looking animal, it's eating a frog so I can only say: Please help yourself and boon appetite, he-he.

It's not the first time we encountered snakes in our garden, one time the garden people was making a monthly cleaning of the garden and they killed a snake that according to them is poisonous (I was overseas working at the time). It's a bit scary as our 3 year old son is all over the place so we try to keep it all trimmed down and have a dog

On the other hand I must say it's amazing that you can have so much wildlife in such a dense human populated area, the snakes can really hide and you won't see them that often.

post-69360-0-53208800-1349957891_thumb.j

post-69360-0-04478100-1349957928_thumb.j

Alligators, Pit vipers and cobras often get in the Village, mosquito's of course, and some thing the Town Hall catcher guys, say is not good, have had 2 in my garden in 9 years,,,,,,,,,, looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast.

Sounds scary.

Anyone know It's name ?

Elongated skink. Don't know the Latin name. Try google.

Found it Riopa Haroldyoungi, ---------honest.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Looks like a skink to me too. I see those all the time but never anywhere near that big. It must be a different variety than the ones around my house.

Yes cheers that is it smile.png

Or a banded supple skink, every days a school day.

As I said in my post with picture 'like this'

At the time searched the internet and Riopa Haroldyoungi, grows to 30 cm long............ The catchers from the Town Hall always catch all these things and document everything, taking measurements, so not sure it is a Riopa Haroldyoungi, as was over 1 meter longer

Here is a couple of pix, both taken in my garden in a Moo Baan near Pattaya. The snake is actually in another garden but I heard my wife scream so I went so investigate and there it was, lol. I knocked the snake on the head with a broom stick and it quickly disappeared. I don't know if it's poisonous or not but the green color looks pretty hmmm.

I don't know about the "wizard" looking animal, it's eating a frog so I can only say: Please help yourself and boon appetite, he-he.

It's not the first time we encountered snakes in our garden, one time the garden people was making a monthly cleaning of the garden and they killed a snake that according to them is poisonous (I was overseas working at the time). It's a bit scary as our 3 year old son is all over the place so we try to keep it all trimmed down and have a dog

On the other hand I must say it's amazing that you can have so much wildlife in such a dense human populated area, the snakes can really hide and you won't see them that often.

post-69360-0-53208800-1349957891_thumb.j

post-69360-0-04478100-1349957928_thumb.j

that snake isnt deadly. poisonous but you wont die like a cobras poison.

the lizard they call jing go. hes just a skink type lizard that will keep the rodent population down.(and frog) in this case.

I saw a local kill that same kind of green snake with a stick, it was chilling on a wall and he ran up and whacked it, the snake then bit him in the hand drawing blood, and then he killed it with a second blow, washed off his hand with water at the restaurant and left, I assume they would know to go to the hospital if it was poisonous.

That snake is the Golden Tree Snake or flying snake. They are mildly venomous snakes, but their tiny, fixed rear fangs make them harmless to humans (wiki)

A beautiful snake, leave them alone and they will quickly disappear.

I see many in my garden. This is a pic of a baby one looking at me through the window when I was on the PC.

post-18822-0-42130000-1350022312_thumb.j

• Like 1

Anything that bites can be a bit of a bugger, including the missus !!

Ref #21 In the Philippines they sell for up to 3 million pesos as the Chinese buy them,probably for fighting.

Knowing the Chinese their more likely to eat them to keep the old "pecker" up !!

Sounds scary.

Anyone know It's name ?

http://jclao.com/archives/2596

• Like 1

Have animals made humans extinct/ - no

Have you mans made animal species extinct? - yes.

Therefore the answer is humans

It would be the answer if the question was about humans.

We aren't vegetable or mineral that leaves animals does it not?

a farang behind a motorbike is pretty dangerous i reckon.

Or large white druken men with more money than sence

How about people who don't know the difference between a large drunken man and an animal? Like, if I said go to the store and get a chicken they might come back home with an aging sexpat!

Centipedes ! You rarely see them but if you get bitten at night it will become painful. They are quite common in the village. I got bit on the hand by one in Bangkok and had to have a jab and antibiotics. My fault for leaving it for 5 days before going to a doctor, who was next door ! My hand was about 3 times normal size.

it is actually mosquitoes

I was surprised to hear theres more than 1 variety and only 1 variety carries malaria.

Of the worlds 3,200 species of mosquito only the female Anopheles is attributed to imparting malarial infections and "there are some 430 known species of Anopheles, distributed in every corner of the planet except for Polynesia, east of Vanuatu. AT LEAST 70 species are known to carry malaria." (somewhat loosely borrowed from Page 15 (para. 3) of "The Fever" by Sonia Shah.

Edited by Dap

There are a few crocs left in the wild here in Thailand but not that many unless, you live near a commercial croc farm that is suseptible to flooding, and but pretty sure no aligators. Also, I would be very interested to learn more about your local critter that "looks like a snake 1.4 m long but has legs and moves very fast'. Any photo's or pics perchance?

Edit to note the info provided by 27, 31 and 32 but still curious about the size.

Edited by Dap