Aging Chiang Mai Expatriates In Trouble

Mapguy

A substantial part of this sloppy scenario is due to people arriving here, melding, disappearing into the bar scene and cheap digs, into the countryside, wherever ---

Oh yeah, there are hundreds of thousands of people like that who just disappear until they have a problem. Really?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government doesn't pay for anything. The government has no money of its own.

That's right. I agree. I pay for it out of my taxes.

The medical care, called Medicare, I paid for all of my life. I started paying it (and social security) at age 14 when I got a part time job in a bakery. I paid into those accounts for more than 50 years!

It's an income tax withholding looking ahead to age 65. Any US citizen who worked or paid taxes in the US for a long time paid a ton into his retirement accounts and the ROI is actually lousy.

If an expat who worked in the US and retired to Thailand returns, he draws from the account that's attached to his social security number - the one he paid into all of those years.

The medical care is level for everyone, but the social security retirement check amount is directly related to how much he paid in, with a minimum payment. Without looking it up, I believe the minimum is about $800 a month, and the maximum is $2500, so high earners/payers collect more.

It's not welfare.

He paid for it out of every paycheck, or if self employed then in self employment taxes for every day he worked in the US. Even minimum wage people pay it, but obviously they pay, and then collect, a lot less than a high earner.

I collect $379 a month. I qualified because I worked and paid in for 40 quarters in the 50s and 60s and I took a early retirement at 62. I am now 70 and some how have a hard time believing that I put in that much money to SS but I will gladly take it.

The funny part was it was exactly 40 quarters and one of them I only paid in $5.

The government doesn't pay for anything. The government has no money of its own.

The medical care, called Medicare, I paid for all of my life. I started paying it (and social security) at age 14 when I got a part time job in a bakery. I paid into those accounts for more than 50 years!

It's an income tax withholding looking ahead to age 65. Any US citizen who worked or paid taxes in the US for a long time paid a ton into his retirement accounts and the ROI is actually lousy.

If an expat who worked in the US and retired to Thailand returns, he draws from the account that's attached to his social security number - the one he paid into all of those years.

The medical care is level for everyone, but the social security retirement check amount is directly related to how much he paid in, with a minimum payment. Without looking it up, I believe the minimum is about $800 a month, and the maximum is $2500, so high earners/payers collect more.

It's not welfare.

He paid for it out of every paycheck, or if self employed then in self employment taxes for every day he worked in the US. Even minimum wage people pay it, but obviously they pay, and then collect, a lot less than a high earner.

I collect $379 a month. I qualified because I worked and paid in for 40 quarters in the 50s and 60s and I took a early retirement at 62. I am now 70 and some how have a hard time believing that I put in that much money to SS but I will gladly take it.

The funny part was it was exactly 40 quarters and one of them I only paid in $5.

The low end is much lower than $800 a month, I collect $750 a month but am taxed at source at a rate of 25.5%. Also, the SSc system is designed to pay out more to low earners than to high earners, that was the idea of the system in the first place.

It's not welfare.

The low end is much lower than $800 a month, I collect $750 a month but am taxed at source at a rate of 25.5%. Also, the SSc system is designed to pay out more to low earners than to high earners, that was the idea of the system in the first place.

Yep, I get it that I was wrong about the minimum. However, the highest earners pay the most into the system and get the biggest payments. See the link above which makes that clear that one's payments will be calculated that way.

Edit: here is a link to a slightly old "how to calculate" SS withholding in the US.

http://smallbusiness...ding-22433.html

Using the references listed in the article a person could go to the US Social Security web site and probably find the current rates. Probably more accurate than what has been posted here.

Some rates through the years: http://www.socialsec...a/taxRates.html

And for 2012: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/240/~/2012-social-security-tax-rate-and-maximum-taxable-earnings

MSPain

Edited by hml367

Yep, I get it that I was wrong about the minimum. However, the highest earners pay the most into the system and get the biggest payments. See the link above which makes that clear that one's payments will be calculated that way.

Sorry, I should have said the system is designed to pay out more to low earners relative to payments made, sio the low earner gets a higher return on his/her payment/investment than a high earner does.

Another opinion, the OP made mention to the 'aged expats'. I think its the younger blokes who come here with visions of the good, easy life, who the OP should be concerned about. You do not hear of too many of the old timers, getting into scrapes with the locals, BIB nor immigration. To go further, the old timers, may have hooked up with a lady who is not a Thai Chinese, from a important family, with a big income, but they did manage to find a partner or several, in some cases, who did not put them in financial ruin.

Most of us old/aged retirees expats had a plan with backup when we came here, a couple decades or more ago. Somehow it has worked and I know no one in this group making 2 week visa runs.About the least income, I have personal knowledge of, is 800 us/month and those people have been here for 30 years or so.

As I mentioned earlier I pay 25.5% at source on my SSc payments and I have no choice about that and it's not recoverable in any way. In two years time my payments will be further taxed by something called WEP (windfall elimination provision), this a secondary tax that is payable because I have a pension from another country that kicks in at that time, I expect my SSc payments to reduce to 40% of what they would otherwise be but at least they have not turned negative and I don't have to pay the SSc folks! (joke) All the foregoing results from legislation that was enacted after I left the US following fifteen years of paying into the system, it all seems marginally unfair to me but what can be done.

Regarding hospitals chasing unpaid fees, they are private companies " no pay no play" and whilst there might be exceptions, they have had enough cases of unpaid bills which is why they ask for money up front or an insurance card.

Most countries demand that retirees take out a minimum insurance plan, can be purchased from wherever but must be bought. Thailand, will inevitably follow this at some stage, and why shouldn't they? If the Thai government want to offer at a discount rate as being able to buy in bulk, that is something which would make sense.

Enforcement of the financial regulations for retirees will come about, again inevitable, and will without doubt raise the limits. There are millions of rich Asians, Chinese in particular who can easily afford, and would be happy to move to Thailand for multiple reasons. It will happen sooner than you think. So expect the rents to rise over the coming years.

As I have said before the freeze on pension rises will remain, don't expect the British government to change that there is close to zero chance of that happening. Inflation is real, whether here or in UK, my prediction is it will reach 10% in the next 4 years ( hope I am around that long so I can be proved wrong ) but whatever the rate it most certainly will not be negative. Annuities are at record lows, and EU directive, means that they fall even further, QE will further erode and another round of that is coming. forex rates are another concern, but in my view the Baht is probably trading beyond its worth, and as manufacturers see large increase in minimum salaries, cheaper investments in other countries ( Cambodia, Vietnam, Bangladesh and soon to be Myanmar ) this will spell problems for Thailand and I believe rate will improve in 2-3 years.

Not planning for the future is fool-hearty, yet some will still take this path.

Do not expect the British consulate to give or even loan you money for an airfare home, they just will not do that. Sorry that is the way it is.

On the plus side, it is possible to live on a few hundred dollars a month, if you have to , millions of Thais do it every day of their lives, but do not expect to have a beer with the boys and retire to your 50 sq meter air con apartment after. Yes you can struggle by, the question is do you want to?

If you genuinely have enough for the financial requirements for visa, then at least you should have enough to return home to your native soil where you can survive.

If you do not, by the time you reach zero, unless you have friends or family to assist you are in serious problems

If you only have 800 dollars a month to live,l then you need to be spending only 700, not 800 and cadging drinks, that will only end in disaster.

Think about all teh costs, teh initial set up, daily, weekly, monthly and yearly as well as beyond (is that car or MC going to last till the end of your life? )

There is no minimum on Social Security. Some peole can get as low as 200-300 dollars per month to try to survive on.

OK, you're right. I should have looked it up. However, it's convoluted. A wife who never worked can collect an amount that's 1/2 of what her husband collects. When retiring, a spouse can elect to collect his own benefits, or 1/2 of his retired spouses benefit, whichever is greater. If one spouse dies, the other can elect to collect the deceased's benefits if they are higher.

In any event, it isn't welfare.

Speaking of welfare, if someone has no SS benefits or almost none, and is a senior, he has a good chance of collecting welfare. He will always get medicare. Low income SS people can get "food stamps." They can also qualify for housing assistance.

Now, if the guy is a vet, he's even better off. There are benefits available there too including going to a veterans' facility if there's any service related lingering issue including PTSD.

My dad is 95 and a vet of Normandy. I posted some pics in another thread, even of the front page of our paper last Memorial Day where they did a spread on him. He has a purple heart and a bronze star. He could go out to the Veteran's Domiciliary here and they would carry him on out of here. He could live there, eat there, and they have a medical clinic, hospital and nursing home all of which he's eligible for.

He earned that too if he chose to use it.

Is it possible that some troubled guys in LOS are 'Nam vets? Good God, I know a lot of those vets who are troubled. They went through Hell, God love them. Yes, the government collects taxes from me to pay their benefits and I couldn't be happier to pay that. While I hate taxes, that's the one I most willingly pay. If they served, I owe them big time. I don't have to agree with the war and won't discuss that. They served when called, signed a blank check for their lives, went through Hell for their country and now it's payback time. I understand from another thread that VA benefits including health care are good in Thailand. They sure as heck are at the US military bases in Asia.

VA benefits are not good in Thailand. VA benefits are not good at military bases in Asia. If anyone wants information about it go to the VA website. Maybe after a couple of years of paperwork you will have an idea what the VA pays and what it does not. Or go to VFW meetings in Thailand and ask, Pattaya CM and BKK. It is a very complicated issue. Some soldiers were drafted and other enlisted different benefits.

VA benefits are not good in Thailand. VA benefits are not good at military bases in Asia. If anyone wants information about it go to the VA website. Maybe after a couple of years of paperwork you will have an idea what the VA pays and what it does not. Or go to VFW meetings in Thailand and ask, Pattaya CM and BKK. It is a very complicated issue. Some soldiers were drafted and other enlisted different benefits.

Talk to this guy - read the first few posts. What would I know?

http://www.thaivisa....ar#entry5716282

Edited by NeverSure

That is Tricare. It is for people who have served like 20 years and retired with benefits or people who have service connected disabilities. All of those things have to be qualified for. A Vietnam vet who was drafted may be disabled or have service connected disabilities due to agent orange or other things. But they have to be applied for and approved by the VA. Claims sometimes take two years. Nothing is a given.

I got medical care and meds while in the States but I was approved by a complicated formula about my service history. I take a number of medications here but I have not quite figured out how to get them from the VA. Since most medical care and medications are cheap here sometimes it is not worth the hassle to apply to VA. It is possible to do from Thailand but complicated. Best go to VA and not feel confident about what you read on line.

That is Tricare. It is for people who have served like 20 years and retired with benefits or people who have service connected disabilities. All of those things have to be qualified for. A Vietnam vet who was drafted may be disabled or have service connected disabilities due to agent orange or other things. But they have to be applied for and approved by the VA. Claims sometimes take two years. Nothing is a given.

I got medical care and meds while in the States but I was approved by a complicated formula about my service history. I take a number of medications here but I have not quite figured out how to get them from the VA. Since most medical care and medications are cheap here sometimes it is not worth the hassle to apply to VA. It is possible to do from Thailand but complicated. Best go to VA and not feel confident about what you read on line.

First, Thank you for your service, and I mean that. You're my hero.

Well, that was what I was talking about - service related issues including PTSD. Seriously, I would PM that guy who made the claim that he was helping guys get set up to use it in LOS. It couldn't hurt, and he claims to use Tricare, and if it's available I think it would be wonderful.

One of the few things I enjoy paying taxes for is supporting the troops. We owe you big time.

I'm tempted to say something as well , because of the Op's tone (arrogant), I agree with the responses its none of his business and lack of Thai cultural knowledge and lack of connection with the general Thai population his comparison retirees and their qualification in a westerners eyes should be , is for a reason why it is as it is and that makes Thailand so beautiful as it is, even with in some extend I can agree on some points it doesn't fit with living in Thailand , again clearly lack of understanding at the look of life itself in Thai means , Thailand is a Buddhist country , and eventually they let things be and choose NOT to get involved too much how a man is living his life or suffers or dies .

Really , in my opinion this is why things are good how they are , and rules only will change a bit when really necessary , and for that will be other reasons as well than a common Westerner sees things , my advice would be to spend your energy with yourself and don't open your mouth until asked for , simply put as the Thais do it , they are more smart than you might think ( its considered rude to point your finger unasked), let things be and you will be respected much more , even if you are not neccessarily wrong , but it is wrong , in Thailand that is ......and funny part is we are in Thailand ,so leave everyone alone .

Perhaps we could make a thread opposite of the tone of this thread purely on the fact of being Thai and/or understanding Thai (way of living) vs not necessarily wrong but lack of understanding what it is being Thai or Thai way of living , might be the solution to once and for all stop discussing this subject , seriously anyone with me on this ?

• Like 1

First, Thank you for your service, and I mean that. You're my hero.

Well, that was what I was talking about - service related issues including PTSD. Seriously, I would PM that guy who made the claim that he was helping guys get set up to use it in LOS. It couldn't hurt, and he claims to use Tricare, and if it's available I think it would be wonderful.

One of the few things I enjoy paying taxes for is supporting the troops. We owe you big time.

As far as I know you first get qualified by the VA and then if you have a problem pay for it yourself. After that you submit the bills to the VA and they may or may not reimburse you. I was told to let the embassy know within 72 hours of the medical problem (that is if you are VA approved). Although I have no idea what the embassy would do with the information.

I know of one group that on their website are claiming that it`s possible to retire in Thailand on $550 per month. Total rubbish.

Hmmmm, I seem to have retired to Thailand on $300 a month, have a car, m/c, big house, family and babies. Maybe I'm one of those guys with dementia, living in the 'impossible' dream.

And all the Thais families that live around me seem to do OK on less than $200 a month, they must be dreaming too.

hahahahahahahaha lol sure. I have to laugh at this. there is always a joker in the deck.

I know of one group that on their website are claiming that it`s possible to retire in Thailand on $550 per month. Total rubbish.

Hmmmm, I seem to have retired to Thailand on $300 a month, have a car, m/c, big house, family and babies. Maybe I'm one of those guys with dementia, living in the 'impossible' dream.

And all the Thais families that live around me seem to do OK on less than $200 a month, they must be dreaming too.

Have you decided whether you're going to eat or fill up the car with petrol this month Tommo?

Have you decided whether you're going to eat or fill up the car with petrol this month Tommo?

Yeah that's funny. I have a 3 year old child. It costs me minimum 4K THB (US $125.00) a month to feed him - that's of course without water or any Sesto ice cream which he has quite a craving for! I spend about 7,800 THB (US $255.00) a month on gas for the car and motorcycle. (Most working Thai families I know with one car and one m/c who travel across town spend at least that on gas - usually more). So just there I am already about 25% over your budget before I even eat or use a drop of water or pay for water, electricity, insurance and on and on!

Sorry Tomo, most of your posts are good but US $300 (which I assume you mean) might have been possible 20 years ago - for one person.

Edited by elektrified

Yeah that's funny. I have a 3 year old child. It costs me minimum 4K THB (US $125.00) a month to feed him - that's of course without water or any Sesto ice cream which he has quite a craving for! I spend about 7,800 THB (US $255.00) a month on gas for the car and motorcycle. (Most working Thai families I know with one car and one m/c who travel across town spend at least that on gas - usually more). So just there I am already about 25% over your budget before I even eat or use a drop of water or pay for water, electricity, insurance and on and on!

Sorry Tomo, most of your posts are good but US $300 (which I assume you mean) might have been possible 20 years ago - for one person.

But not everyone has a child, nor a car or even a motorbike, so that would completely eliminate all the costs you just mentioned.