Poll: Obama Leading Romney 49% To 46% Ahead Of Second Debate

News_Editor

America was built on having wide ranging viewpoints. Most people don't want people to own assault weapons. Unless you live in Texas...

America is a Republic so what "Most" people want is not the ultimate rule.

By definition, a republic is a representative form of government that is ruled according to a charter, or constitution

The main difference between a republic and a democracy is the charter or constitution that limits power in a republic, often to protect the individual's rights against the desires of the majority.

Exerpts from

What Is the Difference Between a Republic and a Democracy?

I realize that, which is why I was moaning about it. But thanks for the help Professor Wikipedia...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is my liberal representative? Where is my single payer health care plan? Where is my champion of banning assault weapons? etc

Un American ideas.

I am an American - and they are ideas i believe in. So your argument doesn't apply. Or you are trying to discredit my citizenship? lol America was built on having wide ranging viewpoints. Most people don't want people to own assault weapons. Unless you live in Texas...

.NRA’s more than 4 million members—a number that has more than tripled since 1978. By number of guns the State of Texas is #33. Not only un American you are ill informed.

http://www.thedailyb...-most-guns.html

Don't have a problem with gun ownership - only with assault weapon ownership. But of course, those are what I referred to in the post, which is why it wasn't at all clear.....lol

Edited by somtumlion

i think i remember someone saying something about how it would be a good boost for romney to get powell on his side in this thread.

I think that was chuckd and me speculating that Condi Rice would be a good choice at State. Yeah, Powell has gone to the dark side now (no pun intended), and but for the grace of not screwing with Cheney, Rice would also be persona non grata. She was smart to live to fight another day, and would be a good choice at State if Romney is elected.

plus... most importantly, i have money on obama laugh.png

Funny you should mention that....To borrow a phrase from Bogey "my interest in whether Obama stays or goes is purely a sporting one." So do I thumbsup.gif , and I really don't care that much but I dislike Romney for non-relevant reasons probably.

Edited by keemapoot

i think i remember someone saying something about how it would be a good boost for romney to get powell on his side in this thread.

I think that was chuckd and me speculating that Condi Rice would be a good choice at State. Yeah, Powell has gone to the dark side now (no pun intended), and but for the grace of not screwing with Cheney, Rice would also be persona non grata. She was smart to live to fight another day, and would be a good choice at State if Romney is elected.

i just think romney would end up being bush 2.0 on steroids tbh.

i'm no huge fan of obama either, i was..... he left a lot of people disappointed and went back on a few serious promises... the closing of guantanamo being one that stands out in my mind - as a non-american... that was the kind of rhetoric that got the younger people more interested in voting in 2008 imho, and captured the imagination of the rest of the world tbf.

btw, as a non-american i still condsider this election as important to me, as america dictates a lot of geopolitical activity that affects pretty much everyone.

Looks like a good bet at this point.

I realize that, which is why I was moaning about it. But thanks for the help Professor Wikipedia...

Just trying to help.

I know you think you realize but your words say you do not.

Same as your mention of not having a problem with gun ownership just assault weapons ownership.

You have shown your a product of media but not reality.

Edited by mania

Just trying to help.

I know you think you realize but the your words say you do not.

Same as your mention of not having a problem with gun ownership just assault weapons ownership.

You have shown your a product of media but not reality.

Im glad you can tell all that by 3 posts in a web forum. You should have your own TV show lol

i just think romney would end up being bush 2.0 on steroids tbh.

i'm no huge fan of obama either, i was..... he left a lot of people disappointed and went back on a few serious promises... the closing of guantanamo being one that stands out in my mind - as a non-american... that was the kind of rhetoric that got the younger people more interested in voting in 2008 imho, and captured the imagination of the rest of the world tbf.

btw, as a non-american i still condsider this election as important to me, as america dictates a lot of geopolitical activity that affects pretty much everyone.

Looks like a good bet at this point.

Gallup: Obama's Job Approval Drops 7 Points in 3 Days

http://cnsnews.com/n...7-points-3-days

The Register endorsement: Mitt Romney offers a fresh economic vision

Edited by chiangmaikelly

to quote bobby d, 'the answer is blowin in the wind'... up near ohio.

...then why has the % point spread between the two candidates numbers jumped 15% (in Obama's favor) in those same 3 days? Maybe it's all those single women we're hearing about (who were purportedly in Romney's tally) have realized that Romney reminds them of their ex-husbands: "he will tell her everything she wants to hear, but he'll go ahead and do what he really wants to do."

to quote bobby d, 'the answer is blowin in the wind'... up near ohio.

...then why has the % point spread between the two candidates numbers jumped 15% (in Obama's favor) in those same 3 days? Maybe it's all those single women we're hearing about (who were purportedly in Romney's tally) have realized that Romney reminds them of their ex-husbands: "he will tell her everything she wants to hear, but he'll go ahead and do what he really wants to do."

What we get from the media - of all slants right now - is the "Fringe" info. The noise, and not the signal. They are battling for ratings, and they report everything they think will pull a bigger market share. We'll see clearly in a week or so.

Where is my liberal representative? Where is my single payer health care plan? Where is my champion of banning assault weapons? etc

Un American ideas.

I am an American - and they are ideas i believe in. So your argument doesn't apply. Or you are trying to discredit my citizenship? lol America was built on having wide ranging viewpoints. Most people don't want people to own assault weapons. Unless you live in Texas...

Don't ask us where all the liberal gifts are.

Ask your man, Obama, why he didn't do something about your wish list when he had two years of a super majority in both houses of Congress.

Oh, that's right! Let's blame it on the last two years of his presidency when you can blame one half of one third of the legislative and judicial process for all the Democratic party failures.

• Like 2

Un American ideas.

Ask your man, Obama, why he didn't do something about your wish list when he had two years of a super majority in both houses of Congress.

Oh, that's right! Let's blame it on the last two years of his presidency when you can blame one half of one third of the legislative and judicial process for all the Democratic party failures.

Did you read what you wrote? I tried and ended up with a headache. Also - why would I ask Obama? - the filibuster in the Senate negates any advantage of a perceived "Supermajority". But of course you know that already... In any event. If you read what I actually wrote, its clear than I am not terribly happy with either "side" My views seem unrepresented by anyone except Bernie Sanders from Vermont - one of the true decent folks left in capital hill. (and the only independent lol)

Edited by somtumlion

I think a large portion of the democratic party base is to the left of Obama (including me) but the unfortunate reality of the U.S. political system is that we only get to choose one of two choices for president (that have a chance of winning). In my view Obama is in practice in the white house a slightly left of center moderate. So it's not a difficult choice for those to the left of Obama between Obama and Romney.

On an issue like single payer health care (Canadian style system: full access, government controlled, costs contained), I personally believe Obama supports that in his heart but decided it was politically impossible to win that so he didn't even try, and I think he was probably right about that (sadly).

That said, for those American voters (the majority actually) that vote in states that are sure wins for either Obama or Romney, it is probably a good idea to vote for a third party candidate as a protest vote and to support a candidate closer to what you actually believe. For those in contested states it is a wasted vote to vote third party and may be helping the man you don't really want more to actually win.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting that two issues that seem to be important outside the election got nary a mention in any debate: Gun Control and Climate change.

Obviously hot potatoes that neither party wanted to touch.

• Like 1

Interesting that two issues that seem to be important outside the election got nary a mention in any debate: Gun Control and Climate change.

Obviously hot potatoes that neither party wanted to touch.

Give it about 20 years - they will be talking about climate change then - won't have a choice.

Did you read what you wrote? I tried and ended up with a headache. Also - why would I ask Obama? - the filibuster in the Senate negates any advantage of a perceived "Supermajority". But of course you know that already... In any event. If you read what I actually wrote, its clear than I am not terribly happy with either "side" My views seem unrepresented by anyone except Bernie Sanders from Vermont - one of the true decent folks left in capital hill. (and the only independent lol)

If filibuster effectively stops Senate action, how did the Dodd-Frank bill and Obamacare get passed? There is nothing "perceived": when the 111th Congress consisted of 41 Republicans, 57 Democrats and 2 Independents who caucused with the Democrats.

All it takes is one Olivia Snowe to swing and, viola, we are saddled with trillions more in spending and the government owns the medical industry, along with the fantastically profitable postal service and Amtrak.

If filibuster effectively stops Senate action, how did the Dodd-Frank bill and Obamacare get passed? There is nothing "perceived": when the 111th Congress consisted of 41 Republicans, 57 Democrats and 2 Independents who caucused with the Democrats.

All it takes is one Olivia Snowe to swing and, viola, we are saddled with trillions more in spending and the government owns the medical industry, along with the fantastically profitable postal service and Amtrak.

And when she doesn't swing - we get no single payer health care - which the majority of American's want. We get watered down bills that don't do as much as they could have.

Obama is to blame for Amtrak - really? Because it was his idea right?

Obama to blame for the post office running a deficit? Really? Because he invented email thereby making most paper mail obsolete?

Government owns health care? Really? That is want I WANT - but its not the reality of the situation.

I watched the debate this morning and thought Obama shaded it.

However, watching it again this evening I'm not so sure....I thought Romney came across more 'presidential'.

Obama's attempt at sarcasm and trying to belittle Romney, was plain childish.

If I were American, I'd vote for Romney.

Most Americans already made up their minds well BEFORE the debates. Only a small percentage are swayed by the artificial theater of the debates. I reckon most Americans are actually more serious about all this and wouldn't change a vote based on not enjoying someone's sarcasm. Whichever side wins has real consequences in real life to millions of Americans. For example if you or a loved one desperately needed Obamacare's plan to allow access to health care to Americans with preexisting conditions and you weren't tricked by Romney's shameless deception on this issue, you would almost definitely vote for Obama. The undecideds at this point are really very much out of the norm.

Well, if Obama's packages are so good, why isn't he streets ahead?

Can I ask a question?

If the election were decided purely on peoples actual votes........ who would win?

Look at the colour of his skin.

Really? That's what you think we (the American people) should be worried about? That his speechwriters -- in a speech which was made the day after a specific attack and indisputably about that attack, didn't use "this and any other act" rather than "no act"? With all due respect, I don't feel that sort of silliness is worth my time to discuss.

Yes! By all means, let's get back to Big Bird and Binders of Women!

No, let's get back to lying about gas prices and hiding your tax returns so people don't know just how many tax "loopholes" you've taken advantage of (when you're promising to close them - yeah right).

Gas prices - what both of you guys are missing is that it doesn't matter WHY. Voters see prices are really high now and they see who is in office and that guy gets the blame. The same way that Clinton got to take credit for the booming economy as a result of the coming of the Internet.

Romney has released his tax returns and they shamed Obama/Biden by how much he gave to charity and that's why the Dems have shut up about tax returns.

But I understand where you are coming from, Obama is in BIG TROUBLE and that's why he and his supporters are coming up with all kinds of crazy distraction issues in a last gasp attempt to keep his job. I have a feeling thought that he'll pull it out in the end. This all reminds me too much of the time leading up to the Supreme Court Decision on Obamacare...everything pointed to it being ruled unconstitutional and in the end everyone was surprised, including Obama himself. Today, everything is pointing to a Romney landslide but when there are votes to count and there is a Democrat in the room, anything can happen.

Yes we all know that Democrats are great at rigging polls. Look how President Gore won his first term. Oh hang on a minute......

Un American ideas.

And failing that blame Bush. Should Obama be re-elected I wonder whether Democrats will still be blaming bush for what will then probably be the irreparable collapse of a once great nation come the election after the coming one.

And when she doesn't swing - we get no single payer health care - which the majority of American's want. We get watered down bills that don't do as much as they could have.

Obama is to blame for Amtrak - really? Because it was his idea right?

Obama to blame for the post office running a deficit? Really? Because he invented email thereby making most paper mail obsolete?

Government owns health care? Really? That is want I WANT - but its not the reality of the situation.

Did you read what I wrote? Perhaps your previous headache has dulled your senses.

Please show me where I claimed Obama was responsible for either the Postal service or Amtrak.

In reality, both of us are wrong about Snowe. She voted against Obamacare as did all Republican Senators. When the 111th Senate convened in 2009, there was indeed a mix of 57 Democrats, 2 Independents and 41 Republicans.

The Republicans counted on Norm Coleman (R-MN) on 8 January 2009 when they were sworn in. However, Coleman was in a disputed election with Al Franken (D-MN) for one of the Minnesota seats. The Minnesota Supreme Court finally decided on Franken winning by a total of 312 votes, including the 1099 votes allegedly made by felons for Franken.

Franken was sworn into office on 30 June 2009 where he became the 58th Democratic Senator, dropping the number of Republican Senators to 40.

When the vote on Obamacare was taken on 24 December 2009, 58 Democrats and 2 Independents voted for the bill, changing a "perceived" super majority into a very realistic super majority.

I apologize for my mistake about Sen. Snowe.

Edited by chuckd

Further, very accurately, the panelists point out that the Romney is showing that his new moderate position is very popular, his pivot to the center is what is behind Romney's momentum now in the election. Romney is impersonating a moderate Republican to get elected. biggrin.png

Yes. Romney and his image factory are doing a slick job of packaging him to appeal to as many voters as possible. Most voters, however, know enough about politicians to know that if Romney were to get elected (which he won't) he will revert to his real self - and that's far right of center: massive borrowing, massive spending, outlaw abortion, etc. Ryan is spookier still, if that's possible.

Before he primaries Romney was always a moderate, too moderate for most Republicans. You can deny it all you want but you'd be getting worked up over nothing. The moderate Romney IS the real Romney.

You know my problem? There are no moderate Republicans any more. But when Mitt tries to imitate a moderate - the public loves it. Why doesn't the lunatic center of the Republican party grasp that concept? Most Americans are not far right. They are centrist, middle of the road, want the system to work folks.

Boy, I sure hope you're right. If so, that means most Americans will not vote for the most far left President in our history and instead cast a vote for the moderate Republican challenger. Phew!

You know my problem? There are no moderate Republicans any more. But when Mitt tries to imitate a moderate - the public loves it. Why doesn't the lunatic center of the Republican party grasp that concept? Most Americans are not far right. They are centrist, middle of the road, want the system to work folks.

Boy, I sure hope you're right. If so, that means most Americans will not vote for the most far left President in our history and instead cast a vote for the moderate Republican challenger. Phew!

The most far left president in the history of America....

Put the pipe down and let someone else have a drag.

So let me get this straight, using the example of Romneycare Obamacare.

Obamacare (yes the MANDATE program) was directly inspired by Massachusetts Romneycare.

The inventor of Romneycare: Willard Mitt Romney.

The same Willard Mitt Romney who later said Romneycare should be used as a model for a national health care system.

Barack Hussein Obama followed through with that, nationalizing Romneycare with Obamacare.

Now Romney says he will kill Obamacare on his first day in office.

Now high information voters know that isn't actually possible to do, but they also know a President Romney can deeply attack the implementation of Obamacare even if he can never get the votes to actually abolish it, which he probably can't.

So you folks who think the "real" Romney, the potential President Romney is going to be the Massachusetts moderate who invented Romneycare and actually he is LYING that he intends to attack Obamacare? I personally find that very, very hard to believe.

What I do believe a President Romney would actually do which is ANYTHING but "moderate" -- he will attack Obamacare in every way possible, he will not encourage states to use expanded Medicaid which is a core of Obamacare, he will try to push the idea that health systems are the business of the states, meaning most states won't touch covering everyone, he will continue to promote the sickening concept that everyone has coverage through emergency rooms, he will defend the pre-Obamacare status quo which results in hundreds of thousands of Americans dying prematurely (mostly the poor and minorities) for lack of preventative and early disease care. Sorry, that isn't moderate. So I guess people are reading the tea leaves differently about who is the real Romney. The real Romney if president will be expected to follow the expectations of the REPUBLICAN party, which is indeed a right wing party, and nothing moderate about it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Bill Clinton got a lot done (budget surpluses anyone?) with a hostile Republican majority in Congress but Obama and his supporters whine when they were in the majority in BOTH houses? And that having only 58-59 seats in the Senate wasn't enough? Geez, enough of the excuses, vote that incompetent out of the White House already,