Your First Day In Thailand

smokie36

i

In 2000 i came with four mates we had been working in China and thought we would have a look before we went home we did'nt know much about Thailand we flew from Hong Kong to Phuket booked hotel at airport and ended up in Patong during Songkran, no idea what that was we stayed in the hotel the first night drinking out of the mini bar in all our 4 rooms .Next day we went for a walk on the beach rd and of course there was many water guns getting bought on the street i thought the Thai kids must like water guns so back to the hotel swimming eating drinking come the night we all get our best gear on to hit the hotspots i dont know where we walked but i know the first bar we went in somebody threw a bucket of iced water over us the next 5 days i dont remember

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time was in 1968. Flew in a DC3 from Da Nang, Vietnam. We sat on our helmits so we did't get shot in the ass. Landed in Utapao and spent a "glorius" night in what is now Pattaya!

You got the cheap seats. I arrived at Utapao in 1968 on a C130 from Saigon. biggrin.png Had already acclimated to the stifling heat and humidity in Vietnam and no AC in the C130 so wasn't as big a shock stepping out in Thailand as it was in Saigon. Took a week though before my new 'friends' showed me what was beyond the gates of Utapao. Spent that first outing in a shack for the night and only a moderate headache the next morning. wink.png

Climbed back on the DC3 the next day and didn't come back until the late 1970's to collect a visa to go to "Burma" for another wonderful adventure!

Edited by wayned

Good thread, Smokie. Some very interesting stories.

I arrived in Thailand in 1969 by road. I'd exited Malaysia at Padang Besar and had to negotiate by foot a no-man's land of several kilometres. Fortunately, a Thai military vehicle picked me up on the way and took me to the border control post at Sadao - just a shed in those days. I spent the night at a temple in Hadyai, and next day took an overnight train to Bangkok.

Arriving in Bangkok in the early morning I was terribly impressed by the temples I saw as the train approached the city. This was the real East, I thought. I stayed at the Thai Song Greet Hotel, a backpacker place near Hualampong station, for a couple of nights, then at a boarding house in Lang Suan Soi 7, a lovely, quiet (and rather dark) tree-lined residential street. Walking home in the evenings I still remember the powerful fragrance of jasmine. After a couple of weeks there I went to Vientiane where I spent most of the next six years.

• Like 2

I arrived in Thailand in 1969 by road. I'd exited Malaysia at Padang Besar and had to negotiate by foot a no-man's land of several kilometres. Fortunately, a Thai military vehicle picked me up on the way and took me to the border control post at Sadao - just a shed in those days. I spent the night at a temple in Hadyai, and next day took an overnight train to Bangkok.

Arriving in Bangkok in the early morning I was terribly impressed by the temples I saw as the train approached the city. This was the real East, I thought. I stayed at the Thai Song Greet Hotel, a backpacker place near Hualampong station, for a couple of nights, then at a boarding house in Lang Suan Soi 7, a lovely, quiet (and rather dark) tree-lined residential street. Walking home in the evenings I still remember the powerful fragrance of jasmine. After a couple of weeks there I went to Vientiane where I spent most of the next six years.

Sorry to be a bit picky here - but you remember the "powerful fragrance of jasmine"?

I've been trying v hard to plant fragrant plants around my patio, but really can't understand why its so difficult!

The smell of jasmine is indeed v powerful at night in other countries, but in my experience - not here unless you're v close and, even then, it doesn't last long.

But indeed, jasmine is v fragrant in Greece or Turkey.

Edit - I've planted jasmine on one side of my patio. I rarely catch the drift of its fragrance when it flowers.

Edited by F1fanatic

Mine was 1987 or 1988 not sure - I was 22/23 and came here with 3 mates from Bristol

We stayed at the Royal Garden Plaza and I remember they were supposed to meet another 15 or 20 friends from Bristol.

After 2 or 3 laps of Pattaya in a baht bus and still no sign of the posse I decided enough was enough and told them I would see them later.

The bus stopped outside the Best Friend Boxing bar......the rest is history smile.png

Ahhh "Bet Flens". Lots of memories of/from that place! Is it still there? Last time I was there, the boxing ring had been demolished.

biggrin.png

1997, October.

Came here on holiday with a colleague and lady- friend of mine.

First thing I noticed at the airport, was that wished to turn into a fish, because of the humidity. To me, it was impossible, imagining to curvive without gills. Hotel was the Siam Beverly Hotel, near the "Emanuell' (didn't have a clue waht that was, at the time...well...a clue I had...but...). I remember getting up to the roof-top pool and taking a look around at the vastest ocean of buildings I had ever seen in my life! Rest of the day is a blur, as I am always heavily jet- lagged. We went on to Phuket, Khao Lak (at that time, the Khao Lak Laguna was the only bigger hotel around) and Samui. I began my love/hate relationship with Thailand, that is now in my 5th year of living here after moving to Bangkok in 2007!

Sorry to be a bit picky here - but you remember the "powerful fragrance of jasmine"?

I've been trying v hard to plant fragrant plants around my patio, but really can't understand why its so difficult!

The smell of jasmine is indeed v powerful at night in other countries, but in my experience - not here unless you're v close and, even then, it doesn't last long.

Edit - I've planted jasmine on one side of my patio. I rarely catch the drift of its fragrance when it flowers.

Unless it was something else? Frangipani? Magnolia? I'm not sure of the differences. But I think it was Jasmine (ต้นมะลิ). There was an awful lot of it from memory. Maybe the sheer volume of trees was enough to have the effect.

1997, October.

Came here on holiday with a colleague and lady- friend of mine.

First thing I noticed at the airport, was that wished to turn into a fish, because of the humidity. To me, it was impossible, imagining to curvive without gills. Hotel was the Siam Beverly Hotel, near the "Emanuell' (didn't have a clue waht that was, at the time...well...a clue I had...but...). I remember getting up to the roof-top pool and taking a look around at the vastest ocean of buildings I had ever seen in my life! Rest of the day is a blur, as I am always heavily jet- lagged. We went on to Phuket, Khao Lak (at that time, the Khao Lak Laguna was the only bigger hotel around) and Samui. I began my love/hate relationship with Thailand, that is now in my 5th year of living here after moving to Bangkok in 2007!

You're missing the point!

Smokie wants to remind everyone that when we first arrived here we thought everything was perfect.

Our subsequent disillusionement is down to us, not the reality.

Unless it was something else? Frangipani? Magnolia? I'm not sure of the differences. But I think it was Jasmine (ต้นมะลิ). There was an awful lot of it from memory. Maybe the sheer volume of trees was enough to have the effect.

In my experience (searching for fragrant plants/shrubs), it may have been what I assume to be a relative of the Gardenia.

I suspect that you are alone in having been 'hit' by the wonderful fragrance of Thailand.

Its one of the things I find most weird - even the most powerfully fragranced plants only hit you when you walk by them. The scent doesn't last.

Edit - one of those odd things, nasty scents for some reason hit you full force, whilst the nice scents last a few secons and then disappear.

Edited by F1fanatic

It was 1989 ,i had been persuaded to come here on holiday ,i intended to come for 7 days but was told that it was not worth it so made it 12 days ,arrived in don meung and got a minibus down to a place in n Pattaya , my first evening i got all dressed up to go to a bar ,but stopped for some food in a German beer garden on second rd (long gone) was informed by the owner that there was no need to dress up ,and that you dont have to be good looking to get a girl here , he also gave me the best piece of advice ,dont believe any of the tales the girls tell you.

12 days later with tears in my eyes i left ,only to return 6 weeks later ,i still know the young girl i met ,she is now married with kids .

i couldnr believe how much fun it was and how happy everyone seemed ,eventually i stopped coming and went to Bangkok instead where i had a buisness ,met my now wife. we lived in the UK for many years but 7 years ago went full circle and came back to Pattaya , our son now goes to uni in Bangkok,happy days.

to the person who persuaded me to come,thank you.

Smokie wants to remind everyone that when we first arrived here we thought everything was perfect.

Its just a bit of fun f1fanatic.....some interesting and entertaining stories so far. keep them coming please everyone...great response so far but thousands more posters! wink.png

• Like 1

Its just a bit of fun f1fanatic.....some interesting and entertaining stories so far. keep them coming please everyone...great response so far but thousands more posters! wink.png

I'm sure you're right that its just a bit of fun.

But I've had nothing but a positive impression from any country when I first arrived (apart from the luggage touts of course...).

The best 'impression' I've ever had from a country is either Greece (a truly unique smell) or Puerto Rico - but that's probably 'cos we'd just got of a plane after a flight that we thought we'd never survive!

Thailand (or rather Bangkok) was just the 'norm' - hot. Phuket on the other hand, was different - one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. The Maldives view is nothing compared to Phuket when coming in to land.

• Like 1

shiiiit .......how come nobody posted this thread before...goodonya mate!!!

Me..well arrived in pissing rain after fighting off a fishing guy who wanted cash for me running over his lines ..caught under rudder ....my crew dove over and freed it without damage......

Stepped ashore in Phuket at Yacht Haven marina at about 8am and had a big plate of spicy noodles and several beers at "mammas " wonderful first day..showered with a hose on the deck ..went off to Patong in a rented wreck...well everybody knows the rest.yadda yadda.....lol

• Like 1

The first time was in the early 80s on a Chinese cruise ship. We arrived in Phuket and spent 2 days and one night there. We stayed in Phuket Town at the only hotel. They had the gold fish bowl with the girls sitting with numbers. First time I had seen this. I liked the climate and the locals. Some of the English speaking crew travelled to the west of the island and ended up being robbed.

I showed up at the airport at midnight and shared a cab to Koh San road with a Australian that was coming from Canada with his ski boots on because he lost his shoes, we ended up at this dorm place for something like $2 a night and I was blown away but the whole little back alley things, the rats, the amount of people up and how cool I found these little corridors and alleys, we wandered around for a few hours and I just knew I loved this place, i know Koh San is a bit of a dump and all that, but I was sure blown away but the amount of action at taht time.

I had quit my job four weeks earlier and had spent the previous two weeks in Tokyo. I landed in BKK and took a cab to my hotel on lower suk. After taking a shower and putting my clothes away I decided to go out for a walk, the heat and smell hit me so hard I decided I had to get out of Bangkok as soon as possible. So I went and got the first sleeper ticket I could get to Chiang Mai, it wasn't leaving until the next night.

I decided some food might help and found a resturant on soi 11, ordered a large chang and some food. I sat that and drank six changs and just watched the people go buy. I really don't recall the rest of the night, the heat and the beers took it out of me.

The next day I headed north and fell in love with Thailand, I left eight weeks later (I did spend two weeks in Cambodia visiting Angkor Wat and a few other sights).

• Like 1

Cudos to the Mod Tywais for dropping by and sharing his story.

Maybe a few more of the Mods (and Honorary Members) would like to share also ... most likely you have been here the longest ... whistling.gif

Twas the mid 70's. Can't remember beyond that, owing to the fact that I was 2 at the time.

Lots of hazy memories later - staying everywhere from the Dusit Thani to the Florida hotel and to the Ambassador in the late 70's and early 80's. Getting out to Don Muang - that taking 2 hours - with no motor way.

Microbuses in the 90's. Centralworld before it was Centralworld. Non-metered taxis.

Lots of time wondering the streets of Yommarat staying at aunts shophouse.

Town in town in the 90's - when Charlie Browns was still out there

• Like 1

I consider my first day as one of my luckiest in hindsight.

I was a youth of 19 and although I'd travelled independently around Europe a couple of times on my own, and been to Asia many times with the family, this was my first taste of Asia alone as an adult.

Not to bandy words I was looking forward to enjoying a lot of female company while in Bangkok, having been told about it by some pals in the UK who were regular visitors at that time.

I stayed at the Manohra hotel in Surawong road and was enjoying a few bracers in the bar before heading out when I met 3 Scotsmen who had been in Thailand for donkey's years working on the oil in Songkhla,

Within an hour they'd clued me up to the potential pitfalls an innocent could encounter while out and about in Thailand after dark - painting a very different picture from my pals - and possibly saved me a fortune on that trip in one sentence:

"What does a young buck like you want with the tarts from the bars!!! Get yesen to the islands of the south and chase yon backpacker lassies ya stupid English *@!*" (or something like that)

They so terrified me with their horror stories of the "lassies" that I was too sh*t scared to indulge so I followed their advice and went south where I filled me boots and had a memorable time.

mmmm, backpacker lassies.

OK, I'll bite smile.png

Compared with some I'm a relative newcomer to the delights of Thailand.

First trip was a weekend RnR from construction of the PUTRA LRT in KL in 1998. I was hauled kicking and screaming (not) to Patong for a 'rest'. I'd already spent some time in Seoul (3 years living in Itaewon) and Hongkong (in Tsim Sha Tsui, not too close to the ladies in Wanchai but much too close to the [in]famous Bottoms-Up) so I knew what to expect, except it was more-so tongue.png

Two more visits to Phuket and I'm in love with the place, I had a Korean GF at the time so I couldn't fall in love with too many of the girls.

A 6 month deployment to Bangkok on the Skytrain project and a parting of ways with my Korean lady left me free to sample the country, which I did with great abandon smile.png

Far East work spluttered out so I returned to Europe to a job in Italy (Rome) where I just happened to meet one of the Thai ladies from the Panda bar in Wanchai (small world eh?). She happens to be married to my new boss (even smaller world) and has decided that I am lonely and need a friend. A Thai lady was duly introduced (I had apparently been spotted at a party so the lady knew what she was getting), must have been a good match we've been married 8 years.

Back to Thailand in 2004, work dried up in Europe so we took a chance on moving with no job to go to, luckily my Asian network was still largely in place and I got a contract within 2 months. Still contracting in Asia, hopefully more in BKK next year so I can actually spend more time with Wifey and moderate her spending on the new house smile.png

• Like 2

Arrived in October 1992 in Khao San Road. After checking in a guest house for 60 baht a night took a walk and ended up sitting in Sanam Luang, where there was some kind of demonstration against a law being introduced to wear motorcycle helmets with a band playing(think it was Carabao). Within 15 minutes the whole of Sanam Luang was surrounded by tanks and other military vehicles so I quickly walked back to KSR and ended up in the infamous 'hole in the wall bar', got very drunk and woke up the next day with two deaf and dumb girls. Probably just as well they couldn't tell me what happened.

After spending some months in India, it was great to get to a civilised country.

BTW, to all those moaning about the strength of the baht - when I changed money it was 25 baht to the $US and 37 baht for a UK pound.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Maybe a few more of the Mods (and Honorary Members) would like to share also ... most likely you have been here the longest ... whistling.gif

Twas the mid 70's. Can't remember beyond that, owing to the fact that I was 2 at the time.

Lots of hazy memories later - staying everywhere from the Dusit Thani to the Florida hotel and to the Ambassador in the late 70's and early 80's. Getting out to Don Muang - that taking 2 hours - with no motor way.

Microbuses in the 90's. Centralworld before it was Centralworld. Non-metered taxis.

Microbuses were great apart from the vdos with Andrew Biggs that many of them played.

• Like 1

Microbuses were great apart from the vdos with Andrew Biggs that many of them played.

I remember (if I could get on one with a free seat, given the had a no standing policy) that it would take 3 hours to get from Silom to Ramkamhaeng. Via Sukhumvit. Not long after that I discovered Klong Saend Saep.

I remember (if I could get on one with a free seat, given the had a no standing policy) that it would take 3 hours to get from Silom to Ramkamhaeng. Via Sukhumvit. Not long after that I discovered Klong Saend Saep.

Used to take me 4 hours on a Friday to get home - I worked in the Shangrila Hotel and lived in Bangkapi. Yep, then I discovered Khlong Saen Saeb. Still it took over 1 hour to get up Silom road. Actually once it took me 3 days but that's another story.

• Like 1

Crossy:

"Hongkong (in Tsim Sha Tsui, not too close to the ladies in Wanchai but much too close to the [in]famous Bottoms-Up) so I knew what to expect, except it was more-so tongue.png"

Memories. It wasn't until one ventured for the first time into Patpong that the realisation hit that the time spent in HK doing what one had believed to be devilish and all those hours spent in Bottoms Up and the Makati Inn had just been the teaser. biggrin.png

• Like 1