Your First Day In Thailand

smokie36

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first came cos my pal lived here, he told me to come for a holiday, and he new a nice lady l might like to meet huh.png . My pals wife ( bah.gif ) wasn't very happy that l was to perhaps meet this lady cos she had plans for lassoing me for her sister w00t.gif .

Any hoooooooooooo, arrived at Ubon Airport expecting hugs and kisses etc to find nobody there. sad.png , Traveled for near a day and nobody there sad.png . So tried the pay phone, lost all my change in it. w00t.gif . Got some more change and tried again which worked.

''<deleted> are you'', ''Why, where are you''. ''At the airport'', ''Bangkok'' ''No, Ubon'', ''Oh, be there soon as''.

Turns out his wife really ''wasn't'' happy about me not wanting to meet her sister and disappeared in the truck to mess up my happy arrival. He was embarrassed, l found out the story some months later. sad.png

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

One thing I do remember, coming in to land at Don Muang some 26 years ago, flying over rice-paddies rather than moo-bans !

The exotic green/brown/golden-roofs of wats, rising shining in the early-morning light, above the 6-lane road from the airport to town.

No Sky-train and far-fewer tower-blocks or elevated-highways, in those days.

The 4-lane road to Pattaya, with salt-pans & primitive fabric-sailed windmill-pumps along the way, and rice-fields with water-buffalo instead of industrial-estates & power-stations.

Happy days !

Edited by Ricardo

The first time I came to Thailand was to visit a Thai girl I'd met at work in the UK who'd been on an international placement for 6 months. We'd got together in lovely Wolverhampton and said a sad goodbye at Birmingham International 5 months later.

Koh Samui has been raped by greed. My wife though is still awesome.

You got together in lovely Wolverhampton? I cannot remember Wolverhampton being lovely. I do recall streets of brick row homes. My great aunt and uncle lived in one. We sent my mom to visit them in the 80's and she had the Mayors robes and necklace with maybe the city seal on it in a picture. But I cannot remember it as lovely. However I was in my early 20's and it was 1972 so I might have missed a lot.

As for Samui, I haven't been since 1999 and just don't have the desire to go. I'd rather my memories stay good and I'm sure a visit would punture that bubble

Good thread, Smokie. Some very interesting stories.

I arrived in Thailand in 1969 by road. I'd exited Malaysia at Padang Besar and had to negotiate by foot a no-man's land of several kilometres. Fortunately, a Thai military vehicle picked me up on the way and took me to the border control post at Sadao - just a shed in those days. I spent the night at a temple in Hadyai, and next day took an overnight train to Bangkok.

Arriving in Bangkok in the early morning I was terribly impressed by the temples I saw as the train approached the city. This was the real East, I thought. I stayed at the Thai Song Greet Hotel, a backpacker place near Hualampong station, for a couple of nights, then at a boarding house in Lang Suan Soi 7, a lovely, quiet (and rather dark) tree-lined residential street. Walking home in the evenings I still remember the powerful fragrance of jasmine. After a couple of weeks there I went to Vientiane where I spent most of the next six years.

Sorry to be a bit picky here - but you remember the "powerful fragrance of jasmine"?

I've been trying v hard to plant fragrant plants around my patio, but really can't understand why its so difficult!

The smell of jasmine is indeed v powerful at night in other countries, but in my experience - not here unless you're v close and, even then, it doesn't last long.

But indeed, jasmine is v fragrant in Greece or Turkey.

Edit - I've planted jasmine on one side of my patio. I rarely catch the drift of its fragrance when it flowers.

Unless it was something else? Frangipani? Magnolia? I'm not sure of the differences. But I think it was Jasmine (ต้นมะลิ). There was an awful lot of it from memory. Maybe the sheer volume of trees was enough to have the effect.

Getting a bit off topic here but it was probably Biblical Jasmine or Jasmine sambuc . It is the white flowers in garlands and is often presented to Buddha. Smells wonderful.

2005 was my first time, start of negotiations and planning for a work project that I thought would take a few months to kick off. We actually started 4 years later. Big learning curve and still learning now.

Same as most others the heat, humidity and smells hit me, but the one thing that really sticks in my mind was the concrete pillars with rebar sticking out and other concrete supports along the road outside the old airport. I asked when it would all be finished to be told that it was abandoned because someone high up had said that the elevated road would make Bangkok look ugly. Every time I go past now, I think how beautiful those abandoned supports look rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

First day in Thailand?

Maternity ward, born in BKK six months after my parents were transferred there. Does that make me the 'oldest' or 'youngest' TV member?

Our house was a large bungalow off Sukhumvit soi 13, I believe . . . backing onto a klong which I fell into when I was two or three and blamed my older brother who copped a few with the belt from father when he got home from work.

Edited by Sing_Sling
  • Like 1

Western food in Bangkok was still a rare item, and recall Narai hotel being one of the few places that served pizza.

I arrived in Bangkok on TDY from Utapao just a couple of months after the Narai was built and opened and thought it was very impressive considering the lack of tall buildings then and having a revolving restaurant which I've never seen before. Unlike you though, I couldn't afford to eat there. biggrin.png

all classified as

Very vague but was an engineer on a Bankline ship way back in 1970 (first trip) and we docked at probably Klong Toey.

You a merchant man then? I did 10 years as a Sparkie with BP/Sea Containers/Fyffes and P&O.

Hi Endure....Yes....actually the "Lecky."....but we all classified ..Engineers.

Did my time with Upper Clyde Shipyards ..usual stuff Dredgers,Subs,Frigates,RN/MN landing craft (incl Sir Galahad)and eventually finished up on the QE2 .In fact one of my last jobs on it was to install the first non military wave guide/Sat Nav radar system allowing it to traverse the Atlantic by Telstar......the future was then..

Following that and at 20 years old signed on with the Andrew Weir Shipping Line and started travelling....as said...Thailand-Vietnam-Philippines-Taiwan-The Islands-Auz....etc.etc...

We could have a sub section...old sea dogs..

R

• Like 2

I arrived at the airport in the morning in 1982. I was met by a young Marine who drove me to JUSMAG. I had a few meetings, got an in-country brief, had lunch, then got in a a van for a trip to the Cambodian border. On the highway, I saw an elephant in the back of what looked like a heavy-duty pick-up truck. That was the most Thai thing I saw all day.

I arrived at the Thai Army camp on the border, got out, was introduced to some Thai counterparts, then pretty much went into a tent, got on a cot, and went to sleep.

My first day in Thailand was not very exciting or exotic. For the next two weeks, it was jungle, refugees, and military training. I never really saw any of Thailand until I got back to BKK and then rented a motorcycle for a trip north to Chiang Rai.

• Like 2

1st time travelling alone, decided on Samui as my first port of call. I knew absolutely nothing about all of the negative aspects of Samui/Thailand which are quite often written here. Walked into Chaweng sat down at a roadside food place/stall the only foreigner among a mass of Thai's, they all did the "open jaw blank stare thing, (place goes quiet routine) If it had been a "Cowboy Western" the piano player would of stopped playing and beat a hasty retreat out of the swing doors.

Fault to myself I'm drawing a lot of stares, obviously they don't get many foreigners here, just about to reconsider my dining arrangements, and leave whilst I still could. When a group of Thai fellas make a point of engaging me in friendly conversation and pouring me some beer and generally being very hospitable introducing their wife's girlfriends etc, immediately liked Samui.

Still friends with these people now, see it ain't all bad.

Edited by spacedcowboy
  • Like 1

Yup, the good old days, before the influx of the criminals, losers and scum that we see so much of nowadays.

They were all Harvard men in those days....cheesy.gif

For that you'd have to have been there in the early sixties

John Thompson (man who singlehandedly saved the Thai silk industry) went to Princeton.

Yup, the good old days, before the influx of the criminals, losers and scum that we see so much of nowadays.

John Thompson (man who singlehandedly saved the Thai silk industry) went to Princeton.

I was referring to Ivy League, and the type, in general . . .

Speaking of Thompson, I was up in Cameron Highlands recently . . . didn't come across him

so it must have been his brother jim at harvard

• Like 1

First arrived on 1 August 1967 when I was 23, from the USA. Arrived on Pan Am in the afternoon then proceded by taxi to companies office above the Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit Soi 8. After checking in they took me across the street to the Manhattan Hotel where I spent my first night in Thailand. Next morning I was off by taxi to Korat to start work with Philco-Ford.