Ngwe Saung Beach Myanmar - Trip Report

SeaVisionBurma

Was it pretty quiet SVB? Or were you fighting Germans for a sun bed?biggrin.png

And was that wind turbine operating? Last time I was there they had installed it and were waiting for it to be commissioned, they said that every resort would have 24 hour power when it was running.

That wind turbine was odd. Stuck out like the proverbials, and we asked our local mate about it. He said it hasn't moved an inch in a year or so, and probably never will. Lovely static display now.

As for the Great Sunbed Battles of Ngwe Saung 2012 - no, fairly quiet. Most of the resorts were dead, especially at the posh end of the beach. We dropped in for a look at BOB (Bay of Bengal, the high end resort - their acronym cracks me up) and there wasn't a soul.

Everyone is expecting it to be packed for Thadingyut - as you rightly predicted. My last trip to Chaungtha was for Thadingyut way back in 1999 with a mate and couple of girlfriends, and I remember it being outrageous then.

Funny story - There was chap in the adjoining bungalow at Shwe Hin Tha the day before we left - kept looking at me oddly, asking me how I was etc (German chap, hence the funny story bit, following your queries).

Finally he said "Are you XXX?"

He recognised me from the queue outside the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok some weeks earlier. He and his girlfriend were there getting there visas, and we got chatting in the queue. Several weeks later, at a random beach side resort....go figure.

And they didn't take my sunbed either. Lovely people. laugh.png

That wind turbine was odd. Stuck out like the proverbials, and we asked our local mate about it. He said it hasn't moved an inch in a year or so, and probably never will. Lovely static display now.

As for the Great Sunbed Battles of Ngwe Saung 2012 - no, fairly quiet. Most of the resorts were dead, especially at the posh end of the beach. We dropped in for a look at BOB (Bay of Bengal, the high end resort - their acronym cracks me up) and there wasn't a soul.

Everyone is expecting it to be packed for Thadingyut - as you rightly predicted. My last trip to Chaungtha was for Thadingyut way back in 1999 with a mate and couple of girlfriends, and I remember it being outrageous then.

Funny story - There was chap in the adjoining bungalow at Shwe Hin Tha the day before we left - kept looking at me oddly, asking me how I was etc (German chap, hence the funny story bit, following your queries).

Finally he said "Are you XXX?"

He recognised me from the queue outside the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok some weeks earlier. He and his girlfriend were there getting there visas, and we got chatting in the queue. Several weeks later, at a random beach side resort....go figure.

And they didn't take my sunbed either. Lovely people. laugh.png

It must be at least 4 years since that wind turbine was installed, interesting to hear that its still not working.

Funnily enough we did just the same as you, we went to BoB for lunch one day, just to have a look. Whilst we were there ran into a load of French expats who live here as well, they were doing just the same, nobody who was eating there that day was actually staying there. It belongs to the ex Minister of Forestry and is run by his son. It's going to be interesting how BoB and a few other places there which have similar histories do in the future. Word on the street is that tour companies are avoiding them, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And you're trying to have us believe you shared a hotel with Germans and there was no need for the Dambusters theme? Pull the other one!tongue.png

And you say you were here in 1999? I have a feeling we might know each other, or at least know of each other.

• 7 months later...

Very interesting post, thank again.

You didn't try the snorkeling there ?

Also, i cannot see any pictures in your post, are they still hosted or it's my computer problem ?

Didn't go snorkelling on that trip. Was doing a tour further afield.

Pictures are loading fine for me - try refreshing or hit CTRL-F5

• 1 month later...