Maximum Cash Withdrawal?

I would think it would depend on the Branch as they all tend to operate independently on some issues. If its several million then probably you need to give notice, but less than that probably Ok (and its in your account etc) the easiest way is to just walk in and ask.

I have never seen less that 50,000 limit and often it is up to 200,000 or even more. 20,000 is the normal limit of most banks ATM software to dispense at one time - you can keep getting more up to your card set daily limit.

OP: are you referring to a credit card or a debit card? If debit card withdrawal exceeds the daily withdrawal limit on your Thai bank account likely you will need to provide your passport as ID. I've had my Thai 5 year driving license declined as prove of ID.

No limit per se.

It'll depend on how much cash they have available at the branch.

They have to sure to keep enough on hand to operate till the next transport comes in.

In larger branches they usually don't even blink their eyes on multi million withdrawals!

Thailand is still very much a cash operated country.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

most banks only let you with draw 20000tb, per day

if you want to up the amount,you have to set up the limit

you can do it from an ATM (take along wife to read thai)or just go to the bank,

So your wife follows you to the ATM to "translate" ??cheesy.gif

On a more serious note, for over the counter withdrawals there are no limits, as long as the bank has the cash. Without being a "highvalue" customer in my bank, I have withdrawn up to 2M without prior notice.

Just off to the bank, mrs says 400k no problem but i doubt it very much. 20k is the normal ATM limit.

the maximum limit you can arrange with e.g. SCB is 400k per day but that is also limited by the capacity of the ATM, i.e. different ATMs have to be used.

why do people keep referring to ATM? I did say over the counter. Tanachart at Seacon said 25 million a day limit. Filled in form for 400k and they told me to go to my own branch at Suk!

in order to impart any knowledge they have in the general subject area

why do people keep referring to ATM? I did say over the counter. Tanachart at Seacon said 25 million a day limit. Filled in form for 400k and they told me to go to my own branch at Suk!

Maybe this is why people keep referring to ATM:whistling.gif

Just off to the bank, mrs says 400k no problem but i doubt it very much. 20k is the normal ATM limit.

Why ask a question here, when you are going to check it yourself, and don't take notice of 2 percectly good answers from monty and myself?? coffee1.gif

No limit per se.

It'll depend on how much cash they have available at the branch.

They have to sure to keep enough on hand to operate till the next transport comes in.

In larger branches they usually don't even blink their eyes on multi million withdrawals!

Thailand is still very much a cash operated country.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

And to most other replies, the OP does say "over the counter", not ATM.

The correstc answer is that you have to ask at the specific branch that you wish to withdraw it from. Even if you can withdraw 5m, you still won't be able to if lots of people got there before you and you've run out of money. In the UK I was told to order in advance to be sure, but turning up unannounced would be ok, as long as they had enough money at the time. They usually do, but not always. Seems like the same would apply here. It's just common sense really.

Believe we took the cue from post 3 and because that is the common question asked here - at counter you should be able to obtain all the money in your account - that is the accepted method to move to a new bank location. But as said it will be up to the branch manager to approve so if they do not have the funds (if talking millions) they could delay payment. But in general it is far too easy to withdraw all a persons savings with no notice and this is what the local scam artists do daily with phone calls of threats to people and clear there accounts in minutes.

Obviously there are very different limits for ATM withdrawals and over-the-counter.

i.e. There are still lots of UK cards with £250 or £300 daily ATM withdrawal limits, which means you can't even take out the 20K that the ATM lets people take out in one go. On the other hand, Asian cards tend to have significantly higher daily limits (I remember Citibank Japan notifying customers when they REDUCED the ATM daily withdrawal limit to the equivalent of £2,500 from about £15,000).

Over-the-counter though, that limit goes away.

If you deal with the branch regularly, and they know you, then obviously you'll have less issues taking out large amounts of cash than walking into a branch you've never been in before. But even in that case, where I was transferring most of the money to another account (school fees), I've personally taken out 500K in one shot on a credit card (back when it was 66 baht to the pound admittedly).

Debit cards can actually be more of an issue - i.e. Where I've had money in the bank abroad, I've had issues using a debit card for large amounts where I turned around and used a credit card which has been fine, but that seems to be down to some limit at the clearing agent on the Thai end, rather than the bank itself, as I checked with my bank why it got refused and they'd never even had the request.

Western (at least US) banks have debit card daily limits just as they have cash withdrawal limits. Mine are in the $3-5000 range so even when you have funds in account they are not available with a debit type card. This is also true with Thai banks as I found out when trying to pay a hospital bill. But that 20k atm is a software limit to prevent jams of machine - Bangkok Bank allows 25k and AEON 40k (number of 1k bills it can provide in one go). As said if you have not used your card limit you can immediately use again.

went to tanachart, own branch who informed me one million a day in cash is their limit. No problem taking out 700k. Thought this was odd as sometimes they carp about signatures when it;s just 20k, Did not like carrying that amount to the car dealer but seems normal here.