Safe-T-Cut/gfi

yankee99

I am sending a water heater [4500 watt] to issan. I would also like to send the correct breaker so they dont get shocked. In the states it would be a simple gfi. Home works had a breaker 2pole 32amps with a reset button It was 2000 baht. before i buy it can someone confirm this is the correct breaker.

Most water heaters, if you are talking about shower units, will have an RCD (gfi) built into them, although best to also have on main feed also. Safe-t-Cut, if an RCD, will normally have a test button and 2,000 baht sounds low for most such units (but also seems high for just a breaker). They make both types so you need to be careful to get what you want. Do you seen on this page?

http://www.safe-t-cut.com/eng/index.php?name=product

OP, the typical Isaan house only has 5/15a meter and uses lamp cord to supply everything. But, that won't work for a 4.5KW heater. If you're not sure, you need to find out. And use at least 2.5mm2 wire from supply to the unit. Also be aware that if the family you are sending this is currently gettiing electric for free, that might kick the usage into a monthly bill.

@bankruatsteve. I wish i had purchased a 3500watt now. I really wasnt thinking except 4500w was the same price as 3500w. They already pay electric so not a issue. Yes the internal wire will be new. I hope it is ok from the pole to the house.

@bankruatsteve. I wish i had purchased a 3500watt now. I really wasnt thinking except 4500w was the same price as 3500w. They already pay electric so not a issue. Yes the internal wire will be new. I hope it is ok from the pole to the house.

Don't forget to tell them about an EARTH wire to a 2 metre rod in the ground, if they haven't got one. whistling.gif

Again, if they have 5/15a meter, the main cutoff is likely to be fused for 5-10a. And your heater will be using 20a. So, you really need to verify for that.

If you do not know the home it may be far beyond use - as said most will only have 5/15 service and to be usable the water heater will also require a pump to be operating at the same time. Expect they have refrigerator or two? Lights and TV? Fans? Other items? Perhaps the first step will require change of incoming meter/and perhaps feed-wire. This is normally not a huge problem (unless a long run from supply) and not that expensive. Most of the time the heater likely would not be operating at 4.5k but when it is that is a lot of electric upcountry.

As mentioned above having a ground on the heater, if the type in shower, is very important and will likely require a new wire and ground stake to be installed.

Actually believe home fuse will be about 30 amps on a 5/15 meter (to allow for temporary higher usage).

A service fuse is for short circuit protection of mains. If it is an old installation there may be only a fuse and knife type DP fused switch. The protective device for the heater should be a RCBO. Up to 20A/30ma for heaters up to 4400watts with 2.5sqmm cable. over this use a 32A/30ma and 4sqmm cable.

The heater must be earthed. The heater may have an integral RCD this only protects the heater itself not the connection terminals or cable from the switchboard.

A meter can sustain overloads of high magnitude for short periods, the disk will run faster and accuracy may be affected but that is all.