British Expat Dies In Phuket Motorbike Crash

webfact

British expat dies in Phuket motorbike crash

Phuket Gazette

b.jpeg

Phuket Police have yet to determine what caused the crash. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: A British expat living on the island died last night after the motorbike he was riding slammed into the back of a pickup truck in Thalang.

Police named the deceased as Christopher Ian Hart, 44, from Loughborogh in the United Kingdom.

Lt Col Somkit Kaosung of the Thalang Police was notified if the accident at 9:34 pm.

Officers arriving at the scene, about 300 meters from the Baan Nai Klum u-turn on Thepkasattri Road, found Mr Hart’s Honda Wave motorcycle and a Toyota pickup in the middle of the road.

Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers rushed the seriously injured Mr Hart to Thalang Hospital. He was later transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

Mr Hart was pronounced dead shortly after 12:44am.

The pickup diver, 37-year-old Chatri Saejung, told police that he exited the Tesco Lotus Thalang shopping center and was approaching the Baan Nai Klum u-turn when the accident happened.

“He heard something hit the back of his pickup. He got out of the vehicle and found Mr Hart and his motorbike on the road,” said Col Somkit.

“The pickup truck and the motorcycle were taken to Thalang Police Station. We are continuing our investigation into the accident and need to question more witnesses,” he added.

Among the debris found scattered on the road was a single sharp knife. Police have yet to determine who owned the knife and how it arrived at the scene.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19364.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-08

Chris was my dearest friend for about 20 years and my brother law for the last 6 years. I will miss him greatly.

Not that it makes much difference, he is actually from Littleborough not Loughborough. From my understanding, the knife was there because it was his wife's bike and she always had it on the bike somewhere in case she was attacked while out riding. I guess it must have jfell from it during impact. There is no suspicion of any one else being involved other than those in the report.

Anyway RIP Chris.

Sorry for your loss Sir........and thank you for expressing your thoughts about Chris.

It's a timely reminder that there is always a family affected by tragic news headlines like this.

R.I.P Mr Hart......Among the debris found scattered on the road was a single sharp knife. Police have yet to determine who owned the knife and how it arrived at the scene. ...........here we go again ???

I also carry a knife when going out at night.

It's far from sharp, as it's a fruit knife, but how else are we meant to eat at a restaurant? eat with our fingers or tear the food apart with the supplied fork and spoon!

R.I.P Mr Hart......Among the debris found scattered on the road was a single sharp knife. Police have yet to determine who owned the knife and how it arrived at the scene. ...........here we go again ???

It's far from sharp, as it's a fruit knife, but how else are we meant to eat at a restaurant? eat with our fingers or tear the food apart with the supplied fork and spoon!

Or you could simply ask for a knife. A lot of restaurants do have knives. ;-)

R.I.P mate.

Chris was a top guy always up for a good laugh.

My heart goes out to his wife and young son he leaves behind.

My condolences to friends and family. Yet another loss of life on the roads of Phuket. Sadly, it's almost a daily occurence now.

I am assuming Mr. Hart lived here and his wife is Thai and his son is half Thai and half British.

I have a slightly off topic question for those members who are married to a Thai National and have young children here, meaning Thailand, not specifically Phuket. I'm not asking about the personal circumstances of Mr. Hart and his immediate family, but a general question.

Does your life insurance payout to someone who is in another country and who is not a citizen of your home country?

Does the "will" you made in your home country cover the liquidation of any assets held in a foreign country? Eg. businesses, property, motor vehicles, cash at bank etc. For example, someone may have a will in England, but have assets in Thailand. Are those assets in Thailand covered under the will in England?

Do "trust funds" exist in Thai Law?

Without being specific, what provisions have those members of TV with a Thai wife and/or young children put in place should you pass away whilst your children are too young to take care of themselves, or your wife too old to work?

Edited by NamKangMan

R.I.P mate.

Chris was a top guy always up for a good laugh.

My heart goes out to his wife and young son he leaves behind.

My condolences to friends and family. Yet another loss of life on the roads of Phuket. Sadly, it's almost a daily occurence now.

I am assuming Mr. Hart lived here and his wife is Thai and his son is half Thai and half British.

I have a slightly off topic question for those members who are married to a Thai National and have young children here, meaning Thailand, not specifically Phuket. I'm not asking about the personal circumstances of Mr. Hart and his immediate family, but a general question.

Does your life insurance payout to someone who is in another country and who is not a citizen of your home country?

Does the "will" you made in your home country cover the liquidation of any assets held in a foreign country? Eg. businesses, property, motor vehicles, cash at bank etc. For example, someone may have a will in England, but have assets in Thailand. Are those assets in Thailand covered under the will in England?

Do "trust funds" exist in Thai Law?

Without being specific, what provisions have those members of TV with a Thai wife and/or young children put in place should you pass away whilst your children are too young to take care of themselves, or your wife too old to work?

I'd suggest that you address your comments to a reptuable lawyer. Laws are not always straightforward, Thai and English law are not the same, and the construction of the will is very important.

A Thai lawyer told me before that the concept of trust funds is not recognised in Thai law. Also, you need to be aware of the draconian rules regarding death duties if your wife is not a born UK national or lived there for something like 20 consecutive years.

I would like to offer my condolences to the bereaved at this sad time. Such a tragic loss.

All members, please stay on the topic. Legal questions on wills should be asked/answered in a separate topic forum. Further off topic questions will be removed. Thank you.

I was aware my questions were a little off topic, but must admit, after reading the article and a post, I cast a thought to the surviving wife and child in the hope they will be financially taken care of, hence, my questions about how one would go about doing that, given the different countries/laws.

Apologies for any inconvenience or offence.

Edited by NamKangMan

All members, please stay on the topic. Legal questions on wills should be asked/answered in a separate topic forum. Further off topic questions will be removed. Thank you.

I was aware my questions were a little off topic, but must admit, after reading the article and a post, I cast a thought to the surviving wife and child in the hope they will be financially taken care of, hence, my questions about how one would go about doing that, given the different countries/laws.

Apologies for any inconvenience or offence.

No offense taken, Just a little respect for the deceased man's family and friends on this topic. I sent you a PM.

• Like 1

.....geeze, how long have you lived here?....or do you still eat meat'n potatos in a Land of infinite food choices....farangs! biggrin.png

I might be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if the pick up driver simply pulled out of Lotus and the guy crashed into him because he couldn't brake in time.

Yep - my first thought also - lets face it, PULLING OUT INTO TRAFFIC is practically a national sport.

Correct, and that's why one should EXPECT it to happen and not be surprised of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chris was my dearest friend for about 20 years and my brother law for the last 6 years. I will miss him greatly.

Not that it makes much difference, he is actually from Littleborough not Loughborough. From my understanding, the knife was there because it was his wife's bike and she always had it on the bike somewhere in case she was attacked while out riding. I guess it must have jfell from it during impact. There is no suspicion of any one else being involved other than those in the report.

Anyway RIP Chris.

Chris, we extend our deepest sympathies and condolances to you and the rest of the family and loved ones. This really hits home. From cup-O-coffee and the wife and son.

• Like 1

"We do not know exactly how the accident occurred, the truck driver stated that the motorbike hit the back of his car, for this to occur he had perhaps to brake sharply, or turn sideways sharply, but the exact details will eventually come to light via witnesses.

To investigate the occurrence of the found knife within the accident is a normal police matter, but no doubt negative, because Chris was not injured / killed in this way, and the knife fell merely on the road either from Chris's motorbike, or by any other motorcyclist."

This is a sad tragedy indeed, my thoughts are with his family, in particular his wife and son.