Extension Based On Thai Spouse Renewal - A New Wrinkle

zippydedodah

I showed up today for my visa extension based on my marriage to a thai. I was required to provide copies of my house lease, map and pictures (same as last year) even though nowhere do i see listed (on TV forums or any google search) the rental agreement as a requirement... i had it anyways, since i have been asked for it every year.

I also needed my notarized income affidavit from my consulate plus copies of my pension "warrant" plus a copy of my social security yearly statement.... all totaling well over the 400K/year.

I came prepared with copies of my passport main page, last years extension, latest entry stamp into county and my white card (TM6)....well, that is where things changed.

This year i was asked to go get copies of 7 other pages in my passport... which included every re-entry visa and the companion entry stamp into thailand, since the time of my first Non-immigration O....

Fine, not a problem, except for having to stand in line for 25 minutes at the copy machine... no complaint from the immigration office ... so no complaint from me.

Once all papers were neatly in hand, money handed over and then a 10 minute wait for my temp stamp and come back in 30 days for final stamp.

as always, two copies of everything and smiles all around.....

Just my experience.... mileage varies

zippy

BTW... i did ask about the early morning queue (to get numbers) and was informed that was no longer in operation.... just arrive between 7 and 8 and get a number (advance?) from the rear desk set up outside the back door...facing the coffee shop.

BTW... i did ask about the early morning queue (to get numbers) and was informed that was no longer in operation.... just arrive between 7 and 8 and get a number (advance?) from the rear desk set up outside the back door...facing the coffee shop.

By now everyone should know they really don't like foreigners here to be on the marriage visa. After 10 years of being put through the meat grinder I switched to a retirement visa 3 years ago and now everything is a breeze (for now at least).

• Like 1

Just depends on the mood of the processing officer. I have applied for the married-to-Thai extensions for years and years so I know what copies are required, but you occasionally get an officer who asks for copies of every passport page. I once started to ask why but wife told me to shut up and get the copies. Now I take 2 copies of every page and smile when the officer throws back the pages he does not need ... biggrin.png ... ho hum

• Like 1

By now everyone should know they really don't like foreigners here to be on the marriage visa. After 10 years of being put through the meat grinder I switched to a retirement visa 3 years ago and now everything is a breeze (for now at least).

Yes, I know. But as I have a Work Permit then I cannot switch to retirement. interestingly a number of years ago the processing officer asked why I did not use the retirement route as I had more than 800,000 baht in my bank account, so I said fine and had the extension right away. did the same for the next couple of years, but then a more efficient officer noticed I had a WP and would not process the application. So back to the much more paperwork intensive married route.

forgot to add: also was asked for the kids birth certificate, the kids house card and marriage certificate.... 2 copies of each...in fact, i forgot them and the officer just called us and asked us to bring them in the morning.

Would also add, for 4 yrs now, same officer.... yet about every 2 yrs, something changes for us..... we never raise an eyebrow, merely conform to whatever is asked... and we do so with a smile...

I've also been asked for the copies of all the previous extensions, re-entry permits, and entry stamps as well, for the last 2 yearly renewals.

This was on a retirement rather than a marriage extension.

Perhaps the paper recycler they sell to, offered 20% more if they hit one metric ton a month....rolleyes.gif

I get a Non O based on marrige visa. Much easier, Just a letter from my wife and a copy of the marrige cert. then food for 15 months and never have to check into immagration. Havent been there for years.

Much easier and less stress

That's the way I do it, but it does require a trip back to UK once a year, but that's ok with me. Not everyone wants to go that route.

I've been doing one year marriage extensions for many many years and Samui has always required copies of every Thai stamp in my passport, and this since 1992. Perhaps Chiang Mai has finally caught up.

A newish "wrinkle" (I've needed it for two years now) that you don't mention so perhaps your officer was unaware is now required, and nationwide by the looks of reports in the visas forum, is the Kor Ror 2 if you were married in Thailand. This is the current marriage register that shows you are still married. Ours is not in the computer so we have to photocopy the handwritten book and get the District Officers stamp on it. If you were married overseas you have to show something else, sorry not sure what that is.

Of course you still have to show your original marriage license too. Friends with children have reported in various Imm offices around the nation that they have had to show birth certificates of kids, so thats not new either.

Yes, I know. But as I have a Work Permit then I cannot switch to retirement. interestingly a number of years ago the processing officer asked why I did not use the retirement route as I had more than 800,000 baht in my bank account, so I said fine and had the extension right away. did the same for the next couple of years, but then a more efficient officer noticed I had a WP and would not process the application. So back to the much more paperwork intensive married route.

This is of interest to me. I have a work permit for my job, and i get my yearly visa extensions based on having that work permit. But you have your visa based on marriage, but still have a work permit?

Does that mean you were able to get a work permit based on being married and therefore based on having a marriage visa?

I get a Non O based on marrige visa. Much easier, Just a letter from my wife and a copy of the marrige cert. then food for 15 months and never have to check into immagration. Havent been there for years.

Do you not have to go to the border every three months though?

What do you mean by food for 15 months?

That's the way I do it, but it does require a trip back to UK once a year, but that's ok with me. Not everyone wants to go that route.

Why back to the UK? I just get a new visa from Laos every 15 months.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Why back to the UK? I just get a new visa from Laos every 15 months.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I was talking about my personal circumstances. I go to visit family.

Which Immigration Office are you referrring to?

I've been doing one year marriage extensions for many many years and Samui has always required copies of every Thai stamp in my passport, and this since 1992. Perhaps Chiang Mai has finally caught up.

A newish "wrinkle" (I've needed it for two years now) that you don't mention so perhaps your officer was unaware is now required, and nationwide by the looks of reports in the visas forum, is the Kor Ror 2 if you were married in Thailand. This is the current marriage register that shows you are still married. Ours is not in the computer so we have to photocopy the handwritten book and get the District Officers stamp on it. If you were married overseas you have to show something else, sorry not sure what that is.

Of course you still have to show your original marriage license too. Friends with children have reported in various Imm offices around the nation that they have had to show birth certificates of kids, so thats not new either.

Photocopy of the current marriage register ??!! With a stamp, no less!! Wow!! This IS very, very interesting. Shows that immigration officials are really zeroing in on "cheating" on the marriage visa. Why should anyone be surprised ??!!

Edited by Mapguy

Could some enlightened soul explain why (genuinely ) married couples have to go through all these hoops and loops. ?

Which Immigration Office are you referrring to?

Chiang Mai

Been doing it for several years, mostly CM but also Phuket and they've always asked/taken all copies (doesn't the Imm' site say so?). I also copy all bank book pages... let em have it!

Here's what you should have for those with cash and house (2 copies of everything):

Passport - every page

Bank book - every page

Bank book certificate +copy (cert' 100 baht and within 1 week)

Wife ID card

Tabien Baan

Marriage certificate (+ confirmation--Kor Ror 2?)

Kids' birth certificate (kids' ID card?)

Map to house

2 photos of family in and around house, 1 showing house number

2 current 4x6cm ID photos (preferably not taken several years ago)

1,900 Baht fee - EXACT CHANGE!

ONLINE QUEUE CARD PRINT OUT (within 100 days).

Application submitted during the last 30 days of previous extension.

Bank balance above 400k for three months; two months if more than five times?

The multi-entry is the other option (no money needs to be shown either?), but one has to leave every 90 days of course and it's about 5k init?

• Like 1

This is of interest to me. I have a work permit for my job, and i get my yearly visa extensions based on having that work permit. But you have your visa based on marriage, but still have a work permit?

Does that mean you were able to get a work permit based on being married and therefore based on having a marriage visa?

I choose the marriage extension as I only have to prove the tax paid on a 40,000 baht/month income. I could get the extension based on WP but as I understand it the income must be 65,000 baht/month. So the marriage method means I pay less tax. I get the WP based on our company documents, although the requirements are relaxed (a little bit) as I have a Thai wife. I have never had a 'marriage' visa, but I have an extension based on marriage. Don't get confused with 'visa' and 'extension'. Not the same.

I've heard reports, too, of CM Immigration now asking for a copy of your original visa and every extension. This means you should hold onto your old passport if you get a new one. A surprising number of people dispose of their old passports, without realizing they may be needed for future extension approvals.

I've heard reports, too, of CM Immigration now asking for a copy of your original visa and every extension. This means you should hold onto your old passport if you get a new one. A surprising number of people dispose of their old passports, without realizing they may be needed for future extension approvals.

+1 Yes, it is not at all unusual to ask for copies. One does wonder why, year after year, but never mind! Absolutely save your old passports! And making and filing copies of each renewal might also save you some time and hassle at Immigration getting copies together at the photocopier.

+1 Yes, it is not at all unusual to ask for copies. One does wonder why, year after year, but never mind! Absolutely save your old passports! And making and filing copies of each renewal might also save you some time and hassle at Immigration getting copies together at the photocopier.

I have every page of my last passport and every page updated on my current passport scanned into my computer files. Makes it so so easy to make copies on my printer.

So, the Thai immigration officers make no distinction on whether one has been married to a Thai for a year or 20 years? By the time our 5 year old graduates from high school and we probably move back to C.M., we will have been married for 19 years. By them, I assume that the 400,000 baht per year will be increased considerably. We may come back to C.M. for a year or two while the son is in grade school, so he can experience thailand and learn to read and write thai. In that case, I think I'll use an educational visa.

Nancy; I've had a good look at the rules and I can't see a requirement for copies of everything right back to your original 'O' and every extension. I'm sure our pals on the Visa threads will correct me if wrong. However; it's always a case of the officers/different immigration offices having their own set of rules depending on where you go. I must say that I always find CM immigration quite friendly and helpful. If there is something amiss they will normally ask you to drop it in the next day.

I think most people think that keeping old passport's is not a good idea what with the amount of identity theft that goes on etc but I will take up on the idea of scanning all the pages and keeping them on computer that 'On the dark side ' suggests. Doh ! why didn't I think of that myself? Something to do with the older brain turning to scrambled egg I suppose !

I think an Immigration officer can "enlarge" upon the rules. When Hubby did his recent visa extension (for retirement), they asked for copies of every extension since he entered Thailand on his O-A visa. It may have been related to his transferring his visa from an old to new passport at the same time -- but actually that was another process, done by a different officer (with a different queue number, of course), after he obtained the extension in his new passport.

I've also run into another example of why you should keep old passports -- bank managers can also make up their own rules, especially when you turn up and say you want to withdraw a large amount, like your 800,000 baht retirement account. In the case I'm aware of, the manager really made it difficult -- one "problem" was that the account was opened with the old passport, which had expired and been tossed and now the account holder wanted to close the account and had only the new passport. Eventually the manager let the funds go, but she managed to dream up three or four other "problems" first. Not a kind thing to do to someone who wants to withdraw the funds to return to his home country to obtain medical care.

Edited by NancyL

• 1 month later...

Hi Me. what exactly do you ask for when you are in the uk.and what is required of you in the uk to get that visa for 15 months.

Do you still have to leave thailand every 90 days

Thanks i thought i was beginning to understand the various visas but soe things throw you\

cheers.

I also dont mnd going back to

scotland every year thats why i am asking you

I think an Immigration officer can "enlarge" upon the rules. When Hubby did his recent visa extension (for retirement), they asked for copies of every extension since he entered Thailand on his O-A visa. It may have been related to his transferring his visa from an old to new passport at the same time -- but actually that was another process, done by a different officer (with a different queue number, of course), after he obtained the extension in his new passport.

I have never ever been asked for copies of every retirement extension. When I obtained a new passport in 2009 they transferred the stamp and info to the first page and it states from which date my extensions have been running. But as you say an officer can enlarge on the rules (depending what time of month it is, if they've eaten, had an argument with the spouse, or simply unsure of what they are doing).

Edited by uptheos

When I went, you had to get a number from the desk inside. Of course it was absolute chaos, with no information signs and no help from the staff. There has to be a better way, but I'm not holding my breath.

I always take copies of everything just in case, but they "got" me with the one item that I would never have considered necessary, and which, of course, is never mentioned anywhere that I looked and cetainly not on the bit of paper the Im. office gave me as to requirements.