Jazz Is Jazzier

jbowman1993

Bangkok Post

Friday, February 10, 2006

SUB-COMPACT HATCHBACKS

Jazz is JAZZIER

Toyota has joined the hatch bandwagon with its trendy Yaris, but faces the tough presence of the more rounded Honda Jazz

Honda and Toyota, the country's top-selling car brands, are now fiercely competing in the sub-compact (B-segment) car sector with each player having two cards to play with: a four-door saloon and five-door hatchback.

Late last year, we pitted the City ZX against the Soluna Vios and concluded that the Honda sedan was, once and for all, the better choice.

Despite its gawky proportions and less-inspiring drive, the City had better levels of practicality, comfort, refinement and value.

Could such a verdict be reflective of this week's comparison, when you consider that the Jazz and Yaris share the same engine, transmission and floorplan as their saloon siblings?

To a certain degree, the answer might be yes. Of course, you could weigh in the styling factor here, since hatchbacks have also become trendy statements among city dwellers.

However, hatchbacks must still be practical and agile to drive around town. And since many first-time car buyers and budget-conscious people will be attracted to their prices starting at some 600,000 baht, the Jazz and Yaris should also offer good value and economy.

Toyota offers six versions of the Yaris, while Honda only has three variants on its platter. Since the Yaris gets dual airbags and various braking electronics standard across the range, there is only one model of the Jazz that can size up here: 1.5 VTEC (AS) priced at 690,000 baht. The closest match for this Jazz would have to be the Yaris 1.5 G costing just 9,000 baht more.

Exterior appeal

Trendy styling is one of the major selling points Toyota is using to promote the Yaris among the new generation of car buyers.

The appearance of the Yaris definitely feels modern and attractive, especially in red livery as seen here. Moreover, the short overhangs and long wheelbase make the car look compact and purposeful.

When the Jazz first hit the Thai market three years ago, it had a similar reception. But today, it is starting to look a tad dull and is beginning to look more like a minivan rather than a stylish hatchback.

Go into detail and such impressions remain. The lights, grille, bumpers and other design elements of the Jazz feel less accentuated than those found in the Yaris. This also explains why a mid-life facelift for the Jazz is due in a matter of weeks.

But it isn't that bad at all in the Jazz. Honda's approach of employing short overhangs still makes the Jazz a well-proportioned hatchback and, in fact, is still a decent-looking car.

Interior appeal

As with so many other types of bodystyles, good-looking design themes usually backfire on practicality. And this applies to the Yaris.

Of course, interior space for occupants inside the Yaris isn't a problem. In fact, it's remarkably spacious inside in terms of legroom, thanks to a wheelbase measuring nearly that of the Jazz.

The setback is the boot. As the exterior appearance suggest, the Yaris has small luggage room only good for handbags. Small cubby holes under the boot floor only help to a small extent.

At least, the rear seats can be pushed forward to increase the boot. But that eats away into legroom for rear passengers. Or you just might as well just fold down the backrests if you're traveling only two up.

This is where the Jazz trounces the Yaris. It has an equally adequate legroom space for all passengers, but with better headroom behind.

More importantly, the Jazz can take more and bigger luggage than in the Yaris. From the outside of the car, you can already note the amount of space between the C- and D-pillars that the Jazz doesn't compromise in terms of interior practicality.

In addition, the Jazz's rear seats can fold flat down, unlike the slightly angled surface in the Yaris. But the headrests in the Jazz must be removed first, in contrast to the Yaris's practical ones that can sink into the seats.

Another unique feature in the Jazz is the ability of the chairs in the rear to fold up to make way for tall objects.

Both cars have countless spaces to store small items, bottles, cans and so forth - thoughtfully designed cabins, in short.

In terms of cabin appearance, the Jazz and Yaris are clearly different. The Yaris has a centrally mounted panel dials, a tapered console housing the air-con controls and two flowing contours on the door panels.

The Jazz, on the contrary, uses a conventional layout as you would find in most other cars. Despite the variation, both have good levels of ergonomics and it would simply just be a matter of taste.

Where the Jazz seems to excel again is in the choice of interior trimmings. The quality of the plastics feels better in the Jazz. The same goes for details like the steering that is both good to look at and hold.

The Yaris attempts to use plastics with grain-like surface as in the Jazz, but has a hollow and cheaper feel. As well, build quality in the Yaris is not as solid as in the Jazz.

In this aspect, the Jazz wins by a substantial margin by gaining on a more spacious and practical cabin, plus a well-built cabin.

Driving appeal

The Jazz and Yaris use the same technologies as found in their respective saloon siblings. Both models use a conventional suspension set-up: front strut and rear torsion beam.

The Yaris gets the Soluna's 109hp 1.5-litre VVTi engine and four-speed automatic transmission, whereas the Jazz uses the City's 110hp 1.5-litre VTEC engine coupled to a more advanced seven-speed CVT with manual-shifters on the steering wheel.

The Yaris stands out here as the better car to drive around in the city. Low-end punch is remarkable even to the point that there is torque steer under hard acceleration. As well, the steering is light and direct making up for a truly agile drive.

You don't feel the bulk of the boot in the Yaris like in the Soluna. The Yaris's compact dimensions make it a doddle to handle in tight back streets and during parking.

Similarly, the Jazz offers sufficient low-end performance, but not as splendidly as in the Yaris.

At least, the Jazz's shove doesn't overcome the chassis's potential.

But what really corrupts when driving the Jazz around town is the steering. Although the electric assistance is just as light as in the similarly-equipped Yaris's, the Jazz's rack is too slow, that is, it requires too much steering input.

At higher speeds, the Jazz displays better driving and road manners. Although there is more tyre rumble than in the Yaris, the Jazz has a more quiet cabin on the overall.

The VTEC engine is more refined than its VVTi counterpart when dragged to high engine speeds. Better is the suppression of road noise in the Jazz when cruising on the highway.

The good part of the Jazz's CVT gearbox is shifting-smoothness and the generous number of forward ratios that makes mid-range punch more responsive and performance more linear.

You only get four cogs in the Yaris, so kickdown doesn't come instantly. Worse is that punch is not readily available in the mid-ranges, meaning that you have to go into kickdown and rev the engine higher up where it becomes punchy again, but dreadfully noisy.

Both cars offer a reasonable amount of grip at high speeds. But go hard into corners and the Jazz feels more balanced. But since such cars are subject to more town-driving, the Yaris's easy and agile driving characteristics help compensate for that shortcoming.

Despite the Jazz (VTEC only) using all-round disc brakes, pedal feel is wooden. And when you crave for more stopping power from high speeds, anti-lock intrudes too early.

The Yaris (with the exception of the four-disc S Limited) uses front discs and rear drums, yet manages to get its act better together with a more progressive action and more bite. On the overall, the Yaris is a fine performer given its sub-compact nature. But in the presence of the more refined and mature Jazz, the Yaris's flaws become even more pronounced. The same goes for the Jazz's blemished steering and brakes.

Monetary appeal

The models tested here are basically 700,000 baht in price and come with the same level of safety features: dual frontal airbags, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake force distribution and brake assist.

You really have to go into detail to spot the differences which, however, would be too petty to mention all of them here (see sidebar).

Where the Jazz gains here is fuel economy. We drove two rounds of the 50km inner ring road in Bangkok with both cars at the same time using 95 unleaded. The Yaris recorded a commendable 16kpl, but the Jazz did a fancier 19kpl

Despite the bumper-to-bumper traffic on some portions, conditions were generally light although the speed was usually under 90kph. That meant the figures were quite optimistic, although you can see where the difference roughly lies.

Our verdict

Without doubt, the Yaris is a new, fresh and attractive choice in this segment. This is surely something that you would hear from the sales people at Toyota showrooms.

Despite being an agile car to drive in the city, whilst attracting people with no families, it has some shortcomings immediately spotted by its archrival.

The Jazz has a more spacious and practical cabin to easily double itself as both a daily and family car. You should be hearing this at Honda outlets. And couple this with a more advanced powertrain, the Jazz is better value.

As said in the beginning, a sub-compact hatchback can't only be about fun and style.

Such vehicles are also under the radar screen of people who are fed up with paying so much for cars in Thailand.

That said, a sub-compact must offer completeness and all-round ability. And it's the Jazz that has them in execution - just like how the City does over the Soluna.

Scanning for the right model

It gets a little tricky if you glance through the complete range of the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris. There are more variations at both the bottom and top end of the line-ups in terms of price, equipment and performance. Here are some key pointers.

There are six versions of the 109hp Yaris and three of the 110hp Jazz VTEC. Not tested here due to performance reasons is the 88hp Jazz i-DSI coming in six forms. This does not include special versions of the Jazz like Safety, Plus and Cool that feature after-market add-ons and unnecessarily up prices.

Models with manual gearbox are the cheapest in each range: Yaris B599,000, Jazz VTEC B622,000 and Jazz i-DSI B513,000. But it's only the Yaris that gets the full safety kit that is standard across the range.

Models with automatic gearbox, but with basic specification include Yaris E (B634,000), Jazz VTEC E (B587,000), Jazz i-DSI S (B548,000).

The top-range Yaris is the most expensive in the sub-compact hatchback segment in S Limited form (B749,000) that highlights xenon lights and 16-inch wheels. The G Limited at B739,000 is still more expensive than any Jazz, but boasts keyless go and leather seats.

Aero parts are standard fitments in all Jazz VTEC models. Only the Yaris S Limited has these racey parts, giving buyers - who find such parts impractical on Thai roads - a good reason to look at the other five models.

Those who don't need VTEC performance for the Jazz can save nearly 100,000 baht for a top-spec, equally-specified i-DSI.

And for those who have already made up their mind for a (any) Jazz, a facelift is due in less than a month.

Don't read too much into it. All I can conclude from this article is that they are pretty much equal, despite the bold healdine. The differences aren't that big and not worth crying over. Oh, Jazz's brakes are not so good, oh, Yaris has less boot space, or Jazz is not so agile for city driving and so on.

Don't read too much into it. All I can conclude from this article is that they are pretty much equal, despite the bold healdine. The differences aren't that big and not worth crying over. Oh, Jazz's brakes are not so good, oh, Yaris has less boot space, or Jazz is not so agile for city driving and so on.

I agree with that, but I'd never buy a Yaris, the moment I saw them mount the instruments over the center console, I was dead set against it. Who came up with that stupid idea? I would go crazy, having to glance to the left everytime i wanted to check my speed.

Stupid stupid stupid :o

I agree with that, but I'd never buy a Yaris, the moment I saw them mount the instruments over the center console, I was dead set against it. Who came up with that stupid idea? I would go crazy, having to glance to the left everytime i wanted to check my speed.

Stupid stupid stupid :o

A year ago I would have agreed with you. I hired a Solluna, which also has the centre-mounted dash display. I did nothing but bitch about it!

But, this year I was looking at a new car, and I was basically choosing between City and Solluna (what else is there for that price?) And, if you get the top-spec Solluna it has a digital display, like in an F1 car! - which is cool as...

Needless to say I chose the Solluna, it's not as strange as you think and, the dispay is angled so that only you can see it - this is great if your better half is a back-seat driver.

You get used to looking in the different direction - infact it is much further up than one mounted on the drivers side - so it is easier to look at, without being too distracted from the road. Rally cars have their in the same position.

The really weird thing is if you look into a similair sized car after you are used to the centre-mounting then it looks sort of cluttered.

Tell me I'm talking <deleted> if you want! Before I had my car I would have totally agreed with you - but I know I love it now!

Edited by Grant

• 3 weeks later...
Those who don't need VTEC performance for the Jazz can save nearly 100,000 baht for a top-spec, equally-specified i-DSI.

i'm not much of a speed freak....i can't imagine ever going above 80 or 90. would it be worth it to pay an extra 100,000 for the vtec?

can anyone make the above quote a bit more clear to someone who doesn't know anything about engines?

thanks.

i'm not much of a speed freak....i can't imagine ever going above 80 or 90. would it be worth it to pay an extra 100,000 for the vtec?

can anyone make the above quote a bit more clear to someone who doesn't know anything about engines?

thanks.

The VTec refers to variable Valve adjustment, i.e when you rev up the engine, the valve timing changes, giving the engine more power. This effect kicks in at about 4,000 rpm. As you're not going faster than 80 or 90 I could hardly figure that you ever get into that range, so rather save your money.