What's Going On ? Plates Again.

arthurwait

First of all, are white plates still taking 3-4 months ?

The reason I ask is the missus bought a new motor and less than a month later I ask where the car is and get told it's at the car manufacturers head office in Bangkok to get it's new plates, we don't live in Bangkok.

I've read on here about things that are said to be happening with this issue.

Anyway I told her these things and her brother has picked the car up. It would now have been about a week and a half and nothing, so should it take that long anyway?

I said to her that the plates should be obtained from the province she lives in but she said it's registered to one of the Bangkok addresses.

So the questions are:

1. Is it possible to get white plates within a month ?

2. Would it take one and a half plus weeks to get the process done ?

3. Are manufacturers who sell less cars in Thailand not having to wait as long or does everyone just go to the back of the queue ?

4. Something else ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, are white plates still taking 3-4 months ?

The reason I ask is the missus bought a new motor and less than a month later I ask where the car is and get told it's at the car manufacturers head office in Bangkok to get it's new plates, we don't live in Bangkok.

I've read on here about things that are said to be happening with this issue.

Anyway I told her these things and her brother has picked the car up. It would now have been about a week and a half and nothing, so should it take that long anyway?

I said to her that the plates should be obtained from the province she lives in but she said it's registered to one of the Bangkok addresses.

So the questions are:

3. Are manufacturers who sell less cars in Thailand not having to wait as long or does everyone just go to the back of the queue ?

4. Something else ?

You dont usually buy a car from the manufacturer, you buy it from a dealer. Some cars do have delivery times of a few months due to delivery delays.

This has nothing to do with the plates. Yes, it takes some time to get the white plates, but in the meantime you can drive the car on red dealer plates.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry I'm a bit tired and may not have written the post too well.

The car was bought from a dealer, but from the main branch in Bangkok which is also supposed to be the head office for the country due to it being the only dealer that would do test drives.

I wrote manufacturer as not to name the company. Supposedly not a good thing here.

Car has been delivered/picked up about a month ago after 3 months wait. Yes it was/is on red plates , but then the dealer head office called and said they need/ will the car to change the car to white plates. After a week and a half (as said car has been picked up still on red plates) this has not been done.

Is this normal ?

Edited by arthurwait

White plates do take a couple of months in Bangkok now. The official told me (a few months ago) that this is due to the first-car incentive by the government and many people buying new (first) cars now. I dont know about the provinces but can imagine the same.

In the meantime, you can drive your car on the red plates. They dont really need the car back to change the plates (you could this this if they sent you the plates bt EMS), but I guess they want to ensure they get their red plates back.

Thats the draw-back of buying new vehicles cross-province.

White plates do take a couple of months in Bangkok now. The official told me (a few months ago) that this is due to the first-car incentive by the government and many people buying new (first) cars now. I dont know about the provinces but can imagine the same.

In the meantime, you can drive your car on the red plates. They dont really need the car back to change the plates (you could this this if they sent you the plates bt EMS), but I guess they want to ensure they get their red plates back.

Thanks.

Is the length of time - one a half weeks or more normal for them to do it ?

And for them to request the car to do it within a month ?

So the questions are:

4. Something else ?

1. I got my plates within a month, but at times it may take longer, even up to 3 months.

2. If I understand your question correct, it takes about one and a half minute to fit on the white plates.This can even be done by post e.g. : you send back the red plates by EMS and receive the white ones together with your blue book in return.Don't forget to claim back the deposit you paid for use of the red plates.

3. I never heard about that since the registration happens with the local transport department and is first come first served.Nothing to do with nationwide.

4. I smell a rat.

Thanks.

Is the length of time - one a half weeks or more normal for them to do it ?

And for them to request the car to do it within a month ?

I'm not sure I understand your question. If they ask for the car to be brought to the showroom so they can exchange the red plate against the white plate, it will take a minute and a half (or a few minutes...).

If they ask the car to be there for a week and a half, make sure you know how many miles were on the odometer before you gave it to them - chances are they rented it out. There is absolutely no reason for them to keep the car overnight, because they will only ask you to come in after they have the white plates in their hands.

• Like 1

White plates can't be issued until the selling dealer presents the DLT with a paid invoice for the car... whistling.gif

So? The invoice will either have been paid by the buyer or by the finance company.

That invoice only proves you (or the finance co.) paid the dealership.

In order to get white plates issued, the dealer must prove that they have paid the factory and all taxes for the car.... There's *always* a wait on a new car because the dealers are often paying for them either on flooroplan finance (which they may choose to stretch out for cashflow reasons) and also on an account basis - which can be up to 90 days.

Doesn't take more than a day to fix White plates. Dealer calls when plates are ready and you take the car to them, they exchange the Red plates for Whites that they have got from the DLT. I would ask to see the car, probably being fixed after an accident by the brother. :rolleyes:

Edited by Payboy
  • Like 1

My white plates still not arrived after 5 months . We do have the nr it is supposed to be , but the dealer we called yesterday said they still weren't there yet . No red plates here , so driving around without plates whatsoever .

My white plates still not arrived after 5 months . We do have the nr it is supposed to be , but the dealer we called yesterday said they still weren't there yet . No red plates here , so driving around without plates whatsoever .

Yes, happens all the time. First the dealer sits 9-0 days on the money, after that the white plates are ordered and there are problems with the delivery. 6 months delivery time is really no exception at the moment.

In order to get white plates issued, the dealer must prove that they have paid the factory and all taxes for the car....

This is clever and had not occurred to me before. Could be the whole reason for the delays and not because it is impossible (sic) to produce license plates quickly enough.

I understand it is illegal to drive out of province with red plates is this correct? Then another reason not to do cross province shopping.

Your brother in law took your new car back to Bangkok a few weeks ago to get the white plates fitted by the dealership.

I see.

clap2.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

I've still got the red plates on after 7 months.

I did hassle the dealer a couple of months ago, he's answer was, "you don't start paying road tax until it's got a plate".

I'm not sure of this, but either way I haven't had a problem with the red plates and I do at least 600kms a week in and out of provinces.

Luckily my white plates were issued about 6 weeks after I collected my car from the dealer in BKK.

(Incidentally, I note that there is a new numbering system for vehicle registration plates, with a numerical digit preceeding the 2 thai characters).

I've still got the red plates on after 7 months.

I did hassle the dealer a couple of months ago, he's answer was, "you don't start paying road tax until it's got a plate".

I'm not sure of this, but either way I haven't had a problem with the red plates and I do at least 600kms a week in and out of provinces.

We bought a new vehicle in April. The book and rego sticker were issued in June. We recived these two items in June. The plates were received in October. When you do receive your plates check the date that the tax was paid.

White plates can't be issued until the selling dealer presents the DLT with a paid invoice for the car... whistling.gif

So? The invoice will either have been paid by the buyer or by the finance company.

That invoice only proves you (or the finance co.) paid the dealership.

In order to get white plates issued, the dealer must prove that they have paid the factory and all taxes for the car.... There's *always* a wait on a new car because the dealers are often paying for them either on flooroplan finance (which they may choose to stretch out for cashflow reasons) and also on an account basis - which can be up to 90 days.

Sure. But I am talking about the delay between getting the car back to the dealer for affixing the white plates (I understand the dealer called and asked for the car so that they can affix them), and getting the car back. This doesn't take weeks, the dealer needs the car for a few minutes (make that half an hour with waiting time).

You are aware that driving without plates is illegal in Thailand, are you? The dealer must give you red plates. Never mind any fines, but you are driving totally uninsured. I hope you have enough cash in the bank in case of an accident with a third party.

Luckily my white plates were issued about 6 weeks after I collected my car from the dealer in BKK.

(Incidentally, I note that there is a new numbering system for vehicle registration plates, with a numerical digit preceeding the 2 thai characters).

I saw a picture in a newspaper when they announced that this is what the new plates will look like. Haven't seen one on the streets yet, though.

It is a shame that they don't switch to Latin characters in order to facilitate cross-border driving in the AEC. Cambodia switched from assigning Khmer letters to Latin letters a few years ago.

• Like 1

You are aware that driving without plates is illegal in Thailand, are you? The dealer must give you red plates. Never mind any fines, but you are driving totally uninsured. I hope you have enough cash in the bank in case of an accident with a third party.

No connection between insurance and plates. It happens a lot these days that the dealers simply don't have any plates anymore, so quite a few people driving around without plates right now.

No connection between insurance and plates. It happens a lot these days that the dealers simply don't have any plates anymore, so quite a few people driving around without plates right now.

How is there no connection? The red plates are insured, and you have to write down the vehicle number and the driver's name into the accompanying book.

Without the plates, how are you insured?

And even if you were, you'd be illegally driving a vehicle without licence plates on a public road, so any insurance is automatically void.

How is there no connection? The red plates are insured, and you have to write down the vehicle number and the driver's name into the accompanying book.

And even if you were, you'd be illegally driving a vehicle without licence plates on a public road, so any insurance is automatically void.

There are exceptions for new vehicles

I have a new m/c ...... took 3 months for Tax and book to show up ...... still no plates.

Insured by the dealer who sold it to me ..... not my problem.

If an insurance company issues the policy to you, it's insured, unless you have defrauded them. You not having a license plate on your vehicle does not increase their liability. I think they are more interested in the VIN number than the license number.

• Like 1

All not true, without plates you can be insured, the car is insured, not the plates.

I checked with my insurance company to be sure about this some time ago, how about you, did you come up with this after checking anywhere?

All not true, without plates you can be insured, the car is insured, not the plates.

I checked with my insurance company to be sure about this some time ago, how about you, did you come up with this after checking anywhere?

I didn't check with the insurance company in Thailand, I just assumed they have the same rules as in Europe about illegally driving a vehicle on the road. If they have different rules here, I stand corrected.

Did you actually insure your car before you got the plates? I'm curious now.

I didn't check with the insurance company in Thailand, I just assumed they have the same rules as in Europe about illegally driving a vehicle on the road. If they have different rules here, I stand corrected.

Did you actually insure your car before you got the plates? I'm curious now.

Yes, insurance came with the car, but plates did not, not available. No problem checked with the company and was told all was ok, even going on road trip and driving at night, and received this in writing.

In general it is not a good idea to assume they have the same rules as in Europe about anything.