Gaza Crisis: Un's Ban Calls For Ceasefire After Israeli Airstrike Kills Civilians

News_Editor

Gaza crisis: UN's Ban calls for ceasefire after Israeli airstrike kills civilians < br />

2012-11-19 12:48:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) -- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Sunday called on all parties in Israel and Gaza to cooperate with Egypt and reach an immediate ceasefire to end the escalating conflict, hours after an Israeli airstrike flattened a residential building and killed 10 civilians.

Sunday was the fifth and bloodiest day of attacks, with Israel carrying out airstrikes on the Gaza Strip while Hamas militants in Gaza continued to fire rockets at Israel. One person was injured in Israel and at least 26 people were killed in Gaza on Sunday alone, raising the week's death toll in the Gaza Strip to at least 64 with more than 550 people injured.

"This must stop. I strongly urge the parties to cooperate with all efforts led by Egypt to reach an immediate cease fire," Ban said in a statement released by his office. "Any further escalation will inevitably increase the suffering of the affected civilian populations and must be avoided. I am heading to the region to appeal personally for ending the violence and contribute to ongoing efforts to that end."

The call for a ceasefire came hours after an Israeli airstrike flattened a residential building in the Naser district of Gaza City, killing 10 people from the same family, including 5 children and 4 women. It is believed the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) bombed the building by mistake due to a technical error, instead having targeted the house of a senior Hamas militant in charge of the group's rocket firing teams.

Israeli military officials were reluctant to discuss the incident, but the Al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, strongly condemned the deaths and promised to strike back. "The massacre against the Ad-Dalo family will not go unpunished," the group said, later adding that it was shelling Israeli cities and bases in response.

Ban expressed his concern about the violence on both sides and urged all parties to stop. "I am deeply saddened by the reported deaths of more than ten members of the Dalu family, including women and children, and additional Palestinian civilians killed as a result of the ongoing violence in the Gaza strip," he said. "I am also alarmed by the continuing firing of rockets against Israeli towns, which has killed several Israeli civilians."

According to the IDF, Hamas militants fired a total of 146 rockets at Israel on Sunday, including 105 rockets which impacted and 41 rockets which were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system. The Iron Dome system uses sophisticated radar to track, intercept and destroy incoming missiles.

Israel earlier authorized the mobilization of up to 75,000 army reservists, adding to fears that Israel is preparing to launch a ground invasion of the Gaza Strip if the violence continues to escalate. Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Sunday said such an invasion would have "serious repercussions", and warned this would be unacceptable to Egypt and the international community.

In the winter of 2008-2009, Israel launched a surprise attack on the Gaza Strip which marked the beginning of a three-week military conflict between Israel and Hamas, killing nearly 1,500 people and leaving thousands more injured and displaced. Israel stated its aim was to stop rocket fire from and arms import into Gaza.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-11-19

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Israel gives 36-hour ultimatum to Hamas

JERUSALEM: -- Israel has warned Hamas it will step up its offensive in the Gaza Strip in 36 hours if they do not cease rocket fire.

Israeli Finance Minister told IDF radio that the time left before Israel escalates its attacks can be measured in “hours, not days.”

‘The situation is surreal, but that is the reality we live in’ – Gaza-Israel conflict

People are terrified to death, death tolls are rising, as the violent conflict between Israel and the Palestinians continues for the sixth straight day, despite diplomatic talks in Egypt.

On Sunday a bomb rocketed from Israel hit a two-story home of Jamal Dalu, a shop owner, and killed his entire family: his sister, wife, two daughters, daughter-in-law, four grandchildren ages 2 to 6, along with two neighbors, an 18-year-old and his grandmother. Mr. Dalu was himself at a neighbor’s when the tragedy happened.

The attack was condemned by Hamas rulers as a “massacre” that “exceeded all expectations.”

“The wanted target in this case was responsible for firing dozens of rockets into Israel,” a spokesperson for the Israeli military said. “We are committed to the safety of the citizens of Israel.”

The same Sunday Israelis were awoken by a new torrent of Palestinian rockets, some of them knocked out of the sky by the so called Iron Dome missile defense system.

Full story: http://english.ruvr....matum-to-Hamas/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2012-11-19

footer_n.gif

36 hours is fair warning. Now up to Hamas.

Then what?

It would be nice if it were that simple though I agree.

But if they once again stop the rocket attacks

Will Israel ever stop their expansion & illegal annexing of lands?

It is a vicious circle & does not seem to have an end.

• Like 2

Here is a good article showing the damned if you do damned if you don't position Israel are in. They supposedly have western support, but not for a ground invasion, though without one Hamas can't be neutralized so such 'support' is meaningless. Best do what Israel used to and ignore world opinion imho.

http://melaniephillips.com/between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place

Here is a good article showing the damned if you do damned if you don't position Israel are in. They supposedly have western support, but not for a ground invasion, though without one Hamas can't be neutralized so such 'support' is meaningless. Best do what Israel used to and ignore world opinion imho.

http://melaniephilli...nd-a-hard-place

Ignore world opinion? You don't remember they needed the world (US and UN) to establish their country in the first place?

Israel's point of view which is quite rational is that survival is more important than being loved. Of course both would be nice but not in the cards. I know, I know, Israel does indeed have a strong military but in my opinion if they didn't, they would no longer exist. Israel is well aware that much of the world would be thrilled if they no longer existed, but that's another story.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Different media reports from Egypt. Gaza and Israel indicate that negotiations on ceasefire are going on.

According to these, all sides (Hamas and Islamic Jihad represented separately, a first, I believe) started from almost impossible sets of conditions. That by itself isn't unusual in Middle East negotiations, but some of it does sound (if reports are indeed correct) as if all parties are not quite there as far as their willingness to compromise is concerned. Then again, always need to talk tough for public opinion's sake.

The Egyptians are hard at it, and more power to them for their efforts, regardless of their own interests in the conflict. Remains to be seen if they can actually broker a deal. I daresay no one has high hopes for the duration of any such ceasefire, though.

• Like 1

Then what?

It would be nice if it were that simple though I agree.

But if they once again stop the rocket attacks

Will Israel ever stop their expansion & illegal annexing of lands?

It is a vicious circle & does not seem to have an end.

Gaza was not annexed, it was handed unilaterally to the Palestinians, who have not stopped firing missiles since. This has nothing to do with lands being 'annexed'. beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 2

Gaza was not annexed, it was handed unilaterally to the Palestinians, who have not stopped firing missiles since. This has nothing to do with lands being 'annexed'.

I do not think this whole deal can be served ala carte

This "problem" will have to be addressed as a whole.

Eventually............

Nothing like a few strong words from Ban to make both sides shiver with fear. rolleyes.gif

Right, just look at Assad quaking in his boots, whilst slaughtering hundreds DAILY. sad.png

Gaza is a nice little diversion for Ban.

"He's like a bad chef in a cheap kitchen" - Supreme Leader Admiral General Aladeen :rolleyes:

The Egyptians are hard at it, and more power to them for their efforts, regardless of their own interests in the conflict. Remains to be seen if they can actually broker a deal. I daresay no one has high hopes for the duration of any such ceasefire, though.

Agreed & I hope something comes from it.

But as always even after a cease fire there needs to be talks & acceptance on both sides.

A big sticking point is the UN upgrade of Palestine's status to a non-member state

which will also allow Palestinians to file complaints at the International Criminal Court.

The world has voted on this & it is clearly going to happen

• Like 1

"Israel has warned Hamas it will step up its offensive in the Gaza Strip in 36 hours if they do not cease rocket fire".

It's a tough one though. On the one hand stop trying to murder Israeli civilians and by doing so avoid large numbers of your own being killed, or have a Pallywood extravaganza sponsored by Al-Jazeera. One hour from the deadline I expect a rain of missiles.

hours after an Israeli airstrike flattened a residential building and killed 10 civilians.

I think this is the residence mentioned

http://www.aljazeera...2933654975.html

Actually reporting 12 from a single family

You are correct. Apparently due to a faulty airstrike. Whatever that means ? blink.png

There is a picture in this link of the remnants of the residence.

http://www.haaretz.c...remium-1.478887

Edited by Scott

"Israel has warned Hamas it will step up its offensive in the Gaza Strip in 36 hours if they do not cease rocket fire".

It is just plain wrong what Israel is doing.

So true.

• Like 2

http://melaniephilli...nd-a-hard-place

Sorry, "used to do"?!

smile.png

A big sticking point is the UN upgrade of Palestine's status to a non-member state

which will also allow Palestinians to file complaints at the International Criminal Court.

The world has voted on this & it is clearly going to happen

I seriously doubt this has much to do with the Palestinian UN bid.

The Hamas isn't exactly supportive of the PA's move, and wasn't a major part (if at all) of the international effort concerning this.

When Israel goes against the Palestinians, the usual result on the international diplomatic front is increased support for the Palestinian cause. If anything, an invasion will improve the Palestinian chances of getting their way.

Not that savvy on the legal issue you brought up, but as far as I understand this goes both ways - might explain why the Hamas leadership isn't all that in favor. Either way, this doesn't seem to be a major issue from the Israeli point of view, rarely comes up in the media.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1