Where To Buy: Double Edge Safety Razor

jkfkr

Put me down as a dinosaur as well, nothing shaves like a double edge safety razor.

The ones I found here were rather cheap metal, very light weight, almost like tin. Wifey bought a few for me when I was bemoaning the loss of my decades old safety razor, given to me by mr Grandfather and he has been dead for well over a decade..

Was on a short trip back to Oz and went to Shaver Shop and bought a heap of them as presents (29 AUD). Came back and have passed on as presents to two brothers of wifey (as monks at Chedi Luang, and her father). A bit tacky of me but I bought them gold plated ones in presentation boxes which they love (Chinese/Thai), stainless steel for me.

Ah, no offence intended, jkfkr.

Hopefully you will find what you're looking for.

But if you have never tried a Blue 3 (swivel head, ergo handle, lube strip, 3 blades) you don't know what you are missing.

Canadian dude at my gym who never ever used disposables, dinosaur in shaving matters....tried them and is a total convert now.

Went from looking like Richard Nixon in the presidential debates 1960 (5 o'clock shadow, lost him the election) to a face like a baby's butt.

Try one, just one time, and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 1

But if you have never tried a Blue 3 (swivel head, ergo handle, lube strip, 3 blades) you don't know what you are missing.

Canadian dude at my gym who never ever used disposables, dinosaur in shaving matters....tried them and is a total convert now.

Went from looking like Richard Nixon in the presidential debates 1960 (5 o'clock shadow, lost him the election) to a face like a baby's butt.

Funny you should mention this.

As per my previous post my (late) one was given to me by my grandfather.

Anyhow, cut a long story short, he spent a few days in hospital before he passed away and young (to him) nurses would shave him with a 3 blade disposable in record time. He was always fresh with the ladies and spent some time bemoaning that he had not been to hospital many years earlier to meet them and also that they would have given him several weeks of free time to familiarize himself with them in every way possible with the time he would have saved once he calculated how long it took him to shave with a safety razor verses a 3 blade blue disposable. While others convert to Catholicism on their death bed, he converted to disposables.

He was an absolute cad...and a gem.

His had a golden rule for women, called the 16/65 rule. Under 16 protected by law, over 65 protected by nature, anything in between was fair game.

Still a safety razor man here though...though wifey does think I am odd with the lengthy morning ritual.

And...Mapguy...I have a straight edge as well (for back of neck)...its a leap of faith to get wifey to do this but nothing shaves as well.

Edited by mamborobert

Excellent thread, gents! Posts are in double digits and still on topic. That's rare.

I'll try the Gillette Blue right away.

Here's my contribution: skip the shaving cream cans, cup and brush, etc. I've tried them all and

nothing works as well as baby oil - like Johnson & Johnson from 7-11 or whatever. Glide on, dude.

If you want your face to be smooth as a baby's butt, you gotta use what the baby's butt uses.

I am far from an old man, but I love my double edged safety razor. I tried a straight edge but that didnt end well...

I have a hard time finding decent shaving soap out here though. Canned goop is not an option and I am on my last stick of soap from back in Australia (no visitors in sight either!).

Ideally I would like some proraso or speick shaving soap... does anyone know if the barber shop mentioned above happen to stock any?

Edited by DaBloodyMess

Funny you should mention this.

As per my previous post my (late) one was given to me by my grandfather.

Anyhow, cut a long story short, he spent a few days in hospital before he passed away and young (to him) nurses would shave him with a 3 blade disposable in record time. He was always fresh with the ladies and spent some time bemoaning that he had not been to hospital many years earlier to meet them and also that they would have given him several weeks of free time to familiarize himself with them in every way possible with the time he would have saved once he calculated how long it took him to shave with a safety razor verses a 3 blade blue disposable. While others convert to Catholicism on their death bed, he converted to disposables.

He was an absolute cad...and a gem.

His had a golden rule for women, called the 16/65 rule. Under 16 protected by law, over 65 protected by nature, anything in between was fair game.

Still a safety razor man here though...though wifey does think I am odd with the lengthy morning ritual.

And...Mapguy...I have a straight edge as well (for back of neck)...its a leap of faith to get wifey to do this but nothing shaves as well.

Amen to your last note! biggrin.png

I have been using the cheap plastic double edged shavers and blades for years - just so easy to clean. Perhaps not as good as shave as a multi-blade shaver but how do you clean the multi blades between the blades. The girl friend's toothbrush is not a viable answer . I get a couple of shaves out of them and then i have to replace the blades , makes it expensive . I will use a BIC multi blade disposable if i am going to a function though but nothing beats the the double edge for cleaning , just dismantle and clean under running water.

Edited by xen

Southside of moat, directly opposite the old market, where the songtaews stop, you'll see a shop with loads of salon/barber chairs outside.

That shop is good for buying cheap Feather blades (my favourites), but they don' sell decent quality razors, brushes or soaps - unfortunately. I was unable to buy these things anywhere in Chiang Mai and ended up getting them all from ebay. I am extremely happy with the Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L that I bought for very little off ebay. I thoroughly recommend this one, but not available in Chiang Mai...

Where to find the best shave in town? Hot towels, lots of lather, straight edge blade - the traditional barbershop shave.

Recently discovered a barbershop at Tha Phae Gate that gives me a very good shave -- no hot towels, no hot water, minimal lather, and double-edge safety razor with a new blade. Not the "traditional" shave, but it works, 100 baht.

ever since my thick hair follicles from the crown of my head decided to migrated to my facial area, the usual march 3 or fusion or other armpit shavers doesnt work very well one me. it doesnt give a close enough shave, and by noon i look like i just completed 3 shift straight

personally i use combi of astra blade and merkur 39c razor, just buy off them a pack of 100 from ebay and use usps, pretty dam_n cheap than those cartridges shit

really, nothing beats shaving using a de with warm lather in the morning

Edited by barefoot1988

Amazon, search for "double edged razor".

I've got a Merkur, adjustable long handle, excellent.

This is what I would have done (and probably will do in the summer if I don't find another way) in Finland, but here I'm too worried that the package will be lost. Is that an unjustified fear?