Random Walking Street Assault By Thai Male

WhalerJoe

This object was thrown at me on walking street Sunday night, November 25, 2012, by a Thai male with whom I had not had contact of any kind. This attack was completely unprovoked. Had it hit me in the eye I may have been blinded.

He threw it at me in passing without speaking to me.

When I reported it to the "police" on walking street, they refused to listen to my complaint, and I was threatened and driven away.

So I have chosen to publicise this threat to public safety via this web site.

Visit Pattaya Walking street at your own peril.

post-44435-0-14414100-1353878100_thumb.j

post-44435-0-09949400-1353879111_thumb.j

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bloody hell what is that thing? Looks like some sort of grappling tool for scaling buildings.

Did any other passers by say anything? Sad that the police didnt do anything. Did you try the tourist police?

The guy was probably mafia hence the police attitude. Glad you came through unscathed.

Where abouts on WS did this happen?

I recovered the object from my right forearm and so was able to present it to the police and when they aggressively rejected my claim, I was able to keep it to post online. It is a 9 barbed fishing lure and very nasty object as you can see in the photo. I was happily enjoying my time there when this thing struck me out of the blue. I looked around and saw the Thai male hastily escaping down the lane.

There is an underlying culture of violence against visitors in Thailand that is not acknowledged by the local safety officials that needs to be addressed.

Edited by WhalerJoe
  • Like 1

It is likely he is mentally ill or he was stoned on drugs or alcohol. Don't get hung up on the fact he was a Thai or that it occurred in Thailand. Incidents like this can happen anywhere in the world. What is deplorable is that your report to the police was not treated with the seriousness that was warranted.

• Like 1

Seemed to recall a similar incident where this Thai guy started laying into this chap on WS for no apparent reason. Was on drugs from memory.

The important thing is you are safe. Maybe try making the video like that evil krabi man one. Just saying it may get more attention in the form of a song.

Amazing. This sort of thing has never happened to me in 20 years in Thailand. Apart from TV I have never heard of this happening. Me and my 50+ friends must be incredibly unlucky.

Me either. Maybe it is because I am only half Irish.

lohere.JPG

Edited by Ulysses G.

Bloody hell what is that thing? Looks like some sort of grappling tool for scaling buildings.

Did any other passers by say anything? Sad that the police didnt do anything. Did you try the tourist police?

The guy was probably mafia hence the police attitude. Glad you came through unscathed.

Where abouts on WS did this happen?

Why does it matter what part of WS it was alleged to have happened? If he says outside living dolls 2 what would your reaction be?

There is an underlying culture of violence against visitors in Thailand that is not acknowledged by the local safety officials that needs to be addressed.

Just not true... I never encountered any such negativity or attack against me in all my years that I come to Thailand... and Walking Street is on my program almost every time...

So, OP, maybe you should think about why such a thing can happen to you???

• Like 1

Just not true... I never encountered any such negativity or attack against me in all my years that I come to Thailand... and Walking Street is on my program almost every time...

You want to tell us how many days out of the 365 each year you stay in Walking street, so we can decide if you're considered a reliable Walking street expert or not.

Considering you come on holiday, that might be 14 days out of 365 ? Failed.

Edited by jbrain

The OP's story can't be true.

I have read over and over again that Waliking street is a safety zone and declared crime free by all security organisations involved.

OP, are you sure it didn't happen just a few meters outside the safety (crime free) zone ?

• Like 2

You want to tell us how many days out of the 365 each year you stay in Walking street, so we can decide if you're considered a reliable Walking street expert or not.

How about 2-3 months a year for more than 5 years now in every season possible and knowing lot of people who go there / live there and never encounter that kind of problems?

My personal opinion: you look for trouble, you find trouble... and that includes being too drunk in the wrong places at the wrong time of day

Been living here 2 years and in Walking Street very often, never had any problems. I have never had to deal with the tourist police on Walking Street but I am shocked that they wouldn't help you, maybe you should have called the news guys and then they would have listened. Foreigner attacked on Walking Street by Thai man is a good headline for them, if they would be given permission to run it.

The OP's story can't be true.

I have read over and over again that Waliking street is a safety zone and declared crime free by all security organisations involved.

OP, are you sure it didn't happen just a few meters outside the safety (crime free) zone ?

Maybe OP subconsciously stepped over the invisible dotted line.

Not surprised about the reaction from the BiB. Nothing in it for them. Evil man of walking street, video may make them sit-up and take notice though. :(

Been living here 2 years and in Walking Street very often, never had any problems. I have never had to deal with the tourist police on Walking Street but I am shocked that they wouldn't help you, maybe you should have called the news guys and then they would have listened. Foreigner attacked on Walking Street by Thai man is a good headline for them, if they would be given permission to run it.

Well, I live here a tenfold of those 2 years and for almost half of them I've been to walking street every night untill the wee hours and never had any problems.

But what I, and probaly most of us that live here did was, arriving through the Marine plaza end of walking street as that is the only convenient parking area and then move on to one of the disco's or some familiar gogo bars.

However when I for some reason to walk up and down Walkingstreet occassional, I noticed strange behaviours.

It does look menacing up close. But then hearing 'fishing lure' kind of takes the impact out of it.

:)

Not if it connectected with your eyeball it wouldn't take the IMPACT out of it

But this sort of thing happens everywhere BUT the Police having no interest in pusuing the matter is Very Disturbing

Or was it the Foreign Volunteers who are Not Police ??

Excellent! I opened this thread just to see how long it would take to blame the victim. I thought four posts......

• Like 1

How about 2-3 months a year for more than 5 years now in every season possible and knowing lot of people who go there / live there and never encounter that kind of problems?

My personal opinion: you look for trouble, you find trouble... and that includes being too drunk in the wrong places at the wrong time of day

Hmm, so in your opinion if a thai girl has a couple of drinks and gets raped by a nigerian while out one night its her fault then?

Maybe u should tell that to thais u meet and see what reaction u get

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Funny how we get all these posters saying because nothing has ever happened to them then the victim must have brought it on himself.

Wake up random attacks do happen but they are not commonplace so odds are nothing will happen to you but if you are unlucky or in the wrong place at the wrong time certainly anything is possible.

Not sure what the police could have done in this situation as the guy has run away and no real damage was done. Still they could have at least appeared sympathetic i suppose !

• Like 2

"Visit Pattaya Walking street at your own peril."

Indeed. If you dont have things thrown at you then you will surely be overcharged within an inch of your life, or indeed just be bored to death.

Beats me why anyone goes there.

Because it can be fun.....maybe?...when in the right mood.