Which Are The Best Italian Food Restaurants In Chiang Mai?

rene123

The Chiang Mai sub-forum seems totally dedicated to places to eat and dine out. So, I'm sure there should be lots of replies to this topic. I enjoy Italian food but I have to watch my figure. Pasta tends to go straight to my hips if I eat too much of it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Girasole

2. Da Stefanos

3. Billy's

In no particular order. I might add that this is based on pasta and other Italian dishes. For example, Billy's has eggplant parmigiana. I haven't seen it elsewhere. I don't recommend pizza at any of them. No place I've been to here can top the Dukes for pizza.

Enjoy!

my favourite Italian is "ko Lanta" soi 5 Nimmen.

I am a pizza nut, and tried many, and many just dont cut it......find myself returning here each month.

Pizzas made to your choice, thin and crispy, or thick and soft; or "ko Lanta own style" all pizzas cooked in wood fired oven..........how many other places can boast that.

enjoyed the Dukes mega pizza last year loy krathong, it was a memorable pizza as I was challenged to eat it all, I did but felt like a pig afterwards. worth trying out, more expensive but like buying 2 pizzas.

1. Girasole

2. Da Stefanos

3. Billy's

In no particular order. I might add that this is based on pasta and other Italian dishes. For example, Billy's has eggplant parmigiana. I haven't seen it elsewhere. I don't recommend pizza at any of them. No place I've been to here can top the Dukes for pizza.

Enjoy!

+1 for Dukes pizza.

my favourite Italian is "ko Lanta" soi 5 Nimmen.

I am a pizza nut, and tried many, and many just dont cut it......find myself returning here each month.

Pizzas made to your choice, thin and crispy, or thick and soft; or "ko Lanta own style" all pizzas cooked in wood fired oven..........how many other places can boast that.

enjoyed the Dukes mega pizza last year loy krathong, it was a memorable pizza as I was challenged to eat it all, I did but felt like a pig afterwards. worth trying out, more expensive but like buying 2 pizzas.

I too, like Koh Lanta. Been going there since they were on Kotchasarn Soi 1. Their chicken lasagna is good (spicy) and so are their pizzas. If there was such a category as Italian restaurants owned/run by Thais with Thai chefs, they would be 1st on the list.

Edited by elektrified

1. Girasole

2. Da Stefanos

3. Billy's

Enjoy!

Good Post. La Fontana is really good too and for Italian style pizza not bad.

For sheer value and quality, it's got to be Billy's on Kampangdin rd. Another long standing favourite of mine is Pom Pui on Moonmuang rd soi 1.- lovely garden setting. Franco's former business partner, Sergio also has a nice little place near Thapae gate named Pizza et Vino. For great pizza and lots more, try Yummy Pizza, run by a very affable Aussie called Tony. He's out on the canal rd toward the junction with Royal Flora. Agree with the suggestion of Casa Antonio as an excellent restaurant on the splurge end price wise. Francescas, also on the canal rd is run by an Italian guy who used to be a partner in the excellent but short lived Osteria Wald restaurant. Wow! So many choices! I'm afraid your hips won't be any smaller once you've waded your way through that little lot! Happy eating!

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have some exploring to do. But, I'll have to go slowly. 10 years ago I could eat anything and everything I wanted, but now I'm rapidly approaching 38 I've noticed a few extra pounds that I don't need.

For sheer value and quality, it's got to be Billy's on Kampangdin rd. Another long standing favourite of mine is Pom Pui on Moonmuang rd soi 1.- lovely garden setting. Franco's former business partner, Sergio also has a nice little place near Thapae gate named Pizza et Vino. For great pizza and lots more, try Yummy Pizza, run by a very affable Aussie called Tony. He's out on the canal rd toward the junction with Royal Flora. Agree with the suggestion of Casa Antonio as an excellent restaurant on the splurge end price wise. Francescas, also on the canal rd is run by an Italian guy who used to be a partner in the excellent but short lived Osteria Wald restaurant. Wow! So many choices! I'm afraid your hips won't be any smaller once you've waded your way through that little lot! Happy eating!

Indeed, so many choices. I'll admit that I haven't tried the 2 or 3 places in Hang Dong that are often mentioned, but have tried the others mentioned and I think some of them are over-priced and nothing special.

The Italian kitchen has culture, like the French kitchen. And what it is with this cultural food is, every region in Italy has its own taste - speciality, herbs and style - and finesse. So,its difficult to compare. When I have diner in a good Italian restaurant, in evert bite I want to taste what is promised on the menu. What is also very important for me is a constant quality. For me the best Italian restaurant is Francesca's located at the canal road between 2e and 3th ring road. La Fontana is also a good choise.

Don't mention an Amercan style pizza an Italian pizza, it's not. Just to much of every ingredient and mostly to salt and to fat, overdone, no finesse and just like so many American food it's unhealthy and has given the pizza its bad reputation.

Edited by Joop50

I am not one for restaurant threads, BUT tongue.png Pedr makes a very good choice with Francescas. Problem possibly: you have to have wheels to get there. It is about 1km south of Mae Hia market on the east side of the road. Look for the "PIZZA" sign. For the rest, I have had both good and bad meals at all of those mentioned so far. The worst service was Antonio's; basically a managerial problem, the food was okay. The worst experience was at Billy's. Rotten food (You really don't want to know!) and service. Could have been a bad night. (An Italian restaurant named "Billy's ?! blink.png) In any case, Chiang Mai is truly blessed with decent Italian restaurants, many not yet mentioned! Go for it! Otherwise, judging from the comments so far, this is pretty much a budget crowd!

Not cheap but absolutely the best Italian restaurant is Casa Antonio.

Where is Casa Antonio?

I always thought that this was owned by the same people that run Giorgio's?

Yes, it is. http://giorgiochiang...casaantonio.php

And I agree it's very, very good.

As for not gaining weight, just don't order the carb-heavy stuff. Pass on the pasta and pizza and you'll be fine.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am not one for restaurant threads, BUT tongue.png Pedr makes a very good choice with Francescas. Problem possibly: you have to have wheels to get there. It is about 1km south of Mae Hia market on the east side of the road. Look for the "PIZZA" sign. For the rest, I have had both good and bad meals at all of those mentioned so far. The worst service was Antonio's; basically a managerial problem, the food was okay. The worst experience was at Billy's. Rotten food (You really don't want to know!) and service. Could have been a bad night. (An Italian restaurant named "Billy's ?! blink.png) In any case, Chiang Mai is truly blessed with decent Italian restaurants, many not yet mentioned! Go for it! Otherwise, judging from the comments so far, this is pretty much a budget crowd!

I've never had a bad meal at Billy's. The place is always packed with people; both Thai and farangs. Almost every time I go there I hear people at a nearby table speaking Italian. That should tell you something.wink.png

As for the name, Billy is the owner and chef. I believe he is 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Burmese or something like that. He is a very nice guy and excellent chef. He and his wife always come to the table to check if everything is O.K. He speaks a number of languages and is a good host. Next time you have a problem, just let him know and he will make it right.

Edited by elektrified

My exact thought on Billy's. Not an Italian name so immediately suspect (although I admit I have not been there and would not go there with that name). My favorite is Restaurante Italiano Pulcinella da Stefano (often just called Stefano's) (now there is a real Italian name run by an Italian) very centrally located next to Gecko Books within a short walk of TP Gate. Punch & Judy decor (which gives the place its name). The owner is there all the time and watches over quality like a hawk. Good service, reasonable prices and authentic Italian food, excellent gelato. Try the 3 course special meal for B 350; it's a great bargain. A nice starter is the parma ham with melon (a serving large enough for 2 people). Yummy!

I have mixed feelings about "Why Not" which is on Nimmanhemin Soi 11. Nice place, especially outdoor seating but food is so so and a bit pricy. I had a not so good pizza there (following a good pasta dish). Service was a bit pretentious.

Also excellent is Prego run by a Thai cook who worked in Italy for many years. It is in the old city. Prices are a tad on the high side, though, maybe because it is in the tourist zone and often frequented by them. The chef is friendly and often brings dishes to the customer himself.

NOTE: many people here seem to equate Italian food with pizza. It is far more than that! AND, the Italians taught the French how to cook.

Edited by TheVicar