Monitoring Electricity Consumption

Mekong Bob

Does anyone have the current rates (Thai baht per kWh kilowatt-hour) of the Provincial Electric Authority in Chiang Mai Province? Is there a 2 or 3-tier system of rates? Are 3-phase systems charged a different rate?

Here's a great little meter (see photo and link) that measures individual appliances in a 110-120 V environment. Anyone found such a meter for use in 220-240V Thailand?

post-28863-0-78964400-1354331145_thumb.j

From memory 3 phase and higher amperages are charged at a higher rate, but the better informed my know different.

It's not quite as simple as that. Sure, higher amperage is charged at the commercial (higher) rate. Also depends whether a 'private' transformer. I myself can never figure it out, we have a private single phase transformer at one of our properties, a 3 phase public transformer at another property. The rate charged is very different.

Electricity tariffs PEA

http://www.pea.co.th...ctricityTariffs

Sorry seem to be some problems with that page, but you can get the info by using the drop down menu at the top for "electricity tariffs"

This one gets the residential rates - http://www.pea.co.th...ame=Residential

My averages are between 500 and 600 units per month and actual cost per kWh, not including VAT and FT, is 3.6 Baht/unit. The last 6 months shown below.

post-566-0-03670400-1354368237_thumb.jpg

Interesting Tywais ... my last month's actual cost 4.65 (3 phase pubic), 4.29 (single phase private), and 4.66 baht (3 phase public) at my 3rd property. That price includes all the ++. These are all commercial property rates. Your 3.6 baht would be very welcome to me.

Interesting Tywais ... my last month's actual cost 4.65 (3 phase pubic), 4.29 (single phase private), and 4.66 baht (3 phase public) at my 3rd property. That price includes all the ++. These are all commercial property rates. Your 3.6 baht would be very welcome to me.

If you add all the ++ to my above bill (VAT + FT), the last month did cost 4.39 Baht/Unit so sounds in agreement. I only posted the PE rate in the last column for units charged and the cost. May add the total costs per unit in my sheet to give a better over feel for my charges.

Electricity tariffs PEA

http://www.pea.co.th...ctricityTariffs

Sorry seem to be some problems with that page, but you can get the info by using the drop down menu at the top for "electricity tariffs"

This one gets the residential rates - http://www.pea.co.th...ame=Residential

My averages are between 500 and 600 units per month and actual cost per kWh, not including VAT and FT, is 3.6 Baht/unit. The last 6 months shown below.

post-566-0-03670400-1354368237_thumb.jpg

According to the note at the bottom that page was last updated in 2007. I believe the rates were increased sometime in the last 12 months though where to find the current ones are I don't know. My total bills (Inc FT and VAT) work out to about 4.2 Baht per unit

I believe the rates were increased sometime in the last 12 months though where to find the current ones are I don't know.

Believe that was in May based on this article.

Power bills set to surge

Friday 4 May 2012, 11:40AM

The adjustment will see the fuel adjustment tariff (FT) rise by 30 satang a unit, raising the price per unit of electricity for households by 8.6 per cent, from the current B3.50 to B3.80.

For households, electricity rates are set to rise to B2.57 a unit from B2.27 now.

Rates for higher usage will also rise. For example, rates for use of 100 to 150 units a month will go up to B3.53 a unit, 151 to 400 units will cost B4.04, and over 401 units will cost B4.24.

The chairman of the Energy Regulatory Commission, Direk Lawansiri, announced the rises after the commission met to discuss the FT rate for the next billing period, from May to August.

He said that in order to fully cover rising fuel costs, the FT charge should actually increase by 57.45 satang.

However, the commission had asked EGAT to swallow 19.05 satang of the cost increase per unit. The remaining 8.4 satang of the difference would be covered by capital remaining from the investment budgets of the state electricity utilities during 2008 and 2010.

Source

And looks like another round coming up and approved for Sept-Dec meeting.

The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) yesterday approved an increase of 18 satang per kilowatt-hour in the cost of electricity during the September-December round, with a promise of further hikes in the next three periods to reduce subsidies by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat).

"The Ft [fuel tariff] is likely to increase further in the next rounds, on rising fuel prices and a weakening baht," said Direk Lawansiri, chairman of the ERC.

"Next July, the base charge will also be reviewed. To reflect the actual cost, Egat, the Metropolitan Electricity Authority and Provincial Electricity Authority will be required to reveal detailed costs of each power plant. The current Ft could also be brought down to zero, as it would be included in the base charge."

This week, the subcommittee overseeing the price of electricity agreed on a rise in the Ft by 38.24 satang per unit, against a proposal of 45 satang. As the Ft was raised less than asked, Egat will have to shoulder Bt10.5 billion in subsidies for this round, on top of the Bt14 billion carried over from the previous four-month round.

The Nation September 7, 2012 1:00 am