The Queue Starts Here Please?

jonnyscot

Don't you love it when after 10 minutes queuing at the post office for collection of a package with a couple of people still in front of you a local walks in goes straight to the front of the queue places their id and the package docs on the counter and the staff proceed to serve them ahead of the other customers,, I suppose it's not just limited to the post office,, but the point is they just don't seem to give a <Snip!>,

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've my bed in LOS, gotta put up with it I guess, still I have to admit the pros far outweigh the cons,, just my gripe for the day although i don't normally start until i negotiate the traffic,, guess I should stay on the farm more often where I'm much more cool and calm.

Jonny

Try China. There is no queue and if you want service you'll find yourself wrestling with an 80 year old lady with sharp elbows. Even when you get to the front you need to have special blocking skills and a LOUD voice to get service.

Ah the Ninja grannies I used to be so fond of, remember many occassions being assaulted with an umbrella ....LOL

Relax, Queue jumping is a National Sport here, if it was an Olympic Sport, Thais would win Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Obviously you have never been to China or Hong Kong....Thailand strictly amataurs.

Agreed!

And, someone mentioned the Middle Kingdom? I've never heard of a country called the Middle Kingdom. Where, pray tell, is it?

Yeah the Chinese are the masters. Once trying to get on a moving (like 7mph) bus in Beijing, grabbed the handrails and in the half second it took me to pull myself up two old dears had leapt on under my arm! Have to see it to believe it.

In Thailand? Push straight in. After all, I'm just the big, dumb farang, everyone expects you to be an ignorant &lt;deleted&gt;. Railing against reality will just get you blowing a gasket.

Relax, Queue jumping is a National Sport here, if it was an Olympic Sport, Thais would win Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Obviously you have never been to China or Hong Kong....Thailand strictly amataurs.

Agreed!

And, someone mentioned the Middle Kingdom? I've never heard of a country called the Middle Kingdom. Where, pray tell, is it?

Isn't that where the Hobbits live?

Agreed!

I seem to remember learning that it was the name they gave to their own land. I may further imagine that they see themselves historically as somewhere between heaven (whose mandate is given to and taken away from their leaders according to the fates of history) and earth (which would be all of the other countries that are lower in physical as well as metaphorical elevation).

http://en.wikipedia..../Names_of_China

China is called Zhōngguó in Mandarin Chinese. The first character zhōng (中) means "central" or "middle," while guó (國/国) means "state" or "states," and in modern times, "nation." .....Many Western works, however, use the translation "middle kingdom" or "central kingdom."

Edited by impulse

Try China. There is no queue and if you want service you'll find yourself wrestling with an 80 year old lady with sharp elbows. Even when you get to the front you need to have special blocking skills and a LOUD voice to get service.

Ah the Ninja grannies I used to be so fond of, remember many occassions being assaulted with an umbrella ....LOL

Experience is everything and, if that doesn't work then you can remind people of your age and social stature. I seen BIG men step back from little old ladies in China and I don't think the request was very polite!

'Pushit'

Try Nigeria

Haha,, been working there for the last 2 odd years,,

The difference with Thailand is most Thais or a high % (where we stay anyway) are respectful and do follow the queuing system,, where as in Nigeria at least you know what to do as its a free for all stampede to get to the front

Jonny

Interestingly enough, the two only cases of blatant queue/line skipping I have witnessed at the BTS are by westerners...

The first instance was a guy that laughed when asked to go to the back of the queue/line - Would have taken it a step further and physically confronted him if I wasn't afraid of getting infected with the AIDS virus (or any other numerous STDS) he must have.

The second instance was a group of three women (looked very much like cheap prostitutes), but I was much too far behind to say anything to them.

Agreed!

Middle Kingdom....CHINA......they like to think they are the center of the world!

once in SF on a street car platform with a queue an old chinese woman came scurrying up and attempted to barge in...a western man in a suit holding a briefcase barred her way and silently indicated the end of the line and the chinese lady then scurried around him...there was a murmur of disapproval...

meself I still had a ways to go to get home in the East Bay and needed a beer...

In India, on the other hand, there is a trick available for couples. Most places with queues have a "Disabled and women only" queue (seriously). When we were in India I would get my wife, walk her in front of me to the front of that queue and then....they would deal with me because they find dealing with women almost impossible when there is a man to deal with!

I've found those nasty old ladies go down hard when you kick them behind the knee, usually step on their hands for good measure while I'm passing them, they now know the score.

As to the cashiers I ask them politely in Thai why they ignored me and let the Thai person push in, is this the official shop policy that they don't want foreigners there or just that they personally hate foreigners and don't want to serve them, where is the manger? The cashier of course just doesn't want a confronation with the Thai asshol_e so that is what I give them so they can see that letting in queue jumpers does in fact lead to that after all, only worse in spades.

Doing nothing just encourages it, being violent (except those rotten old ladies) helps nothing, I just give them what they were trying avoid. If everyone did this how long till the manager gets bored and tells them to not allow it?

• Like 1