Do I Need Dentures? Opinion Please.

thaibeachlovers

Basically, due to the huge fillings that were used when I was a child, most of my teeth have had to have root canals done. Unfortunately, a few have had to be extracted which left me with a gap and 3 molars on one side.

Now, the middle one of the three has partially broken off down to the root, so doubtful I can have a crown on that tooth.

The dentist told me that if I had the remainder of the broken tooth extracted, it would lead to the other 2 eventually falling out.

I realise that an implant would be the best solution, but that is absolutely unaffordable for me.

So, my choices would seem to be hoping for the best with two gaps, a partial plate for the one tooth, or taking all three out and getting a denture.

Whatever I do now, it is probable that more dead teeth will also be breaking in the future. I already had small pieces of tooth replaced with fillings on 3 teeth.

I don't want to have dentures, though I don't know if that is unavoidable eventually, but having breaking teeth is not very good either.

Any advice ( especially from those that do have dentures ) gratefully received.

Cheers.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Why not wait untill you have to have them. No point in getting a few back ones if you are going to need more soon.

I have had dentures since I was 15 Tried to bite the highway. Highway won.

I would wait put it off has long has you can. A few back teeth aint goimg to make you look stupid .

Oh dear, you have been in the wars. Why not get the manky one extracted and then have a bridge crown anchored on the two remaining teeth on that side? Obviously an implant would be better, I've just paid for two for my wife, but they are out of reach for many people unfortunately. However when it comes to your body you really should give yourself the best treatment available. If I were you I would pay the extra for the implant. Its a superficial world we live in and while I may not agree with it, impressions do count unfortunately and people do look down on Westerners with massive gaps in their mouth. Sad but true.

I got dentures about 2 years ago, my teeth were much like yours seem to be, I got all my teeth extracted save one (2 trips, 1 would have been horrendous). At first (like 6 months) I absolutely hated them and survived on soft foods but with a new overseas assignment I was forced more or less to wear them most of my waking hours and to begin eating whatever I could. Things are fine now, I can eat just about anything and I have a great smile, have even slept with them on occasion since I do feel so comfortable with them. My opinion is to go for it but your mileage may vary. Dental work and dentures were done in Thailand btw. ( not a single person excluding those very close to me have a clue I wear dentures either)

impressions do count unfortunately and people do look down on Westerners with massive gaps in their mouth. Sad but true.

Me no problem thenbiggrin.png , as I am very tall to Thais, no one could look down to my gaps in the bottom teeth.....

2004 had a lot of work down here, did have a part plate on the top for about 30 years with 2 teeth on.......... here had more bad teeth removed and then a bridge and crowns, very good... 1x front tooth was screwed in and kept falling out so had to do something.

Bottom have 2 teeth missing one side and 3 the other, I have dentures that clip on to the good teeth, had them made many years ago, had them replaced with the metal type in UK in 2000, and adjusted here a few times, but just cannot get comfortable with them, last 4 years have not even tried, guess they would not fit now..

My part plate covered only 1/2 of the roof of my mouth + were plastic, many times would burn the roof of my mouth not covered...... with what I know now, if I had my life over again would do my up most to not have dentures, if you have had root canals done do not have cheap screw type teeth put in, done that, they don't work.........now a day use something different for the root canals filling if screws/pins are being used.

2004 2x new root canals done, 1x bridge and 7 crowns...... total cost was 60k here.

Edited by ignis

set up the appointment with a dentist ASAP! Actually, also crown those root canal treated teeth you still have left. My dentist always crown my root canal treated tooth, she said it is dead and will definitely break without a crown.

• Like 1

set up the appointment with a dentist ASAP! Actually, also crown those root canal treated teeth you still have left. My dentist always crown my root canal treated tooth, she said it is dead and will definitely break without a crown.

Thats ok, as long as you can afford to pay for the crowns. I get the impression the OP doesnt have very much money. I've just had a couple of crowns and they cost nearly 20k each. Small change for most of us, but not if you are on a very low income.

Even if the OP chose the cheapest ones at around 10k each he would still need 70k, and I get the impression that sum is far beyond his means.

Edited by Kananga

Well, my root canalled teeth have lasted many many years without crowns, but probably would have been better to have crowns done at the time.

Thanks to all that replied.

I have been to see the dentist and am going to have an operation to prepare the broken one. Then will have 8 teeth replaced with posts and crowns. Total cost over 100,000 baht, but I really don't want dentures, so must bite the bullet

The choice now is between stainless steel and porcelain on metal crowns. Does anyone have stainless? How are they? Any "taste"?

100,000 baht for 8 posts and crowns!!! Thats cheap. Looks like you will be back in a couple of years. If you are going to do these things do it properly. A proper high grade porcelain crown will cost at least 15k, even in Thailand. So thats 120,000k before you even consider the posts at approx 5k a pop at a lower end of the market dentist.

100,000 baht for 8 posts and crowns!!! Thats cheap. Looks like you will be back in a couple of years. If you are going to do these things do it properly. A proper high grade porcelain crown will cost at least 15k, even in Thailand. So thats 120,000k before you even consider the posts at approx 5k a pop at a lower end of the market dentist.

Looks like you will be back in a couple of years...... Why ?

All my crown done here are NOT high grade porcelain crowns, but plastic type, still perfectly good and never had a single problem since they were put in early 2004.. All my front teeth are crowns and a bridge so well used every day.

On the other hand I had 2 high grade porcelain crowns fitted in the UK years ago [VERY expensive], they had to be re fitted at least 1x a year, they would fall out or come loose, best thing I every did was get ride of them for plastic type ones here..

I have been to see the dentist and am going to have an operation to prepare the broken one. Then will have 8 teeth replaced with posts and crowns. Total cost over 100,000 baht, but I really don't want dentures, so must bite the bullet

Well maxme gives good advice and I know he is well connected and knowledgeable in that area.

Can you be more exact with that pricing of "8 teeth replaced with posts and crowns. Total cost over 100,000 baht" ... I know that can't be right.

How many teeth are going to be replaced, and how many crowned?

What are you paying for each crown and ...

Wwhat for the 'posted' or replacement/artificial teeth each?

Thats ok, as long as you can afford to pay for the crowns. I get the impression the OP doesnt have very much money. I've just had a couple of crowns and they cost nearly 20k each. Small change for most of us, but not if you are on a very low income.

Time to hit the piggy bank with a mallet for the OP methinks....

Well maxme gives good advice and I know he is well connected and knowledgeable in that area.

Can you be more exact with that pricing of "8 teeth replaced with posts and crowns. Total cost over 100,000 baht" ... I know that can't be right.

How many teeth are going to be replaced, and how many crowned?

What are you paying for each crown and ...

Wwhat for the 'posted' or replacement/artificial teeth each?

Local dentist has crowns at 5,000 baht. On the other hand, I could pay 4 times that at an expensive C M clinic. Likewise, posts cost between 2,500 and 15,000, depending where one goes.