Fishing And Adventures

Hi folks,

I'll try not to rave on too much about my "dreams" of starting a business in Thailand (phuket), but would welcome any straight forward answers to my ideas.

I would like to start a fishing charter business aimed at Australian 2/3 week holiday makers, comming to phuket (Patong usually) on their annual leave, and for the guy who is sick of sitting on the beach ( with his missus and possibly kids) watching all the fat, ugly and disgusting (not all of course but gee there are some shockers) near naked bodies walking up and down the sand.

I want to buy a boat, maybe only 5 metres long (aluminium if possible), is all we use in Oz, and take it out and around from say Patong to NaHarn, showing an aussie bloke a real day out fishing. Genuine aussie blokes dig their fishing (specially on holidays) and i get the feeling from web sites/forums etc etc that the aussies not happy with the local set ups. Too expensive, too boring, and the thais couldnt give a F@%#.

I've done the sums and do wonder why the thais charge so much for a day fishing, probably because they chew up so much juice in those HUGE wooden or fibro heavy boats they use to take everyone 20/30 miles out to sea. Or more than likely the farang bit has something to do with it also. Not necessary. Most aussies are happy to sit anywhere so long as they catch a fish or two, not the size of a SHARK either.

I would like to offer say a days fishing, guaranteeing they WILL CATCH FISH (i know what im doing), if they dont then they will be invited back to my joint for a piss up and a feed of fish I will buy from the markets, with them by my side, giving them a full experience per say. Hence the adventures bit of the topic title.

Im not out to make a killing just make a few bucks to keep the bank (me)happy and surviving in this great paradise, phuket. Give a fellow aussie (and/or any other nationality for that case) an interesting, exciting, informative, fun day out on the water, with a piss up at the end to really secure some new friendships, and of course repeat business and follow ons.

I am interested in any feedback, good bad or indifferent as any advise is helpful. I know a solicitor is the best/next step, or as guy said to me yesterday, the police are the ones i should be talking to, they run the place, no one else...

your thoughts please, ta, chops

Sounds great. Get a Boat and off you go. Great to live in Paradise! :o

(Oh, but don't forget the non-B-imm visa, work permit, company incorportion, 7 shareholders minimum, 2 million baht company capitalization, vat registration, monthly income tax, witholding tax deduction for every service/transportation expense, monthly accounting, yearly audit, half-year reports, renewal fees of work permit, 90 days visa runs, monthly filing of social security, income reports, vat reports...)

and - a corporate address - a floating one will not do! :D

Just a few problems with your idea, regardless of the legal obstacles.

Few would be interested in going "Charter Fishing" in a 16 foot "tinnie".

And what self respecting BG is going to accompany her newfound teerak on an open boat ? :D

Also, there just aren't many fish in the waters around Phuket like there are in Oz. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Ever thought what might happen to you when you start taking business away from the local Thai fishing guys? The least that could happen is that your shiny new boat gets a very large and terminal leak... :D

I don't know if those guys would want to tangle with "Chopper" :o

post-18822-1140062294.jpg

Edited by Old Croc

Hi folks,

I'll try not to rave on too much about my "dreams" of starting a business in Thailand (phuket), but would welcome any straight forward answers to my ideas.

I would like to start a fishing charter business aimed at Australian 2/3 week holiday makers, comming to phuket (Patong usually) on their annual leave, and for the guy who is sick of sitting on the beach ( with his missus and possibly kids) watching all the fat, ugly and disgusting (not all of course but gee there are some shockers) near naked bodies walking up and down the sand.

I want to buy a boat, maybe only 5 metres long (aluminium if possible), is all we use in Oz, and take it out and around from say Patong to NaHarn, showing an aussie bloke a real day out fishing. Genuine aussie blokes dig their fishing (specially on holidays) and i get the feeling from web sites/forums etc etc that the aussies not happy with the local set ups. Too expensive, too boring, and the thais couldnt give a F@%#.

I've done the sums and do wonder why the thais charge so much for a day fishing, probably because they chew up so much juice in those HUGE wooden or fibro heavy boats they use to take everyone 20/30 miles out to sea. Or more than likely the farang bit has something to do with it also. Not necessary. Most aussies are happy to sit anywhere so long as they catch a fish or two, not the size of a SHARK either.

I would like to offer say a days fishing, guaranteeing they WILL CATCH FISH (i know what im doing), if they dont then they will be invited back to my joint for a piss up and a feed of fish I will buy from the markets, with them by my side, giving them a full experience per say. Hence the adventures bit of the topic title.

Im not out to make a killing just make a few bucks to keep the bank (me)happy and surviving in this great paradise, phuket. Give a fellow aussie (and/or any other nationality for that case) an interesting, exciting, informative, fun day out on the water, with a piss up at the end to really secure some new friendships, and of course repeat business and follow ons.

I am interested in any feedback, good bad or indifferent as any advise is helpful. I know a solicitor is the best/next step, or as guy said to me yesterday, the police are the ones i should be talking to, they run the place, no one else...

your thoughts please, ta, chops

Before you start to do any thing, take a drive downto ban Ta Hong , south of Prachuap, you can see a wonderful 5.5 metre Quintrex Bow Rider being used as a flowerbed in a front garden, the owner had the same idea as you have, but the locals convinced him of the error of his ways, I was going to purchase the boat , but the 3 metre hole in the keel put me off, Nignoy

Good luck...but I have to tell you the fishing in north Queensland beats the absolute living daylights out of anything you will find in Thailand. As much as the locals like to complain, the fish stocks there are in very good nick (generally and relatively speaking).

couldnt agree more about nth queensland, am from sunny whitsundays myself and yep great fishing, but a hel_l of alot cheaper over here... and no bloody stingers (irakanji). Cant go swiming for 5 months of the year over there... the spear fishing is ok round NaiHairn???

Good luck...but I have to tell you the fishing in north Queensland beats the absolute living daylights out of anything you will find in Thailand. As much as the locals like to complain, the fish stocks there are in very good nick (generally and relatively speaking).

You wouldnt get a work permit for a start. So after you set up your Thai company limited, you would need to hire a Thai to run the business. But you shouldnt have any trouble at all doing this so long as you keep pumping money into the business. Believe me. The Thais will welcome you with open arms till you run out of money. Very, very high risk venture and doomed to failure IMHO.

Sounds like a nice dream but there is the matter of a lack of fish. I know expats who go all the way to Australia to go fishing. Fully equipped charter boats here (ten meter boats) often come back empty handed.

Well m8 that is your fire well and truly pissed on.

As they said sounds great until you actualy think properly about it.

Sit down like the rest of us thinking of that wonder idea.

Mike :o

Los for good living ,but definitely qld for the fishing, just got back from the front of Bribie good feed of Tuna and spanish mackeral, have to make do with freshwater fishing in Los :D but then the beer and food is better :D nignoy