The Bitch Is Back: Elton John Shows Why He's A Legend: Bangkok

webfact

The Bitch is Back: Elton John shows why he’s a legend

By Barbara Woolsey

010-578x385.jpg

Photo: BEC-TERO

I don’t care what anyone says, Sir Elton John is one of the greatest rock stars of all time.

In the late ’60s he broke (and gender-bended) the mold, with his over-sized glitter-y glasses and bedazzled dinner jackets. A lot has changed since those days but there is still something impressive and iconic about the man that was born Reginald Kenneth Dwight. Back then, there were questions about his homosexuality – that hasn’t been the case for some time now. He’s lovingly dubbed Auntie Elton, media queen, the godfather (godmother?) of Sean Lennon and the Beckham kids and known for publicly tearing into Madonna on more than one occasion.

But at the end of the day, despite brushes with the paparazzi, he is most importantly, a singer-songwriter legend. It’s no mistake Elton John’s career has spanned four decades with over 250 million records sold worldwide. This became very apparent to me at his concert Thursday night at Impact Arena.

I was raised on the jukebox by my father, true-blue rock ‘n’ roll from the ’60s and ’70s, so I went into this pretty well-versed in the Book of Elton, or so I thought. But seeing him live in concert only made me love him even more.

He opened with “The Bitch is Back”, setting the energy high off the top. There he was in the flesh, with the tinted glasses (though considerably smaller since the ’70s) and a signature long black jacket with lots of sparkles. There he was belting, “I can bitch, I can bitch, ‘cause I’m better than you” and I believed every word. He is larger-than-life, oozing with attitude and I never, ever want to piss him off.

Yes, he’s a diva but he’s Elton <deleted> John. He has every right to be!

He quickly followed with gusto into an obvious crowd-pleaser, “Bennie and the Jets.”

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...y-hes-a-legend/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-14

footer_n.gif