37% Object To Broadcast By Thaksin: Poll

Lite Beer

37% object to broadcast by Thaksin: poll

The Nation on Sunday

About 37 per cent of people view the appearance of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra on the state-run NBT channel as inappropriate, a poll by National Institute for Development Administration (Nida) revealed yesterday.

The group of respondents said the channel was used as a political tool by Thaksin who was still a convicted person fleeing the penalty. However, almost 14 per cent of respondents said the appearance was appropriate as it is his personal right and the air time was bought by a private company.

The controversy erupted on Sunday after NBT aired a boxing match from Macau, presided over by Thaksin, who made a speech rebutting critics who questioned his loyalty to the Thai monarchy.

Former supreme commander General Chaisit Shinawatra on Friday said he had sought a royal pardon for using the "King's Cup" title in the boxing match without having received royal authorisation.

The Nida Poll was conducted on Thursday and Friday among 1,270 respondents nationwide.

More than 40 per cent of respondents said they believed Thaksin's live appearance on NBT was planned in advance while almost six per cent of respondents believed it was a coincidence that the former PM happened to be in Macau when the boxing event was held.

Following Thaksin's appearance on the channel and heavy criticism, the organisers and the NBT said they had not been aware of an invitation to Thaksin to preside over the event and be shown live on TV.

The poll showed almost 40 per cent of the respondents believed the government interfered with the Thai broadcast media, who could not freely present news, and headlines and news stories were distorted. About 14 per cent said they believed there was no interference as the media are independent agencies and have their own code of ethics.

Chaisit, a cousin of Thaksin who was one of the boxing event organisers, said he had sent a letter to the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary seeking a royal pardon.

Chaisit explained that no King's Cup was given, but Lt-Colonel Kulthon Prachuapmoh, an organiser, incorrectly said on stage that the winner would be presented with the King's Cup.

Chaisit said the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary had demanded that he write a letter seeking a royal pardon for using the title "King's Cup" without prior authorisation.

"The Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary reminded us about the issue several days ago. As chairman of the event, I had to take responsibility. I've sent a letter seeking a royal pardon," he said.

"Thaksin appearing live on NBT was another matter," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-16

So the majority 63% approved, cool.

When can he come back and sort out the drugs plague and the war in the south?

I seem to remember the last time he did that a couple of thousand people lost their lives.

His involvement in the south left Tak Bai & Krue Sae as famous names. My Lai?

• Like 2

Don't look now but, "37% object to broadcast by Thaksin" means 63% do not object.

The article says only 14% felt the appearance was appropriate. Having said that I still say polls are meaningless.

Maybe the rest don't understand the question.

What the hell has a poll got to do with this. You don't hold public referendums on points of law. Either the news channel broke the current broadcasting law or it did not. Who the hell cares whether a section of the Thai public object or not. It should be decided by a point of law and not public opinion. Just more smoke screen and partisan BS on behalf of that hedonistic svengali living abroad on the spoils of his manipulative and corrupt activities. The only reason the good shephard Thaksin tends his flock is simply to take them to market. Wake up Thailand.

For once I'm in agreement, T is like a fly that keeps buzzing around your face.

Just when you think you've swatted him away, he's back.

I also don't care much for polls either but I wonder what the data gap will look like in another 5 or 10 years?

Ask this Q:

"So, what do you think of LBJ?"

"Who? JLB? Ohhhh yeah like, for sure, ha ha. OK, Ummmm, yeah, she's ok, got a big butt and she's really old now, ummm, but like yeah, she's ok".

911 will just be the # you call for police/fire/ambulance emergency.

December 7th is 18 days before Christmas.

Bill Clinton is the best president in recent history (MSNBC).

Ronald Reagan is the greatest president of all time (Fox).

Tricky Dick is a beat box rapper on America's Got Talent.

Mohammed Ali.... isn't he the terrorist Obama killed in Pakistan?

Edited by 55Jay

The blatant disregard for Royal protocol is glaring.

That Thaksin used the ocassion to defend his previous questionable record whilst at the same time having no permission to have a King's Cup simply highlights his disregard.

A clear shot in the foot as it was removed from the mouth.

As forn the poll - totally irrelevent.

I seem to remember the last time he did that a couple of thousand people lost their lives.

A couple of thousand dead drug dealers and muslim insurgents, look at the bigger picture.....How many terrorist murders and drug deaths per year in Thailand? Thaksin was working for the greater good of the Thai people.

Don't look now but, "37% object to broadcast by Thaksin" means 63% do not object.

Surely, 37% do positively object when asked, the remainder might not object, or much-more-likely simply don't give a da*n either-way ?

If they don't give a dam_n either way, surely that means they don't object?

I saw this on the news and if I recall it right, the most of the Thai don't care about it, so what's the big deal?

No big deal to most of the Thais as they didn't see it. They didn't get rich in 6 months after Thaksin got elected and can't afford a TV.

The big question is how much did Thaksin pay for the poll?wai2.gif

A couple of thousand dead drug dealers and muslim insurgents, look at the bigger picture.....How many terrorist murders and drug deaths per year in Thailand? Thaksin was working for the greater good of the Thai people.

You are obviously new here the Muslims he murdered were not terrorist's and 1,500 of the supposed drug dealers weren't drug dealers. Some of them were people just like you.

• Like 2

I saw this on the news and if I recall it right, the most of the Thai don't care about it, so what's the big deal?

No big deal to most of the Thais as they didn't see it. They didn't get rich in 6 months after Thaksin got elected and can't afford a TV.

Are you aware that almost all Thai households have a Television?

And then you make the allegation that the former PM paid for a poll.

And you expect to be taken seriously when you present such nonsense?

Edited by geriatrickid

Are you aware that almost all Thai households have a Television?

And then you make the allegation that the former PM paid for a poll.

And you expect to be taken seriously when you present such nonsense?

Sorry I forgot Thaksin attacks are a sore point with you.

You didn't comment on the going to be rich any particular reason.

14% approve, 37% disapprove - which means that 49% are apathetic or ignorant. Sounds about right.

I asked my Thai brother-in-law if he knew the difference between ignorance and apathy - he said "I don't know and I don't care."

You are obviously new here the Muslims he murdered were not terrorist's and 1,500 of the supposed drug dealers weren't drug dealers. Some of them were people just like you.

So why is drug dealing and muslim insurgency rising and plaging the country since the cop? You seriously carn't blame that on Thaksin. I carn't beleive you are so blinkered against the great man of the people, most Thais love him dearly.