Aeon Bank Atm

advancebooking

Homeworks AEON ATM is an outside ATM Machine, not too much People around (even less at night). It would be a great place to put a Skimming Device. Much safer to stay in line at Tesco North Pattaya.

interesting thought

however this machine has been around since God was a lad

John Logie Baird personally fitted the screen to it

its next stop will be a museum

its so old that if anyone strapped anything new to it, it would stand out like a sore thumb

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homeworks AEON ATM is an outside ATM Machine, not too much People around (even less at night). It would be a great place to put a Skimming Device. Much safer to stay in line at Tesco North Pattaya.

Fake keypads and skimmers are not that difficult to detect. You should cover your fingers as you type your PIN anywhere you go.

....however you can avoid the queues at Tesco if you pick the right times of the day and week. I can't give specific information on this, but many times I've gone there there were no queues at all. Homeworks is always my first choice and Tesco a backup plan if it is offline as I live on the South side of town.

OK thanks guys, yeah ok HOMEWORKS, got it.

That is the mistake I made, I did not think the shabby one was an AEON ATM, now I know, cheers.

... and keep a 2nd option in mind as, like most ATM's, you could find it offline as I have on a number of occasions.

Went there today, "This ATM is currently offline" was on the screen. I'll go to Big C now and if no success then back to Tesco.

That is the mistake I made, I did not think the shabby one was an AEON ATM, now I know, cheers.

... and keep a 2nd option in mind as, like most ATM's, you could find it offline as I have on a number of occasions.

Went there today, "This ATM is currently offline" was on the screen. I'll go to Big C now and if no success then back to Tesco.

Great, Another report of it being offline. The first time I mentioned that I got a barrage of unfriendly replies suggesting that I must be lying because they had never seen it offline.

I've caught this machine offline so many times that I never go there expecting it to be online. Being an isolated ATM I would expect more problems there than at the main branch at Tesco.

Great, Another report of it being offline. The first time I mentioned that I got a barrage of unfriendly replies suggesting that I must be lying because they had never seen it offline.

I've caught this machine offline so many times that I never go there expecting it to be online. Being an isolated ATM I would expect more problems there than at the main branch at Tesco.

Went to Big C around 4.30 PM, no queues, straight on the machine.

Now it is definitely confirmed that the Big C one will only dispense a maximum of 20 notes there too. It is also confirmed at the Tesco ATM's (the one on the left) is also a maximum of 20 notes.

As others have said, you could probably do 2 withdrawals to get 40K out but if your home bank is charging per withdrawal it might start getting a bit expensive.

I wonder why these limits have come in this year, last year no limits. Anyone know?

Just an update on these machines. In the last 2 weeks I have tried each of the AEON ATM's in Pattaya, today was the second machine at Tesco. I can confirm that the Big C one and both AEON ATM's at Tesco will only dispense a maximum of 20K in one hit now. They have all be reprogrammed and are not like in the past where you could draw out 30 to 40K in one hit.

The one at Homeworks was offline yesterday so I don't know what that one will dispense. From what others have said it looks like it may still do 30 to 40K hits.

The one at Homeworks was offline yesterday so I don't know what that one will dispense. From what others have said it looks like it may still do 30 to 40K hits.

20K max per pull.

That contradicts Blackman's post.

I'm not concerned about whose post it contradicts. You won't get more than 20 k per pull out of that machine.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if the change has hit all of AEON's ATMs as yet...

But from my own experience and the reports of various other members, AEON clearly is adopting a new limit of 20,000 baht per withdrawal at their machines.

Now, assuming one's own bankcard has a high enough daily limit, there's absolutely nothing to prevent one from doing a 20K withdrawal, taking your card out, putting your card back in again, and doing a second 20K withdrawal.

I'm not sure if the change has hit all of AEON's ATMs as yet...

But from my own experience and the reports of various other members, AEON clearly is adopting a new limit of 20,000 baht per withdrawal at their machines.

Now, assuming one's own bankcard has a high enough daily limit, there's absolutely nothing to prevent one from doing a 20K withdrawal, taking your card out, putting your card back in again, and doing a second 20K withdrawal.

Sure, you can do multiple withdrawals of 20k, but if a charge per withdrawal is applied by the home bank the deal is not nearly as sweet. People have been using AEON machines to save on fees, so this is a step in the wrong direction.

I agree about that. But, there are still a lot of no-fee ATM/debit cards available out there, depending in part on one's home country.

I have a variety of home country bank cards, but none of them charge a % foreign currency fee or a flat fee for using other banks' ATMs.

Considering that I was going to be living outside my home country, it seemed both logical and cost-prudent to end up with accounts and bank cards that don't charge those kinds of fees and/or rebate them at month's end.

In the case of AEON, I'm just glad they continue to be the only ATMs widely available in Thailand that don't charge their own local withdrawal fee of 150 to 180 baht per transaction when a non-Thai bankcard is used.

• Like 1

I agree about that. But, there are still a lot of no-fee ATM/debit cards available out there, depending in part on one's home country.

I have a variety of home country bank cards, but none of them charge a % foreign currency fee or a flat fee for using other banks' ATMs.

Considering that I was going to be living outside my home country, it seemed both logical and cost-prudent to end up with accounts and bank cards that don't charge those kinds of fees and/or rebate them at month's end.

In the case of AEON, I'm just glad they continue to be the only ATMs widely available in Thailand that don't charge their own local withdrawal fee of 150 to 180 baht per transaction when a non-Thai bankcard is used.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I turn up there one day and find the local fee is applied.

Are you sure your foreign bank doesn't make some profit out of currency exchange?

Edited by tropo

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I turn up there one day and find the local fee is applied.

Are you sure your foreign bank doesn't make some profit out of currency exchange?

Well, it's been some years since the Thai banks began charging the foreign card 150 baht fee, which now has become 150 baht for VISA cards and 180 baht for MCs... And AEON, which is NOT a Thai bank, continues to have no withdrawal fees at its ATMs.... Never say never...but....

Meanwhile, the best a consumer can do with bank cards is to get the VISA or MC network rates (which usually are better than banks' buying TT rates) for international transactions. And there are certainly available bank cards out there that provide those rates and don't deduct any fees, either % foreign currency fees or flat amount $ ATM withdrawal fees.

VISA and MC make a profit off of all their foreign exchange activities, since it's built into the network rates they offer. Card issuing banks make a profit off of POS purchases, since they get part of the fee paid by the merchant. But I'm not sure if the card issuing bank, if it's a no-fee variety, makes any profit off of no-fee ATM withdrawals (like those of AEON) made at other banks.

20K max per pull.

That contradicts Blackman's post.

I'm not concerned about whose post it contradicts. You won't get more than 20 k per pull out of that machine.

tropo is 100% correct. Today the Homeworks machine was online and I used it, maximum withdrawal was 20K.

All 4 machines in Pattaya are 20K maximum withdrawals.

• 3 months later...

tropo is 100% correct. Today the Homeworks machine was online and I used it, maximum withdrawal was 20K.

Sorry to report that the AEON ATM at Home Works in South Pattaya has been taken away.

Edited by tropo

Sorry to report that the AEON ATM at Home Works in South Pattaya has been taken away.

Yes I went the other day after reading there was one there, as far as I could see there was just 1 ATM machine Bank of Bangkok I think, and no AEON

Yes I went the other day after reading there was one there, as far as I could see there was just 1 ATM machine Bank of Bangkok I think, and no AEON

It was a very old machine - it had to go. I doubt they will replace it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got news, if you still believe (as I did until 10 minutes ago) that AEON doesn't charge a fee, check your statement and do the conversion against MC or Visa websites. Here's mine and clearly show they do, surreptitiously.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667451-atm-machines-and-larger-withdrawals/?p=7214973

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/custServicesChannel.do?channelId=-9294&selectedChannels=-8758,-8757,-9294〈=en

That last link is disturbing. I made several withdrawals from AEON ATM's this year and there was no 150 baht fee. Is this a new thing then?

They don't show the fee, They add 150 Baht to the amount you withdraw and convert from there.

For proof, check your statements and do the conversion using MC or Visa websites.

That last link is disturbing. I made several withdrawals from AEON ATM's this year and there was no 150 baht fee. Is this a new thing then?

They don't show the fee, They add 150 Baht to the amount you withdraw and convert from there.

For proof, check your statements and do the conversion using MC or Visa websites.

done this experiment before and its been done to death by financial wizards elsewhere on Thaivisa

i bank with DBS in Singapore

i use Aeon in Tesco lotus pattaya Nua

there's no 150 baht fee, hidden or otherwise for me

done this experiment before and its been done to death by financial wizards elsewhere on Thaivisa

I thought so. I have done the calculations with an Australian issued fee free credit card too. In all cases it worked out at the listed TT rate. I have proved for myself too that I do not get charged it. To paz, if you are getting the TT rate (as I do) then that is the best you will get and still beats the walk up to the bank exchange booth cash rate.

I have done the math and I am not charged the 150 or 180 baht fee. I have read the notification on their website which is confusing everybody. I have read the fee will be charged on the 1st of the year.... but who really knows?

well i think you can forget also AEON...

http://www.aeonthailand.com/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/custServicesChannel.do?channelId=-9294&selectedChannels=-8758,-8757,-9294〈=en

I have done the math and I am not charged the 150 or 180 baht fee. I have read the notification on their website which is confusing everybody. I have read the fee will be charged on the 1st of the year.... but who really knows?

http://www.aeonthailand.com/aeon/af/aeon/unsec/custSrv/custServicesChannel.do?channelId=-9294&selectedChannels=-8758,-8757,-9294〈=en

Looks like the honeymoons over.....

Who knows?... it seems that notice has been on their website forever.

I did the math wrong. Sorry for the confusion.