What Were Your Favorite Top 10 Current Television Series In 2012?

Jingthing

edited to add: many people seem to like Homeland. Has anyone seen the Israeli series this is adapted from, "Prisoners of War"?

Yes. It's called Hatufim. FANTASTIC, and apparently they plan to make more, but none released in 2012. Apparently key people from Hatufim have helped with Homeland. Different styles. Hatufim is much lower budget and more cerebral, deeper exploration of emotions. Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order, although Homeland is my favorite drama, and Episodes my favorite comedy:

Homeland

Episodes

The Newsroom

Wilfred

Suits

Scandal

Mad Men

Justified

Longmire

Breaking Bad

Honorable mention:

Downton Abbey

The Good Wife

Treme

edited to add: many people seem to like Homeland. Has anyone seen the Israeli series this is adapted from, "Prisoners of War"?

i like Longmire, Justified as well. Vegas is not half bad, but just not that engaging

Interesting to see how this list gels with some of the lists here: coffee1.gif

With 2012 nearing its end we begin our annual look at the most-pirated entertainment titles across various categories, starting today with TV-shows. Game of Thrones comes out on top this year, followed by last year’s number one Dexter. Episodes of both shows are shared among millions of people, with airing delays and limited legal download options among the key reasons to pirate.

http://torrentfreak.com/game-of-thrones-most-pirated-tv-show-of-2012-121223/

1. Homeland (series still young enough not to run out of story lines, and Claire Danes & rest of cast is superb and much deeper and better than 24.

2. Dexter (though time to wrap up this series, I mean how many serial killers can you have in one city?)

3. Downton Abbey (best drama of all of them I think, though I can't stand Elizabeth McGovern, and never could)

Best past series, that I recently watched and liked:

1. Prison Break - fun, but again got boring finally

2. 24 - was a great ride, but concept is past its sell by date.

3. Breaking Bad. - Just downloaded all the years and started watching, but is very good.

* Of course, Sopranos remains the Gold Standard, and for comedy of course Seinfeld.

** watched Boardwalk for one season and got bored, same with Mad Men. Started good, but got slowwww.

Edited by keemapoot

Shameless (US version) I have never seen the UK version and have no idea what series are currently playing. I watch mainly documentaries as on True that is about all that is worth watching.

The U.S. version of Shameless (SHO) is supposed to be great. I watched S01E01 and didn't like it, maybe because William H. Macy was passed out drunk. May have to give it another try?

Many of my favourites have already been mentioned, so I'll just add some good stuff (imho) that I haven't seen listed...

In no particular order

The Late Late Show (Craig Ferguson)

QI XL

Never Mind The Buzzcocks

Red Dwarf

The Borgias

Veep

Bad Education

The Thick Of It

Leverage

Touch

Strike Back

Mock The Week

The Colbert Report

Hustle

It's actually pretty tough, as there are actually a lot of good shows out there...

Never have time to watch during actual show times, but download and watch when I can...

Many are the same as others have mentioned, but if I had to pick 10, then would pick the below:

Dexter

Game of Thrones

Suits

Breaking Bad

Sons of Anarchy

Boardwalk Empire

Person of Interest

Smash

Shark Tank

The Mentalist

Edit: forgot Homeland... Guess I would trade this for Boardwalk Empire

Edited by CWMcMurray

There has been some great shows mentioned here...and some I need to research to watch.

Rake - AUstralian. One of the most original and funny shows for years. US has bought the rights to remake with Greg Kinnear

Veep -- Surprised this didnt make it for you JT. It was a very short season of 8 episodes but plenty of laughs

Walking Dead - After the deteriorating season 2, the scriptwriters got it right for season 3!

Breaking Bad - always great

Game of thrones - enjoyable.

Sherlock - a TV masterpiece (the US verson with Lucy Liu - Elementary is far inferior)

Big Bang Theory - Good for an easy laugh

COPS - Always entertaining

Dissapointments:

Sons of Anarchy.-- This series has just become daft. What started so well now lacks any credibility. Gave up half way through season

Hey there. Yes, Veep was good! Ten isn't enough!

Thanks all for the quality responses. I thought I knew (and remembered) most of what's out there (current and perhaps good) but y'all proved me wrong (and that's a good thing).

Personally, I wouldn't classify Daily Show, Colbert Show, late night variety shows like Letterman as "series" per se but ... anyway ...

Edited by Jingthing

Off the top of my head, might forget something

Breaking Bad - is the best thing currently on TV, possibly ever on TV. High school chemistry teacher becomes a drug manufacturer.

Game of Thrones - Great, but I read the books years ago so it's not as good for me. A must see, but the books are so much better.

The Borgias - Best show on TV that no one seems to know about. Historical piece set in Rome about the 16th century pope and his family. Fantastic sets, crowds, costumes, and historical atmosphere. Game of Thrones could really learn something from them as their sets, crowds, and battles have all been superior with a smaller budget

Downton Abbey - Historical piece about a Lord, his family, and servants set in early 20th century Britain. A bit of a soap opera at times but good fun

Mad Men - Great drama set in a 1960s Madison Avenue advertising firm

Walking Dead - Zombie apocalypse. Bit of a disappointment compared to the comic, but this last season is improving

For comedy I watch

Curb Your Enthusiasm (they are still making more I think, just depends on Larry David so they don't have episodes every year)

Louie

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The League

Basically, all the good stuff is on cable. HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX and a few British shows. Almost everything else is trash. But there has been a few amazing shows over the past decade.

• Like 1

Shame the thread's slowed down, was hoping for more insights on stuff to watch...

Can't believe nobody mentioned (even I forgot it in my list) Spartacus...

Apart from the comedies (veep (US) and The Thick Of It (UK)) there's no decent political shows any more, of the "West Wing" standard

There's no decent law shows any more, of the "Boston Legal" standard. There's been a few half decent attempts but they keep cancelling the dam_n things (Harry's Law, Fairly Legal, Raising The Bar)

Don't even get me started on the lack of decent sci-fi (my favourite genre) since the demise of Stargate...

BTW, for those who don't know, you can stream older show free online. Columbo, Seinfeld, Family Guy, all the star treks, etc., are all here, and various ones come and go. Just look under "Channels." Also, they have tons and tons of streaming latest movies, under "Entertainment."

It is on veetle dot com.

Shame the thread's slowed down, was hoping for more insights on stuff to watch...

Can't believe nobody mentioned (even I forgot it in my list) Spartacus...

Apart from the comedies (veep (US) and The Thick Of It (UK)) there's no decent political shows any more, of the "West Wing" standard

There's no decent law shows any more, of the "Boston Legal" standard. There's been a few half decent attempts but they keep cancelling the dam_n things (Harry's Law, Fairly Legal, Raising The Bar)

Don't even get me started on the lack of decent sci-fi (my favourite genre) since the demise of Stargate...

Veep is a very good (funny) current political show. I haven't seen it but there is also Boss, also well regarded.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Veep-review-Hilarity-just-a-heartbeat-away-3495353.php

http://www.sfgate.co...rty-2326218.php

Edited by Jingthing

Just a few that I`ve enjoyed the last year in non particular order thumbsup.gif

Law & Order SVU

Line of Duty (UK)

Luther (UK)

Dexter

Sons of Anarchy

Breaking Bad

NCIS Los Angeles

Southland

Weeds

Homeland

Forbrytelsen III (Denmark)

Castle

Justified

Edited by Yahooka

I have done pretty well out of this thread. Most of the great current TV shows have been mentioned and I had already seen them, but have checked out a number of 2nd rate but very entertaining shows that I had never heard of.

I have done pretty well out of this thread. Most of the great current TV shows have been mentioned and I had already seen them, but have checked out a number of 2nd rate but very entertaining shows that I had never heard of.

Likewise. I found 4 new ones to watch

Getting a jump start on 2103:

There is a new show premiering on FX Jan. 30,2013 called "The Americans" which looks interesting, based on some previews I've seen.

Someone mentioned Sci Fi, and there is a new show coming on Syfy called "Defiance", in April, 2013.

And "The Following" premiers on Fox on Jan.21.

• Like 1

JT,

I picked up Louie from the tips here..not too bad at all.

Portlandia...only made it through one episode so far

Does this review of GIRLS have any substance?

Meanwhile, John Cook of Gawker described the show in a negative review as "a television program about the children of wealthy famous people and shitty music and Facebook and how hard it is to know who you are and Thought Catalog and sexually transmitted diseases and the exhaustion of ceaselessly dramatizing your own life while posing as someone who understands the fundamental emptiness and narcissism of that very self-dramatization."

JT,

Meanwhile, John Cook of Gawker described the show in a negative review as "a television program about the children of wealthy famous people and shitty music and Facebook and how hard it is to know who you are and Thought Catalog and sexually transmitted diseases and the exhaustion of ceaselessly dramatizing your own life while posing as someone who understands the fundamental emptiness and narcissism of that very self-dramatization."

No, Girls rocks. Yes it has attracted strong reactions but in my view it is one of the best shows in American tv history.

Portlandia? Are you American? Maybe you didn't get the cultural references.

Edited by Jingthing

JT,

No, Girls rocks.

Not American. That could have been it. It was the first episode so I will give it another chance.

p.s Australian

JT,

No, Girls rocks.

Not American. That could have been it. It was the first episode so I will give it another chance.

p.s Australian

You might never get it then. I think perhaps most Americans wouldn't either.

Portland. The City the YOUNG go to retire!

BTW, Louie gets better and better. The latest season was classic.

Edited by Jingthing