Tea Money For Immigration Official When They Do 1St Yr Housecheck.

Just recently I went to change my visa to a Non"O" marriage visa to a northern Thailand office. All the paper work was correct apart from the usual make a copy of something paper work thats usually not needed. We had the interview completely in Thai, with my wife just nodding and agreeing. The immigration officer then talks quietly in Thai to my wife. The paper work got stamped, my passport gets stamped the same with until the end of January. We leave the office and everything seems for the first time of many of my encounters with Immigration to be going well. We are driving back and then my wife tells me that we now after passing all the paper work which was not easy and paying the visa fee, I now have to have a white envelope ready with 3,000 baht inside for the house check. I know most people who will look or reply to this will say it is not alot "mai bpen rai", but when does this stop?? I was just wondering how many others have been robbed of their money when you have gone by the book and stayed within the law and then treated like an ATM.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very unusual, where do you live ??

I have done my 2nd extension based on Marriage just a couple of months ago, and there haven't been any home visits or asking for envelopes with money inside. I am in Pattaya btw.

It's just an ordinary bribe as the decision of granting you the extension is not with them but with Bangkok as all paperwork needs to be send there. That's why it can take a long time (30 Days or more) for the result to arrive.

But it ain't a easy decision should you pay or not. If you don't feel comfortable paying, just wait for the decision from Bangkok to arrive, and if they "fail" you, just go to Savannakhet (Laos) and get a Multiple Entry Non-O Visa.

Edited by MJCM

Firstly he is not talking about an extension he is applying to change over his visa to a Non O Marriage Visa. I dont know where that is approved. But I'd like to follow the thread to see if he can do that in country. So wait for the experts eh. Also I dont understand his sentence " The paperwork got stamped my passport gets stamped the same with until the end of January". This doesn't actually make sense, OP can you edit please.

Edited by Bluetongue

Firstly he is not talking about an extension he is applying to change over his visa to a Non O Marriage Visa. I dont know where that is approved. But I'd like to follow the thread to see if he can do that in country. So wait for the experts eh. Also I dont understand his sentence " The paperwork got stamped my passport gets stamped the same with until the end of January". This doesn't actually make sense, OP can you edit please.

1- There is no such thing as a Marriage Visa, it's an extension based on Married to a Thai

2- All the paperwork you submit to immigration gets stamped. If you apply for an extension based on Marriage, all paperwork will be send over to Bangkok who will then give the final decision, this is only done in case of Marriage, (maybe also in other cases) but in case of retirement the decision is with the local Immigration office.

3- The stamp "until the end of January" is the under consideration stamp. Usually 30 Days from the date you apply.

Edited by MJCM

Ok. I can see where I might have confused how I wrote my opening blog. MJCM is correct as their is no real marriage visa but it is a Non"O" married to a Thai citizen who is dependant on me so that is why I phrased it the way I did. This is my 1st time applying for this type of visa and an Immigration officier has to come and see if what we said and documented is true. The stamp they put on my two sets of applications(because they need double of everything and there are too many trees around) and the visa stamp in my passport are for 1 month until the 30th of Jan 2013. So from now til then I have to wait, one for my paper work to be processed wherever it maybe sent plus a visit from the Immigration officer.

Home visits can indeed be part of the deal (however they never ever been to my house), but still the asking for the envelope with the 3k is outrageous.

If they would come over to see if our marriage is legit (that's what the whole home visits is all about (I guess)), I would "Wine and Dine" them and maybe give them some gasoline money but 3K, NO F Way smile.png

Edit : // Spelling

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

Ok. I can see where I might have confused how I wrote my opening blog. MJCM is correct as their is no real marriage visa but it is a Non"O" married to a Thai citizen who is dependant on me so that is why I phrased it the way I did. This is my 1st time applying for this type of visa and an Immigration officier has to come and see if what we said and documented is true. The stamp they put on my two sets of applications(because they need double of everything and there are too many trees around) and the visa stamp in my passport are for 1 month until the 30th of Jan 2013. So from now til then I have to wait, one for my paper work to be processed wherever it maybe sent plus a visit from the Immigration officer.

It is not a Visa.

It is a 12 month extension of stay based on having a Thai Wife.

The 3,000 Baht is a request for a bribe, simple as that.

Which Immigration Office is this?

If you are legally married, live in Thailand legally, and have basic, substantiated "joint income" that meets the marriage criteria (very minimal), you can process your paperwork every year by yourself. 90 day updates are necessary, but these can be done on-line (when the system works properly). If you have a lease or some sort of written deal with your landlord and you show pictures of you and your wife in the apartment and at the front of the house or apartment door, include a map you will never be subjected to a house visit, as long as everything is in order. After the first 2-3 years, the process gets much more routine and faster.

You both have to go for the annual interview and the 30 day pending, but your wife or a representative can go thirty days with your passport later to get the stamp in your passport. I have been advised that after three years you can apply for a permanent marriage visa eliminating the annual fee and time, but I have never looked into this and am happy to do the straight marriage visa every year for many years. The marriage visa also allows you to work legally either with a Thai work permit or on your own with income derived outside Thailand.

If you are legally married, live in Thailand legally, and have basic, substantiated "joint income" that meets the marriage criteria (very minimal), you can process your paperwork every year by yourself. 90 day updates are necessary, but these can be done on-line (when the system works properly). If you have a lease or some sort of written deal with your landlord and you show pictures of you and your wife in the apartment and at the front of the house or apartment door, include a map you will never be subjected to a house visit, as long as everything is in order. After the first 2-3 years, the process gets much more routine and faster.

You both have to go for the annual interview and the 30 day pending, but your wife or a representative can go thirty days with your passport later to get the stamp in your passport. I have been advised that after three years you can apply for a permanent marriage visa eliminating the annual fee and time, but I have never looked into this and am happy to do the straight marriage visa every year for many years. The marriage visa also allows you to work legally either with a Thai work permit or on your own with income derived outside Thailand.

The income has to be the Husbands. Joint income is not accepted.

90 day reports cannot be done online. They can usually be done by mail.

There is no such thing as a "permanent marriage visa"

• Like 1

Forget it and waste a day of theirs by making them come out to your house for no extra money.

Get a multi-entry O visa from a neighbouring country, then go on a holiday/trip every 3 months, never have to deal with immigration criminals (that is what they are).

And it isn't tea money, it is Criminal Extortion.

Uhh ?. Criminal extortion isnt shall we say"criminal" in Thailand

Forget it and waste a day of theirs by making them come out to your house for no extra money.

Get a multi-entry O visa from a neighbouring country, then go on a holiday/trip every 3 months, never have to deal with immigration criminals (that is what they are).

Bribery is a capital offense in Thailand, punishable by death (believe it or not).

Bribery is a capital offense in Thailand, punishable by death (believe it or not).

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

It is not a Visa.

It is a 12 month extension of stay based on having a Thai Wife.

The 3,000 Baht is a request for a bribe, simple as that.

Which Immigration Office is this?

Surprisingly it is Nan Immigration. I just read the link Briggsy put on here and it seems I am in the same boat as the OP on there. I was never taken to see the head officer it was just the normal officer who said it quietly to my wife in the front office. I am sure that the other officer on the other desk heard this and is in on this as well. We even got to meet the guy who will be coming to do the house check. Still deciding what to do about the pay-off.

<snip>

Still deciding what to do about the pay-off.

I understand that you are in doubt on what to do, but I think what Lopburi3 wrote is the best thing to do.

Good Luck

Actually it is. I would have your wife inform officer, if he actually requests envelope, that she is sorry but her husband will not allow this on advise from his Embassy.

Still deciding what to do about the pay-off.

I could tell you what my wife would of already told immigration about the pay off but it would be against forum rules.

Now it is up to you. You have to remember that if you let them do it this year it could be the same next year.

• Like 2

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Amazing isn't it.

"Death penalty for regicide; sedition or rebellion; offences committed against the external security of Thailand; murder or attempted murder of a foreign head of state; bribery; arson; rape; murder with intent; kidnapping; robbery resulting in death."

Full PDF on it see here.

OP.

When he comes and it is made reference to, say that your embassy says not to pay it and to forward his name and case number details to the Office of the National anti-Corruption Commission. You don't want to do such a horrible thing as it's obviously some kind of misunderstanding and you hope that everything will be done as they should.

Edited by cbrer

Not only did Lopbur3 give good advise (as usual), I'd suggest going a step further and actually reporting it to your consulate or embassy. They probably won't act on this one case, but if they have several reports of the same thing happening to various people in that province, then they might take it up in their next meeting with the higher-ups in Immigration.

• Like 1

Capital offenses usually are punishable by death (in any country). biggrin.png

Sometimes officials everywhere in the world need a wake up call. More so in " Third World Countries" using the term loosely, I thought that Thailand had advanced just a little bit.

I offered a customs or immigration officer a few bucks in some foreign country I can't remember when or where in my travelling life and he refused. He told me that he was not allowed to accept money. It kind of rekindled my faith in mankind. I told him that he was a better man for it and that I was proud to see it.

Unfortunately when foreigners start giving money, there is no end to it, then more of us are pressured as easy marks by officials.

You have the right, the right to say "No".

Home visits can indeed be part of the deal (however they never ever been to my house), but still the asking for the envelope with the 3k is outrageous.

If they would come over to see if our marriage is legit (that's what the whole home visits is all about (I guess)), I would "Wine and Dine" them and maybe give them some gasoline money but 3K, NO F Way smile.png

Edit : // Spelling

One of the nice fancy smartphones, in a flip cover, with camera on video and in the breast pocket of the shirt can help, methinks.

The empty envelope in the other pocket, so he know how to talk to!

Anyway, I go with the recommendation, to get yourself a multiple non Imm o visa.

As less you give scumbags a chance, to milk you, as better it is!

Will happen, as soon a Farang is trying to get some, methinks

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1