Tea Money For Immigration Official When They Do 1St Yr Housecheck.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local immigration office have no say in the decision to grant your "Extension of stay due to marriage with a Thai"

You submit the papers, local immigration pass them to BK, you wait for Bangkok to approve them.

Once they have put the 'under consideration' stamp in your passport, nothing they can do.

If your local immigration office create problems, head office will sort them out pretty quick.

Just say 'NO' to extortion.

I ve done three extentions in Chiang mai . Had one home visit never once have I ever even had a hint of them ever wanting tea money ... When they came to my house all they were concerned about was that I had a third party present that could take a picture of them with us so they could proove they acually came and checked .... Sound like they saw you coming . ..... Now if your papers were not in order thats another story...

All good advice and taken onboard. I will also have Thai witnesses with me when the guy comes, one is a government official still working as a teacher and the other will be my very old close friend who has retired as a government official and is head of the local Rotary organization. They both know the full story, so when this guy asks and I say "No" for the money. They will be there to back me up if he gets angry about this. Just waiting for the appointment date now so I will keep you informed as this moves along. Again, thanks for all your feedbacks and advice. Hopefully, this will all work out nicely for me and my wife and we can relax and enjoy life.

@Chowny77

if at the appointment date, you don't get the extension, just ask for a 60 Day extension based on Marriage, then you have time to investigate and make travel plans to either Savannakhet (Laos) or Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) to get a Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry visa again for the same reason.

For Kuala Lumpur you need to show 100k in a Thai Bank Account, Savannakhet no financial proof has to be shown (not yet).

More info about these 2 locations here in plenty on this Forum !

Edited by MJCM

All good advice and taken onboard. I will also have Thai witnesses with me when the guy comes, one is a government official still working as a teacher and the other will be my very old close friend who has retired as a government official and is head of the local Rotary organization. They both know the full story, so when this guy asks and I say "No" for the money. They will be there to back me up if he gets angry about this. Just waiting for the appointment date now so I will keep you informed as this moves along. Again, thanks for all your feedbacks and advice. Hopefully, this will all work out nicely for me and my wife and we can relax and enjoy life.

I have a feeling that once the visiting Immigration is aware of the status of the witnesses, the whole issue of the 'bung' will be curiously forgotten about. One would then hope that the approval, once received from Bangkok, won't languish on his desk.

They don't make appointments, they turn up at random to check you are actually living together.

No warning, no notice.

Why not just call the head immigration office in Bangkok and report it

Also contact media in Thailand and media in your home country.

Yes stop the presses, and clear the frontpage, we have a story about corruption in Thailand cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

imo setup a hidden camera and microphone.

Maybe just leave your computer on, with the webcam / microphone recording (But minimised or similar so he can't see that they're on)

First film yourself stating your intentions + putting nothing inside a white envelope. (Since you wouldn't want to be found guilty of bribery and get the death penalty by some weird quirk of fate for standing upto the system lol.)

Then put a white envelope somewhere in view + microphone range of the computer (Ideally at a place where he's unlikely to be looking directly at the camera as he walks to the envelope, as he might realise if he's staring straight at it).

This should direct the officer to within microphone / webcam range. As no doubt he'll expect to find it lying around the house somewhere, or if he asks for it, you can direct him to the table.

If he checks the envelope, and asks why there isn't money. You can then say you need to goto an ATM, and ask him how much you need to put in (And if you're brave, ask him why as well lol).

Then you can phsay that you're sorry you can't pay the money, because of x y z (Something non confrontational would be advised).

Then call the corruption hotline, and see if they'll actually do anything, or post it on youtube and then link to it on TV so we can all see smile.png . Hopefully he won't know that you've filmed him etc, and thus won't have any negative action against you (assuming that the anti corruption officers are reasonably discrete). Otherwise, perhaps we'll read about you as one of the statistics in the news smile.pngsmile.png

Don't try and blackmail him with the evidence, or even let him know what you've done.

Edit: Oh and for the record, this is what I'd "like" to do if I was in the same situation. Whether I would or not, is another story. I've been relatively lucky so far, as other than 1x photocopying fee, where I live all of the officials I've dealt with seem relatively honest (Or maybe they're just waiting until I apply for my Non O lol)

Edited by PapaNasty

and thus won't have any negative action against you (assuming that the anti corruption officers are reasonably discrete).

Please, they'd be pointing at him in the newspapers the next day with 'Farang stands up against corruption' headline and his passport page scanned underneath.

imo setup a hidden camera and microphone.

Maybe just leave your computer on, with the webcam / microphone recording (But minimised or similar so he can't see that they're on)

First film yourself stating your intentions + putting nothing inside a white envelope. (Since you wouldn't want to be found guilty of bribery and get the death penalty by some weird quirk of fate for standing upto the system lol.)

Then put a white envelope somewhere in view + microphone range of the computer (Ideally at a place where he's unlikely to be looking directly at the camera as he walks to the envelope, as he might realise if he's staring straight at it).

This should direct the officer to within microphone / webcam range. As no doubt he'll expect to find it lying around the house somewhere, or if he asks for it, you can direct him to the table.

If he checks the envelope, and asks why there isn't money. You can then say you need to goto an ATM, and ask him how much you need to put in (And if you're brave, ask him why as well lol).

Then you can phsay that you're sorry you can't pay the money, because of x y z (Something non confrontational would be advised).

Then call the corruption hotline, and see if they'll actually do anything, or post it on youtube and then link to it on TV so we can all see smile.png . Hopefully he won't know that you've filmed him etc, and thus won't have any negative action against you (assuming that the anti corruption officers are reasonably discrete). Otherwise, perhaps we'll read about you as one of the statistics in the news smile.pngsmile.png

Don't try and blackmail him with the evidence, or even let him know what you've done.

Edit: Oh and for the record, this is what I'd "like" to do if I was in the same situation. Whether I would or not, is another story. I've been relatively lucky so far, as other than 1x photocopying fee, where I live all of the officials I've dealt with seem relatively honest (Or maybe they're just waiting until I apply for my Non O lol)

Only achievable in your wildest dreams, also a secret recording of this nature is probably highly illegal anyway.

Forget it and waste a day of theirs by making them come out to your house for no extra money.

Get a multi-entry O visa from a neighbouring country, then go on a holiday/trip every 3 months, never have to deal with immigration criminals (that is what they are).

And it isn't tea money, it is Criminal Extortion.

Uhh ?. Criminal extortion isnt shall we say"criminal" in Thailand

Bribery is a capital offense in Thailand, punishable by death (believe it or not).

One wonders why there isn't a scaffold outside of every amphur then.

Be interesting to know when the last execution for bribery took place in the kingdom.

there is a bright side to the immigration issue i also changed my visa from retired to married to Thai lady we had our 1st baby arriving shortly after the process of changing occurred with the obligatory 1 month wait, the officer extended my 90day ext by 1 extra month and no hint of bribe and never has been , this is at CM immigration , the officer who was to have come to the house was to busy so our next door neighbor went with us to confirm that we lived where we said.

friendly CM no problem smile.png

Ok. I can see where I might have confused how I wrote my opening blog. MJCM is correct as their is no real marriage visa but it is a Non"O" married to a Thai citizen who is dependant on me so that is why I phrased it the way I did. This is my 1st time applying for this type of visa and an Immigration officier has to come and see if what we said and documented is true. The stamp they put on my two sets of applications(because they need double of everything and there are too many trees around) and the visa stamp in my passport are for 1 month until the 30th of Jan 2013. So from now til then I have to wait, one for my paper work to be processed wherever it maybe sent plus a visit from the Immigration officer.

It is not a Visa.

It is a 12 month extension of stay based on having a Thai Wife.

The 3,000 Baht is a request for a bribe, simple as that.

Which Immigration Office is this?

Is their actually any point in reporting this officer? Perhaps the whole department is in on the scam. You can see why everyone in this country networks and brown noses to try to make connections. If you are related to a pooyai, you better know one! That's were farangs get the rough end of the stick. But personally I wouldn't pay that 'fee'....

The exact same thing happened to me at the Nan Immigration Office. I just told them I had paid all the required fees and did not intend to pay anymore unless we called Bangkok and cleared it with them first. That was the end of it and I got my visa extension.

Some people who are weak and insecure will tell you to pay, like they do. But when you pay bribery or extortion demands, you just make it worse for everybody else. If everybody said "No," there wouldn't be any corruption. The "victims" of corruption are as responsible for it as the perpetrators. It takes two to do the tango.

Your wife might disagree with me because she is afraid of the police and afraid of losing you, but stand strong. You will not have any problem at all.

• Like 1

You have got some good answers here, but something all the "experts" have forgotten to take into consideration, is the your wifes role in this little game. As most Thais she is probably krengjai, when it comes to interacting with government officials. So she will agree with you verbally and then meet the houseinspector at the gate, paying him the bribe out of her own money, without telling you. Everyone happy: You because, you didn't pay (fought corruption and won!), The inspector, who got "his" money. And your wife, who once again proved that she understands the way things are working here.

The above scenario is more common here, than most people think! whistling.gif

I hate to say it but you are exactly correct. It is all about saving face, and you raised a very good point. "See Na" I think is the correct pronounciation.

When one foreigner builds one house for one Thai women all the women with foreign boyfriends demand the same. When so and so can go and finance a new SUV for over $40,000

,"The neighbors are going to think that you are not taking care of me Alex, that you are low class and cannot afford to drive a new car." " Why should I have to work, my Thai girlfriends that have foreign boyfriends do not have to work?"

"I know you gave me 12,000 Baht last night, but I need a 1,000 now." I'm getting off topic.

You have got some good answers here, but something all the "experts" have forgotten to take into consideration, is the your wifes role in this little game. As most Thais she is probably krengjai, when it comes to interacting with government officials. So she will agree with you verbally and then meet the houseinspector at the gate, paying him the bribe out of her own money, without telling you. Everyone happy: You because, you didn't pay (fought corruption and won!), The inspector, who got "his" money. And your wife, who once again proved that she understands the way things are working here.

The above scenario is more common here, than most people think! whistling.gif

I hate to say it but you are exactly correct. It is all about saving face, and you raised a very good point. "See Na" I think is the correct pronounciation.

When one foreigner builds one house for one Thai women all the women with foreign boyfriends demand the same. When so and so can go and finance a new SUV for over $40,000

,"The neighbors are going to think that you are not taking care of me Alex, that you are low class and cannot afford to drive a new car." " Why should I have to work, my Thai girlfriends that have foreign boyfriends do not have to work?"

"I know you gave me 12,000 Baht last night, but I need a 1,000 now." I'm getting off topic.

It's kind of on topic, if the point is the same point that some of the earlier posters mentioned: Avoid starting down the bribery / spoiling road in the first place.

If the wife does payoff privately, and keeps this knowledge to herself, then that's her choice. The OP is only limited to standing his own ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Thursday; is the set day for my house check from the immigration official. I have already got my witnesses ready and cash in the envelope. I will let you know the outcome later...........

Friday already.

Did you Missus find your thaivisa topic and told you, not to post the outcome?

whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

I'd probably pay it. I refused such a bribe once and it cost me much more in wasted trips to the office in Udon Thani.

Sometimes it's better to be happy than right.

You can look at this as a positive thing instead of negative. The officer is inviting you to befriend them. Now having a friend in immigration is very beneficial.

I have a friend now due to my boss buying expensive things for them. This is the way things are done here. Last time I went, I was in and out in 10 min. and didn't have to pay for a letter of residence.

In another office in another province I had an enemy, who made my life hell.

Edited by Neeranam

I'd probably pay it. I refused such a bribe once and it cost me much more in wasted trips to the office in Udon Thani.

Sometimes it's better to be happy than right.

It's not a country for standing your ground unless you are prepared for the grief that might go with it. I'm reminded ad nauseum that we are merely guests......alien guests. So if Mr Plod wants 200 baht and it saves me 400, I'll do whatever my charming host wants and make sure I don't upset anyone.

• Like 1

A bit off topic but I was wondering having read all the posts what is the advantage of getting an extention based on marriage rather than retirement, assuming over 50 that is.

It seems you can work, a dirty four letter word, but is there any other?

Seems to me to be a lot more hassle, paperwork and house visits etc.

I have noted over time that some farang hand over 2000 B and say keep the change when renewing a visa, I used to give 2 1000b notes and sometimes got the 100 back sometimes not, now I give the exact 1900b.