How Often Do You Change Your Smart Phone And Why?

guzzi850m2

I was wondering how often you guys change your smart phones and why? The different brands keep making them faster - better - more expensive and a newer/ better edition pops up 6 month later.

I have a Samsung Note1 that I been very happy with so far, it was quite new in Thailand when I bought it so I paid 22K at a small shop in Tuk.Com in Pattaya, so probably no warranty (not needed so far), I had it updated at a Samsung shop early this year free of charge.

Now the Note2 is here and the N1 have dropped to app. 18K bath but no way I gonna buy a new, the N1 is still working fine despite my wife dropped it once on the floor in the house and the rear cover and battery fell out.

I expect to keep my N1 for the whole of 2013 and then maybe go look for something else as I am simply too thigh with my money to buy a new phone every year just to have the latest phone.

At the moment every other bloody day, but that's because I am looking at replacing our Bilgeberrys. So I had the iPhone 5 last week, the Lumia 920 until today and now its the Galaxy Note II.

Otherwise, about once a year if there's a device that offers much better features, performance or both. Although I excluded iPhones and iPads, I think they're overpriced chuff.

Heck, I only got my first smartphone about 6 months ago and my first tablet a few months ago....my plain jane (non-smartphone) and laptop was all I needed....and the cell phone was almost 4 years old. And my two Toshiba laptops (still working great) are around 5 years old. Now that I'm in the smartphone and tablet era, I'll probably update in a couple of years.

Sorry, I do not have the DNA of having to buy a new computer/phone device every year (or less).

• Like 1

Heck, I only got my first smartphone about 6 months ago and my first tablet a few months ago....my plain jane (non-smartphone) and laptop was all I needed....and the cell phone was almost 4 years old. And my two Toshiba laptops (still working great) are around 5 years old. Now that I'm in the smartphone and tablet era, I'll probably update in a couple of years.

Sorry, I do not have the DNA of having to buy a new computer/phone device every year (or less).

i always manage to create a reason or the phone has an accident as to why the insurance should replace my phone, at the moment i have a HTC sensation i dont use and a samsung s111 which maybe needs replacing.

I've had two smartphones over four years, still using the first one, a SGS1 variant (single core, 1 Ghz) running Android 4.2.1, and it screams. I also use an SGS2, running Android 4.1.2. (I did have a Nokia 9000 Communicator ~ 2000.)

A Note I is a fine machine which should last well through KLP (Android 5.0) and beyond, so through 2014. I've actually been looking at a Note I as they can be purchased for 13,500 (in the U.S., $450), or 16,000 here, and it supports LTE (for sue with AT&T in the U.S.).

For new phone purchases into 2013 I would recommend people look at models which support LTE band 3 (1800 MHz), at a minimum, as this will be the next frequency auctioned here by the NBTC, planned for March 2013 but that could slip. Band 3 is also used in many, many other countries.

I have no empirical data but my best guess is that people tend to average 2.5 years on a smartphone in those markets without operator subsidization, while manufacturers would like to see this closer to 1.5 years.

• Like 1

i always manage to create a reason or the phone has an accident as to why the insurance should replace my phone, at the moment i have a HTC sensation i dont use and a samsung s111 which maybe needs replacing.

Yeap, you have the upgrade frequently gene. wink.png

Dude, have you been inside my room?

I got my first smartphone 5 months ago while my previous non-smartphone was 4 or 5 years old... my Toshiba laptop is 5 years old... I have not gotten a tablet but I am thinking about the Kindle PaperWhite

i started on the ZTE Blade 2 1/2 years ago from the UK for 89 quid (lovely phone for the money). Then i needed to change to 850mhz 3g to get True coverage so got a Wellcom A90+ for 4,000b (ok phone, low screen resolution) then this year updated to a I-mobile Q6 5995b (very good phone for not a lot of money).

Ohh and i also have a Samsung wifi 7 tab. stuck on 2.3 but ok for what i want.. ICS would be nicebiggrin.png

My Gf started with a Samsung galaxy SLi9003 9995b last year (average phone, slow camera, stuck on 2.3. 2 trips to service for wifi problems. needed a new motherboard) then this month upgraded to the I-mobile Q4 4995b she is very happy. similar size to the samsung but much faster on everything, much better battery life 2200mah. only downside it will not run LINE ping (i'm happy about that clap2.gif )

Edited by thaicbr

I am a bit uncertain if my next phone will be a "super smart big" one, to be honest I hardly use i-net on it except when I am in Singapore, where I then use it extensively and sometimes as a wireless server for my Net-book.

I have also first discovered after purchasing my N1 how much a smart phone can do, it’s very impressive, on my HTC Wildfire I never downloaded anything from the Android market because the screen is too small.

I will most likely buy a tablet soon but only for using in the house and I want a 10" screen.

I prefer a Kindle reader for reading books and I have 2 now, a Paperwhite wi-fi and a keybord 3G model, love them both. Use the paperwhite at home (can read in the bedroom without disterbing the wife) and I bring my 3G along when I travel overseas for work.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Yeap, you have the upgrade frequently gene. wink.png

If not for the insurance i,m guessing i would still be on my old windows mobile from 4 years ago.

I replace them when the last one is broken. Had a nokia 'dumbphone' like forever until it fell. It could probably be fixed.

For work i need access to the latest models so i have a large collection of smartphones.

I just don't have the need for all those functions in a phone, i like a phone to work at least a week on a battery charge and have real buttons and can dial a number quickly instead of sliding and clicking to get to the phone function.

I brought this one with me, previously used by my grandma (RIP) before and now by me. smile.png

http://www.profoon.n...ages/PM-585.gif

For pictures i use a camera. For games i use my xbox. For mail i use my pc.

I don't like the anti-social aspects of a smartphone and i don't have urges to send pictures to foodbook, sorry i mean facebook.

I will celebrate the day when i can throw the mobile phone in the garbage.

Edited by Khun Jean

I replace them when the last one is broken. Had a nokia 'dumbphone' like forever until it fell. It could probably be fixed.

For work i need access to the latest models so i have a large collection of smartphones.

I just don't have the need for all those functions in a phone, i like a phone to work at least a week on a battery charge and have real buttons and can dial a number quickly instead of sliding and clicking to get to the phone function.

I brought this one with me, previously used by my grandma (RIP) before and now by me. smile.png

http://www.profoon.n...ages/PM-585.gif

For pictures i use a camera. For games i use my xbox. For mail i use my pc.

I don't like the anti-social aspects of a smartphone and i don't have urges to send pictures to foodbook, sorry i mean facebook.

I will celebrate the day when i can throw the mobile phone in the garbage.

Oh my God!!!....you may not need to go into hiding from Apple, Samsung, and Facebook-type companies and also hide from the gotta-have-latest-and-greatest smartphone junkies....they don't like talk such as abve. Yeap, we may need to change your name, ThaiVisa name, and enter you into the Smartphone Protection Program...you'll become invisible (except maybe from the tax man). P.S. Nice phone grandma had--really. Happy Holidays.wink.png

I'd still be using my Motorola Defy Plus but my wife wanted it so that gave me an excuse to buy the Galaxy S3. I'll likely keep it until it dies. According to one of our members, that may not be too far off in the future. Time will tell.

I'd still be using my Motorola Defy Plus but my wife wanted it so that gave me an excuse to buy the Galaxy S3. I'll likely keep it until it dies. According to one of our members, that may not be too far off in the future. Time will tell.

My s3 now has a problem with the socket for the cable connection so i will see what the insurance do this time, Apart from the socket problem the phone and system is just fine by me.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an iphone 4s this year, but decided i hated it as you had to use itunes and an oppressive apple store. I gave it to my gf and got a real phone a samsung SIII. Finally the freedom to configure it as you want and just ad a sim to it for extra memory instead of paying loads extra for a larger iphone.

Im quite content with the phone and its large screen, love how you can access it as a hard-drive and don't need a program like itunes in between.

I still got an ipad that i love, but it has the same downsides as the iphone. But for now i still like it a lot.

No need to change stuff all the time, this will last for a while unless i drop it.

I am still using an iPhone 3G had it for 2 years bought it 2nd hand in mbk,time to change soon only because apple stopped upgrading the software for this model so most of the new apps won't work on the old 3G models,next time I go Bangkok probably trade in the 3G for a 2nd hand 4/4s, I defo wouldn't spend 20/22k for a phone ,with trade in I will probably be looking 8/10 k for the 4/4s

• 6 months later...

My first smartphone was the Blackberry 8830 world edition. This was back when BB was the business smartphone of choice, especially for the full querty keyboard I'm guessing back in 2008 or early 2009 or so in the states under a sprint subsidised contract with insurance. Got a lot of use out of it, especially with sms and push notifications. I ended up bring it to thailand with me and used it up until it was stolen.

Second was some chinese knockoff with Java os. Never again, not worth the trouble even if you never have to get it serviced. Plenty of budget brand name phones that would outperform that thing.

3rd was iMobile 3g 8500 sometime in late 2010; first android ever. Pretty good specs at the time, and it came with a real local warranty, but the gf used it mostly.

4th was the Galaxy Cooper in early 2011; my first android for myself. I was probably one of the first ones to have it. At the time it was one of the better mid-range ones that I evaluated.

5th was the galaxy mini iater in 2011 for gf and gave the iMobile to gf's sister. mini is a solid budget android phone.

I was demanding something more powerful to handle my forex trading and other multitasking and after reading a couple of reviews and seeing the price drop when the S4 came out, weighed either the S3 or the note 2 and went with the note 2. WOW. I never thought I would spend over 15k on a phone, but I think I made a good choice.

I would budget 2-3 years for a mid to high range smartphone. Anything after that is a bonus, especially touch-screen technology. One key is to use it as much as possible during the warranty period. I do the same with laptop (almost always on). So any failures can be detected early.

But I am a believer in buying good quality phone or any electronic device and then running it hard for the next 2-4 years. The resell value will still be there if you took care of it, kept boxes, etc. Smartphones have pretty much peaked out in terms of real performance gain vs price. A galaxy S2-type specs would satisfy most casual users and prosumers who don't need a larger screen. S3 just builds on the prosumer utility of the S2; the quad-core may be beneficial for those who do extensive multi-tasking. This is good for consumers because then the mid range phones and budget phones will start having a few more useful features (or less intentional crippling) in the future (like larger ram or tri-band 3g)

Better to research and then buy a mid range or 2nd/3rd from the highest end phone or device, but wrap accessories around it like screen protector, extended batteries, etc that will allow you to go the distance and get the most practical use out of it. Rather than buy the top of the line ONLY with nothing extra to protect it or get any additional use out of it.

Like with a laptop, better to buy a mid-range one and stick an SSD in it / convert the DVD bay into a 2nd hard drive rather than a high end one that you end up kicking yourself for not being able to customize it later for what you want or it is extremely difficult to do without taking the thing apart. Buying the decent mid-range and doing some relevant upgrades in the right places can be a cost saver to buying the high end up front.

It really just depends on what's important to you; that's where your focus will be.

never had a smart phone and have no intentions to buy one. my dumb phone is smart enough to comply with all my demands. its big advantage is that i can make and receive phone calls.

never had a smart phone and have no intentions to buy one. my dumb phone is smart enough to comply with all my demands. its big advantage is that i can make and receive phone calls.

Well that was the initial purpose with mobile phones but now they are more like mini pc's it's quite impressive what they can do.

@ 4evermaat: I agree with most of your post. When my Note1 died I bought a I-mobile IQ4 and it's great value for money, I will never again spend +20k baht on a phone.

• Like 1

Giving serious considration to upgrading my HTC Sensation but am torn between the HTC One and iPhone 5.

Had the Sensation coming up on 3 years and it's been reliable as hell but slowing down noticeably these days.

I just don't relish the prospect of buying one and, within 6 months, it's replaced by a newer model with a really cool, must-have feature

Edited by YeahSiam

First ever mobile was a Samsung ?? back in 1992

Had Ericsson and Nokia dumb phones for years after (ericsson T-10/18/28 rings a bell, pun intended)

First reasonably smart phone was a Sony Ericsson W800i I bought in Hong Kong in 2006 - loved the music player on that.

Then in late 2007 I got a Nokia N-95.

That was it for years - that phone never failed, did everything I needed, great camera, excellent free Navigation, music, interwebs, and best of all it could make phone calls.

Finally got my first Android phone early last year - a cheap Alcatel OT-918D for under $100. This was to see if I liked Android (I did). But it failed a couple of months ago (although I managed to recently fix it)

2 months ago - got an I-mobile IQ-1... so not too often really.

Longest without changing phones was the Nokia N-95. Nearly 5 years.

I have my first smartphone still.....a Galaxy Ace.....when I bought it 18 months ago I thought it was the dogs <deleted>.

Today my friend streamed the Lions match live on his S4......the picture quality was perfect throughout.

I am now seriously tempted.....very seriously indeed!