Built In Furniture For New House - Bangkok Area

Looks like we will choose a new house on a new estate in Bangkok. Just wondering if these (land developers) offer service to build in furniture or better to get an outsider do it? One house on estate with it on sale furnished new was going for a couple million baht more which seemed high. Any reputable companies? The show houses had cheap looking stuff built in but that will be good enough, with kids around to wreck it.

Appreciate any feedback of experiences...

By built in furniture, I assume you mean a fitted kitchen with all the trimmings.

I was in a Home Pro the other day and saw a fitted kitchen for 270k baht, it was crap.

Your problem is sourcing quality craftsmen capable of working with decent hardwood and granite, these guys arent easy to find and arent working for 300 baht per day.

Many of these stores subcontract their work to outside contractors and pocket the difference in what you pay and what they pay.

For other furniture I would visit places such as Fashion Island or Seacon Square, avoid places such as Index or S&B, overpriced junk.

There you will find decent hardwood furniture that will last a lifetime, the price isnt cheap, but its on a par for what other places will charge you for crap.

Others have posted experiences with certain house builders, they dont make for pleasant reading.

Just as a matter of interest whats the developer name?

The house is part of L&H group, not our dream choice but best of a difficult choice just now with kids to care for.

By built in, not only the kitchen, which almost comes ready built (for the cook house at least) but also the main living room and all bed rooms. We would rather have floor to ceiling cupboards and storage fixed than go for the generic furniture that comes in standard sizes to just push up against the wall. Or do forum readers not suggest this due to poor craftsmanship and overpricing?

Will consider avoiding the Index or S&B brands if you think, what about Ikea? Better or worse - but do they offer fitted stuff anyway?

Ok first, L&H is probably about the best of the developers I have looked at.

They did have some older show houses with furniture already built in, but most of the new builds seemed to come furniture and fittings free, maybe you were going to buy a former show house rather than a new build.

Ikea I would put in the same bracket as Index, S&B and Home Pro.

Bear in mind these are only my personal thoughts, you may well have a differing opinion.

By all means go and visit the stores mentioned and see for yourself, the furniture being offered isnt hard wood, think MDF, melamine or formica.

Overpriced and crap fittings and fixtures is one way of looking at it.

For the same price you can have quality furniture built to order, your problem may well be timing, how quickly do you need the furniture?

The other problem with fitted furniture, what happens when you come to sell the house, are you going to ask for say a couple of million baht more for the house to take into account the furniture?

At least with store bought furniture you can either take it with you or sell it.

You dont say where you are located at the moment, if you go to Fashion Island for example, go to Home Pro and look at their furniture, now exit HP at the cashiers exit, turn right and walk a few meters, on your LH side beside a bank you will see a proper furniture shop, compare quality and price.

At the end of the day, these are only my thoughts, the bottom line is, its your house, your money and your choice.

Good luck, it never ceases to amaze me that in a country with such beautiful wood many opt for crap furniture that will fall apart in a couple of years.

Hey thanks for feedback. So definately stay away from the big chain stores I get. My wife chose a small outlet to fit our condo a few years back which is still holding out ok, I'm out of country now but will be in the region of Fashion so may look there when I get back. No rush, as we have another place to stay always and want the house done well over several months if need be. As you said, moving in future could push us towards the non fitted design approach when I discuss with wife now to save costs of moving on or replacement. Perhaps we'll have a mix.

I'm still thinking on going for the cheaper stuff though as we have very young children so can expect some collateral damage and replacement anyway.

Hi. I can recommend my father-in-law who makes custom furniture & built-in's for new condos & homes. Everything is made to order. He will use either solid wood or wood composite material depending on your desired price & quality. For you, composite wood products might be best until the kids are a bit older. He has done full kitchens before, generally he will bring in electrical & plumbing subcontractors for the detailed work; my dad does all the design, construction & QA. I will PM you his contact info; I know he'd be glad to hear from you.

This will come in a LOT cheaper that what you're seeing at the big stores & you will get more personalized service.

Cheers,

John

^^^^^^^^^Just so we can get an idea of his prices, ask him how much this would cost to make, mai daeng wood and granite counter top.

post-39258-0-80191300-1356676088_thumb.j

As I mentioned earlier I have noticed some crap for sale.

Thanks. I'm forwarding him this drawing now and I will also PM you his contact info. Both the granite & mai daeng should be no problem.

Ok, I PM'd both of you my dad's contact info. Feel free to call him (calling is better than email; his English is pretty good but he's kinda slow with email). Tell him John referred you! RGS, I forwarded him your drawing but I think he's out of the office right now at a customer site.

Edited by USNret