The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

champers

"dripping cakes" ...........when I used to make trips over the hill to Barnsley many years ago they were called "mucky fat butties" :cheesy:

Albert Hurst and his pork pies and black puddings was more revered than Parkinson, Bird and Boycott combined. I was exiled from t'other side for many moons. On my first day in Barnsley I saw a man in a field with a sheep between his legs. "Are you shearing?" said I. "No ahm not. Bugger off and git one o' thi oan." said he.

Speaking of which just saw a sign at Food Wave food court at Royal Garden saying that weekends only they offer Southern Thai food by a "master" chef. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing so hope to get around to checking it out. Not sure if it's temporary or not.

Something interesting I have noticed about Smokin' Joe's BBQ.  Every few visits, the chips + salsa and the wash cloth do not make an appearance.  My previous visit last week, nada.  Tonight, they were both present.  Maybe the manager on duty?

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Rumor alert.

As many know Pastrami and Rye Jomtien closed their Thappraya Road location permanently and sold their brand name to some people in Bangkok.

Anyway, their facebook page recently mentioned their PRODUCTS will be back locally in some form in the future. But wasn't more specific.

Well ... I wonder if perhaps that new form might be related to new shop brand going up on Soi Buakow near the Greek Grill House?

It's just a sign for now ... Great American Sandwich Company. 

No on any association with PoR.

A long term American expat and an Aussie are opening the Great American Sandwich company.  After speaking with one of them they are planning to offer sandwiches in the 170 baht range and are panning to be open by the end of the month. Completely different concept to what PoR did. 

PoR is not even available for delivery as they had hoped to be after closing.  Their recent heart filled Facebook post is appreciated and worrying, so I hope all the best to that family to get through this time.

• Like 2

Subway and other sandwich shops:

Anyone else experience if a Thai is making your sandwich they are very frugal about the meat?

At Subway here it seems they put on 1/2 the meat from shops in other countries.  Same with some other shops.

A Subway foot long with a single slice of ham connected with others along the bread.  I don´t want a  bread sandwich.

Anyway, I have to order double meat just to get it up to standard.

12 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

What is your point? It's free....like volume...free...Cheers mate. The joke's on you I guess. I didn't even click! What do you want to know about Dave's? I already posted that the food was good, the portion too small, and the price too high. The combination requires two out of three in the positive or the business will fail. Easy to grasp.Unless he adjusts one of the two negative, he'll close and blame the customers like all the others do. God Bless You and OO.

Good food, but too small and too high, I give him 1 year before he closes.

17 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Tonight is Lasagne night at Retox.  Lasagne, garlic bread, a small salad, and beer or drink for 199b.  The Lasagne is very good and a huge portion. I felt like a wimp last time could not finish all I had to take some home.

Which one is it?  According to Trip Advisor there's one on Soi Lengkee called Retox Bar, Hotel and Restaurant.  There's another place Called Retox Game On located at 2nd Rd and up Soi 11.

Edited by Roger Lee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Tonight is Lasagne night at Retox.  Lasagne, garlic bread, a small salad, and beer or drink for 199b.  The Lasagne is very good and a huge portion. I felt like a wimp last time could not finish all I had to take some home.

Meals at the Retox are both good quality and good value.

I recently had a sour pint of Guinness there but they wouldn't change it or refund. Just tough luck and order something different next time.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Which one is it?  According to Trip Advisor there's one on Soi Lengkee called Retox Bar, Hotel and Restraurant.  There's another place Called Retox Game On located at 2nd Rd and up Soi 11.

On Lengkee.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, champers said:

NB. Robin Hood at Avenue is under the same ownership as the 2 named Retox places. Check their website for details. Deals may well be accross all their venues.

The bald UK guy is the owner ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, champers said:

NB. Robin Hood at Avenue is under the same ownership as the 2 named Retox places. Check their website for details. Deals may well be accross all their venues.

Try and keep up eh? ....... 3 named Retox Venues !

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Was that portion of fries included or was that a separate order of fries?

On the cheese sauce it kind of looks like an interpretation of "Cheese Wiz" which is technically authentic.

The fries were an additional B45.  The cheese was authentic, but as you can see from the photo, sort of glopped onto one area.

• Like 1

Yeah, you're right. That is a glop. It's a very new restaurant. Could be part of the shakedown cruise phase. 

I wouldn't order fries with a large sandwich like that but that seemed like a small order of fries for 45 which is why I asked. 

The bread looks right for a Philly cheese steak. 

I like that this place has such a small menu of some classic items, is not even trying to "do it all", and offers a friendly price point.

They could be on to something ... as in a potential future local franchise. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

Which one have I missed?

Retox original.

Retox Game On.

Retox Darkside.

Add to that Robin Hood and some resort on an island somewhere. And apparently the owner is considering opening in Bangkok.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

I missed out the darkside one. I have yet to venture out that way and wasn't even aware of it. Thanks KK & TS.

A long way up SS champers located on the right just before you start to climb up the rod towards the lake :whistling:

• Like 1