The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

20 hours ago, kinyara said:

Just a little heads up.

Pleasant surprise today on Thappraya Road between Soi 7 and 9 left hand side on the way out of Pattaya to Jomtien a few hundred yards before the Pratumnak lights/intersection. What was the shuttered Legende European Restaurant has been replaced by the former long established " Buono Donne " Italian restaurant, the new "old" sign was going up as I went past so I stopped in for a takeaway.

This used to be a very popular place for years which only changed hands when the old Italian owner passed away. The inside has benefitted from the renovation the Legende owner carried out, you've got to feel for them as they only opened a few months before Covid shutdown started so really unfortunate timing.

The same pictures of the menu items are up on the wall, so if it's the old owners wife in charge should hopefully be the same fresh, homemade tasty Italian food as before at reasonable prices. ????

Legend failed not only because of covid but also because of ridiculous owner and pricing.

Who pays for expensive food in a basement ?

The italian wife was selling the building 25 millions, so maybe she didn't find better than an idiot to rent it and now she think she can start her business again ? so funny...

Cheap italian food is now everywhere, so nobody needs her and she will learn it quickly enough...

A series of laughing emoticons all placed by one member have been removed.

Please understand that excessive use of these on mass in a topic is considered as trolling / stalking.

54 minutes ago, dddave said:

I realize this is nearly 2 months old but for the record, there is actually a passable Hung Lae available at most "Black Canyon" coffee shops.

Thanks for that. I tend to avoid most chains so that's news to me.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, thailandbeachisland said:

Legend failed not only because of covid but also because of ridiculous owner and pricing.

Who pays for expensive food in a basement ?

The italian wife was selling the building 25 millions, so maybe she didn't find better than an idiot to rent it and now she think she can start her business again ? so funny...

Cheap italian food is now everywhere, so nobody needs her and she will learn it quickly enough...

I don't mind paying 20 baht extra for the pasta,  but I think I'd draw the line at 25 million for the building. "

"Nobody needs her and she will learn it quickly enough" - words fail me, you sound incredibly bitter. Why the hate ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Zaab High

"Better" Isaan food

https://m.facebook.com/zaabhigh/

Pattaya Tai

Roughly across from Tukcom

Stopped in a for a light meal. Chicken wings Zaab High style, Squid Laab salad, sticky rice, and soda water. 300 baht with tip so "higher" than street food or shophouse prices.

Is it worth it?

I would say yes.

This is real deal real Thai flavor food but with an added modern twist.

While the menu is very well organized and accessible this is not f-rangatized food.

Pick your spice level from pictures on the menu. I went with hot instead of super hot but I was still breathing fire and I'm a chili head.

Overall it gets the Jingthing Seal of Approval.

Clean, air conditioned dining room? Clean bathrooms?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, dddave said:

I realize this is nearly 2 months old but for the record, there is actually a passable Hung Lae available at most "Black Canyon" coffee shops.

Update:  Sadly, now off the latest menu. Just checked a few days ago.

• Haha 2

Update on 

Hong Kong Wok

??? Near Ferry port

Pattaya

On Grab

I've ordered numerous times from them by now so I have more information.

While I'm not doing cartwheels about the overall quality of their food I am very pleased that we now have this type of Chinese restaurant in town. 

As in dim sum, noodle soups, stir fried noodles and rice, roasted meats, full meal sets. Also big bonus big surprise some more rare and unusual Chinese regional dishes.

Food tastes are subjective. Some dishes I liked you may not and vice versa.

So in more detail.

Since I really disliked the one bun dish I had as way too sweet I am assuming they are all that way so I won't order again.

Where's the shrimp? Ordered shu mai dumplings. But they didn't have.

Porridges joks I find quite good for a bit of bland. Are they better than a typical Thai porridge? Maybe not

Old friend rice noodles 

Is very regional dish of Nanning.

An acquired taste perhaps which I have not acquired so I am no new friend of old friend noodles.

But glad of the chance to try them. I think usually a soup but their version is stir fried.

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/noodlenarratives/2019/07/08/helen-old-friends-rice-noodle/

Wonton plus noodles soup

Wontons good. Broth meh. They also have just wonton.

Regional spicy beef noodle soup dish.

Liked it. Sadly not currently on menu and I don't recall the Chinese name.

Set meals.

Various options 

I tried the chicken mushroom set. Decent value but i didn't like it much.

Set includes main dish option, rice, and sides, chopped greens, nut pickles, cukes, and soup.

Cheung fun

Steamed rice noodle rolls various fills

I like these a lor

https://redhousespice.com/cheung-fun/

Still a number of rate regional dishes to try!  Plus some mystery risks for dishes that I don"t understand what they are.

BTW can someone give more specific info on the location and perhaps post a picture?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Don't laugh too hard but I had some leftover old friend rice noodles tonight and I started to like them. Perhaps I am acquiring the taste. I usually love sour and spicy dishes. In fact one of my favorite dishes ever is a sour and  spicy Burmese dish.

Chin baung kyaw curry made with roselle leaves and shrimp. I've never found it in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And some things just get better better as the flavors meld...

True that and honestly my stomach was feeling kind of dodgy the first time. I will probably order it again sometimes. I should mention that the dish in addition to being sour is quite spicy. I think many people don't like sour foods.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Don't laugh too hard but I had some leftover old friend rice noodles tonight and I started to like them. Perhaps I am acquiring the taste. I usually love sour and spicy dishes. In fact one of my favorite dishes ever is a sour and  spicy Burmese dish.

Chin baung kyaw curry made with roselle leaves and shrimp. I've never found it in Thailand.

One usual suspect couldn't help laughing too hard.

While I'm here I'm wondering if ALL the steamed bun dim sims are very sweet as the one I had the Char Sui pork? You see that one was in a different location on the Grab menu as the others. Perhaps that was an exception, a sweet one, and the others savory? If someone wants to try one from the section where they're bunched, please post if it was very sweet or not.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Sorry I found the "old friend rice noodles" hilarious.

Yes some Chinese food names are wonderfully evocative. Such as the origin name of the famous mapo tofu which is Pock-marked old woman's tofu. Hopefully an old friend isn't an ingredient in the noodles.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

if you like PANCAKES, the french type which is food, not sweet, go to jomtien night market !

I ate there the best pancakes with chicken since travelling to France.

and all the Georgian food at this beach market is so great ! made fresh daily, I couldn't believe that you can buy this for so cheap.

they sell crepes with chicken (what they call pancake) and also many georgia country dishes that are all as good !

market stakk a bit on the rear, but it's really worth going if you have an idea about what is good food.

Pancakes with Meat Recipe | Kashewar Recipes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vidgra said:

if you like PANCAKES, the french type which is food, not sweet, go to jomtien night market !

I ate there the best pancakes with chicken since travelling to France.

and all the Georgian food at this beach market is so great ! made fresh daily, I couldn't believe that you can buy this for so cheap.

they sell crepes with chicken (what they call pancake) and also many georgia country dishes that are all as good !

market stakk a bit on the rear, but it's really worth going if you have an idea about what is good food.

Pancakes with Meat Recipe | Kashewar Recipes

Thanks for that. Sounds like a possible real find. I love Georgian food. When there used to be so many more Russian types here, etc., there were multiple options for Georgian food so I have only tried it locally.

As far as French crepes, those don't really look like the kind of savory French Breton crepes that I know which are flat and darker grained not rolled but if what they have tastes good, then no problem. I guess those are Georgian and or Russian style.

BTW, I suggest this youtube channel of a colorful Russian guy exiled in Georgia.

NFKRZ

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Hong Kong Wok in Pattaya- where is it? My googling turns up nada.

That's right. Nothing. I guess its new. Do you have Grab? Its on it  The map there roughly shows it near the Ferry Port.

If someone goes please post location details and ideally photos.

Grab works for me. Only 10 baht delivery and their food type delivers well.

BTW their menu has been different every day! New stuff there. Old stuff gone. I like the drama.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1