The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Don Pepe Spanish / Tapas

Tapas Bar - Don Pepe Pattaya - Home | Facebook

Don Pepe's is now offering a very attractive three course lunch set for 499, daily 12 to 4.

Tapas choice:

Gazpacho Cold vegetable Soup / Pork meatballs with three sauces / Tortilla Espanol (Potato with egg)

Main choice:

Merluza fish with green sauce / Chicken Gorgonzola / Seafood Paella for one

Dessert choice:

Crema Catalona with fruit / Rice pudding papaya / Spanish churros chocolate sauce

Add a glass of their excellent Sangria 199 and make it a "party" 

Tax is added. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pardon this diversion into a general food discussion but before in reference to Lung Chef restaurant I mentioned that they serve Thai jasmine rice and that jasmine rice which has a distinct fragrance and stronger flavor isn't the best match for Chinese food 

Yes I do believe that but there are exceptions discussed in this link.

https://kitchenambition.com/what-goes-with-jasmine-rice/

I also think jasmine rice is wrong for some common Thai dishes as well such as pad krapao.

For me the perfect match for jasmine rice is Thai green curry.

Today I tried the beef with pumpkin massaman from Lung Chef and it was excellent. I think surely among the best massaman dishes in town. 280 baht on Food Panda.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Today I tried the beef with pumpkin massaman from Lung Chef and it was excellent. I think surely among the best massaman dishes in town. 280 baht on Food Panda.

Seems a tad expensive?

Will have to try the Hang Lay from Lung Chef restaurant..................Hang Lay is hard to find in Pattaya

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Seems a tad expensive?

Will have to try the Hang Lay from Lung Chef restaurant..................Hang Lay is hard to find in Pattaya

no it's correct for a dish that costs 50 thb anywhere else...

how much I would be proud to be a restaurant owner cheating all those people who know nothing...

6 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Seems a tad expensive?

I agree but that is the Food Panda price. I don't know the price in house. Can someone kindly report it?

But regardless of the price it is quite a special version of Massaman.

It features very large chunks of delicious beef with the squash pieces in a scrumptious curry sauce  Served in a carved out squash which could be seen as a gimmick. Some roti pieces are included but you still need rice. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thierryviteau said:

how much I would be proud to be a restaurant owner cheating all those people who know nothing...

It really is a higher quality version than usual. Restaurants are not cheating at all if customers see the price and agree to it especially if they like the food so much that they order again. Don't get me wrong. Of course many restaurants are rip offs serving low quality for high prices. Just don't go back!

13 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Been available at the Northern Thai place off Third Road, for decades.

Sure but the vast majority of local Thai restaurants don't have it because its a regional Northern Lanna dish.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thierryviteau said:

How is it cheating if you know the price before you order? 

And if you don't know the price before you order, you need to be cheated a few times anyways...

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 4:07 AM, Jingthing said:

Marco's Italian

Specifically PIZZA

Specifically their MONTHLY SPECIAL pizza

Specifically THIS month's monthly special pizza

Tappraya Road Jomtien

Grab, and other apps

Marco's Pattaya - Restaurant Pizzeria Pattaya (marcospattaya.com)

A lot of people know Marcos and have their opinions about it. My opinion is that they have strengths and weaknesses but that overall it's a worthy Italian restaurant choice.

At present there is no pizza brand in Pattaya that blows me away but I think Marco's pizza is pretty, pretty good. Their calzone too.

It's an Italian style that doesn't have a crispy crust (which works for me). 

If their menu is new to you their regular pizza menu has some interesting and unusual choices.

But their monthly special's pizzas are another level.

Last month they had a pizza with walnuts and it was exceptional.

This month the special includes ground wagyu beef, pepperoni, and green pepper (380). 

Americans take note. The flavor experience of this combination came across as an American style, kind of like the experience of ordering a "meat locker" pizza. While it wasn't all that much meat, it had a generous amount of grease, which may sound like a bad thing, but as far as flavor was actually a good thing. Actually, seriously SCRUMPTIOUS. 

It was my favorite pizza from Marco's ever. 

This month only.

Warning: Either eat it in house or live close to the restaurant.  Their pizzas don't deliver all that well as far as going cold.  Especially for this variety with the grease feature, you want it HOT!

What was last month's special is now on their regular pizza menu.

I guess people liked it?

This month the special includes ground wagyu beef, pepperoni, and green pepper (380). 

San Kan Eang

Naklua

I recently had the khao suan kwang chicken from this place delivered by Panda. 120 for half.

That is a special variation of gai yang Thai grilled chicken:

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/grilled-chicken-khon-kaen-restaurant/

This version didn't seem to be scrawny free range chicken but it did have other qualities of this dish. The som tum was good too as expected.

I would order again.

But as I'm in Jomtien Naklua is far.

Does anyone have suggestions for other more central locations etc.that specifically serve khao suan kwang chicken?

NOT regular gai yang please.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:30 PM, Jingthing said:

San Kan Eang

Naklua

I recently had the khao suan kwang chicken from this place delivered by Panda. 120 for half.

Does anyone have suggestions for other more central locations etc.that specifically serve khao suan kwang chicken?

NOT regular gai yang please.

The closest place I know for khao suan kwang chicken is in Bangkok:

https://goo.gl/maps/Nk5REwnnUiQipij9A

Khun Jingthing - I’m the guy that makes mistakes. Help me please. In my Food Panda, the restaurant you recently applauded is called “E San Kun Eang”; not easy to find if not using the “E”. What I’m shown is a menu almost entirely in English. khao suan kwang chicken couldn’t be found by me. I understand the description of most dishes, btw- thanks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Khun Jingthing - I’m the guy that makes mistakes. Help me please. In my Food Panda, the restaurant you recently applauded is called “E San Kun Eang”; not easy to find if not using the “E”. What I’m shown is a menu almost entirely in English. khao suan kwang chicken couldn’t be found by me. I understand the description of most dishes, btw- thanks.

They run out of the dish so presumably it gets removed from the menu when that happens. 

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2022 at 3:59 PM, Espanol said:

PIZZA ITALY
420/163 moo9 soi buakhaow

https://goo.gl/maps/46mw64UsLNSHLFNz5

Authentic Neapolitan pizza, prepared in a wood oven in full view of the public and at a good price.
The owner is Neapolitan and prepares the pizzas personally.

My place to go for a good pizza in Pattaya.

what is a good price ? the price that you decided is good ?

15 minutes ago, thepdru said:

someone telling you that you know nothing

Yes I understand that member has been obnoxiously stalking me for years with emoticons but I still do try to encourage it to.explicitly voice its specific contrary opinions on food and restaurants to support that but  instead he cowers at such challenges.

I have never and would never claim to know everything about food and restaurants but I certainly know some things.

I heartily welcome corrections and different opinions but I truly hate being trolled and persistently stalked.

As far as that Isaan restaurant in question yes the member is correct about the English in their menu. However I just checked my order history and the special chicken dish I suggested is clearly listed but shaded out as NOT CURRENLY AVAILABLE.

So as long as that is the case if you are able to view their menu on Panda then it wouldn't show up at all there unless and until they have it again.

Cheers

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, thepdru said:

what is a good price ? the price that you decided is good ?

I have enjoyed pizza there as well. Not at the level that would excite me but if you're in the area and want pizza, worth a try.

Of course as your post implies perceptions of price value are very subjective.

In that case I would say the prices are fair for the local market and quality offered 

Its no secret that pizza is a money machine for many restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...